Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Hula Girls at Forbidden Island 2/19/11!!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

TM

Awesome, a "trading places" quote!

those posters look great man,
I am bummed I'm not gonna be able to make it.

Jeff(btd)

C

"Attaboy, Luther!" (Because this calls for a GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN quote as well)!

Hope you guys have a great show and Bay Area excursion, Spike!

Caltiki Brent

Thanks, guys!

This Saturday! Reminder that we are also playing the Bamboo Hut on Friday night! ...but we'll have our dancing girls and free posters to the first five people in the door on Saturday night at Forbidden Island!

This weekend, The Hula Girls will be debuting two brand new songs in Northern California. Never before performed live! The songs are "Mai Kai Mystery Girl" and "The Suffering Bastard"...

I wanted to share the lyrics of Suffering Bastard with you. I went to college in Stockton, CA, just a couple of hours inland of SF. The song mentions a $1 Trader Vics decanter, thrift store find as well as describing what a vintage tiki bar scene looks like though my eyes. Pretty cool stuff, if I DO say so myself... Hopefully you dig it as much as we do!

The Suffering Bastard
copyright •HulabillyMusic• 2010 Marble

(V1)
There he sits with his hands on his head
All full of rum, from the things he did
Was it zombies, blood and sand, he was fed?
Who can tell where it all began?

(V2)
A table of shriners erupts in a fight
knocks over a volcano bowl that bursts into fire
Glowing halos around netted fish float lights
Each one explodes into an atomic night

(CHORUS)
Suffering bastard for you again
Suffering bastard bleeds truth...
Suffering bastard bleeds truth, my friend

(V3)
The lava rock walls seem to trap him inside
A Predicta TV flickers static in the night
A dried up fountain with tikis that have died
The burlesque girls grab their clothes, run and cry

(CHORUS)

(V4)
The wrecking ball waits in front of a polynesian paradise
One dollar thrift store find on a cloudy Stockton night
Rings of times in the past left behind
One day the scene will replay in my mind

Suffering bastard bleeds truth...
Suffering bastard bleeds truth, my friend

See you Friday night (9:00) at The Bamboo Hut and Saturday night (@ 5:00) at the incomparable Forbidden Island!

LIKE the lyrics.

Looking forward to hearing them both on Friday night at the Bamboo Hut

Doctor Z and I will be at Forbidden Island for the show Saturday night.

Thanks guys, and looking forward to seeing you all up north!

DZ

On 2011-02-17 14:12, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Doctor Z and I will be at Forbidden Island for the show Saturday night.

Unless that 'LapuRocker' guy is going to be there...

He's been threatening it.... We'll see if he makes it out there!

O
Otto posted on Fri, Feb 18, 2011 6:45 PM

I,ll you guys there. I hope you have the D-loveley D-D-Dinah along for the ride!
If so, I,m gonna have to Detox -- she,s intoxicating!

[ Edited by: Otto 2011-02-19 22:44 ]

J

Great show !! I like the new songs and I'm glad that no fights broke out.

Agreed, love "Volcano","The Hidden Village" and "Warm Sands Of Huntington Beach". Good to hang with Bong and meet and talk story with Spike. Always love seein' friends again. F.I. is a lovely buncha coconuts.

MT

Good times last night, hangin' with new(er) peeps, and catching up with old peeps as well. Hula Girls ripped up the place! Spike, Dominic, and the rest of the boys, thanks for coming up, it was a blast! A big congrats to Aquatic Safarinaut for finishing the Kill Devil list, and getting his plaque on the wall! I'm on your heels, buddy! Sobering up at La Penca Azul (formerly La Pinata) was great, too!

Has anyone seen or heard from Dr. Z and Sabu? We kept a watchful eye out for them, but they never arrived. Hope they aren't re-creating the movie "Survive!" on the Grape Vine!

I didn't really take any photos last night, as my camera is on the fritz. But I did manage to use my phone to capture Rugby Matt getting his cherry popped with a Virgin Sacrifice Bowl. Good times last night! Good times...

On 2011-02-20 14:51, Mai Tai wrote:
Has anyone seen or heard from Dr. Z and Sabu? We kept a watchful eye out for them, but they never arrived. Hope they aren't re-creating the movie "Survive!" on the Grape Vine!

Do you mean "Alive"? :lol:

Not that it's all that different. :-?

MT

Nope! :) I meant this one, Survive!, the one that was made in the mid '70's. I forgot about that other version, "Alive", from the early 90's, is it the same plot line?

It doesn't really matter which version but if I see either of those guys with a um... sack of nuts I won't ask where they got em.

DZ

Sorry, merely the possibility that LapuRocker would be there was enough to keep me away...

No, seriously, Sabu had some concerns about the driving conditions, especially on the Grapevine, so we decided we'd be better 'safe than sorry' (insert Donner Party/Chilean soccer team joke here) and make the trip up there another time. We would have posted sooner, but he's been battling a virus on his computer, and I have been without electricity since Friday evening. (Some fun!)

Glad to here the show was great - lookin' forward to the new tunes & hopefully we'll catch up with our NorCal peeps in March...

I heard the show was amazing!!!
I was bummed I could not travel there, my close buddy is now hooked on Tiki
because of this show. He told me he heard people asking for the FilthyMidget!
He didn't catch the gentleman's name. Hello to that person & drop me a PM to say HI!

Sorry we missed the show...heard it was killa!!! Great pic of Matt...he does a fabulous job of representing for Sac. :)

Hope to see more pics of the FI with The Hula Girls in full swing.

Damn, that was a good time! Thanks to Michael and the whole FI crew for making us feel welcome. Cheers!

