Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

tiki / pirate / indiana jones backyard

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

HI THERE, IM NEW TO THE WHOLE TIKI CENTRAL COMMUNITY. I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE SITE FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW AND I LOVE IT. I JUST STARTED DRESSING MY BACKYARD WITH A NEW LOOK. IT WHAT I WOULD CALL A BLEND OF PIRATES, TIKI, AND INDIANA JONES AND JUNGLE CRUISE ATTRACTIONS(THANKS DISNEYLAND). MOST OF MY SETS ARE ALL HAND MADE BY ME AND THE OTHER PROPS ARE FOUND AT SWAP MEETS CRAIGSLIST EBAY ECT. THE PICTURES DO NOT DO JUSTICE TO THIS LOOK IM CREATING. ALSO NIGHT PICTURES DONT SHOW UP WELL WITH MY CAMERA BUT ARE EXTREMELY DRAMATIC!!! PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE OR ASK QUESTIONS. ID SAY IM ABOUT 40% DONE. I NEED TO FINISH A BAMBOO BAR, FIRE PITS, AND A LARGE CORNER WATERFALL THAT WILL ENTER MY POOL. (NO PROBLEM DUE TO MY WORK BACKGROUND). PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THERE ARE PROPS MIXED IN LIKE A VINTAGE RADIO THAT PLAYS ONLY 30S AND 40S MUSIC WHILE MY BACKYARD SPEAKERS PLAY WHATEVER I WISH (MOSTLY JUNGLE AMBIANCE) .COLOR CHANGING LED POOL LIGHT LOOKS COOL TOO...THE FIRST SET OF PICS ARE A BEFORE OF THE BACKYARD. WANTED TO PUT UP ALL MY PICS BUT IT TAKES A LONG TIME. THERE IS ALOT OF DETAIL IN MY FAUX STORE FRONT. THANKS AGAIN. ENJOY......

Welcome to Tiki Central TLS! Looks like you've got a good start, impressive pile of props you have accumulated!

Enjoy the ride!

L

one word - awesome!

thanks for sharing and i cant wait to see more!

Thanks for the thumbs up guys. I'm gonna put up some detail pictures on how I built slot of it and some more detail. I'm working in the backyard this weekend if it doesn't rain to much. Thanks again

HJ

Ever, ever so hip. You have the flavour and decour perfected.

Man, digging those photos makes one almost forget for a second or two, in metro Chicago it's about as cold as a three day okd polar bear turd.

I thought I saw a swastika - wait, it's the ark of the covenant from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"! :lol:

WOW!!! I love it, great job.

TZ

Holy cow! Incredible use of the props (and an amazing collection)!

Great start!!! I love the attention to detail. More lights, you can never have enough lights for the mood :)

Awesome! Thanks for opening up your backyard paradise for our eyes to see!

On 2010-12-17 14:43, Thruliquidspace wrote:

What can you tell us about this tiki? Real or movie prop, etc.

This 12 ft tall tiki is solid wood. It's 100% real. And very heavy. All I can tell you is that it the guy I got it from told me he was cleaning out a house that belonged to one of the actors in one of the Harold and kuhmar movies. Laying in the basement. It's surprisingly smooth and has 4 human carving on it. Solid wood. It's an awesome find for me but is kinda creepy. I told myself if bad things start happening I'm getting rid of it. Hahaha.

L

Did I miss reading what state you live in? I was curious if bad weather causes any headaches when trying to protect some of your props (if they need any sort of protection) from the elements.

Also do you decorate the interior of your house as well in this sort of style? If so please post those pics too!

TT

nice work.. disney are gonna be pissed when they realise all their shit is missin!

On 2010-12-23 21:29, Tiki Trav wrote:
nice work.. disney are gonna be pissed when they realise all their shit is missin!

lol was thinking the same thing

On 2010-12-23 12:20, leleliz wrote:
Did I miss reading what state you live in? I was curious if bad weather causes any headaches when trying to protect some of your props (if they need any sort of protection) from the elements.

great question! ( as i look at the cold wet mess outside ) would love to do a few things in the same flavor, do you use a weather proofer or clearcote???

Absolutely killer! Let us know if you ever throw a house party. We do something similar each year at Burning Man. Check out facebook.com/shipwrecktikilounge for pix and to fan us. Would love to have somebody with your talents on board. tikitom

All my wood items like the tikis , crates ect... I use wood stain then just a waterproofing like thompsons.
I live in the San Fernando valley so atleast for the last couple years we don't get alot of rain and temp is kinda mild.
My skulls are foam from a michaels arts and craft store.. Halloween time is a perfect time to look for props, skulls , flicker bulbs , ect.. I tried spraying the skulls with a waterproof spray can but due to a chemical reaction with the acrylic paint the foam melts. So what forks perfect by trial and error is liquid resin that is completely clear and does not yellow over time. About 4 coats should do it.. Now the soft foam skull is as Hard as a rock. They have been like this for about a year now and still look good. All my wood props will have to be re waterproof each year. Thanks to my new airless spray gun (homedepot 200$) no time at all.. Does paint, stain, and any liquid you want to my knowledge. You can also make bamboo out of PVC pipe if you don't want to use the real thing. Kinda easy to do and mine always come out cool. Let me know if this helps guys. Thanks again

Wholly Crap; That's an AWESOME transformation! Great Job!

Now if you could just get ahold of a Mermaid, some sunken treasure, and a loooong sea-serpent with spinning eyes and drop 'em into the pool, you'll be all set! :wink:

On 2010-12-21 21:20, Thruliquidspace wrote:
This 12 ft tall tiki is solid wood. It's 100% real. And very heavy. All I can tell you is that it the guy I got it from told me he was cleaning out a house that belonged to one of the actors in one of the Harold and kuhmar movies. Laying in the basement. It's surprisingly smooth and has 4 human carving on it. Solid wood. It's an awesome find for me but is kinda creepy. I told myself if bad things start happening I'm getting rid of it. Hahaha.

That pole is Indonesian... really nice weathering on it!

I SEE YOU ARE ALSO A FAN OF THE CAPSLOCK KEY, WELCOME TO THE FANCLUB. YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY PRINT SCREEN, SCROLL LOCK, AND SYSRQ.

On a more serious note, amazing job. I also plan to go with the Tiki-patio as apposed to the tiki-room. Mostly this is because I know my ladyfriends shared love of tiki would not extend to dedicating a room to it, but being the gardener of the couple the yard is mine.

so here are some updated pics...i always wanted temple ruins in my backyard....this is gonna look sooooo cool when everything grows in around and behind it..i also put a roof on my tiki bar and started dressing up the area around it a bit...hope you like....and i made my very first tiki out of a mexican fan palm....pics soon....LATER YALL...

WOW! Your 'poolscape' is so awesome ! Now I'm inspired to dress up my pool and patio this spring. Great work and thanks for sharing.

Lookin' good, Spring and Summer are just around the corner!

TZ

I love this thread. Thanks for sharing the photos. Keep 'em coming!

Place looks great. Cool collection of stuff in the trading post area. Very very cool. I've always loved that whole 'Lost in the Jungle' kind of feel.

I would love to have you as a neighbor...how fun to have Tikis peeking over the fence. :)

night time uga chaka uga chaka

oh and if anyone wants to know how to make a easy flicker circuit for there exterior lights i have found the way thanks to google hahaha. using a starter from fluorescent light fixtures works perfectly. just splice it into one of the two leads and your golden. don't shock yourself. always use protection!!!! check out this little youtube account i just made.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thruliquidspace?feature=mhum

mahalo.

just working on some signs to brighten up the joint. the pics come out right side up but when i load them they are sideways sorry

Plants are starting to come in and it looks very lush!!! oh ya...some new netting, a new light post staring the lost safari party , and starting to build a ship wreck....hahahahaha or should i say oga chaka oga chaka... only problem is my temple ruins have now been lost in the foliage just like in real life hahaha. and i have to move some tikis closer to the front so they dont get lost in the jungle>>>>>

What a fun backyard. I bet you have inspired a lot of us to take a look at our yards to see the possibilities. Thank you for posting these terrific photos, Wendy

H

I love your pirate ship remains, I think I will try to make something like it for my back yard. Thanks for all the fun photos.

