Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

"What's my Beef" with Atomic Tiki Punk

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

Here you go!, a thread to just unload, disagree, use profanity all you want, goof around, discard any semblance of Manners
this is the place to go instead of being an asshole who has no respect for other peoples threads!
Go to town! vent away.....

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

The Moai see, the Moai like!

Edit: to reinsert spaces after commas

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-12 19:28 ]

You don't leave any space after your commas!

Well we have our first customer!
Boris you are right, I used to put a space after, but for some reason it drove LLT (Kinny) completely mad.
but since you asked & risking the wrath of Kinny, I will reinsert the spaces for you.

Thanks for playing!!!

And there you go Boris, hope that resolved your beef, Now have a great Tiki day!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-12 19:46 ]

Sorry to derail your wonderfully useful thread, but I have some merchandise to move:

**Fall 2010 Update and Product Information **
All product stock availability, descriptions, and price/ordering information is current and correct until Winter of 2011:

I am still producing, selling, and always have in stock both the Scrubs replca tikis and the Original Brady Bunch replica tikis. They are currently available for order and are ready to be shipped immediately.

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my online store click here

You can also email me how many you want and I can email you a pay online invoice.

Scrubs KCBrady Ripoff Idols, pictured on the right, come with a black braided cotton cord. The Original Brady Bunch idols, pictured on the left come with a brown hemp cord.

The Scrubs versions about 4.25 inches tall. The Brady Bunch versions are just over 3 inches tall.

Domestic United States of America prices and ordering information :

These prices are for First Class postage in the United States only. For international orders, please scroll down.

Scrubs versions are $7.99 each

One is $7.99 total, shipping included
Two are $15.98 total, shipping included
Three are $23.97 total, shipping included
Four are $31.96 total, shipping included
Five are $39.95 total, shipping included
for each one ordered over 5, add another $7 each

All items are shipped first class mail 1-2 days after payment is recieved and in most cases arrive 2-3 days after I ship them

Brady versions are $7.49 each

One is $7.49 total, shipping included
Two are $14.98 total, shipping included
Three are $21.47 total, shipping included
Four are $29.96 total, shipping included
Five are $37.45 total, shipping included,
for each one ordered over 5, add another $6 each

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my etsy online store click here

If you have paypal already, Paypal payments can be made here:
Send money through Paypal.com

Enter this email address in the "Send Money To" box:
[email protected]

You can also email me how many you want and i can email you a pay online invoice.

INTERNATIONAL PRICES AND ORDERING INFORMATION

I ship everywhere else for the same price as well.

These prices are for all non US destinations

Scrubs Tikis International prices:
1 is $11 shipping included
2 are $19 shipping included
3 are $27 shipping included
4 are $36 shipping included

Brady Version International orders:
1 piece shipped with international postage included is $11 US total
2 pieces shipped with international postage included is $18 US total
3 pieces shipped with international postage included is $35 US total
each additional pendant after 3, add another $7 each

Ordering information:

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my online etsy store click here

[email protected]

You can also email me how many you want and i can email you a pay online invoice.

If there are any other questions, please contact me through PM on this site or email.

Eat That!
Buzzy Out!

Buzzy! Buzzy.......you know that here is where you post your Spam...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37879&forum=13&12

Do you have a "Beef" with that? now get back to carving those wonderful little wood bastards.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-12 20:14 ]

I hate that he looks better in a vintage suit than I do! :x

Mike! it's the suit that makes the man,so we just need to find the right one for you!
and the best ones are in NorCal these days, but we will need to make a stop in Alameda first
to see Amybean and then I can Bitch-Slap Mai Tai for being a Douche. :P

On 2010-10-12 19:51, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Sorry to derail your wonderfully useful thread, but I have some merchandise to move:

All product stock availability, descriptions, and price/ordering information is current and correct until Winter of 2011:

I am still producing, selling, and always have in stock both the Scrubs replca tikis and the Original Brady Bunch replica tikis. They are currently available for order and are ready to be shipped immediately.

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my online store click here

You can also email me how many you want and I can email you a pay online invoice.

Scrubs KCBrady Ripoff Idols, pictured on the right, come with a black braided cotton cord. The Original Brady Bunch idols, pictured on the left come with a brown hemp cord.

The Scrubs versions about 4.25 inches tall. The Brady Bunch versions are just over 3 inches tall.

These prices are for First Class postage in the United States only. For international orders, please scroll down.

All items are shipped first class mail 1-2 days after payment is recieved and in most cases arrive 2-3 days after I ship them

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my etsy online store click here

[email protected]

Ordering information:

If you would to purchase either a Scrubs replica tiki or an original Brady Bunch replica tiki from my online etsy store click here

[email protected]

If there are any other questions, please contact me through PM on this site or email.

Eat That!
Buzzy Out!

Wait, I don't get the connection of Buzzy's post to this thread by, about, and for Atomic Tiki Punk...OH, OK...Tiki. Well. I guess one out of three ain't bad.

So what's your beef? woofmutt?

I hate that ATP didn't make it to my B-day party last Sat.
Bastard.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

When your right,you are right Jeff,I got "The Van" and I am coming over
I got a present for too!
I hope this resolves your beef.....

On 2010-10-12 22:29, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So what's your beef? woofmutt?

Yeah, I guess my beef wasn't with you but with Bay Park Buzzy, but as you can see below I resolved it:

On 2010-10-12 22:25, woofmutt wrote:

On 2010-10-12 19:51, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS

[email protected]

Ordering information:

[email protected]

Eat That!
Buzzy Out!

Wait, I don't get the connection of Buzzy's post to this thread by, about, and for Atomic Tiki Punk...OH, OK...Tiki. Well. I guess one out of three ain't bad.

MT

On 2010-10-12 21:11, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Mike! it's the suit that makes the man,so we just need to find the right one for you!
and the best ones are in NorCal these days, but we will need to make a stop in Alameda first
to see Amybean and then I can Bitch-Slap Mai Tai for being a Douche. :P

Whoa, dude, waaaaaay outta line!!! I think you need to chill. You know, Randy, me, and others aren't trying to rain on your parade. So I need to be bitch slapped for feeling that your thread should be moved to "Beyond Tiki"? We've stated numerous times that it's not that big of a deal, but you just cannot take hearing that, or anything that might be a negative against your "precious" thread, and you keep using that circular logic reasoning about how any kind of food can be tiki, or now that anyone cooking anything can post there. I know I was being a little bit of a smart ass with the Count Chocula, and the Tums, but seriously, it was a joke - and besides, how do the homemade tacos differ from 90% of what you and others post on that thread. Hell, I'll even go so far as to say that the addition of coconut milk and the added flair of a cocktail umbrella and a vintage Trader Vic's Potted Parrot Swizzle to the Count Chocula makes it way more "tiki" than anything you have posted, and I actually had to "work" on the presentation, which as all "foodies" know, is a huge part of any food prep.

I've stayed off your thread, and have bit my lip as you dragged Randy - who is a super cool guy, and very even tempered, btw - into this ridiculous argument. And it is ridiculous. I have stayed away, and posted nothing all day, and have let it go. Apparently, you are unable to do the same. So, my friend, sorry to inform you, but you are the one who has stepped beyond the boundaries of being a gentleman, and is the one being a douche now. Grow up.

Here you go Mai Tai, here its cool to say what ever you like, disagree, curse, what ever you like
try to take over the thread,go to town.

On 2010-10-13 01:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Hey!

I have read your post, first off nobody but you two dragged anyone into anything
why I am calling you both out? because without provocation,solicitation or invite, you two
jump into a thread about Cooking, say it has nothing to do with Tiki and should be sent to bilge.

a "Food Thread" that is in the Tiki & Food category area.

You started the whole ridiculous argument and you started it in the rudest way possible, Then you justified your behavior
with the "I have a different opinion" card,so it is OK for me to be a douche,because "I am just voicing my opinion!
so that doesn't make me a douche"
"And since I am voicing my opinion I don't need to worry about etiquette or manners! noooooo..."

