Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Don the Beachcomber opening in Hawaii? Photos

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

Sorry if this has been talked about, but this is new to me. The thread on Kaanapali in Beyond Tiki made me remember this:

I was in Maui earlier this year and discovered a building with "DON THE BEACHCOMBER" on it. The building was closed. I asked around and found out that the place is supposed to open soon. I tried looking in the windows but I could not see anything :(

I had seen the same building a year earlier and I took some photos. I took at look at the old photos and sure enough there was no sign on it in 2002. So the sign is new.

The building is on the grounds of the Royal Lahaina hotel (in Kaanapali, not in Lahaina) in Maui, and the hotel is somewhat old-school-Hawaiian in design. More Polynesian in feel than most of the hotels in the area.

Has anyone heard of this? Has it been discussed here before?

~Hanford

For reference, here's the pic I took of it (notice it has no sign) in 2002.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-23 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-23 17:14 ]

G
GECKO posted on Fri, May 23, 2003 5:18 PM

I neva herd of this, but would like to learn more if anyone else has any more info. DAM I gotta get my website up!! with all these new establishments opening. I gotta geta hold of these peepz if it's still in da decorating stage.

H

The Royal Lahaina website only says this:

Don The Beachcombers Restaurant offers a wide variety of Pacific Rim favorites, including Hawaiian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese and American specialites, complete with cocktail bar and lounge area.
(Opening Soon)

http://www.hawaiianhotels.com/Web/Main/Rlr/RLR_Dining.cfm?Orig=RLR

M

I don't make it to Kaanapali often, but I'll keep my ears open for the grand opening. I'll give it a try and give you all the full report.

I know ecactly where it is, but don't recall it ever being open.

Do you mean you want information on this particular Don the Beachcomber or on this chain?

Don the Beachcomber is like the real granddaddy of American-Tiki. To my knowledge most of these restruants were closed except one in Disneyland. If you go on ebay you can find all sorts of Don the Beachcomber trinkets. It would be sweet if this restruant chain were to make a comeback.

On 2003-05-24 13:56, Tiki Baron wrote:
Do you mean you want information on this particular Don the Beachcomber or on this chain?

Yeah, let me clarify. I'm interested in this particular one becuase, as far as I know, there are no more open Don the Beachcombers anymore. JT (author of Tiki Road Trip) were talking a few weeks back about how Don the Beachcombers have all been long gone, but that someone must own the rights to the name. I think it's amazing to see a new one opening up again. This seems like a big deal.

The one in Disneyland (actually in Disney's California Adventure) doesn't quite count, since they actually don't serve drinks there. It's just the decor designed to match the old feel of the place. It's part of an indoor food court called Hollywood & Dine).

So that's why I ask. If this is really the rebirth of a new Don The Beachcomber's, then this "tiki resurgence" we've been hearing about for a while is bigger than I thought.

~Hanford

I heard Taco Bell, inc. bought the name Don the Beachcomber. I just did a bar for them. Maybe it'll be a fancy taco hut? But, the bar went to their Irvine headquarters. Hmmmm.

Tiki Baron, the Don the Beachcomber in Disneyland is not really a Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It's actually more of a tribute to the original restaurant chain (it even says that in the menu). The Original Don the Beachcomber's Restaurant Chain has long since gone out of business. The info Hanford is looking for is related to the somewhat appearance of a new Don the Beachcomber opening in Hawaii (as pictured above). This is a VERY EXCITING proposition since there hasn't been a Don the Beachcomber restaurant open in years.

DZ

Alas, the Don the Beachcomber at Disney's California Adventure is gone too... Hanford's right: it wasn't even an actual restaurant - it was part of a food court inside this big corrugated tin warehouse in the Hollywood Backlot section, along with (if I remember correctly) a pizza place, a 50's hamburger style place and something else. The DtB simply shared a part of the warehouse with these other 'restaurants', but it still had plenty of good decor. They've closed the whole warehouse and put big security tape roadblocks up in front of it. Any time I've tried to get close (i.e. go under the tape), a cast member has come out of nowhere to turn me away. And (of course) they can tell me nothing about why it is closed or if it will re-open.

