Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

so what (if any) brands of beer are Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

G
Gavin posted on Tue, Mar 13, 2012 6:10 PM

Another beer that is definitely not...

This label gained some notoriety and as a result of the protests FW changed the name, and label.
"Our goal at Funkwerks is to make good beer for our customers. Our intention was not to disrespect the Maori people or their culture in naming our Maori King beer. Out of respect, we are re-branding this beer.."

Fort Garry Brewing Company Kona Imperial Stout.

Made in Winnipeg. Only available in Manitoba and Alberta, apparently. Haven't tried it yet.

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2012-07-07 23:35 ]

Hey, that's actually a good-looking bottle! As suspected, you can find it at Sherbrooke plus a couple other stores in Edmonton:
http://www.liquorconnect.com/Products/Pages/3210-00750066.aspx
Will try this summer, for sure!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jul 8, 2012 1:52 PM

I dunno, can a stout really be "Tiki". It just seems so wrong. :D

Most tropical or hot weather climates usually have lagers as their standard beer. Think Red Stripe, Primo, or any Mexican beer.

Dont get me wrong. I love a good beer. I like to try beers from around the world. But beer as Tiki? I dont know. Not raining on the parade. Understand this is just a fun thread. But beer is nothing special. I follow the Tiki-Ti modo. You can get beer anywhere. But a true exotic cocktail, Thats a true escape. Makes me think more on the lines of Tiki and exotic places. Just saying. :)

Ditto, forgotten tikiman!

It's definitely not tiki. I've always thought tiki beer was a stretch, and a stout is certainly a far cry from a beer you might imagine quenching your thirst on a tropical isle. The only connection here is the use of Kona coffee. However, I like stout, I like the label design, and I'm going to give it a try. I'm just not going to pretend it's "tiki". Still, if I had stumbled onto this before Sweet Daddy T, I would have posted it, too.

Well, I have always been a big proponent of if yer at a Tiki Event or Bar,
you shouldn't be drinking beer.

But lately because of my weight and blood pressure Booze isn't agreeing with me much,
so I have been opting for 1 beer instead.
Now when it comes to dark or light beers.
I always tend to lean towards the darker richer beers.

Just like when I am having a Tiki/Tropical cocktail.
I wanna have a real drink, not something that you need to put yer pinky out while drinking.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

A

On 2012-07-09 17:06, Brandomoai wrote:
It's definitely not tiki.

Ah, but what is tiki?
CARIBBEAN rum made with AFRICAN sugar cane
SOUTH AMERICAN pineapples
JAPANESE fish floats
CANTONESE food
CALIFORNIA surf music
EGYPTIAN wicker

So why not a little SUMERIAN beer by way of EUROPE?

On 2012-07-10 10:50, arriano wrote:

On 2012-07-09 17:06, Brandomoai wrote:
It's definitely not tiki.

Ah, but what is tiki?
CARIBBEAN rum made with AFRICAN sugar cane
SOUTH AMERICAN pineapples
JAPANESE fish floats
CANTONESE food
CALIFORNIA surf music
EGYPTIAN wicker

So why not a little SUMERIAN beer by way of EUROPE?

Here is my benchmark:

What would you be drinking in a Tiki Bar in 1959
The same rule could be applied to Attire, Decor, Food etc.
And that would be Tiki.

Anything else is just wish fulfillment.

A

On 2012-07-10 12:34, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is my benchmark:

What would you be drinking in a Tiki Bar in 1959
The same rule could be applied to Attire, Decor, Food etc.
And that would be Tiki.

Anything else is just wish fulfillment.

Fair enough. But I think if you skim through the old menus on Arkiva Tropika (http://www.arkivatropika.com) you'll find all sorts of drinks on "tiki" bar menus: beer, wine, standard cocktails (gin rickeys, scotch & sodas, martinis, etc.) along with tropical-style cocktails. You could argue that what made tiki bars different than other bars of the period were the tropical cocktails, but that doesn't change the fact that other alcoholic beverages were available and listed on their menus.

Sure lots of other things were served at a Tiki Bar, Does that make a Coke or Shirley Temple Tiki?
If you take away all the Tropical Cocktails, Do you still have a Tiki Bar?

Then ask what makes a "Tiki Bar" Tiki? and the two things you must have are the "Tropical Drinks" & "Tiki" decor
Everything else just makes it a everyday Bar or Restaurant.

Here Here ATP!! I agree totaly. Its like as if a ordinary bar that serves beer&wine and added bamboo and thatch. Would you classify that as a Tiki bar? No! Its needs the rest as ATP mentioned. TIKIS, and great exotic cocktails. Just as Donn Beach(Don the Beachcombers), Vic Bergeron(Trader Vics), and other mid-century Tiki bars set out to do. Other drinks were just added to be there to satisfy the occasional patron who did not want a tropical cocktail. Not trying to step on toes, but thats just the way I see it.