So then your friend jumps right into the thread & does the exact same thing you did.
never mind that the both of you completely disrupt the thread and begin "FORCING YOUR OPINION" onto Tiki Central members
involved in a different discussion altogether.

The fact that you two have no concept what-so ever just how rude your behavior is makes me very sad for you.
my anger stems from your overall behavior and not that you have a difference of opinion.

Do you really see no problem here? because many others do.

So I started this thread just for you and Randy to voice any opinion you want,because you didn't seem to have the will
to start one your self.

Go right ahead and post away,call me what ever names you want, disagree with anything I or anyone else has to say
it still doesn't make you any less of a jerk and don't call me dude!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-13 02:42 ]

On 2010-10-13 01:32, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2010-10-13 01:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Hey!

Sorry to steel any thunder from your thread, Unga Bunga
perhaps when Mai Tai is finished wreaking this thread he can come over to yours?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 11:14 AM

GROG have Cracklin' Oat Bran and Cran-Grape juice for breakfast. GROG have cereal in Tiki bowl, so that make breakfast Tiki. :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 13, 2010 11:16 AM

Oops, wrong thread.

Grog if I had to deal with your eating restrictions,I would have a "beef" with breakfast!
so maybe not so much of a wrong post?

Enjoy your breakfast....

L

Regardless of where a thread is posted..even way out here in bilge...there are still rules on these forums . Two of which are:

Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but be polite.

Never threaten (seriously or jokingly) anyone with violence. Doing so may cause you to be banned from Tiki Central.

I just peeked into the food thread..mainly to drool over the food regardless if it was "tiki" food or not..and saw all this ridiculous drama going on.

I have come to your thread ATP to say this:

Please do your part to make TC an enjoyable and fun forum for ALL OF US.

Having never met you in person --although I am sure I will one day -- my opinion of you is being soured by the name calling and subtle/off handed threats that are sprinkled within your posts. It does not matter where a thread is..if its on these forums ALL posting rules apply.

As someone who has taken what people have typed the wrong way or read too much into someone's post only to later find out that I misunderstood or jumped to conclusions I ask that you stop with these Bilge posts and go back to contributing in a POSITIVE manner to the forums. I like your building thread as well as your lounge photos...who needs all this other crap?

really we don't

thanks for reading :)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-10-13 14:05 ]

TK

On 2010-10-13 11:14, GROG wrote:
GROG have Cracklin' Oat Bran and Cran-Grape juice for breakfast. GROG have cereal in Tiki bowl, so that make breakfast Tiki. :)

On 2010-10-13 11:16, GROG wrote:
Oops, wrong thread.

double OUTSTANDING mr. GROG.

TK

OH MY>>> look at the big brain on leleliz. she is smart, i think she is displaying much truthiness.

TK

whelllll, wut can be said about an avowed and self proclaimed PUNK. errrr ummmm ahem, nothing bad to say about anybody eveah. buddah doesn't go for that ya know. wink wink nudge nudge.

A

burp

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-10-13 20:14 ]

Was that Burp from the "Beef" Amy?
need some antacid?

Rescinded!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-30 02:35 ]

What's my "Beef"
It is offical, Tiki Central sure has it's share of Assholes!
and being an Asshole is not TIKI!

MT

On 2010-10-13 23:36, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So I am the bad guy here?

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central? Evidently crow. :wink:

MT

That being said, even though this thread got moved to "Beyond Tiki", I don't want to see it get closed. There are people that really enjoy it, so it would be cool if they could carry on in the enjoyment. Anyways, that's my two cents, for what that's worth. And now, here comes my last post on this thread...

MT

On 2010-10-13 19:29, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am so glad this thread is back on track! I am sorry to all of you for my outburst
but since no one seemed to be moderating Mai Tai's disruptions,I took it upon my self
to confront him, very unpleasant episode I know.

