Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Bob art show at the Tonga Hut March 27 starting at 4pm.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

On 2011-03-14 18:33, GROG wrote:
Behold the EVIL that is.........CUTESY BOB!!

Amazing sculpt, Grog! I think to offset the cuteness factor you'd have to add quite a bit of overproof rum to whatever cocktail was in that mug, though. Can't wait to see it glazed!!!

Cutesy Bob really is freakin' cute. Nice job Grog! Guess I gotta get off my stick if I'm going to finish my carving! Tick tock!

J

I want to part of the art show !! I hope it's not too late.
Now I know that Tiki Bob is an iconic Poly-Pop figure who is
loathed as much as he is loved. The argument of whether Tiki Bob
is "good" Tiki or "bad" Tiki is really moot however since he's
such a historic sacred cow.

Here's my idea on how Bob-haters can have their "Bob" and eat it too.

It's based on the same idea as an inverted crucifix. Many religious
blasphemists use this symbol as a way to show their disdain for Christianity.
I just took that same idea and applied it to Tiki Bob. I had it commissioned
with a famous Tiki sculptor.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Unholy Bob"...

See everyone next Sunday !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-15 09:16 ]

Grog, he's got personality. We should all look like we are having that good of a time, you rock, Wendy

T

Welp, it durn near killed me (I had to juggle some freelance work as well) and it kept us from going to the Mayflower Club last Saturday, but my piece is finally finished. Here's the colorized sneak peek. Now it's off to the printer.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the 27th!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 2:39 AM

Oooo! Das very niiiiice, Tobor.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 12:06 PM

More Bob Mugs by GROG:

ROCKY BOB made to look like it carved out of stone.

PRIMITIVE BOB inspired by the the original GROG Moai Mug and made by caveman hands. (It pretty much just self-portrait)

MINIMALIST BOB. Tiki Bob broken down to it's simplest form.

GROG, pardon the pun, but you are on fire with these!

Hi Grog, wow you may have more Bob's than I. I love checking here to see what's come up. The creativity is astounding. Robert how did you come up with an octopus holding Tiki Bob. Now I'm already looking forward to next year and cutting loose.

Grog did you do the stone by pushing the clay against your cave wall? That's my favorite. I hope you will post photos of all the Bob's at the Tonga show too. This is super fun. Wendy

Here's where I am as of today.

I added rickrack to the sombrero and when it was done I coated it with clear glaze.

Worked on Super Carved and South of the Boarder Bob.

Covered them with clear glaze.

Each color is three coats. I've never opened and closed so many jars before.

Shriner Bob, Decanter Bob and Peacenik Bob

The colors will drastically change during the firing process.
Now I'm starting on glazing the Bob bowl.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2011-03-17 11:07 ]

LT

Exciting - can't wait to see how these all look after they've been fired.

Grog - The Minimalist Bob and Primitive Bob are great!

T

On 2011-03-16 15:21, danlovestikis wrote:

...how did you come up with an octopus holding Tiki Bob.

Are you sure that's an octopus holding the TB mug? Hmmmm...? :wink:

Your mugs look stupendous, Wendy! Can't wait to see 'em all fired up. And Grog, that Rocky Bob....well, ROCKS!

[ Edited by: Tobor64 2011-03-16 16:44 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 5:32 PM

Thanks everybody for the compliments and encouragements. The sculpting part is the fun part. GROG not looking forward to the glazing part.

Your stuff is looking awesome, Wendy. Can GROG send GROG' art up to you for glaze? :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 8:51 PM

A couple more BOBs roughed out.

BLUE BOB is sad. He have the blues.

UNHOLY BOB is basically Tiki Bob upside down. For John-O. An idea he had earlier in this thread.

Switching gears tomorrow. Got a glaze firing coming up this weekend, so gotta get some other ceramics glazed for a firing on Sunday.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-16 20:54 ]

Grog, everybody,
all the mugs, and art look amazing.

Sorry for arranging an event on the Same Day,(John O hipped me to that)
I didn't think to even look being that it was a sunday.
I assumed your show was on a Sat.

Good luck with the show,
Cheers.
Jeff(btd)

Love all your work Grog....can't imagine why anyone would think of missing this show to do anything else. What could ever be better than this. Leleliz and I are going to try to get down to see it all first hand.

GROG, you and Wendy are kickin' butt and takin' names! They are all swell! Bob Kong is inching along, maybe a progress pic tomorrow :crossed fingers:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 10:38 PM

It'll be SPECIAL night at the Tonga Hut that night. Besides the Tiki Bob art show, we'll be celebrating** BORA BORIS' BIRTHDAY!** :) :) :) :)

Let the orgy commence!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 16, 2011 10:41 PM

Thanks MadDoggy. GROG just trying to hold GROG' own. Everybody doing such nice artwork. GROG looking forward to seeing Kong finished.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 17, 2011 12:36 AM

Check out this awesome picture Tonga Tom took of Cutesy Bob at the Tonga Hut.

