Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

its a mod mod mod tiki world

Pages: 1 37 replies

a work in progress- a literal Mod primitive - a Brittiki in swinging lava London .[I've just added the rough sketch]

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/20868/4d3edc1b.jpg[/im

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-04-05 05:57 ]

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-06-15 07:46 ]

G

Nice work. Love the street light.

The juxtapositions between urban and savage make me smile :) The Moai in pinstripes, the bamboo Big Ben, the Gilligan's Island Vespa, the netted float street light, etc. Very entertaining.

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2011-01-25 09:06 ]

sweet painting. What was your inspiration

Thanks Maddog ,Gabbahey and Zephyr for your kind comments.

Zephyr -I dig the modern primitive combo that Tiki seems to embody- so this is a play on that- for those who may not get the reference -there was a youth culture In 1960s Britain called MOD [short for modernist]; basically hip,Sharp suit wearing, Italian scooter riding ,youth dandies, and ironicaly there was a mod revival in the 8os - which i was a part of- which led me and many of my generation on a similar trove through retro culture- tiki included .I guess this combines two 60S revivals. Mod and tiki.

So heres my primitive yet Mod guy in this kind of parallel tiki swinging London .Quadraphenia meets Gilligans island.

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-01-26 03:47 ]

thank you for sharing. I'm not sure if morrisey falls into the "mod" style category but he does kind of look like a moai head shape. Just a random thought

Z

I am extremely impressed with this piece. Mahalos for sharing!

Nice work!

BINGO!
Another great painting for Tikidom!
Beautiful!

LOVE IT!!! Great personality in the whole piece.

Yes G ZEP,THE mozzer would make a great moai- Whilst morrissey wasnt a mod -he was influenced by bands favored by mod revivalists, like madness and the jam-and the British 60s.
I actually spontaneously sprouted a morrissey esque quiff -which was more rocker [the 60s mods arch rivals ]and sported more of a rock-a-billy look.Anyway enough of my tedious ramblings.I suspect many here came out of the same post punk ferment of mid centuary pop culture.

thanks Zerotiki and Zerostreet-needed some cooling zeros here today its a scorching day here-well over a hundred .

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-02-03 18:23 ]

Nice! I really like the float lites and "Bamboo Ben" is awesome!

Thanks LL Tiki ,vampiress and glad you liked the Bamboo Ben ,Beachbumz . it hit me that the painting contains the name sakes of two tiki room posters-a Bamboo[big] Ben-and with its London tiki theme i thought of calling it Brittiki...there is a poster called Brittiki isn't there?

Anyway, nice to have some feed back, down here in the jungle room .

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2011 3:46 AM

Funky, love it

Ta mate-nice to hear from The Hewey.I've enjoyed your posts and work-and am digging your new kustum kulture site .Pity your on the other side of the island!

Good stuff. Thank you for sharing.

'Loved the clock tower!

thanks Haole Jim- wow, ive reached the retinas of someome in chicago...

There still is a very vibrant Mod scene in the UK and Europe, with a couple of small events held in the US as well...

Check out:

http://www.modculture.co.uk

thanks Pikey- i hadn't seen that site before-i shall be perusing it shortly.

yes, Mod seems to keep on keeping on .I know there was a huge scene in California in the 80s-and it connected up with a larger sixties revival-surf culture-psychedelic power pop and ska .I seem to remember an interview Shag had with a mod culture mag.

Nice to hear from someone in Blighty.

Cool Man - I can't wait till you get your first album cover offer!

Even if your just being nice ,its an honor to hear from the godlike genius that is Rob Hammel-Thanks for supplying me with many a screen saver-when i get the nerve I'll post my attempt at velvet painting I've been toying with for a decade.

a typical night in the Jungle Room.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 4:03 AM

Love it! Very swanky

Cool! Nice work!

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 5:45 AM

Ole! You should present an exhibit in the U.S. and A.
You could be famous by now!

Please sir, I want some more!

MORE!..I'll be serving up some more of my artistic gruel real soon

Zeta,Muchas gracias for your encouraging words- good to hear from my favorite Atlantean .

Thanks zerostreet too -diggin' your latest artistic offerings.Real atmosphere.

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-06-16 08:01 ]

Here's my on going velvet battlefield. it started life as one of those nail and string[or wire]hobby art things from the 1970s i found in a thrift store.-You know, string stretched between the nails to make a geometric pattern .In this case it was mounted on a black velvet board .Anyway i decided to pull all the nails out and do some black velvet art.

Didn't have a clue really,on how to use this medium effectively ,so every few years I'd get it out and try and do something with it so it.Its no Hammel but here's my Margret Kean inspired big eyed waif velvet Elvis with tikis.

its just a section of it i directly scanned the painting in small sections-my photos were crap- I'll scan some more if any ones interested...

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-03-16 06:27 ]

more of the picture

Classic sneer on Elvis' lip :lol: Keep up the good work!

Thanks Mad dog- I had to do the sneer-but i also had to make him weep to maximize the kitchy cliche quota - but I wonder if it is possible to cry and sneer at the same time-the boy king is sad but defiant I guess.

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-04-05 05:32 ]

I've posted this in the tiki gallery but i thought i'd post it here too.Frank and Gil-retired horror
actors now creatures of leisure.

So cool! Awesome work!

Oh WOW! I LOVE it! This is sooooooo cool!
Well done! Dig IT BABY!

C
cy posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 1:27 PM

Great work mate!

Thanks for the feedback - and from three great artists -Zerostreet Tikishark and Cy.

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-04-14 04:58 ]

Damn ! Just found out there's going to be a Tiki meets Mod art show UP there in the states - something my first art post on this thread woulda been perfect for...oh well ...I look forward to seeing some TC Artists take on poly pop mod.

Have a riot at Quadratikia!

[ Edited by: art from the Jungle room 2011-06-16 07:46 ]

Thanks for posting! I've truly enjoyed viewing your pieces on this thread!

Thanks Sneakster -likewise I've been digging your prolific and varied output-as a fan of Flora and Miro Your latest offerings are a visual treat.

Pages: 1 37 replies