Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Swanky's Mini Mai-Kai Mystery bowl is in Australia!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

S

Images of the new prototype for the factory.

Old in back, new in front. The ring inside was too big. Once you added the ice volcano, you would not have room for much drink. Black Lagoon turned a new bowl with a proper size for that now.

Here she is in my hands to give an idea of size. She will shrink another coupleof inches once fired.

Nice plug for the studio Tim. :)

The new bowl came out pretty slick, the girl is being modified for ceramic molding now and will be done by Friday. The bowl was turned in Renshape, a tooling resin used by model makers.

Paul

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2011-03-17 08:11 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2011 10:32 AM

That is looking incredible!

Wow, I need to practice more, that's perfection. Wendy

S

getting close to a finished prototype to send to be produced. Various pieces that must be cast then put together to make the Mystery Girl. Should be ready to go this week!

S

Paul and Kristina have worked their magic getting the Mystery Girl ready for production.
The lei was reworked, again. Lots of details fixed to allow for the ceramics mold.

These images are of Paul's final clean-up work to get her smooth and "finished".

looking fantastic!

T

This mystery girl has been working there so long, she has the logo stamped into her stomach. So much smaller than I had imagined. Yet the imagined version was so big you could never have lifted it. Guess since the bowl is detachable, guess you don't need to lift it.

Fantastic design. One of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time.

E

Those are looking great!

Actually this will be molded as one piece, but I know Tim is wanting to do the bowl by itself at some point.

She's in the silicone now for master molds and off to the factory at the first of the week.

We should have a ceramic piece to show in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

S

Thank you everyone for voting us #1 Cool & Current! That's fantastic!

S

Kristina is working on the ceramic molds in order to produce a select few artist versions of the Mystery Girl here. Some pics of her progress as the manufacturers are working out there somewhere too...

The Mystery Men molds.

OH, SNNNAAAAPPP!

S

Here are images to give an idea of the complexity of this piece. These are the molds for th eceramics. Lots of pieces! 8 pieces to this Mystery Girl bowl! Is that some sort of record around here? And that's just to put her together. Then we get to the coloring and decorating aspects!

S

Kristina has the first bowl out of the mold. This one is expected to be rough. It's the process. And it will be used for glaze testing.

With the original 56 bowl in the background.

8T

So much hard work from you guys. Lookin' GREAT.
Congrats and good luck! Glaze on.......

S

Your first chance to see these ceramics inperson will be at our vendor booth at Hukilau. We'll be set up right by the Mai-Kai. Come say hi and gape in awe at the Myatery Girl bowl, Tiki Collective pieces and maybe we'll have more ceramic pieces by then!

T
TikiG posted on Fri, Apr 22, 2011 1:13 PM

Thumbs up! Just amazing -

Now that I do this I can appreciate all that you are going through. That's one super hard bowl to make, you are brave. It is terrific to watch your photos, Wendy

Kristina got the first Mystery Girl assembled today, look for these one of a kind originals at Hukilau!

Paul

S

This is a nice vision! Still no electricity at my house. Digging out from the rubble. Seeing this today makes me feel a bit better! Can't wait for the complete piece!

Holy Crap!!!!! :o

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 10:26 AM

Dasalottawork! Good job. Glazing is gonna be bitch unless you're doing a single color.

S

On 2011-04-29 10:26, GROG wrote:
Dasalottawork! Good job. Glazing is gonna be bitch unless you're doing a single color.

Then file this one under "Bitch"!

But, Kristina is incredibly talented. This one may bring out her Tourette's though.

An 8 piece mold. Is that a record around here?

Tim, did you take a tornado hit at the Headhunter Lounge?

The South, Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states above Florida sure took a body blow from severe weather over the past several days. We had high winds and hail in a severe thunderstorm last night that also temporarily took down our power.

-Tom

S

On 2011-04-29 10:56, TikiTomD wrote:
Tim, did you take a tornado hit at the Headhunter Lounge?

The South, Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states above Florida sure took a body blow from severe weather over the past several days. We had high winds and hail in a severe thunderstorm last night that also temporarily took down our power.

-Tom

I moved my reply here, so as not to derail this thread.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2011-04-29 12:22 ]

Glad you're okay.

Chris
WestADad

T

Yes, I agree. Glad you're all right.

You can check out Kristina's wildlife ceramics here, she can more than handle the complexity of the Bowl paint.

http://www.lucasfrancisstudio.com/animal_art/index.html

Thanks for looking,

Paul

I checked out the site and was blown away. Incredible work, a perfectionist with talent. I'm just so impressed what can I say. Everyone should take a look. I'm going to work harder and practice more, cheers, Wendy

ps the bowl wow

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 30, 2011 6:10 PM

GROG sending all of GROG' ceramics to Kristina for glazing.

Kristina overloaded, no time for Grog crap. :wink:

Paul

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2011-05-05 10:35 ]

S

Kristina has the first of her pieces out of the kiln. She made it!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 11, 2011 6:54 AM

Fantastic!

AWESOME! I was so worried about that firing. I'm so glad to see she made it. What a great thread to follow.

Thanks for the update!

S

She's getting some color and becoming the Mystery Girl!

This project has been very long and arduous. We started out believing we could produce this piece, the most complex and detailed piece done in our Tiki community, maybe ever, for a price that would be also incredible. That's not seeming to be possible now.

Here we are many months into it, and all the manufacturers we have approached have either flat out said no, or given us a price quote that is essentially the same thing.

Kristina is talented and brave enough to tackle this project, and her pieces are likely going to be the only ones of this full on Mystery Girl bowl that are made. We will produce the Mini Mystery Bowl, and we are working on a retooled version of the Girl that we think we can get produced for a reasonable amount.

Kristina may have the prototype done within the week, and looking to have the first few ready to sell by Hukilau! More designs and products to be unveiled as well.

It's been a great project and big thanks to Paul and Kristina for their talent and work to make it happen. By Oasis, we should have a lot to show you all!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs coming Spring 2011!

[ Edited by: swanky 2011-06-04 06:00 ]

S

First test with colors:

T

That last picture makes the mug look a little smaller. You could certainly charge more than $80 because a lot of mugs that have little work involved but just were a home run with their appeal and lower numbers of even 100 go for more. The Mai Kai restaurant could use some of those Mystery girls for sure

Truly stunning!!

Wow Swanky! - I'm in LOVE!

Not with you, pal - with that work of art! I was blind, but now I see. The mystery has been revealed to me!

Outstanding Work!

P

wow, i hope some are ready by hukilau. i'd love to see it in person (buy it).

great job.

S

On 2011-05-13 23:37, pdrake wrote:
wow, i hope some are ready by hukilau. i'd love to see it in person (buy it).

great job.

Kristina hopes to have 5 done by Hukilau. There will be one there for sure.

G

On 2011-05-13 20:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow Swanky! - I'm in LOVE!

Not with you, pal - with that work of art! I was blind, but now I see. The mystery has been revealed to me!

You just like that her boobs are hanging over the bowl. :wink:

Nice work Tim. Hope you figure out a way to get these in some sort of production.

The photo of the bowl on the Whitco has raised some questions about the size.

The Mug is 10" tall and 8" long, here she is posed with an Orchids mug and she makes it look very small. :wink:

Thanks,

Paul

That is so beautiful I want to cry.

I agree. Beautiful piece of work.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies