Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Swanky's Mini Mai-Kai Mystery bowl is in Australia!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

S

It is something I have been thinking about and trying to do for many years. I have wanted to create some of the ideas I have been mulling.

I have talked to various people about the posssibilities over the past decade and it has always been just out of reach of becoming reality.

Now it is becoming reality! With the help of some very talented people, I will be debuting my first bowl design next year. There are a few more in line, but, let's not get too ahead of ourselves!

This first bowl will be a real show stopper. I expect it to be unlike anything done before in various ways. I will be sharing some images soon.

I hope others are at least a small percentage as excited as I am. A new site will be coming for these items. Click here and sign up for news and you'll know it as soon as possible.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-01-19 08:24 ]

Can't wait!

Good luck Swanky!! :)

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Dec 15, 2010 9:42 AM

Sounds good - can't wait to see it!

S

I have a great love of the Mai-Kai and thanks to hosting Hukilau there, I also have a great relationship with the Mai-Kai. It is hard to express how great their attitude toward our community and Hukilau has been compared to other places. So, when I thought about mug designs, it was the Mai-Kai that was the source for my inspiration.

I wanted to do something new, that had not been done before, but more importantly, to set a standard that had not been seen in a long time.

This mug inspired me:

This particular mug is from Ren Clark's Polynesian Village.

The detail is just not done today. And for good reason. It is costly! But, that was my goal.

So, taking that as the quality standard to meet or beat, we set out to make the Mystery Girl bowl.

This iconic postcard was a great inspiration:

And that is what we are working on. Vintage 1957 style Mystery Gal bowl. With more detail than has been seen in decades, maybe longer...

Coming in 2011!

Please click here to sign up for the mailing list and keep up with the news.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-04-21 13:01 ]

On 2010-12-17 13:25, Swanky wrote:

And that is what we are working on. Vintage 1957 style Mystery Gal bowl. With more detail than has been seen in decades, maybe longer...

Swanky, now I'm perplexed...Is it going to be the Mystery Bowl, or the Mystery Gal? Or some combination of the two? I guess it's really irrelevant, because both seem like great ideas. I can't wait to see some progress

S

On 2010-12-18 09:01, kahalakruzer wrote:

On 2010-12-17 13:25, Swanky wrote:

Swanky, now I'm perplexed...Is it going to be the Mystery Bowl, or the Mystery Gal? Or some combination of the two? I guess it's really irrelevant, because both seem like great ideas. I can't wait to see some progress

Yes! :wink:

It's really funny you should post this. I was just thinking yesterday that it was strange no one seemed to be making a topless wahibe mug. Apparently they did at some point. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

S

On 2010-12-19 12:40, TikiTacky wrote:
It's really funny you should post this. I was just thinking yesterday that it was strange no one seemed to be making a topless wahibe mug. Apparently they did at some point. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

This Luau Hut mug is topless. That nipple is pretty pronounced! Not that many though.

L

Can only imagine what Bowana would do with a topless mug since he pretty much dominates the handthrown wahine mugs..

Need more wahine figural mugs for sure--look forward to seeing this concept come to life.

Yeah, I definitely meant a figural mug. More busty. Take that as you will. :wink:

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2011 1:33 PM

We are also giving a portion of our profits to the Mai-Kai in these projects.

Here is a first glimpse of the sculpt. Still a ways to go, but, you get the idea. She is about 10 inches tall.

We may have an artist proof ready to see within a month!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-04-21 13:02 ]

T

Holy Moly, Swanky! That is off to a tremendous start. Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

SF

Great bowl there Swanky!!

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jan 7, 2011 6:23 PM

Cool idear.

BK

That is killer!

T

That looks ...expensive. But awesome!

Already it's officially AWESOME! Can't wait to see some COLOR!

S

On 2011-01-08 14:25, TikiTacky wrote:
That looks ...expensive. But awesome!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the price. Part of making this project doable was getting it made where we can price it reasonably.

The Mystery Girl is the first design, the bowl she is holding is the second. It is a small version of the original 1957 Mystery Bowl, and will be available for sale by itself.

The next project is also Mai-Kai related. If you have been to the Mai-Kai, I am sure you remember this lady from Molokai:

Coming soon!

G

On 2011-01-10 10:14, Swanky wrote:
The next project is also Mai-Kai related. If you have been to the Mai-Kai, I am sure you remember this lady from Molokai:

Coming soon!

Ah yes. Remember her, know her, love her... Can't imagine how she's going to sit upright without tipping over though Tim. :wink:

Oh, and nice looking bowl! I'm intrigued by the two-piece design. Get it in the gift shop and let Hazel sell it!!

S

Is Hazel still there? I heard she retired.

Yes, they will look good in the gift shop. We expect to have them styrofoam packed in a full color box for easy shipping and taking home on the plane.

Here is the 3rd or 5th or 9th sketch we did for the project. This is where it started to take its final form.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 11, 2011 10:36 AM

Good stuff, Swankers!! GROG looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Wow, now that's art, Wendy

G

I hadn't heard about Hazel retiring. Maybe so. Lord knows she deserves it. I haven't been there since last Hukilau and can't remember if I saw her or not, so I'm a little out of the loop.

S

An update on the sculpt. The lei has been reworked to be more like the real thing. Hope to have a casting inside of the month!

Swank Pad Productions

S

And now the bowl has the Mai-Kai logo on it.

Have added lettering to back

Moving along well!

Swank Pad Productions

P

i'm curious to know how you're going to get that out of a mold with all those different undercuts on the lei.

it's a great sculpt.

S

On 2011-02-23 11:47, pdrake wrote:
i'm curious to know how you're going to get that out of a mold with all those different undercuts on the lei.

it's a great sculpt.

We have one of the most talented artist and craftswomen in the country helping! It will be difficult, but she says it is indeed possible.

S

Did I mention that this is a 2 part project?

The mini version of the Mystery Bowl that you see in the images is actually being sculpted as a separate piece. We will not just be making the Mystery Girl bowl, but also making this small version of the Mystery Bowl as well! You can have the Mystery for one!

It will be glazed to match the original 1956 version of the Mystery Bowl.

Getting closer!

Very cool Swanky, lovin the sculpt. Keep the pictures coming..

T

Can't wait for this one, Swanky. Are you taking pre-orders? :wink:

S

On 2011-02-24 11:20, Tobor64 wrote:
Can't wait for this one, Swanky. Are you taking pre-orders? :wink:

Not yet. Please sign up for the mailing list on the site to be up to date.

Once the prototype is done, we'll be ready to take pre-orders. We should have the website up for that purpose at that time.

Swank Pad Productions

I'm excited about the project itself, and being able to produce my own designs, but also excited to be giving back to the Mai-Kai, my favorite place on earth!

S

Update on teh Mini Mystery Bowl. It is almost done! Ready to cast.

Mystery Drink for 2 or 1, depending on your thirst level.

I must say, both of these are just awesome! I had the opportunity to experience the Mai Kai for the first time two weeks ago, and our beverages would have tasted just that much better being in these. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Bravo!

V

that is Awesome !

Very nice, Tim. That'll be a bestseller!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 8:34 AM

This gives you a better idea of the size of the bowl. This being the sculpt, it will shrink 10 to 20% in the process.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 6:59 AM

Mini ice volcano in there? Certainly! Gotta have fire with your Mystery Drink! Maybe not ice. Could be a ceramic insert that looks like ice, or, well, we're thinking...

Swanky,

I have to say, that came out great. Congrats.

DC

Too much awesome Swanky

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2011 6:13 AM

Update on the Mystery Girl. Notice the detail in her sarong top, flower, etc. She's ready to mold. Hope to have the first cast next week!

Wow. These look really great!

I'm wonderin' how that flower lei on the mystery girl is gonna cast...looks like it has a lot of undercuts, but then again, my knowledge of such things is scant.

Keep up the good work.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Mar 7, 2011 8:44 AM

Molded!

Wow Swanky, that looks like it came out beautiful!

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Mar 8, 2011 7:52 AM

Side view.

S

Resin molds have been cast and now being reworked for production.

The sculpted bowl was too rough, so, a new wooden bowl was turned on a lathe to get it perfect.

Shaaa-weeeet!

H

Waaant oooone

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies