Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Squid's Aquarium of Art & Oddities... New Stuff pg. 2

Pages: 1 36 replies

S
squid posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 1:08 PM

Well crap... I have some major catching up to do. I mean, even GROG, laziest caveman in the world has a gallery!

Since I've done a lot of mass produced stuff for Tiki Farm, etc. I'll try to keep this thread to one-of-a-kinds, collaborations and limited/custom pieces. So as not to be redundant, I will refrain from posting my collaborations with the great Babalu. I'm sure they have enough press in his gallery thread.

I'm gonna start this out with what I feel is my best piece ever, Tiki-Kate's cremation urn. But I can't claim all the glory. Kate was guiding me in spirit throughout, silently, assuredly nodding when I would throw my hands up in the air and ask, "Well, whaddaya think Kate?".

Thanks for giving me the toughest job ever!! I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. :D

Here's one I designed & sculpted a few months back for the very cool tiki bar, Brass Monkey in Copenhagen. OK, it's not a tiki mug per se. But as the Zombie is a traditional tiki bar drink and as this is a zombie monkey, I rest my case. Cheeky Tiki in the UK are taking care of the manufacturing and from the looks of this sample they've done an awesome job! This will be available soooooooon! http://www.brassmonkey.dk

Please get one of these before your host Kasper becomes a zombie monkey himself. Oh my he's on TC now! "Kasper the friendly"

And now here's the Frankie's Tiki Room 2nd Annivers .... er ... um ... what? I can't spill the beans yet? OK, OK! I'll wait till you're ready Moss. :wink:

Zombies and monsters and more zombies....
Next up is my latest limited edition mug offering and first in the "Brain Drainz" series, Rotten Ralph (In regular and "Electric Zombie" versions).
And yet another non-tiki monster mug with, you guessed it, removable brain cap! I don't actually have a name for this dude yet. I'll have some of these guys at GROG' Tonga Hut Halloween Art Shoe. They will all be custom glaze schemes.

Ok that's it for now but I'll be digging in the vault as time allows and add new stuff as I get it done.
Well Kasper! I knew you'd manifest at some time. Welcome to TC!
ATP: A thousand times NO!
Bowana: Aren't you supposed to be ruining something?

Back to the subject of removable brain caps, here's Uncle Shrunkle, a collaboration between me and the amazingly talented Bai (whose brain is fully intact!). This is where all the gray matter got started. Bai did a majority of the sculpting from my tiny scribbles and I tended to the technical details. I think she's getting ready to cook up the last couple of these bad boys so keep your eyes peeled!

A one-off for Hank at the Freaky Boutiki:

A couple of T-Shirt designs...

[ Edited by: squid 2010-10-21 17:21 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2010-11-01 17:23 ]

Love it all Squidly, especially the creepy eyeball on the zombie monkey :lol:

Keep posting, I know there's a lot more amazing stuff out there.

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 1:47 PM

All hail the one and only SQUID!!

I had a blast hangin' with you at Tiki Ti last Saturday.

Thanks for creating your own gallery-o-art, man...hope to see more goodies posted soon. G

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 2:51 PM

DUDE!! KICK ASS!!

FINALLY!
Tiki Central Gallery section without Squid is like...
i dunno,but it's baaad! real bad!
I KNOW YOU GOT MORE BEAUTIES HIDDEN AWAY!
Let's see 'em!!!

R

YAY SQUID!!!
GLAD YER POSTING YER LOVELIES!
:D

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 19, 2010 4:37 PM

This one is GROG' favorite.

Squid, I love the way you are talking to us. Makes me want to start adding some more commentary to my own gallery pages. The urn will remain in my memory along with the images of Kate forever. You are also "one of a kind". Hugs, Wendy

Squidquarium

HT

Squid, Nice to your see creativity back in full swing, I guess I will have to buy something to make a display base for it. Beautiful job on the urn.

Release the hounds!!! I love your work and don't worry about duplicating...really now...I don't think we will get bored...LOL Bring out your dead...show em all.

B

Oh YEAH!! The Squids is in da house!! Keep it comin' boss!

I Love it and I want to marry it!

S

Mahalo gang!

Maddog- Thanks. All the classics have a creepy eye so I just lifted an existing creepy eye from some creepy eye painting in the Louvre.
G- Yeah that was fun.. until Sunday. Zombie test runs do have a price ya know!
Kirbs! Thanks dude!
Kinny- Don't you have a painting or something to do?
Raves- I can't post my lovelies here. This is a family forum.
GROG- You have great taste!
Wendy- By "the way you are talking to us" are you referring to my midwestern, slightly drawly, kinda slow speech pattern? Well I can't help it! :D
Dawn- Yes there's something fishy going on for sure...
HB- Thanks! I didn't quit swinging, I've just been swinging away ever so quietly.
Vampi- OK, I'll dredge up the carcasses....
Babalu- Don't you have mugs to make or something?
ATP- I will absolutely not discuss marriage with you, especially with inanimate objects.

OK so I type with 4 fingers on a good day. You folks early in the thread get the personal nods. From now on $5.00 via paypal will get you personal recognition for a comment or better yet ... Little Lost Tiki will pay YOU to post compliments on his thread.

More landfill coming soon...

Can I at least touch them? Pleaaaaasssseee!

B

It's about time, Ruiner.

Awesome Urne! Worthy a queen!...I'd like a Squid coffin, but where I'm going I probably need a Tomb! I'll post you the release flyer whenever it's ready.
Cheekytiki is awesome people btw... incredible how they keep old Britannia busy opening tikibars.

[ Edited by: Kasper the friendly 2010-10-20 15:03 ]

[ Edited by: Kasper the friendly 2010-10-20 15:05 ]

[ Edited by: Kasper the friendly 2010-10-20 15:07 ]

S
squid posted on Wed, Oct 20, 2010 9:57 PM

Newly added art moved to page 1. GROG made me do it. Damn logical Neanderthals...

[ Edited by: squid 2010-10-21 17:23 ]

B.D.R. sez I need one of those t-Shirts, outstanding!

S

The second T Shirt design was done for the distinguished and noble Sir Tiki Diablo. I suggest you bug him :D

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 21, 2010 5:26 PM

The bug-eyed tiki carver is one of my all-time favorite Squid' thingies...

...my t-shirt is just about worked! Rock-On!

T

I just saw the Frankie's 2nd Anniversary mug over at their website & it looks amazing! Hopefully Frankie's will allow mail order like last year. Squid...?

http://frankiestikicentral.com/

YES! saw the mug at Frankie's too, Excellent Squid! ,really outsanding work, I am kneeling before Zod! I mean Squid! now...

L

Squid the retrospective that you had a few years back on your work is one of the events I wish I could of gone to .

Love every direction your art takes you .

Glad you created a gallery thread and hope you post more soon!

[ Edited by: leleliz 2010-10-23 00:28 ]

Well hell yeah!
Those are all super neat things there, Dave.
Never stop creating, please!!! :wink:

My favorite carniverous mollusk does it again. Bravo my good sir!

Actually he is a carnivorous "Cephalopod", he might be sensitive about it? :P

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2010 4:34 PM

Thanks Liz, TJP, G, Mr Mongoloid and Tobor for the kind words!

Well I'm gonna go back on what I said about posting new stuff on page 1. Seems silly to comment on the last page about what's going on a few pages earlier. Sorry GROG. You're still my favorite caveman.

Let's have at it shall we? So Ruzic gets me involved in this Exotiki art show in Santa Barbara on November 13. I met the promoter, Andi Garcia who is totally tops. Big thanks to little Kinny! So if you're in that neck of the woods stop on by and say howdy! Here's the facebook thingy: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=125599247477563&index=1

Here are the pieces I'm showing; all glazed stoneware made from the clay I had left over from Kate's urn. I think there's some residual magic in the stuff :wink:

2-Headed Ancestor 7.5" W x 4.75" H

Abelam Mask 4" W x 8" H

Marquesan on wood 11" W x 9" H

Smokin' Moai approx 15" W x 13" H

People keep unearthing stuff I had totally forgot about. Fortunately they took photos of it cuz I'm not very good at keeping records of the stuff I do. More on that later this evening...

Holy Smokin' Moai! :lol: That's why you're the master!

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 1, 2010 7:16 PM

Well it's not like this is the first time I've been paraded out in front of the whole class as a bad example. Think Junior High (or as they call it now, Middle School) and Squid has just been accused by the "art" teacher of copying the work of some famous artist, publicly. Eeeesh. I had never even heard of said artist but I guess I was a convenient "illustration" to segue into the discussion of plagiarism that followed. Needless to say, I didn't take part in that discussion. Although embarrassing and infuriating at the time, I find it quite hilarious that probably 1/2 of my output in the last 15 years was translating other people's designs into 3-D... with their permission of course. :D

So... F.U., Mrs. (Name Redacted) and the horse you rode in on!

And there were other times when I DESERVED to be made an example of. But I can't really go into that since this IS a family show...

TMI? Sorry. Back to the gallery part of our program.

As I said before it's great that folks keep stuff for posterity or posterior or whatever. I totally forgot about this one.
In the very early days of Tiki Farm (2001) Holden approached me to make a mug celebrating the Book of Tiki and recognizing its author Sven Kirsten for the massive labor of love he had created. I knocked around several ideas until I landed on what I thought was concept befitting the project.

For photo and reference of "the bad example", click the following link and scroll down to bigbrotiki's first post but PLEASE refrain from commenting on that thread so it doesn't get derailed again. Look, read, then come back.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38240&forum=18&start=15

Here's the original concept:
BOT as a base (The foundation of tiki, if you will). Atop the book, a stoic moai having been chipped away to reveal the man behind the book/movement/revival. I ran it by Holden and he was in agreement, so the initial rough clay version was done as you see in the photo.

But alas, I was in violation of the "Thou shalt not make any REALISTIC graven image" rule. I don't recall seeing Sven "recoil in horror" but he did come down to the farm and art direct for a few hours to guide me away from the well-thought out mug I had "whipped up". I sat with him and "squeezed out" what we now know as the SvenTiki. So in reality, Sven should be given most of the credit for that very successful mug. However I think the original version would have done just as well and would have been a worthy and attractive tribute.

Now remember folks, opinions are like a**holes, but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make you one. So don't jump down BigBro's throat. I'm not trying to start any crap here. Just stating MY opinion as "the bad example" for the class.

And while Sven is certainly entitled to his opinion, documenting history does not entitle one to dictate the rules of the renaissance. That's up to the artists and musicians themselves. The good stuff will float and the crap will sink to the bottom all on its own.

Back to the art...Sorry Sven, I couldn't resist... :lol:

M

On 2010-11-01 19:16, squid wrote:
Well it's not like this is the first time I've been paraded out in front of the whole class as a bad example. Think Junior High (or as they call it now, Middle School) and Squid has just been accused by the "art" teacher of copying the work of some famous artist, publicly. Eeeesh. I had never even heard of said artist but I guess I was a convenient "illustration" to segue into the discussion of plagiarism that followed. Needless to say, I didn't take part in that discussion. Although embarrassing and infuriating at the time, I find it quite hilarious that probably 1/2 of my output in the last 15 years was translating other people's designs into 3-D... with their permission of course. :D

So... F.U., Mrs. (Name Redacted) and the horse you rode in on!

And there were other times when I DESERVED to be made an example of. But I can't really go into that since this IS a family show...

TMI? Sorry. Back to the gallery part of our program.

As I said before it's great that folks keep stuff for posterity or posterior or whatever. I totally forgot about this one.
In the very early days of Tiki Farm (2001) Holden approached me to make a mug celebrating the Book of Tiki and recognizing its author Sven Kirsten for the massive labor of love he had created. I knocked around several ideas until I landed on what I thought was concept befitting the project.

For photo and reference of "the bad example", click the following link and scroll down to bigbrotiki's first post but PLEASE refrain from commenting on that thread so it doesn't get derailed again. Look, read, then come back.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=38240&forum=18&start=15

Here's the original concept:
BOT as a base (The foundation of tiki, if you will). Atop the book, a stoic moai having been chipped away to reveal the man behind the book/movement/revival. I ran it by Holden and he was in agreement, so the initial rough clay version was done as you see in the photo.

But alas, I was in violation of the "Thou shalt not make any REALISTIC graven image" rule. I don't recall seeing Sven "recoil in horror" but he did come down to the farm and art direct for a few hours to guide me away from the well-thought out mug I had "whipped up". I sat with him and "squeezed out" what we now know as the SvenTiki. So in reality, Sven should be given most of the credit for that very successful mug. However I think the original version would have done just as well and would have been a worthy and attractive tribute.

Now remember folks, opinions are like a**holes, but having an opinion doesn't necessarily make you one. So don't jump down BigBro's throat. I'm not trying to start any crap here. Just stating MY opinion as "the bad example" for the class.

And while Sven is certainly entitled to his opinion, documenting history does not entitle one to dictate the rules of the renaissance. That's up to the artists and musicians themselves. The good stuff will float and the crap will sink to the bottom all on its own.

Back to the art...Sorry Sven, I couldn't resist... :lol:

I miss this one - I really liked it. It was early Tiki Farm days and it was a great Squid caricature sculpt... ala a DTB caricature mug (long neck/short neck... no neck:). When we scrapped it, I was bummed out. I really liked it more than the product that came to be.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2010 8:21 AM

Master Squids, There is no recoiling in horror from those up coming art show 'wall hanging reliefs' made from the Kate's clay!

KILLER WORK BOSS!

Smokin Moai is INCREDIBLE!
i remember you said you were pleased with it
but MAN! PERFECT!
You just keep going and going!

S
squid posted on Tue, Nov 2, 2010 11:18 AM

On 2010-11-01 21:25, MakeDaMug wrote:

I miss this one - I really liked it. It was early Tiki Farm days and it was a great Squid caricature sculpt... ala a DTB caricature mug (long neck/short neck... no neck:). When we scrapped it, I was bummed out. I really liked it more than the product that came to be.

Agreed. And I would argue that it is tiki, with the precedence of the DTB mug and being 1/2 moai.

So is that clay still in a trash can down there? :)

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Nov 5, 2010 5:58 PM

The Moai is great but so is that bugger that sits on his balls.

TB

Definately.. the best sculpture ever made... this is soooo... tiki kate...
Bravo!!

Don't know how I missed these, but I'm sure happy I found 'em. I pop on TC all day long,
but I was google searching for Marquesan images when I found myself here :)
Really great stuff, love them all, especially the Abelam mask and of course the "smoking
Moai." Beautiful work.

Pages: 1 36 replies