On 2010-10-13 22:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Well leleliz,I would say you have a good "Beef" and what you said is just good sense
I only wish you had said it to Mai Tai during his week long disruption on the food thread

please note that I created this thread to get the disruptor's off my "Food" thread which is conducted with
a very positive attitude as I do in the other threads you mentioned.

What disruptions? I've stayed off your thread for more than two days. And did I, or did I not apologize for using harsh disruptive language?

On 2010-10-07 04:25, Mai Tai wrote:

My apologies if anyone was truly offended by my language. I feel that I had to include strong language, otherwise it would have just fallen on deaf ears. And yes, bickering and nay-saying gets us nowhere.

Again, I appreciate the amount of exuberance and ohana that has gathered on this thread. My own personal opinion is that most of the stuff on this thread isn't tiki, and doesn't belong in tiki food and drinks, but instead belongs in Beyond Tiki. And if the moderators decide that there's enough tiki dishes in this thread, and decide not to move it, then no big deal, I've stated my opinion and said my peace. And at the end of the day, who really cares about any of this??? It's a tiki website, not the solution to all of the world's woes - although maybe it is a solution to some of mine! :wink:

Like I said before, what more do you want, a pound of Tiki Flesh?

On 2010-10-08 15:35, Mai Tai wrote:
What else can I do, give a pound of tiki flesh?

I've let it go, I've asked us all to be adults, and I've said that the last thing that I want is for constant rehashing and taunting and name calling to create a downward spiral that is going to get your thread locked. But evidently acting like a mature adult is beyond you. You can't let it go over in the other thread, and you threaten me in this thread, even after you "invite" me and others to post and vent whatever they want without any fear of repercussions.

It seems that you feel that you can joke around in a post, and post pics of tiki burritos, etc., but others can't:

On 2010-10-08 20:11, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Mai Tai,Thank you for the Olive Branch, my PM to you should not have been construed as any sort of attack (facetious ribbing Yes! most certainly)

Talk about being able to dish it out but not being able to take it!!! My Count Chocula post was most certainly facetious ribbing as well. So it's perfectly okay for you to facetiously rib someone else, but not let anyone reciprocate the action. You call me a poor sport, but it is you that is being the poor sport!

And interestingly enough, you then quickly follow with:

On 2010-10-08 20:11, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I know you have other ideas,but you just don't show up at someones house, Then tell them that what they "like" or "believe" is not important
and piss in the pool and kick the cat on the way out!

I would say that's very Bad Manners!

Mai Tai Quote:
"I have no fucking idea how this, or the majority of the posts on this thread is Tiki, but due to popular request, here it is. Maybe this thread should be moved to bilge? Or just rename the whole website BilgeCentral.com?"

So yes! your going to bristle some feathers.
I myself am hardwired to rebel against anyone trying to force their point of view on some one else, I don't care what it is.

I don't see how that's letting it go. In fact, it appears to me that it is the exact opposite of "letting it go". In fact, after I apologized for the second time, you rehashed it yet again! And you call me the one being rude! What charm school did you graduate from???

On 2010-10-12 17:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Randy,This is a Thread about what Tiki Central members are cooking at home,it includes so called Tiki related dishes
but we have established that many of you here don't have a clue what "Tiki Food" is,Hey guess what?there is no such thing as "Tiki Food!"
so you don't have a foot to stand on when you judge this thread as non-Tiki and should be sent to bilge.

It is a "Food" thread that is in the "Tiki Drinks & Food" category how hard is that for you and Mai Tai etc. to understand?

Well, some have politely disagreed with you. Oh, at first I was snippy, and used the word "fuck". But I apologized for that. Others have tried to politely disagree too.

On 2010-10-12 15:36, aquarj wrote:
This thread is fine, but my opinion is that it belongs in Bilge. That is NOT an insult to anyone. Why should it be? What is so insulting about saying that a thread belongs in Bilge because its INTENTION is to be anything goes, as opposed to tiki-related. No slashing. No burning. No hypocrisy. Nothing stopping anyone from enjoying "what we are passionate about" (ie, food) - just take the discussion to the right place.

And your response is usually something like this:

On 2010-10-12 17:39, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The fact that you and a few others feel that you can just show up and completely disrupt this thread "Because you Disagree"
after all its a "Cooking Thread" not a "what is Tiki and what is not" thread, you are clearly posting in the wrong area of TC you hypocrite!

just shows what rude jerks you are,

On 2010-10-08 12:40, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
To those intolerant few who thought we should not even be here,or at the very least try to dictate what kind of food should be here
on this humble thread, do some legwork & get your fact's straight.
Then get a Mai Tai and loosen the hell up.

Oh and Randy if you think just because you have a different opinion,it gives you license to forego any semblance of manners
well that just makes you rude & ignorant.

On 2010-10-07 21:28, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Bazinga!
In your face Tiki-Stalinist! How do you like me now!
Hey Mike can you order me some Tiki Enchiladas,please!

On 2010-10-06 23:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Tonight we had Tiki Burritos....

And then more than two days after I have posted anything, you still feel the need to post this:

On 2010-10-13 19:29, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I am so glad this thread is back on track! I am sorry to all of you for my outburst
but since no one seemed to be moderating Mai Tai's disruptions,I took it upon my self
to confront him, very unpleasant episode I know.

And on top of not being able to let the issue go that someone disagrees with you, because I have an opinion that dissents from yours, you then feel the need to call me a jerk, rude, a douche, a Stalinist, Tiki Fonzi, The Disruptor, pinhead, asshole, etc., and even feel the need to threaten me.

Let me state for the record: I DON"T CARE IF THIS THREAD WAS MOVED OR NOT!!! I don't care if it was moved to Beyond Tiki, or Bilge, or wherever. I've said that before. And because there are several people that enjoy this thread, I'd hate for their sakes to see it get locked. But if you keep poking and taking swipes at me, my opinion on this might change.

And let me state this for the record as well: I DON'T CARE WHAT YOUR OPINION OF WHAT TIKI FOOD IS!!! Whether you think it's Spam Musubi or chicken enchiladas, I DON'T CARE!!! And you shouldn't care that I don't care. So give the whole name calling bullshit and threats a rest.

So here's the deal on what's going to happen now. I could whine and complain about all of this, and most likely get this thread locked or worse. But why bother? This whole thing is ridiculous, and like others (including a moderator) have told me, it sucks that you had a meltdown just because I feel that a thread should be moved. There are others here that might not be as gracious if they were on the receiving end of what I had to receive from you.

But my feelings of not taking any further action is contingent on you not bothering me anymore - that means no "facetious ribbing", no name calling, no threats, etc. I don't want to receive any PM's from you. I am not going to post on this thread anymore. I am not going to send you PM's. In fact, I am not going to post on any of your threads, and am going to steer clear of you on this site. I suggest you do the same. It's a shame that it's come to this, but there you go. Hopefully in the future, we'll be able to laugh about this over drinks. Until then, TIKI FONZI OUT!!!

You didn't hear a word I said,not one!how many times did I need to say it, this was not about any difference of opinion
it was because you are a rude little douche, nothing more.

I have not one problem with your point of view,I have a problem with you!
You are rude and a lair (your statement that we were sending you hate mail was total bullshit) shall we post it here for everyone to see?
and you are certainly no gentleman, So I felt no need to treat you as such.

Since you took a random sampling of my posts and shuffled them around to make your bullshit point (completely out of context)
Man you would make a good Bullshit Artist for the "Tea Party" though, who needs facts.

And stop saying I threatened you, another lie!, you know it was an off colored joke in a post to maddogmike,and was never said to you.
and since I started this thread just so you can mouth off, without disrupting a perfectly peaceful thread,your welcome!
Have at it, And your still a douche!

Oh and your Taco's suck,(a little Taco with that sour cream!)you obviously don't know how to cook,maybe that's why you started all this trouble.

Now I am Done! I don't have another thing to say to you,I don't really know why I wasted my time at first trying to have a conversation with you just to end up screaming at deaf ear's.

And that's my "Beef"

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-10-14 03:04 ]

You two should get married.

S

On 2010-10-14 05:35, TIKI DAVID wrote:
You two should get married.

That's funny.

S

On 2010-10-13 11:14, GROG wrote:

Where GROG get bowl?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 14, 2010 10:22 AM

GROG think it was from either K-Mart or Big Lots several years ago.

(Sorry for the non-beefy post. GROG have no beef with ATP)

[ Edited by: GROG 2010-10-14 10:25 ]

Grog, there HAS to be a better way for you to get fiber then to be eating those crackling oat thingies.....

I buy golden flax seed at the health food store, and then sprinkle it on any cereal....it adds lots of fiber, and you don't have to eat those cardboard tasting disasters....(I know, I made the mistake of buying them before)

Sorry for the non-beefy reply, ATP......

This looks like as good a place as any to plug my upcoming show!
Thanks ATP ,at least you have one useful thread on here!
:)
Aloha Friends!
Sorry I've been out of loop for a few months...
I promise to get back on track with some new Tiki work in a few...

In the meantime...
Won't you join me on Saturday November 6th?

"All Over the Map"
Explorations of and reflections on
20 years of Styles and Subject Matter

Saturday November 6th
8 to 11pm
at the Caged Chameleon Gallery
1519 North Main Street
Santa Ana,CA
(right down the block from the Bowers Museum
which happens to have a Headhunter/PNG exhibition there
during the show's duration.)

We will have food and drink
and the globetrotting tunes of Switched-on-Audrey
who will be our lovely guest DJ that night....

This show will contain 20-25 new paintings,reflecting on some of the various styles and subject matter (including Tiki) that I've been exploring these many years
and laying the groundwork for the next 20 years.....

The Caged Chameleon gallery
(Eric Smissen and Richard Espinachio-proprietors)
have been bringing some of the most unique and unsung artists to the area's attention for 2 decades.It is their unique eye,exquisite taste,and approachable attitudes about art and artists,that have allowed this cultural treasure to thrive,even after 20 years.

I have been exhibiting with them for all of those years,and could not think of better curators or a better venue to celebrate this strange staggering journey...
Please join us,you won't regret it!

I will be previewing a few of the Tiki pieces that are in this exhibit here,
as well as providing some links and other information here....
so Check in every once in a while and get updated!
Thank ye kindly!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=0&2449
http://www.facebook.com/ken.ruzic
http://www.kenruzic.com

A

Wow it didn't take long for my modified Fonz to be claimed as a facebook profile pic!
It was actually released a bit on the raw side, so here's a more complete version:

Truly Tiki Fonz
have at it!

A

OK, I simply can't keep up with the pace of some of the more frequent posting here on TC, so sometimes I'm a little slow coming into, or back to, a thread.

For the record, I do not participate in exchanges of insults and name calling, so you will not see me escalate that kind of behavior on this thread, or any thread. Or in real life either.

I guess I should post something here. Despite the title of this thread, I guess the initial reason for making this was to divert the discussion of whether the What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central? thread belongs in the Tiki Drinks and Food forum. I was off TC for a couple days, and it looks like the topic has been moved anyway. But I think ATP is reasonable to ask that any more "tiki or not" discussion about that thread goes elsewhere, namely here. As for my part in it, I made one post on that "dinner" thread. All of the following statements were made before my post...

*...many meals posted here would not be considered a "Tiki" meal,but the
point was to include all types of food

I've seen more Mexican, Italian, Greek, and Middle Eastern dishes than
anything nearly qualifying as 'tiki dinner' or fare.

What does eating home cooked Pizza or Hamburgers have to do with tiki
dinner?

Maybe now that the title has been changed, a little more 'on topic'
discretion will be applied to the posted meals. More Tiki please.

This is Tiki CENTRAL, not a Tupperware party.

...on a website called Tiki Central, ideally things should stay "Tiki" in
their theme! ...there's nothing Tiki about Mexican food or corn dogs,
period!*

Not a single one of these posted statements was attacked or whatever. I thought it was pretty much universally agreed that the "dinner" thread was not even trying to be tiki-related. My ONE POST was hardly a departure, containing statements like, "people prefer the tiki forums to be tiki-related" OR "as just ONE THREAD I don't think it's really hurting anybody, and don't personally care that much if it moves." And yet I'm the one who gets a lecture on manners from someone who clearly PERSISTS in ignoring several of the basic TC House Rules on forum manners. We're up to five now that are being totally disregarded, including all of the top three:

1. No politics
2. Refrain from insults and name-calling
3. Never threaten (seriously or jokingly)

plus these two

*12. If your topic gets moderated (locked, moved, edited), do not take it personally. Moderating is done to improve readability of the site and is not punishment.

• Beyond Tiki & Bilge: Please post non-Tiki messages that you think TC members will be interested in here.*

It seems to me that anyone who finds it contemptible to say that non-tiki threads should go in Beyond or Bilge, is showing their own contempt for the TC House Rules and actually for the community at large. As for the insults, I'm a grownup and I can live with insults just fine, and I have no interest in complaining to moderators or whatever. But I'm also surprised at how few others or moderators were offended by this stream of invective. Somebody even calls it "smoothing things over"! Glad to see leleliz calling this behavior out for what it is, but sad to see it continuing.

And it really is sad, because it twists the discussion into being misinterpreted over and over again as some kind of personal animus or negativity about the actual dishes that were being posted, or whatever. Witness this thread here itself, which was created to bitch about what's tiki, but is for some reason given a subject title about ATP personally. I defy anyone to find an example of actual negativity about the dishes that were shared, beyond the question of tiki or not. The actual attempts to praise the dishes, and highlight common ground, were many.

paraphrasing: It is us, whose "Art" is "Cooking" that will define Tiki Cuisine today

This is a beautiful idea that I find very appealing and compelling. This would be a very cool tiki-related discussion. I recently read Victor Bergeron's autobiography, and many of his recipes had interesting stories behind them. And along these lines, I like the threads that were recently created to truly promote the discussion of tiki-related recipes and how they could be considered as such. But if you honestly randomly look around in the "dinner" thread, there's very little attempt to relate the dishes to tiki (before the tongue-in-cheek attempts after p.75), or to talk about pairing with cocktails as Sabu described. On the contrary, when the idea of even trying to be tiki-related came up, it was treated as an irritant and disruption, to be mostly mocked. The fact is that the dinner thread is primarily a socializing and sharing thread among a community of talented cooks, without necessarily worrying about whether the discourse or the dishes stay tiki-related. I don't know how many ways to try communicating this - THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!! Socializing threads are as old as TC itself, and they're a natural part of the community, even if they're non-tiki. The dinner thread offers a great theme for a non-tiki socializing thread, and I don't see what's wrong with just acknowledging it for what it is.

And yes, I do understand the angle that the dinner thread has been primarily about food, so even if it's not trying to be 100% tiki-related, people are more likely to find it if it lives in Tiki Drinks and Food. I don't totally discount that perspective, but I don't share that opinion. Carving something non-tiki might likewise be considered appropriate for Tiki Carving, and same goes for music, marketplace, etc. Anyway, that's the opinion I was trying to communicate in a polite way in my ONE POST on the thread.

To reiterate, I hope the dinner thread continues on its MAIN COURSE. Actually I never looked at it before, until it was referenced in another thread. My wife makes some amazing stuff, and she often RELISHes the presentation as much as the cooking. F'rinstance I don't know if anyone reading this would be among those TCers who were around in 2002 to see her easter island yams at an Oakland new year's tiki party. One of my first thoughts when I was looking through the dinner thread was that maybe I could post some of her dishes sometime - which are obviously non-tiki most of the time, just as I thought the thread was. But after all this volatility, I think I'll pass.

-Randy

Randy you have a real good "beef"

Unfortunately you posted soon after Mai Tai's disruptions and echoed his same opinions
it was bad timing on your part and I think you became collateral damage

I did not treat you fairly and was pretty pissed off at that time for an others rude behavior
and took your post as a continuation of that conflict.

I owe you an apology for my aggressive response to you post and find your post here now in its own context
a thoughtful & well said statement which I agree with on many points.

please note that many of the comments you quoted were from people who did not follow or really understand the
purpose or direction of the food thread.

to date I am at a loss as to why the people who complained about the thread did not think it should
remain in the Drink & food category.

Every thread here on TC, Tiki themed or not has many posts unrelated to anything "Tiki" what so ever
so why was the "Food" thread treated differently, and by example then, should many other threads be sent to Bilge or beyond Tiki?

before the histrionics started on the "Food" thread I brought up some of these points,but they fell on deaf ears.

Once again my apologies to you for how I treated your post and you!

I hope this resolves your "Beef"

Very well said, Randy.

I do think that the "What's Cooking" thread became the unfortunate scapegoat of a larger growing problem that a lot of old-timers here have been noticing - namely the watering-down of tiki content in the main threads, which I think is inevitable when a forum's membership grows as large as this one.

However, I think the moderators' intent was to let the thread stay where it was, in "Food & Drink", despite the valid points made by you, Sven and others - because it was one of the least-offenders and had more tiki/ohana spirit than many.

However, when the thread devolved into argument, name-calling and anger, it drew too much attention to itself from many others members who shared the opinion that it wasn't really tiki and didn't appreciate the tone, and asked that it be moved. If the arguments had remained healthy and polite, I doubt this would have happened. Which makes me sad.

B

Interesting - I never really payed any attention to this thread until it joined Bilge.

Anyway, my 2 cents on this issue is: Food is not Tiki, but how you serve it can be...

If this gal danced up to my table with that bowl full of Count Chocula cereal...I would call it Tiki as long as she wanted me to...

On 2010-10-14 14:38, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Very well said, Randy.

I do think that the "What's Cooking" thread became the unfortunate scapegoat of a larger growing problem that a lot of old-timers here have been noticing - namely the watering-down of tiki content in the main threads, which I think is inevitable when a forum's membership grows as large as this one.

However, I think the moderators' intent was to let the thread stay where it was, in "Food & Drink", despite the valid points made by you, Sven and others - because it was one of the least-offenders and had more tiki/ohana spirit than many.

However, when the thread devolved into argument, name-calling and anger, it drew too much attention to itself from many others members who shared the opinion that it wasn't really tiki and didn't appreciate the tone, and asked that it be moved. If the arguments had remained healthy and polite, I doubt this would have happened. Which makes me sad.

Well said Sabu,I am did my part I know.....what can I say? I am not a quiet man.
and when I am pushed,I push back.

You are indeed a wise man!

Hey all:

Drop the name calling and the insults. Drop the meta-discussion of who's right, wrong, and who had good points. Drop the off-topic comments.

Let's bring it all back to food!

Mahalo,

Hanford

Thanks Hanford but the food thing is over.

On 2010-10-14 15:22, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Thanks Hanford but the food thing is over.

Nothings over until someone - I won't mention their name - calls for the thread to be locked!

J

On 2010-10-14 14:38, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Very well said, Randy.

I do think that the "What's Cooking" thread became the unfortunate scapegoat of a larger growing problem that a lot of old-timers here have been noticing - namely the watering-down of tiki content in the main threads, which I think is inevitable when a forum's membership grows as large as this one.....

Here's my beef.

Old-timers like Bigbro, Sabu, and DustyCajun consistently post great content. For any threads that I start (and I've started a lot), I always strive to post good (i.e. articulate) content (even though you might not agree with it).

What I find annoying is some "old timers", based on the fact their join date was early 2000's, feel they can pass Tiki judgment on the rest of us, especially when they haven't posted anything of relevance for a long long time.

If you're going to pass judgment: Put up or shut up.

Thank you for listening.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2010-10-14 19:35 ]

Pages: 1 2 51 replies