My guess is Hollywood and Dine will open again once Tower of Terror is completed and open at California Adventure.

Apparently they had way too many resturants to support the low attendance, and Hollywood and Dine is tucked away in an area of the park that gets no visitors. However, Tower Of Terror is being built there, and it's going to be a magnet for basically anyone that visits the park. So my guess is they'll reopen it then.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:29 ]

On 2003-05-23 17:10, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Sorry if this has been talked about, but this is new to me. The thread on Kaanapali in Beyond Tiki made me remember this.

Well,
Freaken don't let it happen again NEWBIE!!

yah and how about this hanford guy's broken links on those pictures... sheeesh...

On 2004-11-30 22:13, filslash wrote:
And the news is VERY good. Don The Beachcombers is supposed to be re-opening in about two weeks. It is the original building, and looks like it will be very nice...

Great news!
I urge anyone with the slightest interest in Don the Beachcomber to get hold of 'Hawai'i - Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine' which tells the whole story, is littered with Tiki throughout, and contains some damn fine recipes too. Definitely one of the top 5 Tiki books out there.

http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bcb/474914.html

Trader Woody

On 2004-12-01 09:59, Trader Woody wrote:

Great news!
I urge anyone with the slightest interest in Don the Beachcomber to get hold of 'Hawai'i - Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine' which tells the whole story, is littered with Tiki throughout, and contains some damn fine recipes too. Definitely one of the top 5 Tiki books out there.

http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bcb/474914.html

Trader Woody

I second that! I picked through this book last time I was in Hawaii, and it has GREAT stories of movie stars (the one about Clark Gable's "wedding tree" killed me; as did the one about naked Marlene Dietrich) and other fun stories (drunk mynah birds saying "gimme a beer, stupid!"). I felt a little dirty reading it though, because it appears as though TC alliance sides more with rival Vic Bergeron (who also claims to have invented the Mai Tai!)

I felt a little dirty reading it though, because it appears as though TC alliance sides more with rival Vic Bergeron (who also claims to have invented the Mai Tai!)

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:30 ]

...and they are planning to open another one at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona. They do have my book.

Tiki agents are on the ball who were important contributors to the BOT. We all are hoping that this classic name brand will be resurrected with the authenticity it deserves:

Any corporation today knows the value of "branding". Established brand names are traded for top dollar, because many attempts at introducing new brands fail to catch on. To have a logo like the classic driftwood ensignia of Don The Beachcomber that has been lodged into the psyche of several generations is an invaluable bonus for the restaurant.

The decor will hopefully be provided by people that are in-the-know about Tiki style, like Oceanic Arts, who outfitted the original Beachcombers. To bring in outsiders who might have seen the Book of Tiki but have no experience with the style is a lucky number game. I often am surprised that DESPITE my book being such a clear esthetic guide and people professing their love for it, the results of their interpretation leave much to be desired.

It is weird, people acknowledge the return of the Tiki trend, and that my book blew it wide open, but then they say "Yeah, but we do it in a NEW, IMPROVED way. Why!? People love the Book of Tiki BECAUSE of the "old" style it shows on every page, THAT is what they are looking for again, very simple, not some updated version.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-01 22:43 ]

K

On 2004-12-01 09:59, Trader Woody wrote:

I urge anyone with the slightest interest in Don the Beachcomber to get hold of 'Hawai'i - Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine'...

Now if only it weren't riddled with editing errors and missing information.

There are "recipes" that list ingredients but then offer no directions. There are drinks with inaccurate and/or doubled ingredient lists. There are rum substitutions that frankly aren't even close. Etc.

I've had that book for awhile now and find new problems with the editing every time I read it. Shame really. Such a nice book otherwise.