Happy Upcoming birthday to Bora Boris, he's a lucky man to have a Grog portrait.

Thank you Tobor64, LOL Tiki, bigtikidude and MadDogMike. The Bobs are all in the kiln. I get to open it Friday morning. I hope they are ok, I'm still learning what glazes do.

MDM those were the CC under glazes you suggested. I liked the way they didn't smear when the clear glaze was painted over them. (: Wendy

So Grogster, whatcha gonna do in terms of honoring the originators of Bob, graphic artist Alec Yuill Thornton, and name-giver Bob Bryant? After all it is thanks to their collaboration that we can toy around with Tiki Bob today! :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18274&forum=1&vpost=212734
(...since this post, more info has come to light)

On 2011-03-18 17:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
So Grogster, whatcha gonna do in terms of honoring the originators of Bob, graphic artist Alec Yuill Thornton, and name-giver Bob Bryant?

Hmmm, and what might that info be??

DC

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 18, 2011 8:44 PM

Not sure what we can do to honor the artist Alec Yuill Thornton who came up with the Bob design, but we should do a lingerie show concurrent with the art show to honor Bob Bryant and the Tiki Bob's Mainland Rendezvou. :D

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-18 20:54 ]

On 2011-03-18 19:57, Dustycajun wrote:

Hmmm, and what might that info be??
DC

Oh how soon we forget... :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3453&forum=1&vpost=226892

...and this discussion:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18274&forum=1&vpost=213048

On 2011-03-18 20:44, GROG wrote:
Not sure what we can do to honor the artist Alec Yuill Thornton who came up with the Bob design, but we should do a lingerie show concurrent with the art show to honor Bob Bryant and the Tiki Bob's Mainland Rendezvou. :D

:roll: Ah should've known: All you kids are interested in are booze and babes!
Polynesian religion is BASED on ancestor worship, but all YOU wanna do is party. :wink:

You can't have a Bob Kongwithout a sacrificial altar!

I'm just about done, partially because I only did one piece and because Wendy did all the hard work & hooked me up with one of her casts to customize. Thanks Wendy :)

Mike, stop that, I love your teaser, it looks great, Kong will too I know it.
Here's my teaser, he is someone we all know and love! Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2011 10:44 AM

"We all know and love"......hmmm..... is it Santa Claus?

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2011 10:45 AM

Looking good MadDoggers.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2011 2:05 PM

GROG' lineup of Tiki Bobs GROG hope to have ready for the Tonga Hut art show. Cutesy Bob and Primitive Bob will be at the show, but won't be for sale at the show. They're going up on ebay. Anything that doesn't sell at the show will go up for sale on the online art show March 28th here on Tiki Central which will be open for everybody everywhere to post Tiki Bob art they want to show/sale.

Only about a week left to get crap finished!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-19 14:09 ]

I love your line up, so much creativity. Wendy

Great work GROG, you've been busier than a one-legged caveman at a butt kicking party!

Grog do good Tiki Bob.

DC

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2011 3:52 PM

Man I wanted to do minimalist bob! guess I have to come up with an actual idea!

K
kirby posted on Sat, Mar 19, 2011 7:18 PM

Had a few ideas but I dont have much time to do anything extravagant for this show, but Grog make Blank Bob For me so I carved in some skulls and made "Kirby BoB" I might add some more detail If I come up with any more ideas!!

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook

[ Edited by: kirby 2011-03-19 19:18 ]

What's his name Kirby? He's a good one for under glaze, can't wait to see what you do with him.

I just posted my glaze problems with my Bobs on my other crafts page. I can announce that South of the Boarder Bob and Peacenik Bob are both fine.

Have a great Saturday night. Wendy

G
GROG posted on Sun, Mar 20, 2011 12:51 AM

What the ....? Skulls for eyes! GROG thought GROG told you to cut that sh*t out, Kirby!! Well, GROG guess it's all right this time. Just don't put any of those damned bamboo teeth in it.

Hey Kirby, did you notice that your "arch-nemesis" TIKIKIRBY posted a "Tiki Bob, Hollywood" sculpt? It's pretty rad. It's Tiki Bob Hope, and it's done really well. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38871&forum=18&start=45&53

Everybody's doing some real inspired stuff. GROG happy to see artists getting involved and busting out such creative Bob art.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-03-20 05:17 ]

Finished up my "Bob" this weekend!

Looking forward to posting him up for the online show!

Thanks Grog!

Hi Lake Surfer, I think we met at the East Bay crawl. I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

TC'ers here is the next clue, see if you can identify the fellow holding the mugs. The answer is at the end of my photos page one on my Gallery thread. this will be part of my Tiki Bob sale. Wendy

On 2011-03-18 17:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
So Grogster, whatcha gonna do in terms of honoring the originators of Bob, graphic artist Alec Yuill Thornton, and name-giver Bob Bryant? After all it is thanks to their collaboration that we can toy around with Tiki Bob today! :)

Since nobody seems to care enough, maybe I can get some readers interested in a little quiz and stir up their brain cells:

WHAT is the significance of the Tiki Bob Tiki for the evolution of the style? :)

J

On 2011-03-22 00:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
WHAT is the significance of the Tiki Bob Tiki for the evolution of the style? :)

1. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki without any attention paid to Polynesian authenticity.

2. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki-style brand unique enough to be merchandised or franchised.

3. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki to have an Anglo-Saxon name.

4. Tiki Bob was a happy looking Tiki.

5. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki rendered in a bright color.

6. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki with eyeballs.

7. Tiki Bob was "Tiki" in name only.

Here's 4 more...

1. Tiki Bob was the first Poly-Pop icon to have a Modernist (Minimalist?) aesthetic applied to a "primitive" form.

Tiki Bob = Tiki Modern.

1. Tiki Bob was the first Tiki who made a better mug than a free-standing Tiki.

2. Tiki Bob was the first use of the word "Tiki" in a proper name, thus setting the standard for the majority of user IDs on TC.

3. Tiki Bob was actually the point when Tiki began to devolve. (???)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-03-22 07:52 ]

Sven, thank you for asking. John-O I can't wait to hear if those are the right answers for Sven, they sound perfect to me. Wendy

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Mar 22, 2011 1:48 AM

Let's not forget the true originators of the style:
http://www.randafricanart.com/Fang_ngil.html
I might try and get a piece done for the online leg...the clock is ticking. I haven't let my original Bob out of his box for over a year...might be time for a little in-house archaeology?

I'll go with John-O's #8 suggestion...

1. Tiki Bob was the first Poly-Pop icon to have a Modernist (Minimalist?) aesthetic applied to a "primitive" form.

Tiki Bob = Tiki Modern.

T

On 2011-03-22 00:03, bigbrotiki wrote:

OK class, turn to page 47 of your text books, the Book of Tiki:

"...Together, with the signature Tiki of Stephen Crane's Luau, it actually marks the beginning of Tiki Style. For the first time, a Tiki was employed as a logo, serving as an entrance gaurdian, apperaring as an icon on the menu and matchbooks, and assuming the form of mugs and salt and pepper shakers."

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2011-03-22 08:08 ]

J

Remember when your school text books had the answers to chapter quizzes in the back? Rather than try to answer the questions on their own, some kids simply went straight to that section.

Tobunga was one of those kids !! :D

Thank you, kids, good answers! John-O overshot the mark on a couple of his, getting a bit silly, but much of the question is answered.

One thing that I did not see mentioned: Tiki Bob's was the first Polynesian place to use the WORD "Tiki" in its name!

Also, to augment John-O's
"8. Tiki Bob was the first Poly-Pop icon to have a Modernist (Minimalist?) aesthetic applied to a "primitive" form.."

...that, AND Tiki Bob looked like a cartoon, thus embodying the two main style features of American Tiki style: Mid-century modernism and cartoons. YOUR profession, Grog! Tiki Bob always reminded me of George Jetson:

Not literally in a one-to-one comparison, but stylistically. If there would have been a Tiki in a Jetsons episode, this is what it could have looked like.

It might be over-interpreting things, but one could speculate that Bob Bryant chose that free form style Tiki for his logo to separate himself from his Ueber-Father Victor Bergeron, marking the changing of the guard from the old generation of Polynesian pop creators Don and Vic to the generation of modern Tiki stylists.

Or Bob Bryant just knew Alec Yuil Thornton from his Trader Vic job and liked his work. Cause the Trader DID use cartoonists for his menu designs - but that was BEFORE the Tiki period.

Ok, now I feel better about the fact that there will be some folks at the show who actually know what they are looking at. BESIDES the amazing breadth of creative ideas and variations on the concept that will be presented - which indeed ARE a form of ancestor worship put into practice. Looking forward to this show!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-22 10:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Mar 22, 2011 11:19 AM

Hey, GROG was going through receipts getting stuff prepared to take to the tax guy today, so GROG a little late, but GROG was going to bring up the "cartoony" part which still has an influence on today's Tiki artists. Both SHAG and Derek Yaniger's art is heavily influenced by the old stylized cartoons of yesteryear.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies