Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: rum cocktail for Chinese New Year (next week)

Pages: 1 9 replies

based on the Canton cocktail, but with the grenadine upped. some call it a Chinese cocktail, I call it the Red Lantern:

1.5 oz dark rum
half oz grenadine
qtr oz. Luxardo maraschino liqueur
qtr oz. triple sec (or curacao if you prefer)
dash of Angostura bitters

Shake over ice, strain into cocktail glass, garnish w/cherry and orange twist.

nice balance of sweetness, citrus, maraschino funk, and molasses.

Mabuhay!

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2011-01-25 08:14 ]

Sounds good. I have tried this combo with cognac but not rum. Maybe tonight : )
Thanks to a Christmas present of David Wondrich's "Imbide!", I have been mixing up a quite the collection of vintage cocktails. The combo you posted seems to have been popular in the late 1800's. Interesting to see (and drink...hiccup) the roots of our tiki drinks.

I knew it was a classic cocktail, but 1800's? I did not know that :::end Carson voice:::

Esquire's website has a cocktails catalog with Wondrich's commentary on each drink.

Yep. Pretty good. I used homemade grenadine so it was a bit sweet for me. Might try different bitters in it tonight and see what happens. Maybe change up the rums too. I've been pretty bored with the old standby cocktails lately so this has given me something to do.

havent tried out homemade grenadine.

best brand of grenadine i've used is Angostura but i can't find it anymore and everything else i've tried is either too weak or too artificial tasting.

On 2011-01-26 16:17, thePorpoise wrote:

best brand of grenadine i've used is Angostura but i can't find it anymore and everything else i've tried is either too weak or too artificial tasting.

I use 1:1 unsweetened pomegranate juice to sugar. Simmer enough to dissolve the sugar. I bottle it with an oz of vodka to preserve. Keep refrigerated. I use different sugars sometimes. Half white half demerara.

jingleheimer, tried both the cognac, and the dark rum versions of the Red Lantern tonight. Gotta say, i like the rum version way better. i used a vsop cognac, but it still somehow overpowered the other ingredients. the dark rum on the other hand pulled everything together. dunno why. maybe ancient chinese secret?

Gung hay fat choy!

On 2011-01-27 13:16, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:

On 2011-01-26 16:17, thePorpoise wrote:

I use 1:1 unsweetened pomegranate juice to sugar. Simmer enough to dissolve the sugar. I bottle it with an oz of vodka to preserve. Keep refrigerated. I use different sugars sometimes. Half white half demerara.

what total volume are you adding the 1 oz vodka to?

okay, tomorrow is Chinese New Year's Day, and here I am broke and out of maraschino liqueur.

anybody got an idea for a viable substitute?

follow-up for anyone interested in viable substitute for maraschino: i subbed kirschwasser with a little orgeat added in. pretty close!

Pages: 1 9 replies