Ahu

Last time I was in Maui earlier this year I was told by the employees at the Royal Lahaina that the Don the Beachcombers will probably never open. I was told the people opening it realized how hard it is keep people on the resort for dinner, etc.

I took a peek inside and it was even close to being finished. It was being used as a storage room.

RB

The book is great...especially love the history and vintage pictures. I agree with Ku Ku Ahu, though, some of the recipes are confusing.

And moving to another island, the International Marketplace at Waikiki is being torn down, and will supposedly be rebuilt closer to what Donn originally built. I haven't been to Honolulu in years; I've just been following the story in "Hawaii" magazine.

Any one been to Waikiki recently, and can update us?
:drink:

K

You know, it occurs to me that we all need to just pack our bags and collectively move to Hawaii as a huge group.

Buy a nice chunk of land and start a tiki commune. Can you imagine the mug collection alone?

Damn.

Ku Ku

On 2004-12-01 16:00, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:
Buy a nice chunk of land and start a tiki commune. Can you imagine the mug collection alone?

This has been discussed already in a previous thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12094&forum=3

M

The drink recipes in that book are seriously fucked. How many can you count that say "shake at medium speed"? I didn't know my arm had speeds.

But it does have great stories and pictures. Ask Dan Coscina about Don sometime if you happen to talk to him. He's got good story.

PS: Vic invented the Mai Tai.

K

On 2004-12-01 16:54, martiki wrote:
The drink recipes in that book are seriously fucked. How many can you count that say "shake at medium speed"? I didn't know my arm had speeds.

Yep, that and the drinks calling for "Foam" as an ingredient. Foam? Wha?

Werd.

Ahu

N

Werd, no a dirty rotten stinker.

Hi Hanford - I am returning to Maui in December - I will check this out in Lahaina Town and report back upon my return which will be mid-January. Maybe by then it will be open.

Mele Kalikimaka

Mauitiki - where do you live in Maui?

I thought the Mai Tai was invented at the Pink Palace, the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki?

T

On 2004-12-01 16:28, hanford_lemoore wrote:

On 2004-12-01 16:00, Ku Ku Ahu wrote:

This has been discussed already in a previous thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=12094&forum=3

Hanford is a card, and he must be dealt with....

hanford_lemoore
Grand Member (1101)

Posted: 2004-12-01 16:27

Just kidding. It hasn't been talked about.

ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

OL

Here's the e-mail scoop from Otto:

the Royal Kona Resort has bought the rights to the Don the Beachcomber name and are seeking artifacts to decorate their 2
upcoming DtB restaurants

anyone out there who is serious about selling any Don stuff they have please contact me

++++++++++++++

Otto von Stroheim
Tiki News
2215-R Market Street #177
San Francisco, CA 94114
http://www.tikinews.com

edited by me

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-02-23 10:26 ]

O
Otto posted on Sun, Dec 5, 2004 10:00 PM

I agree wholeheartedly
If they try to radically update the logo it will be cheesey and fail. All true Tiki fans will laugh at it.

Look at Rock-a-tiki in Chicago. they tried an updated Tiki concept and it did not go over well and they were out of business a couple years later!

yet newly opened, traditional looking places (too many to name here) have been very successful

On 2004-12-01 13:57, bigbrotiki wrote:

Tiki agents are on the ball who were important contributors to the BOT. We all are hoping that this classic name brand will be resurrected with the authenticity it deserves:

To have a logo like the classic driftwood ensignia of Don The Beachcomber that has been lodged into the psyche of several generations is an invaluable bonus for the restaurant.

It is weird, people acknowledge the return of the Tiki trend, and that my book blew it wide open, but then they say "Yeah, but we do it in a NEW, IMPROVED way. Why!? People love the Book of Tiki BECAUSE of the "old" style it shows on every page, THAT is what they are looking for again, very simple, not some updated version.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-12-01 22:43 ]

O
Otto posted on Mon, Dec 6, 2004 12:43 PM

hanford

how come we can't see your pix?

Royal Kona Resort's size and location alone should give it a huge head start on success. Royal Kona Resort has 452 rooms and is located in Kailua-Kona with it's many restaurants, shops, etc.

Hopefully, this will be successful like the contemporary Tiki's in Waikiki, as opposed to Rock a Tiki in Chicago or Tahiti in LA.

Then there will be both classics, Trader Vics and Don the Beachcomber, to visit on the Big Island.

The result will be to end the lack of tiki bars in Hawaii, as eloquently described by Tikibars.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-12-06 19:25 ]

V

Does anyone have an Email adress or something where I can ask a license to make a Don the Beachcomber in Paris ?
Seriously ?
Why not ?

I just got back from MAUI last weekend and stayed at the Royal La Haina in Kaanapoli Beach. Here is a link of pic's from our Honeymoon in these pic's you will find a couple of shots of the"Don The Beachcomber" at that hotel.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EeFt2jlq3dW&open=1&x=1&sm=1&sl=0

I went inside of the building and all I found in there was alot of mattresses being stored in there. I did see some cool hanging lamps, but it didn't look like they were opening up anytime soon.
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2004-12-12 11:22 ]

On 2004-12-12 11:21, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I just got back from MAUI last weekend and stayed at the Royal La Haina in Kaanapoli Beach. Here is a link of pic's from our Honeymoon . . .

Congratulations.

Even Don is guilty of this when it eventually replaced it's suave beachcomber logo with a cartoonish shadow of its former self

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-12-13 22:42 ]

Yes it's true, we will be opening TWO Don the Beachcombers in Hawaii. The first is in Kaanapoli, Maui, at the Royal Lahaina Resort. It opened on Wednesday the 15th of December. The one in Kailua-Kona, on the Big Island will open in the Royal Kona Resort sometime the first part of 2005. We are very excited and will except any and all pictures or artifuacts of the original Don the Beachcomber. I am Chef Mikel Lamb, the instigator for all of this fun. Please feel free to contact me with any support. Mahalo Chef Mike

B

[ Edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 22:01 ]

That's cool...it'd be nice if Don's came back and is a success. That book is pretty good although if'n anyone wants the complete list of recipes, both drinks and food from Don's, I can go through my Grandpa's papers...he was the Exec. Chef for the whole chain..

B

Hiyas Chef Mikel,

I'll check out my Grandfather's stuff for you...I'm sure you may have heard of him...Chin Kai Fee, used to have your job, he was based out of Palm Springs. I was just there a few months ago going through his belongings...put a whole s***load of Don the Beachcomber stuff away, recipe books, floor plans, pictures that span the years, etc. I'm up here in S.F. and it'll be a few months till I get back down to Palm Springs to see my Grandma. Till then...good luck.

Thanks for the notes, BornTiki I'd love to see anything you have for Don the Beachcomber. We are willing to purchase some artifacts or you are welcome to display them on loan and we will put a plack with your name and Grandfathers name on them. As Far as the Culinary Student goes, I am always looking for eager talent in the kitchen. I am currently looking for a cook 2 position with at least 5 years expeience in fine dining Line cooking. If anyone out there wants to move to Hawaii. Mahalo Chef Mike

P
P

AND I'd love a plack.

It should read:

This is placed in honor of the man who knew a real drink when he drank one. There is no such thing as "too sour."
Hanford Lemoore

psst - don't hire the Smokin' Menehunes because they won't work for drink only.
I hear there's a band in Florida that will.

B

Aloha all,
Geez...I don't know about selling any of the items from Don the Beachcomber or Tiki Bob's, it's been in my family for a long time, be kinda disrespectful...although I still have some extraTiki Bob mugs, still in the box that I'll ponder getting rid of. As for the Don stuff when I get back to Palm Springs I'll go through everything and whatever Grandma says can go, I'll be happy to loan it to the Don the Beachcomber
restaurants...no plaque necessary, but Grandpa loved working there, so maybe a mention would be cool.

images fixed back on Page one.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-01-05 20:06 ]

Pages: 1 2 66 replies