Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maui Tiki Ceramics - by TikiRob

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 260 replies

Congrats on a successful big project! I picked up a lot of cool tips from that book too, well worth the 3 bucks.

M

My stamp could have been better which would have saved me HOURS of clean-up. Next time I'm making a stamp from a digital file! Maybe I'll use claystamp.com or buy a rubber stamp making kit. Anyone have experience stamping rubber stamps into clay?

I think the pendants turned out great, thanks for sharing the process with us!

LT

Those are great - I want one (or two)!

S

Nice work Rob. Unfortunately i have a habit of starting new projects before i finish old ones. Pendants/tiles is on my list of next of things to do list.

U

Aloha MauiTiki,

I have enjoyed your thread and following your beautiful work! your pendents turned out great, congrats! I was wondering if you could shed some light for me, on the brown ones with what looks like natural or yellow lines, I've been trying to get that effect on some of my Kahiki pieces. For some reason I just can't wrap my head around it.

Mahalo,
Linda

M

Hi Mikey, I'm just learning so it's fun to share and learn what others are doing.

LOL, you'll have to bring a friend to the Anniversary Party to get two!

Swizzle, I always have several projects going at once, but when deadlines are involved some jobs take priority.

Umeone, I've been testing glazes and painting dark colors then sponging away the excess before spraying the main color which gives the dark lines. I found it can work with light colors too if you use the right combination of glazes and don't get the top color too thick. I only did a few of these because it's a delicate process to get it just right. Making pendants is a great way to test glazes and techniques!

WOW what more is there to say! Wendy

Hey Rob, GREAT JOB BRA!! I like all the glaze choices you used.. Wish we could go to the party over there in Kona.. :( It's like a 10min plane ride over there but about 200 $$$..
After the holidays hopefully..

M

Thanks Wendy!

Yeah beachbumz, I wish the $$ I made making them would cover a trip over for the anniversary party. But sadly the airfare, car rental and condo would make for an expensive weekend.

They need to change their anniversary so it doesn't fall so close to the holidays!! :)

I just wanted to pop on here and say that you do amazing work!

When Brice and Lisa mentioned that you did the pendents, I got so excited. So I cant wait till monday to get mine!

M

The post office temporarily lost the pendants! Yikes! The were supposed to be delivered on the 29th and still are not there. The tracking has been updated (the box was located) and hopefully they arrive today.

Lisa and Brice still need to string them for Monday.

B

Glad to hear they found it Rob, that would have been a BIG bummer..ya??
Ok, so now go start that kiln up already, I wanna glaze this weekend! :D

The pendents made it to the event in time!

I just wanted to say a big mahalo for the amazing work you put into them, it was a smash at the party. I know I will cherish mine for years to come.

I also took a ton of pics of the party which should be up on the Okolemaluna facebook page and on Careless Navigator shortly.

M

On 2011-12-09 12:50, Rumdumpster wrote:
The pendents made it to the event in time!

I just wanted to say a big mahalo for the amazing work you put into them, it was a smash at the party. I know I will cherish mine for years to come.

I also took a ton of pics of the party which should be up on the Okolemaluna facebook page and on Careless Navigator shortly.

Thanks, what color pendant did you get? I'll check for your photos on their Facebook page.

M

What's happening Tiki People? It's been a while since I posted, but I have a new project in the works so I'm gearing up to start posting some pics.

Before I get started on the new project I wanted to post a couple pics of a mug I made recently for Gecko.

I'm going to make a few Kamalo mugs with this woodgrain and glaze technique. Watch for them on eBay!

Aloha!
-Rob

Looks just like him! :D

On 2012-03-22 21:02, MauiTiki wrote:
What's happening Tiki People? It's been a while since I posted, but I have a new project in the works so I'm gearing up to start posting some pics.

Put it in high gear already MauiTiki...New Top Secret Project?? Let's see some pictures... :wink:

S

On 2012-03-23 00:12, Beachbumz wrote:
Put it in high gear already MauiTiki...New Top Secret Project?? Let's see some pictures... :wink:

Exactly. Where ya been?

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 03:10:52 ]

Gecko sent me this photo from his living room shelf. I'm humbled to be on the same shelf with mugs from the best mug makers in the world at my mug making idol's house!

M

Look what I found at Ross a few months back....

With some rope and a little help from my Tiki firends look what I got!

Best part is that it already has the hole so I can wire it for a light!

Just got to get rolling on my tiki room so I have a place to hang it.

Fanstastic! Wish I had a Ross nearby.

M

Having fun with Geckos!
here are a few shots of the latest "wood Grain" mugs.

This one is smooth...

Did I show you the Octo Mug?

Working more on my NEW project tonight!

Aloha!

Like that rustic looking wood grain & great glaze choice for the octopus

You know I love Gecko'z! Very nice octopus too. Wendy

The Octo Mug is Incredible !

Those two mugs turned out beautiful and distinctive. I enjoy the blue octopus.

Sweet!

T

I bought that same vase design at a Home Goods a couple years ago, but its pretty big and never finished netting it yet. Mine is green.

I like all those critters you added to the mugs

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

TeaKey, when you are ready to tie the rope, get about twice as much rope as you think you'll need. It took 100 feet to make my 18 inch float.

Aloah!

T

wondering if you saw this yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/i573-g-Tiki-Bar-is-OPEN-Mask-Display-NR-Neon-Light-Sign-/130688991167?pt=BI_Signage&hash=item1e6dabbfbf#ht_4048wt_956

There your tiki, and probably cause you had these made overseas, the mugs

T

http://www.ebay.com/itm/i573-g-Tiki-Bar-is-OPEN-Mask-Display-NR-Neon-Light-Sign-/130688991167?pt=BI_Signage&hash=item1e6dabbfbf#ht_4048wt_956

M

On 2012-04-30 17:48, teaKEY wrote:

Yes teaKEY... Funny story. Beachbumz pointed these out to me a couple years back. I emailed the guy and said he had basically stolen my design and couldn't use it. Although he is not really competing with me, so if he sent me one for free I would allow him to continue to sell my design.

I got a 3 word response...

"What's your address?"

So I have one on my desk. Some of the owners of my original mugs have bought them. They are pretty cool and cheap.

Thanks for recognizing the4 design and thinking of me!

What are you making now? Wendy

M

Hi Wendy. I spent the day in Sac last week and thought of you. I wish I had more time. I've got some skulls in the works. Not sure I can post photos from my phone. Follow me on instagram @tikirob to see photos of all my works in progress.
Aloha. Rob

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2012-07-19 20:12 ]

Rob I wish you could have come over. Next time you are in town you better stop by. I'll try to see your site. I'm not into high tech, Wendy

M

Just got back from a Fabulous weekend on the Oahu with Swizzle and Beachbumz. We got to hang out for a day with Gecko at LaMariana and his studio. Tried to get some tips out of him but he doesn't give in.

Here are some photos of the latest batch out of the kiln.

Like Easter Eggs!

Stone-like Finish!

I like my new interior Glaze!

Some Bone in the nose! The one on the Right went home with Robbie to Australia.

M

We'll my "secret project" is now public!

I've been making ceramic Sugar Skulls. I made them to give as a reward on my Kickstarter project. They are a ton of work so I won't be making very Many.

They have lids, so you can drink out of them or just display them with the lid on. I have made a couple with straw holes in the lids. I will only be making 25-30 of these.

For now these are only available on my KICKSTARTER project which is Temporary Tattoos for your face.
Check it out by clicking the link below...

Click here check out my KICKSTARTER project and to order A Skull! http://kck.st/QjRaZj

HT

I know I'm two years late on this, but are you making any more medallions?

Very cool skulls! I like the antiqued look. I hope you have a hit with the temptoos, Dia de los Muertos is coming soon!

M

On 2012-09-08 20:52, Hale Tiki wrote:

I have a whole box full. I'm always glaze testing with them. Let me know if you'd like one!

HT

On 2012-09-09 17:44, MauiTiki wrote:

On 2012-09-08 20:52, Hale Tiki wrote:

I have a whole box full. I'm always glaze testing with them. Let me know if you'd like one!

WOO! I'd like a few. I'll PM you. Hot damn!

Vacations over, back to work. Wendy

HI WENDY!!

You made me laugh!! I owe you a BIG HUG for motivating me to post on TC again. I've been meaning to for some time, but just crazy busy over here. I have been checking in to see what you are up to but not often enough.

I have two mugs in the works right now!! One is done and selling, the next will be available in the next week or so, I'll keep you posted.

Here is my latest design in the works. Anyone recognize this guy? (Beachbumz no telling).

I tried a different sculpting approach using slip as a base...

Here is the final sculpt...

More photos of the finished mugs will be posted later today.

MauiTiki

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers http://www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs http://www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers http://www.hippiestickers.com

[ Edited by: MauiTiki 2013-01-28 10:34 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2013 10:44 AM

Muy Awesome. GROG like.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-01-28 10:50 ]

Rob,

I'd like to meet you or at least buy one of your mugs when I stop in Maui on my Hawaiian cruise in mid August. Would that be a possibility?

LMK,
Lori

Hi Lori,

YES, that would be fun. How long is your stop on Maui? Will you have access to a car? I watched a bunch of "cruisers" walking around Kahului on Saturday. Seems like most don't have transportation so just walk to what is close by. I'm in Kihei and have mugs for sale at my office and also at Beachbumz shop (also in Kihei). Both are about 25-30 minutes from the harbor.

-Rob

On 2013-01-28 11:44, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Rob,

I'd like to meet you or at least buy one of your mugs when I stop in Maui on my Hawaiian cruise in mid August. Would that be a possibility?

LMK,
Lori

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 260 replies