On 2011-02-21 11:51, FilthyMidget wrote:
I heard the show was amazing!!!
I was bummed I could not travel there, my close buddy is now hooked on Tiki
because of this show. He told me he heard people asking for the FilthyMidget!
He didn't catch the gentleman's name. Hello to that person & drop me a PM to say HI!

Uhhhmmm, that was me, asking about "The Filthy Midget". Yeah I didn't catch his name either. Can I just say Hi here? As for the show, I loved every minute of it. Even did some dancing while sitting. (no not a lap dance) Imagine that.

On 2011-02-21 13:58, Jungle Trader wrote:

Uhhhmmm, that was me, asking about "The Filthy Midget". Yeah I didn't catch his name either. Can I just say Hi here? As for the show, I loved every minute of it. Even did some dancing while sitting. (no not a lap dance) Imagine that.

Filthy Midget Lap Dances.
Now that's a Tiki bar I would go to!

Jungle Trader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!! His name is Ray :)
I have convinced him to join Tiki Central, so his TC name will soon be revealed.

Thanks for asking about me :)
It totally made my morning!

I will hopefully be up North next month.
I will let all know so we can all hold our Mai Tai's high together.

As for FilthyMidget Lap Dances!
I have you know I work for booze & Art :D

Thanks again to Michael at FI for having The Hula Girls up to play his bar. I am still in awe of the place! Amazing drinks, amazing decor, and amazing people there! It was great to finally meet some of the TCers that I've 'known' for the last 9 years, but had not yet met (especially Jungletrader and Unga Bunga, among others).

And now, our photo journal from the road....

While this thread is about Forbidden Island, our journey began at the Bamboo Hut in rainy SF.

The Bamboo Hut happens to be on one of the sluttiest streets in San Francisco. The only reason I remember the name of the street is because we met this old drunk Chinese man who kept calling himself Broadway Joe. He was awesome and kept insisting on knuckle bumping. It's on Broadway, full of strip clubs and adult stores...

The Bamboo Hut from the back booth...

The legendary Coral Sands tiki mask still overlooks the bar...

Our bassist, Christian, in awe of the GIANT pufferfish lamps...

Here's Bonger, tuning up the steel guitar behind cover model and now merch girl, Miss Dinah DeRosa...

Blag Dhalia, singer of the punk rock band, The Dwarves, came to the show, as well as our buddies, Thee Swank Bastards! They happened to be in SF playing for an art show opening. Here's TSB bassist, Shawn, out front of The Bamboo Hut. I wish I would have snapped some pictures of Blag and Szandora and everyone else that we saw (including Broadway Joe).... L to R: Christian Kessler, Dominic Tucci, Miss Judy Luck, Miss Dinah DeRosa, Spike, and Kevin Bullat.

Group photo... There was a pretty good sized group of tiki fans that came to the show! It was nice meeting Brenda of Brenda's Tiki Hut as well as the group of guys that came to see us.

The Bamboo Hut is a pretty odd place. While their staff was amazing to us, the location invites total weirdness to happen. While we were playing, there was a guy in a top hat (think the singer from 4 Non Blondes) who kept dancing to himself in the mirrors. Fully 'on something' for sure. He proceeded to get into a fight with some big Suicidal Tendencies fan and ended up getting chased out of the bar. We also had yuppies, wasted birthday girls, vice cops, and all kinds of other people seeing the show there...

And now back to Alameda...

Here's our road manager, Mike, helping to, once again, load and unload the van. You can tell how excited he is... Mike also happens to be the manager of the legendary punk band, X.

Bassist, Christian, in the back patio of FI...

Mike, in awe of the amazing Forbidden Island! I tell you, the only other bar that I've been to that even compares to FI is Frankie's in Vegas. Seriously, the place is unreal.

Dominic, loading in the tiniest bass drum ever. What it lacks in size, it makes up in sparkles! Yay!

Tiki Bong, settin' it up... Fountain tiki carved by Danny Gallardo.

Curse of the Tiki cover model, Miss Dinah DeRosa, taking her hula-a-go-go place on the raised platform...

Hey, get to the stage!

Yeah, you too...!

The show!

Forbidden Island was packed with the nor Cal ohana... and some So Cal ohana (John-O!)... but not Sabu or Doctor Z.

Aloha...

Another crowd shot from behind the rhythm section...

John, Aquatic Safarinaut, receives his 'I've drank a thousand glasses of rum award' from Michael...

Thanks again to everyone who came out to the show! Our reception there was just amazing. We really had a ball, thanks again!

Also, we have a small amount of event posters left for sale. If you didn't get one, you can get them here: http://thehulagirls.bigcartel.com/product/the-hula-girls-forbidden-island-poster

Looking forward to seeing more pictures from the night! Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2011-02-21 20:02 ]

TM

Awesome Spike, totally AWESOME! The band looks GREAT in those photos!

On 2011-02-21 20:11, lucas vigor wrote:
Awesome Spike, totally AWESOME! The band looks GREAT in those photos!

CHEERS!

Poster ordered...looks like it was an awesome show!!! :wink:

J

We survived the adventure! And it was super fun! Sooo when can we go back to Forbidden Island? lol.

No kidding! That place is amazing!

I heard Bong, and someone had a hug and made up,
True?

Jeff(btd)

Check out these great vids of the band's performance at FI:

Kahuna:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZu_CBFYd6I
Check out drummer Dominic's killer "bass" solo at 1:54

Suffering Bastard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOO_XAk0bY

Mai Kai Mystery Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma7V5PJcQgQ

Mahalo, Hula Girls! Looking forward to having you guys back!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies