Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Edible Bumatay New Years Treat!

Pages: 1 14 replies

Well with the help of my cake baking maestro sister, my wife and about seven hours later we have an edible Bumatay!

This is to kick off Phinz bar tonight at his New Years party.

I hope you like him and I may start making custom Tiki Cakes, this was a blast. While my sister and wife bailed on the decoration, they didn't think it looked good. I knew that mixing the Parrot Bay coconut rum and airbrusing the cake would pull it all together.

This is a huge cake and my first. I also want to say that this is all icing, no fondant on this cake!

Let me know your thoughts,

Paul

Credit: Amy Jones, Kristina Francis, Paul Francis

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2010-12-31 08:11 ]

Fabulous. (fix your pix on FOM) You all did a great job...I'll take a corner piece please.

Fom pics are up. :wink: Thanks

freakin sweet! (literally)

$

yummy!

Great looking cake - have a fun party!

That's a terrific likeness. The cake is great, I hope it tastes as good as it looks. Congratulations on a very successful edible piece of art. Wendy

The cake is wonderful! & that it's real icing & not fondant is even better! What flavor is it?
Wish that I could produce cakes like that.
~kele

Here is the building of the cake and yes it's all icing and very hard to deal with. I airbrushed the cake with brown food coloring and Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Cake was a tropical flavor and was a huge success if I do say so myself. Weighed in just over ten pounds.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

[ Edited by: blacklagoon 2011-01-01 09:55 ]

Trader Scott (Phinz) and Chris (Tiki65) approve!

And Swanky wanted some BUM!!!

Scott's new bar is huge and very awesome!

Paul

P
phinz posted on Sat, Jan 1, 2011 3:43 PM

It was pure, sinful awesome. The cake was a huge hit at Trader Scott's last night and was a perfect addition to what turned out to be an incredible Grand Opening.

I'll have "finished" pics soon. I just need to recover from 7 months of work. We still have plenty to do, but it's all details at this time.

Biggest thanks go to Tiki 65 for his incredible vision, knowledge and help in bringing our dream bar to fruition. Here's to years more to come, and Happy New Year to everybody!

L

Awesome stuff!

I hope it tasted as good as it looked!

I would never have guessed how you did it. Terrfic thank you for sharing those step by step photos. My husband is asking me to make one? Nooooo, Wendy

LOL, good luck, my sister says the secret is in the shortening and she uses some skunk class a shortening bought from a local confectioner.

The icing stays firm and where you place it on the cake. The cake itself is smooth and soft, probably the best sheet cake I've ever had.

The real way to finish it is to airbrush the cake, the only way to achieve the wood grain look.

Good luck and thanks for posting!

Paul

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jan 3, 2011 9:24 AM

On 2010-12-31 18:40, danlovestikis wrote:
That's a terrific likeness. The cake is great, I hope it tastes as good as it looks. Congratulations on a very successful edible piece of art. Wendy

Indeed, it did taste as good as it looked!

Pages: 1 14 replies