Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Swanky's Mini Mai-Kai Mystery bowl is in Australia!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

Y

Wow. Amazing work!

S

We have had a lot of great responses on the Mystery Girl bowl.

The plan is to have the new website live on June 2nd. A news message on the site will go out when that happens, so sign up for the news list. That is on a Thursday. On Monday after that, we will open up the waiting list for those wanting one of the Mystery Girl bowls. That time will be announced through the mailing list and on the site on Thursday.

The expected run for these is 20-25, but the mold decides how many are made, not the artist.

We also expect to have the proof on the Mini Mystery Bowl before then and we will take pre-orders for it as well. The site is also to be the home of the "Tiki Collective" where we represent various artist work to try to get more things in one place on the web. There will be a variety of items and artists on the new site.

That is the plan... We'll see how well we can keep to it!

Thanks for watching and making us #1 on Cool and Current!

Fresh out of the kiln are #1 & #2 of the Mai Kai Mystery Girl Series by Kristina Francis!

To be fair to collectors, we've decided to lottery these at Hukilau. Just put your name in the hat and five lucky collectors will be drawn on Saturday. Those five will be able to purchase these very complex mugs and someone WILL go home with #1.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2011 5:42 AM

Plans? What plans? Oh, yeah. Well, I now plan to have the website "live" by Monday as too much other crap keeps taking my time (and sanity!).

A few days to get ready for Hukilau!

Way awesome, love it Swanky!!!!

3,4,5 out of the kiln and on their way to Hukilau!

Paul

BK

:o

S

Website is now live. Much more to add when we get back from Hukilau!

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jun 9, 2011 12:02 AM

On 2011-05-13 23:37, pdrake wrote:
wow, i hope some are ready by hukilau. i'd love to see it in person (buy it).
great job.

Swanky,
how many will be ready by Tiki Oasis Aug 18 - 21?
Bring a bunch of everything you got and they will sell at your symposium!!

S

On 2011-06-09 00:02, Otto wrote:

On 2011-05-13 23:37, pdrake wrote:
wow, i hope some are ready by hukilau. i'd love to see it in person (buy it).
great job.

Swanky,
how many will be ready by Tiki Oasis Aug 18 - 21?
Bring a bunch of everything you got and they will sell at your symposium!!

Only the kiln gods shall know...

A few lucky peopl etook a Mystery Girl bowl home from Hukilau. We will get as many as is practically possible ready for Oasis and hopefully we'll have a giant pile of Mini Mystery Bowls ready at that time. That depends upon the manufacturer and the speed of that ship carrying them!

THanks for all the compliments at Hukilau on the Girl!

S

We have listed the #1 Mystery Girl Bowl on Ebay HERE.

Thanks for looking.

Joanne and Wendy just ordered a total of 5 of the small bowls. We know from the photos and Joanne's description that they are very special. Cheers, Wendy

S

For that Ebay bowl to sell for $510 seems like a super good deal to me. Amazing work!

S

Just a quick note on things.

At Hukilau we were expecting to have the first production run of Mini Mystery Bowls within 60 days. But the manufacturer flaked out an dwe are now starting over and trying to find a new manufacturer.

When we have a proof in hand and place the order, we'll have a date to get them in hand.

Everything takes much longer than you think... Maybe by NEXT Hukilau!

S

It has been a long road... April saw a tree landing on the house and then the manufacturer for the Mini bowl failed us. We have a new start and hope to have good news in a few weeks.

Thanks for continuing to care about this project!

S

The factory sample arrived! Some tweaks to be done, but, it is real and in our hands! The bowls should be here well before Hukilau. If you want to get one of these as soon as they arrive, click the pre-order button, which just sends us an email for now, or sign up on the home page for the news list.

Thanks for looking.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: swanky 2012-03-12 10:00 ]

S

Oops! Just discovered the news sign-up on the site does nothing! While I figure out how to fix it, if you thought you signed up for news, go here and try again to confirm.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Mar 9, 2012 6:46 AM

Production has finally started. They should be here in May if things go smoothly!

Very nice work, Swanky.

T

The new bowl has gone on a diet

I'm so glad we are on the list for one of these. It looks better than the original version. Good job, Wendy

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 3, 2012 6:55 AM

Well, of course things did NOT go smoothly... Not May, but now July and the bowls are here! This 2 year long ordeal is near the finish line.

However, customs has a hold on the bowls pending their approval of markings and they may want to coem inspect them again here. I hope that we will be free to sell them next week.

Wow. Is this really happening? Did it actually get accomplished? I still have trouble believing it.

S

Release the bowls! After 3 weeks, US Customs released the bowls! Now they are available for you to buy!

Mini Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl

2 years in the making! Several hundred gray hairs later! My first Tiki drinking vessel! The first Mai-Kai licensed bowl/mug. Part of the profits from the bowl go to the Mai-Kai. They will be in the Mai-Kai gift shop first weekend in August. They are available in Japan through Mookie Sato. Hope to send some to Australia soon.

I hope this is just the first of the "Mai-Kai Memories Series".

Thank you for all the interest and support!

V

very cool ! Do you know how much would be the shipping to Europe ?

S

On 2012-07-26 07:07, virani wrote:

I will find out soon. I have a request for the UK. I will let you know.

If you know others who might carry them, it is likely nearly the same to send a carton of 12 as to send 1...

great work, swanky - looking forward to my bowl and whatever other mugs and such you may have down the road.

H

I love the look of this bowl, looking forward to getting one.

..and thanks for pricing these realistically..... great value for a well made, nice lookin item... i can't say that for some of the other custom made mugs i have seen here from time to time....sorry, way it is.

S

On 2012-07-27 09:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..and thanks for pricing these realistically..... great value for a well made, nice lookin item... i can't say that for some of the other custom made mugs i have seen here from time to time....sorry, way it is.

Thanks. Appreciate the comment.

If you look at the Mystery Bowl by Tiki Farm, it is bigger, but not a lot more difficult to make than this one. Those are going for $100+ on Ebay and generally $60 anywhere you can find one. I consider this a great price for a 5 piece constructed bowl. There are a lot of just plain, single glaze, 1 piece mugs being sold for the price I am selling this one for.

For every bowl that survived the kiln, 10-15 did not!

I think it is a good value.

what do you think the run number will be on these?

S

On 2012-07-26 07:07, virani wrote:

Virani,

Shipping for one bowl to Europe is $17USD.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: swanky 2012-07-28 12:15 ]

..and nothing against tiki farm- my comment wasn't directed at them. I happen to like many of the mugs that tiki farm makes, especially some of the ones they have been making lately....

S

I only mentioned TIki Farm as a price comparison, not quality.

got mine. today. the box had a crushed corner. I admit I was panicked but inside a second box and Styrofoam was a very safe and intact mug.

Unfortunately, our cat jumped on the table while the family and I were looking at it and my seven year old decided it was the perfect water bowl for "Dolly". oh well, the cat is happy, the kids and wife think it's cute and I can order a new for me... I consider it a win/win.

S

On 2012-07-30 13:36, dartharnie wrote:
got mine. today. the box had a crushed corner. I admit I was panicked but inside a second box and Styrofoam was a very safe and intact mug.

Unfortunately, our cat jumped on the table while the family and I were looking at it and my seven year old decided it was the perfect water bowl for "Dolly". oh well, the cat is happy, the kids and wife think it's cute and I can order a new for me... I consider it a win/win.

I think it is a perfect size for a cat or small dog bowl! Or cereal bowl, or dip bowl, etc. :wink:

got mine today !!

well packaged and well made... i like the fact that it's small and doesn't take up alot of real estate in my display cabinet. Now i can keep my mai kai matchbooks in it as it sits in front of my original mai kai decanter...

thanks swanky, it was worth the wait.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2012 5:55 PM

Announcing a Tiki Central discount deal for European buyers.

Until further notice, the price on the website is good for shipping to Europe as well as the USA.

My mini bowl arrived this week. Awesome work Swanky! I even took a stab at my own ice cone. Can't wait to see what's up next.

kevin

That's a nice bowl!

S

On 2012-08-09 21:25, heylownine wrote:
My mini bowl arrived this week. Awesome work Swanky! I even took a stab at my own ice cone. Can't wait to see what's up next.

kevin

Kevin,

That is fantastic! Is that a Scorpion in there?
Now I gotta get off my butt and make a step-by-step of how I would make the ice volcano. How did you do yours? It looks very much like the real thing!

Thanks! And good eye, that is indeed a scorpion...the Luau version.

I made the mini ice volcano by packing finely chopped ice in a small 4 oz measuring glass I have (which just happened to fit the inside ring of the bowl perfectly) and freezing it for a few hours. I then topped it with a stale piece of bread soaked in lemon extract (for maximum flame) and ignited.

I really dig this bowl!

Kevin

S

My version:

I'll have a step-by-step soon.

Awesome! It's the way the bowl is meant to be used. :)

kevin

S

On 2012-08-13 16:58, heylownine wrote:
Awesome! It's the way the bowl is meant to be used. :)

kevin

I tried to get my wife to serve it to me this way, Mystery Girl style, no go... She was worried about the 151 soaked lemon flying under the couch or something... :wink:

S

I forgot to post it here, but my Step by step for making the ice volcano is here.

Plenty of ways to do this, but I wanted to have something to refer to out there.

Buy the bowl here.

The Mini Mai-Kai Mystery Bowl fits nice and snug into my collection ...

My full report on this essential collectible for Mai-Kai geeks:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/09/06/mini-mai-kai-mystery-bowl-offers-scaled-down-version-of-a-classic/

S

Happy to announce the Mini Mystery Bowls are now available for sale at Oceanic Arts in Whittier!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies