Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

"What's my Beef" with Atomic Tiki Punk

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

TS

Talk about stumbling, and then being pulled into a shitstorm...

First, let me clear the statements that I had made in the food thread, that Randy generously quoted 3 of 6....
When I ORIGINALLY read the thread for the first time, the thread was called "What are you having for TIKI dinner?".
I had no idea that it was renamed, going by what ATP told me after, less than 24 hours before I commented. Sorry, but how should have I known that?(not a question, but more of a statement.)

Secondly, I was always under the assumption that ANY thread within the MAIN SITE posting areas were to be TIKI related, with the exception of Bilge/Beyond Tiki.
Hell, I've even had tiki related posts moved there and still don't really understand why, but I didn't take it personal. Fuckit, its only an internet thread, and if someone felt it needed to be moved, it's no tragedy/no harm, no foul.

Third, I only VOICED my opinion in the thread WITHOUT U-mod voting, or PMing a moderator to have it moved. And that was even when it was under the guise thread topic of "What did you have for TIKI dinner?"
However, I did post a comment on what I thought was considered 'tiki dinner' in explaination that mexican isn't tiki...yada yada, bim bada...Whatever.

If it is a great thread about food, which I believe it is, then people who had been posting on it should have no problem following it anywhere on the site, period. That is of course, aside from the bullshit bickering, and immature arguing that has already plagued the thread now. I cruise from forum to forum on occasion mostly lurking, but when I see a topic not jiving within the category it is presented in, I have no problem addressing it with due respect.

I feel it is not up to me to police the site, nor would I want that responsibility, but I will throw a comment in the thread itself, to address what I feel is the issue, and leave it at that.

And to me, letting this minute issue in the grand scale of things, blow this far out of line is totally fucking stupid. Mai Tai had points that were made clearly, as well as ATP had presented his. I saw both sides of the views that they professionally presented.
Somehow it had devolved way past agree to disagree, and that my friends, sucks.

AtomicTikiPunk, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with your thread in general, with the exception of the title you temporarily changed, that I slipped into, and also that it possibly teeters on the line of off-topic in what i had thought was a tiki food and tiki drink category. No big deal, but I did address it.

ATP, I also think you should understand(In case you already haven't noticed), that within the last couple years T.C. in its own way has been devolving into a generic tiki fansite, leaving a 'party city' type aftertaste in many T.C. Veterans mouths...
Maybe it is because we are nearing the end of discovery of "Mid Century Tiki", and most questions or items have already been unearthed, or the questioned background has been resolved...I don't know what it is.

Generally speaking of what I do know, is that arguing on the internet is like a special needs person winning 'gold' at the Special Olympics...In the very end, are they really a winner?(I'm just saying, and not directing this to anyone specific)
I think we can all agree that Opinions are better to have, than outright arguments.

Lastly, We all share one uncommon interest, and that is to come here to celebrate tiki, with the main focus being on "mid century polynesian pop culture." I still feel we are ohana, even though there are 'clicks' within TC,(Non of which, I belong to...Thanks for the love, clicky-people! :lol:), and nobody on any side of the opinions should have taken any of it personal; at least not until the direct personal verbage started. That's never cool, but should it happen, appologies are always welcomed. Shit happens, but as long as it attended in timely fashion, I would like to believe most people can relate.

I hope the food thread continues, I also hope that one day Mai Tai and ATP can reflect back on this while tossing back a few cold ones, laughing together; and I hope that nobody gets soo discouraged from posting, just because we might not all agree, all of the time. That is life, plain and simple, and it isn't the end of the world, nor should it be for friendships.
Goodluck to all parties involved, directly and indirectly, and If I should have the privilige to raise a drink with any of you, even better! Because there really are not alot of us 'tiki nuts' out there who try to keep the preservation and knowledge moving forward, as well as partying it up, and chowing down!
Cheers,
-Slick

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-14 19:35 ]

I hope this doesn't damage your credibility John-O, (being the pariah I have become)
there is a whole lot of hypocrisy going on around here
and I am with you whole heartily, Bravo!

Excellent "Beef"

Rescinded!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-30 02:32 ]

On 2010-10-14 19:30, Tom Slick wrote:

ATP, I also think you should understand(In case you already haven't noticed), that within the last couple years T.C. in its own way has been devolving into a generic tiki fansite, leaving a 'party city' type aftertaste in many T.C. Veterans mouths...
Maybe it is because we are nearing the end of discovery of "Mid Century Tiki", and most questions or items have already been unearthed, or the questioned background has been resolved...I don't know what it is.

Generally speaking of what I do know, is that arguing on the internet is like a special needs person winning 'gold' at the Special Olympics...In the very end, are they really a winner?(I'm just saying, and not directing this to anyone specific)
I think we can all agree that Opinions are better to have, than outright arguments.

Tom Slick:

Two things:

The first paragraph quoted above needs to be its own thread in General Tiki. It' s insightful and needs to be addressed. Where do we evolve from here?

The second paragraph is just plain ignorant. Who wins? We all do. Period. Yes, they are a winner and so are we.

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2010-10-14 19:35 ]

Pages: 1 2 51 replies