PP

love your yard!! ive used your photos numerous times for my own backyard!! keep up the great work!!!

pele paul

T

SUPER FUN STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks great!! I wish I had a yard to do that kind of stuff!

PP

love your backyard!! I borrowed some of your ideas about 6 months ago when I first saw your photos when I did a google search!!! Ive got the Jungle cruise Crew Mess chalk board, as well as numerous other ideas!!! thanks so much for sharing!!!

I LOVE it! Great job! I'm afraid to show Duke these pictures... I know he will want to redo the yard!

TS

Its like walking through Adventureland ca 1970s, but with modern day Indiana Jones ride installed! Great job man. I'd might even be tempted to throw down artificial turf(longblade type, not astroturf) around the pool walkway area and install thin stepping stone type tiles just to up the ante of the "Jungle" feel. In any case, it looks amazing! thanks for sharing your slice of paradise with us!

I love the "We buy the Rare and Exotic " sign straight out of Adventureland....
I'm a huge Disneyland fan having worked there during college and Raiders is my Favorite movie......So needless to say. Love the backyard

Very cool area. Working from the same influences as you. Between Adventureland and the Polynesian Resort, it has guided me to carve and style my surroundings to a certain flavor.

I dig what you have done with that space and hope to one day equal the awesomeness you got going on.

Kudos on a very original take on tiki yardscaping!

Thanks everybody for the comments. It's not even half way there but I'm glad you all get the picture. There's gonna be some huge changes from some awsome picks I went on and some new builds as well. Keep checking on the progress. Thanks again!!!!!

Still a work in progress...moved some props around so i can actually access my pool equipment. hahaha. Also I acquired a new wood/steel crank. Cant wait how to utilize this. Id love your opinions, ideas, and suggestions please. Plants definitely are comfortable in there Southern california climate!

BIRDS, GINGER, BANANNA, TEE PLANTS

THERES DEXTER THE FRENCH "POLYNESIAN" BULLDOG HAHAHA. HE LOVES HIS DIGS

On 2012-08-20 17:30, Thruliquidspace wrote:
I acquired a new wood/steel crank. Cant wait how to utilize this. Id love your opinions, ideas, and suggestions please.

If I had such an awesome item as that, I'd build either an old school "Ship/Barge Derrick" crane or a "Scotch Derrick" crane.

Lifts, Hoists and Cranes

Derrick cranes made of wooden beams or mast/yard timbers were a common sight on docks in the square rigged sailing ship days, and there are cargo ships that use some form of them even to this day.

I believe that a derrick crane would be right at home within your yard's theme. Were it I, I'd build one and suspend a cargo net filled with casks and crates (and a Tiki) from it.

Just a suggestion. :drink:

Bear

[ Edited by: Brudda Bear 2012-08-20 18:58 ]

Looking GREAT! Keep the pics coming.

I really like your backyard. That's what I'm trying for. Unfortunately I live in an apartment so my jungle creating is limited.
It's fun to look for all of those props in Southern California, isn't it? Kelly Marine in San Pedro is a good place to find cowl vents if you're looking to add one to your awesome backyard. You can also find heavy duty rope and old fish floats. They probably have some good ideas for your new hand crank. kellymarine.com
While in San Pedro be sure to get a burger at Utro's. That place is filled with plenty of vintage nautical decor to borrow ideas from.

I keep going back to your pix for more inspiration!! every once in a while I'll find your photos in a google search. Ive already bought two old timey radios, ammo boxes, trunks and am now on the look out for an od transmitting radio phone and mic!! Love love love your yard my friend and love your little frenchy bull dog too
paul

R
Ripper posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 4:45 PM

Would love to see some new pics ! It's awesome !

Pages: 1 2 54 replies