Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Bob art show at the Tonga Hut March 27 starting at 4pm.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

cool man, can't wait to see the other artworks. Pulled 8 more Zombi Bobs out for the show and Amber's "Baroque Bob", which is modified from Grog's Bob. Here is a pic of one from yesterdays load.
See you soon!

T

On 2011-03-27 09:46, GROG wrote:
...and GROG even hear rumors that someone might be bringing some Kalua pork. That's reason enough alone for GROG to be there.

The rumors are true. Kalua Pork & Hawaiian Rolls are on the way, courtesy of yours truly & Mrs. Yours Truly, Hulihukilau. Grog be sure to bring his hot sauce.

See everyone at The Tonga!

T

Here's the completed piece for the tall Bob mug that I did. It's a display of the front of the Tiki Bob's restaurant. The signs light up, and the mug can be removed for tiki drinking!

And to honor the men who gave us Tiki Bob, here are two ink drawings of Bob Bryant in the style of Alec Yuill Thornton.

The images are based on pix posted here by Sven, so in a way, it's honoring BigBro too, because without all of his efforts, we wouldn't have the understanding of Tiki Bob that we do today!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2011-03-31 18:17 ]

Eric, i shouldnt even bother showing up with my works..those pieces are amazing!!

LT

On 2011-03-27 14:07, tobunga wrote:

Nice!

Eric, that display is genius!

Great job everyone!!!!! Wish I could be there, but gotta get Mojave done in the final stretch, good luck to everyone!

Grog, great job putting this on!

Amy

Great Zombies Cass!

Eric, your creativity is always THE BEST! The sign even lights up! :lol:

Have a great nite tonite everyone!

Just picture Kong Bob sitting next to the Tiki Bob street corner. What a special pair that makes, you two guys both are rock stars! Wendy

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 1:32 PM

GROG -

Do I post my painting here or will there be another thread for the online Tiki Bob artshow? Thanks, G

Ok! I raced home from work, switched on the computer & went right to this thread to see the pics, and......nuthin! You people are slacking! Maybe you are still in your rum & Tiki Bob induced comas? Please post pics. I'll be checking back every 2 1/2 minutes! :D

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 3:04 PM

GROG will start a new thread in Tiki Marketplace (GROG put a link to it here) for the online Tiki Bob art show. TC was down this morning when GROG try to get on, then GROG had to go to Dr. and then run some errands. So, now GROG home and will get started on other thread. Gotta download some pics first. Whatever $$ GROG made last night GROG spent on gas this morning. GROG fill auto up and gas is over $4 a gallon!

It was a good turnout last night at the Tonga Hut, and seemed like all the artists sold well and stuff was priced to move. Thanks Kelly for the special drinks, DJ Audrey for the great music, and Jeremy for the use of the Hut. Thanks for all who came out and thanks to all the artists who participated. And thanks Stephen Sandoval (Tobor64) for the DELICIOUS Kalua pork!!

Thanks to the people who bought GROG' crap that was available. PRIMITIVE BOB and CUTESY BOB will go up on ebay, and GROG will have a link to the ebay auction in the online show. Next time GROG won't sell any pieces before the show, so there will be more original hand-made pieces available at the show.

There are a few of the hanging pieces left at the Tonga Hut if you missed the show and want to swing by the Tonga Hut.

Thanks again everybody. GROG will be vending at the Tiki Magazine release party at the Bahooka Sunday, April 10th, so GROG try and get some more on-ofs done before then.

Here's a link to the on-line show: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39610&forum=12&start=last&1

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-28 17:35 ]

T

I don't know about anyone else but TC was down for me for the better part of this morning, so if anyone else had issues maybe that's why the posts are slow in coming.

Now that I have access again, and in the interests of not disappointing the Big Kahuna, here's my piece from last night's show titled "Future Bob" :

This is my imagining of Tiki Bob's resurrection sometime in the (hopefully) not too distant future & its subsequent centuries of success after that. And the secret of that success? Why, the ever popular "Lingerie Lunch" of course.

The image size is 16" x 22" and is much clearer than is shown. It's printed on high quality heavy paper and is a limited edition of 20. The price is $60.00 per print plus insured shipping so PM me if you're interested.

We didn't take any pictures last night at The Tonga Hut but I'm sure they're on their way. A great night as usual with lots of incredible mugs, music, food & friends. Thanks again to Kelly, Jeremy, DJ Audrey and especially GROG for putting together a great show!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 3:20 PM

You've been working on Futurama too long. All your artwork is either extreme upshots or extreme downshots. :P
( It's Rich Moore's fault.)