Its quite a dialogue when you intellectual giants get together.
ALOHA!!!!!!

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-07-10 21:12 ]

[ Edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-07-10 21:14 ]

Other drinks were just added to be there to satisfy the occasional patron who did not want a tropical cocktail.

Reminds me of my coworker that goes to one of the best brew pubs in the nation and gets upset that they don't have Bud Lite. :D

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2012-07-12 07:52 ]

Derailed. Whether historically, as in old ads, or more recently in the form of coconut and Kona porters, there are brands of beer that have tried to associate themselves with tiki culture. It's worth exploring, as long as we keep the discussion relevant. Maybe we could put the debate of whether beer is tiki to bed and get back to the topic at hand? I promise no one is going to start to believe that beer is somehow more "tiki" than cocktails.

M

On 2012-07-08 13:52, JOHN-O wrote:
I dunno, can a stout really be "Tiki". It just seems so wrong. :D

Most tropical or hot weather climates usually have lagers as their standard beer. Think Red Stripe, Primo, or any Mexican beer.

That may be true today, but was not always true. "Foreign Extra Stout" also known as "Tropical Stout" was a mainstay of thirsty ex-pats in tropical climes. Originally it was exported from the UK at a hefty proof to survive the journey, but it was eventually made in the home countries themselves.

A few examples:

Dragon Stout from Jamaica
Strong Back Stout from the Bahamas
Stallion Stout from Barbados
Royal Extra Stout from Trinidad

Also Guiness Foreign Extra, which is brewed in multiple places in the Carribean.

Not sure if it's tiki, but it's definitely part of the larger tropical drink culture.

[ Edited by: mbanu 2012-07-31 23:38 ]

G
Gavin posted on Sat, Sep 8, 2012 9:33 AM

Still, No Beer is, but I saw this and will share.
Today is Sour Beer Day (Sept.8th) SourBeerDay.com
I do not know these people who posted this, somebody on TC prob'ly does

Love the Otiose!

K

We had this and the Mana Wheat at the last Tx tiki party and they both got lots of positive comments.

Ohana Brewing Company is a new brewer in Los Angeles. The guy that owns it is only 24.

http://www.ohanabrew.com

Somebody should offer their graphic design skills to design a new logo, for a fee, of course.

My thoughts:

1. Having a tiki cocktail in my (non tiki) living room... Tiki, Im enjoying a tiki drink.

2. Having a beer in my living room... Not tiki.

3. Having a bottle of beer with a wahine / etc on it (or from a 'tiki' location) in my lounge... Not tiki but cause for comment, Id like to try one :)

4. Having a sipping rum in my living room... Im enjoying / appreciating the rum & rum = tiki... but that's a bit of a stretch. Not tiki.

However:

1. Having a tiki drink in a tiki environment... The most tiki (!), Im enjoying a tiki drink in a tiki environment.

2. Having a beer / sipping rum in a tiki environment... Tiki, Im enjoying the environment.

3. Having a bottle of beer with a wahine / etc on it (or from a 'tiki' location) in a tiki environment... As tiki as thought no 6 + 1! I still want to try one! :)

For your consideration: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46298&forum=1&112

This beer looks like it is trying to be tiki. I didn't try it though, rather have a Navy Grog :wink:

A

Tried some of this in Lola Los (chain of 7/8 tiki bars in the UK):

Not a regular beer, kind of like coconut fruity shandy - worth trying & would be easy to drink on a hot day

On 2014-02-06 22:37, lunavideogames wrote:
This beer looks like it is trying to be tiki. I didn't try it though, rather have a Navy Grog :wink:

Probably a good decision there, Luna. Some things are all show and no "go."

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seems like the most recent beer thread.

In case anyone else has been searching for this year's batch of Kona Koko Brown, you can stop wasting your time.

It'll no longer be available on the mainland at all. It's now only available on tap in the state of Hawaii. It's not being bottled or canned, and they apparently don't even have it consistently in their own restaurants. Same with the Pipeline Porter (Wailua Wheat is also now Hawaii-only, but I certainly won't miss that.)
http://konabrewingco.com/about/contact-us/

I'm gonna have take all the money we would've spent on Koko Brown, book a trip, and spend it at Kauai Beer Co. instead.

Side note: I actually like the non-Imperial version of Knee Deep Tanilla.

dang, i liked the Wailua Wheat, a nice seasonal beer; altho i only saw it here in the summer of 2013...

K

On 2015-03-22 18:44, thePorpoise wrote:
dang, i liked the Wailua Wheat, a nice seasonal beer; altho i only saw it here in the summer of 2013...

