Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Chef Shangri la Mai Tai

Pages: 1 4 replies

Aloha, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the chef-shangri-la Mai tai recipie. It's one mystery that I just can't seem to break. It seems that they almost make a " Dons mix" or "Tonga mix" which they bottle themselves to make the mixing of the Mai tai easier/faster which atually does make it fast. First off it has to contain over proofed white rum like Wrey and Nephew. You can definitely tastet the rocket fuel characteristics of ssomething very strong. In watching then mix this, if memory serves me right they use this mix and add maybe white rum....could be wrong. Any comments would be great!

Chef Shangri La in the Chicago area? Their Mai Tais are nice, but I doubt they do anything too "exotic" with them. Also liked the Dr. Funk last time I was there, though I didn't detect any Pernod, pastis, etc

Yes, the Shangri la in Chicago. Sorry I didnt specify. I love thier Mai Tai alot and would like to replicate one that's close. To me it's a bit like Vic's but a lot more boozy. I would think that their mix has to have the basics of a Mai tai but wonder if thier mix has the syrups (orgeat) already mixed in too?

Bump....,

So nobody knows this recipie. It's more complicated than I think folks anticipate. I think that they use Jero brand limosa as the sour and maybe mix orgeat or almond syrup into the lime...but then they use this rum mix that had to be a mixture of more then just rum bacause when the bartender went to get a new bottle of rum I listened to see if they had to break the new seal and no, meaning that its a bottle of something that was previously factory sealed and now they just use the bottle. Any help would be appriciated!!!

Hi Everyone,

So with the changes that occurred with management last year, i feel its even more important to try and decipher this recipe while we can, in case this place does close its doors.

I have literally tried everything, but cannot pin point the one ingredient that sets this recipe apart from the trader Vics classic. I feel that the one ingredient in question is what gives this Mai Tai its uniqueness.

I spoke with Betty years ago, and all that she would say is that it is basically the Trader Vic version, but with one other ingredient. She also said that her dad Paul Fong, (the creator of this Mia Tai) added this to mask the drinks strength.

Not sure if she was trying to lead me down the wrong path :), but whatever it is, it does make the drink smoother and hides the high alcohol-ness of the drink.

I have been literally messing around with this for at least three years, and have mixed the craziest things to try and get close....and have not been successful.

If anyone has any thoughts, clues, suggestions, they would be very much appreciated and worth a try.

Or....if anyone has knowledge of other MAI TAI recipes from other Chinese restaurants that have a weird or strange ingredient that you know of and can share that would be great too.

Whatever it is, i would think that someone else besides the Chef may be utilizing.

Aloha!

Pages: 1 4 replies