I really like that!

Grog, are we to wait until you have the link to Marketplace set up? Wendy

Torbor64 I see who was holding Tiki Bob in her tenticles in this picture. Not at all from the deep blue sea. I like the extreme up-shot view. Good work, Wendy

ps I put you on the list, thank you

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 5:06 PM

Tobor64 - I really dig this latest piece...awesome man!

Wow- EEE!!!
Impossible to even slightly dislike ANY of these pieces. Everyone really threw it down!
Viva los Bobs!

Had a great time at the show! Kalua pork was such a treat. Thanks again Grog for hosting another show, and for folks coming out to visit and support. Kelly was busting ass to keep the wait on cocktails short, much appreciated.
Here is a pic of the Zombi Bobs together, and the Notch-O Bob with dry ice. Thanks to Grog as well for putting together that great mug display, really made the show. Hope someone snapped a picture before the mugs started going home with people.
Have some of the one off Zombi Bob colors still available that I will post in the marketplace section.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 5:33 PM

Online Tiki Bob art show thread here in Tiki Marketplace:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39610&forum=12&start=last&1

Artists---You have until midnight Tuesday March 29th to post pics of your Tiki Bob artwork or to reserve a spot to post pics later.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-28 17:36 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 28, 2011 7:56 PM

If you bought Tiki Bob Salt and Pepper shakers from GROG at the art show, check the bottoms, GROG may have forgotten to put the stoppers in the bottom. PM GROG if you need the stoppers.

Looks like a great show! Hope to have time to contribute if there's another!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2011 11:49 AM

Zerostreet,

It was very successful, GROG very happy. There's the online show in the Tiki Marketplace: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39610&forum=12&start=last&1 If you want to bust something out and post it there, just go to that thread and post "coming soon" or something like that to reserve a space and once you have your piece done post 'er up. After midnight tonight that thread will be open for comments from the general public, so you have until midnight to reserve a space. Other artists (Like Krisdrama, Max, and Jake) post photos of your work there, even if you sold it, so we have it in the gallery.

Tonga Tom should have some photos from the art show he'll be posting. GROG have a friend from high school there that night that GROG was visiting with, so GROG only took a few photos.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-29 11:52 ]

Gee this looked like an awful lot of fun. If I still had my "Tiki Bob Loves You" carving I would have offered it for the show. It's probably just being used as a keg stand over at McEvoy & Rodriguez's studio/vomitorium anyway. Sheesh...

Oh well here's my fabulously overdue virtual submission.

TT

Here's some photos from the Tiki Bob show.
Some of the paintings are still hanging on the wall if you want to stop by and check 'em out.

Cool, the mugs must be over there...

"Happy Birthday Boris!"

Hey look, a coupla film makers

"Have you seen two other people around here wearing leopard print tops?"

"Were you talking about us?" The two on the right, not the guy with his ass hangin' out of his pants.

Who's the cutest couple?

The winners!

PolynesianPop should have coupled up with Sharon instead

"This guy at the corner of the bar keeps staring at me."

Hey ladies!

DROOLING BASTARDS!!!

I think Russ-Tiki and JOHN-O are holding hands behind my head.

BUNNY GROG

"I went to Tonga Hut on my birthday, and all I got was this Tiki Bob shaker."

"Hey Sherri, we found another leopard print top!"

Jeremy: "Hey, 'A frame' is here!"

Mr. Link is amused by the ladies funny faces

The Bearded Bastard is not as easily impressed

Finally, the mugs!

Holy crap! Where'd they go?

Don't be blue Sven

The Unholy Bob; by GROG for JOHN-O (none more metal)

JOHN-O's Bazooka Bob

Krisdrama's Tiki Bob that Kelly bought before she could set it down.

Even though it does not look like it, I was very happy to have snagged the Blue Bob! I have now gathered most of my other Bob's around him:

He will be my "Mood Mug" from now on - whenever I am down, it will hold my cocktail of choice, like perhaps a Suffering Bastard. :)

And congrats to A-Frame, who got the "Tiki Bob pole IN Tiki Bob's entrance" display - way to go! Please Anders post some pics, that thing is so genius!

J

Everyone assumes UNHOLY BOB is just a regular Tiki Bob sculpted upside down. It's much much more than that. If you poor water into the mug, it instantly becomes transformed into Lemon Hart 151. You might ask "Isn't that really a Holy event?" Well GROG had to sell his soul to Satan for that added feature, i.e. UNHOLY Bob.

I thought it was a fair trade. :)

On 2011-03-29 17:21, JOHN-O wrote:
Everyone assumes UNHOLY BOB is just a regular Tiki Bob sculpted upside down. It's much much more than that. If you poor water into the mug, it instantly becomes transformed into Lemon Hart 151. You might ask "Isn't that really a Holy event?" Well GROG had to sell his soul to Satan for that added feature, i.e. UNHOLY Bob.

I thought it was a fair trade. :)

Cavemen have no souls. Satan got screwed. Another win for Grog!

Tonga Tom, thank you big time for all the photos. I wish I could have been there it looks like a really fun night. Maybe Grog will do it again next year. Cheers, Wendy

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 30, 2011 12:02 AM

Here's what the mug display looked like towards the beginning of the night.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-30 00:10 ]

On 2011-03-28 21:44, tobunga wrote:
Bob Bryant drawings. (in the style of Alec Yuill Thornton) SOLD

Each 5x7, ink on paper.

Honoring the men who gave us Tiki Bob: owner Bob Bryant and illustrator Alec Yuill Thornton.
The images are based on pix posted here by Sven, so in a way, it's honoring BigBro too, because without all of his efforts, we wouldn't have the understanding of Tiki Bob that we do today!

Thank you so much for the kudos, Eric! I was so thrilled to see those renderings in your booth, I had to have them:

I just love it when classic Pop culture icons are intelligently picked up and expanded upon! I mean these are the illustrations we always wanted Alec Yuill Thornton to do! :) Here are some more of his Kitchen Kibitzer cartoons:

You really caught the spirit of Alec's style!

So I was inspired to try and dig up more info on him, but there doesn't seem to be much on the interweb, not even a photo of the man. I knew he got the job to illustrate Trader Vic's Kitchen Kibitzer in 1952...

...because he worked for Gardner Dailey's architecture firm...

http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives/profiles/dailey.htm

...who built the San Francisco Trader Vic's:

I remember that in 1994, when-in the course of my BOT research- I got a tour of the already closed San Francisco location, they had the original Kitchen Kibitzer renderings framed up on the wall there, almost all of them - so the Trader must have really liked them!

And then, Yuill-Thornton must have liked Bob Bryant's mixology when Bob bartended at Trader Vic's, and Bob must have liked his cartoons and asked him to design the logo for his new bar.

I found no other illustration credit for him though, and only one other architecture job that credits Yuill-Thornton, at this mansion, owned by the Matson Line family:

http://www.filoli.org/explore-filoli/history/lurline-matson.html

"Pool and Pavilion
Constructed: 1946-1947
Architect: Alec Yuill-Thornton (from Gardner Dailey’s office), Modified in 1957 by Charles Porter and Robert Steinwedell."

It seems that Alec studied "classic" art later in his life, as described in this brief biography:

"Born in Manila, PI on April 29, 1917. About 1933 Alec Yuill-Thornton moved to the San Diego, CA to attend the Army & Navy Academy. He then studied architecture at San Mateo Jr. College and UC Berkeley. Following a few years in Boulder City, NV, he returned to San Francisco and worked as an architect for Gardner Dailey and others. In the 1960s he took up etching, which he studied at the San Francisco Art Institute, as well as metal smithing, calligraphy, and jewelry making. His watercolors include scenes of Yosemite, the Mother Lode country, and San Francisco. He died in San Francisco on Nov. 14, 1986."

Well, I was thrilled to find out that he and I had attended the same art school, even if 20 years apart :) :

(Young Sven, fresh off the boat)

Thanks again for these genius little drawings!

..and one more Alec Yuill-Thornton original:

...yours are spot on, even down to your signature mimicking his "Alec"! :)

I REALLY like the Zombie Bob's by Ocea-Otica,
But I'm trying to figure out the pastel colored ones?
Upper left hand corner,

well its close to Easter,
and Easter is the celebration of one of the most Famous Zombies.
:o

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-03-30 19:54 ]

I forgot: One more (unpublished) rendering by Alec Y.Thornton:

From the BACK of the Tiki Bob menu:

Excellent job Grog.
Looked like a great event.

Long Live The Bobster!

T

On 2011-03-30 19:39, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-03-28 21:44, tobunga wrote:
Bob Bryant drawings. (in the style of Alec Yuill Thornton) SOLD

Each 5x7, ink on paper.