OMG, this. I check CONSTANTLY to see if variety packs carry it and am constantly disappointed. IPA can suck it. It makes sense that you haven't seen it since summer of 2013 because that's when I first and last had it as well, for my tiki-themed baby shower. Seriously bummed about it and can't quite figure out Kona's explanation,

"As a result, Wailua Wheat won’t be hitting the mainland this year but it will be available year round in package and on draft in Hawaii. We aren’t legally set up to ship Wailua outside Hawaii this year so the only place to get it is on the islands. Sounds like the perfect excuse for a trip, right?"

Not legally set up? How can one be legally set up to ship other varieties of beer but not one in particular?

T

I've been told that all Kona's brews on the mainland are brewed under license at Widmer Brothers Brewery in Portland. Last summer I was told the Koko Brown would no longer be made on the mainland, disappointing because it sold well on draft, the Pipeline Porter did alright also. If you can ever find their Lavaman Red in Hawaii try it, it's very tasty, hoppy and better than the IPA, that's one they should make on the mainland.

p.s. both Koko Brown & Pipeline Porter were sold as seasonal's on the mainland.

aloha

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2015-03-22 20:49 ]

Good news! I don't see anything official on their website yet, but I just got an email response from Kona Brewing - I had submitted a message through their site months ago when I first found out they pulled the seasonals from the mainland.

They're bringing them back! They say the first seasonal will be the Koko Brown, supposed to be available in January 2016, with the rest to follow. So they'll still only be seasonal, but at least they'll be back.

We just got back from a trip to Kauai and it was disappointing that we only found one place that had the Koko Brown. Particularly silly when Lost Coast's Downtown Brown was everywhere. Hopefully Kona's going to get it together now.

The Tiki on the label of this can of Liliko'i Kepolo caught my eye while browsing at a local liquor store, and I couldn't resist picking up a six-pack to share with my cow-orkers at our weekly "Beer-thirty" Friday get-together. It's a "Belgian-style white ale with spices and passionfruit added." Surprisingly good, with exotic, well-balanced flavors. The passionfruit adds a little sweetness without being too cloying, and it really complements the hoppy, wheaty flavor of the ale. There's a touch of coriander as well, along with some other spices I couldn't identify. It was like a tropical cocktail in a can!

Sounds yummy...if only...I don't wanna be negative, but why-oh-why can designers not go any further than the first google page under "Tiki", and have to replicate and proliferate the awful "Part City" Tiki design in its infinite variations !!?

However I don't recommend it...

On 2016-11-20 07:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sounds yummy...if only...I don't wanna be negative, but why-oh-why can designers not go any further than the first google page under "Tiki", and have to replicate and proliferate the awful "Part City" Tiki design in its infinite variations !!?

I thought the quality of the label left something to be desired as well, bigbro, but the quality of the product inside the can won me over.

U

Primo beer with King Kamehameha on the label?

The Kona beers are fun to have around the tiki bar, but I personally don't like most of them due to whatever hops they use (Simcoe or Chinook) - the Piney flavor doesn't belong in beer; tastes like you poured a capful if Pine Sol into your mug.

One of my current favorites is River Town (Cincinnati) Hala Kahiki. Like a Pineapple shandy - very thirst-quenching.

This is the most tiki beer that will ever be! Modern Times & False Idol collab. Very hard to find, nearly impossible to get for your home. Hang10tiki is lucky though, this 4 pack is for him :)

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2017-06-18 12:57 ]

While this might not be super relevant I feel it's definitely a mark for beer can be tiki. What about taking beer and making it into a tiki drink, for example Toby Maloney's Tribute to Mermaids, it's little more than a fancy boilermaker but the ingredients could be found in most tiki pantries. Or Jane Danger's Dressed Can which is a cider (fruit beer) but it looks like a tiki drink from the rim up (image below) and uses traditional tiki flavors.

Good thread and contributions! Since so much of what we do is not really "authentic Polynesian," tiki beers and tiki beer cocktails seem to fit right in when they contain traditional tiki elements. I've never seen or heard of pineapple beer. Cool!

i havent been able to log in here in ages, thanks for the beer reviews everyone! its great to see this thread still getting some discussion--

i didnt like the only pineapple beer ive ever had before(which i think was a ballast point pineapple ipa, was too sour)

but imma definitely gonna have to try that Avery beer posted by MrBaliHai, i think ive seen it around!

P - I was not a fan of the Avery. Too sweet and it was not very balanced.

A few of my “tiki” beer glasses and a cool beer koozie I got from Lanai, HI.

The South Pacific Export Lager says “The Beer of Paradise” in fine print... that must be the one true tiki beer?

And I just discovered this in a 1956 (9th printing) Hawaiian cookbook...

T

Ok not really tiki.

New tiki is at times cartoony, does that count?

This one at Costco looks like they're trying real hard to be tiki. Nice graphics.

F

Just found this at my local supermarket. Kona brewing co. Big Wave, Golden Ale. Made in Hawaii. Even the glass bottle has embossed "liquid Aloha".

Pages: 1 2 94 replies