Honoring the men who gave us Tiki Bob: owner Bob Bryant and illustrator Alec Yuill Thornton.

Thank you so much for the kudos, Eric! I was so thrilled to see those renderings in your booth, I had to have them:

I just love it when classic Pop culture icons are intelligently picked up and expanded upon! I mean these are the illustrations we always wanted Alec Yuill Thornton to do! :) Here are some more of his Kitchen Kibitzer cartoons:

You really caught the spirit of Alec's style!

So I was inspired to try and dig up more info on him, but there doesn't seem to be much on the interweb, not even a photo of the man. I knew he got the job to illustrate Trader Vic's Kitchen Kibitzer in 1952...

...because he worked for Gardner Dailey's architecture firm...

http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives/profiles/dailey.htm

...who built the San Francisco Trader Vic's:

I remember that in 1994, when-in the course of my BOT research- I got a tour of the already closed San Francisco location, they had the original Kitchen Kibitzer renderings framed up on the wall there, almost all of them - so the Trader must have really liked them!

And then, Yuill-Thornton must have liked Bob Bryant's mixology when Bob bartended at Trader Vic's, and Bob must have liked his cartoons and asked him to design the logo for his new bar.

I found no other illustration credit for him though, and only one other architecture job that credits Yuill-Thornton, at this mansion, owned by the Matson Line family:

http://www.filoli.org/explore-filoli/history/lurline-matson.html

"Pool and Pavilion
Constructed: 1946-1947
Architect: Alec Yuill-Thornton (from Gardner Dailey’s office), Modified in 1957 by Charles Porter and Robert Steinwedell."

It seems that Alec studied "classic" art later in his life, as described in this brief biography:

"Born in Manila, PI on April 29, 1917. About 1933 Alec Yuill-Thornton moved to the San Diego, CA to attend the Army & Navy Academy. He then studied architecture at San Mateo Jr. College and UC Berkeley. Following a few years in Boulder City, NV, he returned to San Francisco and worked as an architect for Gardner Dailey and others. In the 1960s he took up etching, which he studied at the San Francisco Art Institute, as well as metal smithing, calligraphy, and jewelry making. His watercolors include scenes of Yosemite, the Mother Lode country, and San Francisco. He died in San Francisco on Nov. 14, 1986."

Well, I was thrilled to find out that he and I had attended the same art school, even if 20 years apart :) :

(Young Sven, fresh off the boat)

Thanks again for these genius little drawings!

..and one more Alec Yuill-Thornton original:

...yours are spot on, even down to your signature mimicking his "Alec"! :)

Wow! Mahalo Sven!

Great to see the drawings in their new home, and I'm really glad you like them!

And I'm excited that my work sparked such a spring of information from you... The connections between Vic, Bob and Alec are very interesting... even the Lurline is drawn into the mix. The cross-connections are amazing! (there's even a BigBro connection... cool!)

Your story of touring the closed SF TV and seeing the Yuill-Thornton drawings still on the wall is fascinating! That must have been quite and adventure! If I had been there, I would have tried to sneak away with some of those drawings...
And I've never seen a photo of the exterior of that Vic's, thanks for posting it!

I'm glad you thought I captured the spirit of Yuill-Thornton's style. Those little drawings were not easy to do! His lines are deceptively simple looking, and hard to reproduce.
As I said, the drawings were inspired by the photos of Bob Bryant that you posted earlier. I had seen a few of Yuill-Thornton's drawings, and some of the elements were similar, like the barrel, and the guy mixing up a vat of booze... I would have liked to have worked in one of Thornton's calligraphic wisps of smoke, but the images I drew didn't lend themselves to that.
Oh, it made me smile when you called them intelligent! Hee hee! I do intelligent work!

Thanks again for sharing your vast wealth of tiki-knowledge with us!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2011-03-31 14:49 ]

Here's a pic of Jake's piece. I didn't catch the title of it, though.

C
cdtiki posted on Tue, Apr 5, 2011 3:16 PM

7' redwood Tiki Bob as carved by Vic Phillips of Ceres, CA guarding the pool in backyard.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 5, 2011 5:02 PM

Thanks CD.

Our next art show we have planned for the Tonga Hut will be in early July and is "MOAI MADNESS!", and here's a link to the thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39690&forum=17&5

Open to all artists, and we'll probably do an online art show again so the out-of-town artists can participate, too.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-04-05 17:02 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2011 11:18 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-05-06 01:38 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies