Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Matt Tanner's (Anvil Bar & Refuge) Mustard & Rum Cocktail

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

Matt Tanner, bartender from Anvil Bar & Refuge in Houston and self-professed mustard freak, posted this interesting recipe on the bar's cocktail blog:

Cassis de Dijon

1 oz. Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
¾ oz. Crème de Cassis
½ oz. Lemon Juice
1 Barspoon of Turbinado-Based Simple Syrup
½ Barspoon Dijon Mustard

Shake and strain into a highball glass with crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon wedge and blackberry.

More mustard-inspired cocktail recipes on Anvil's Drink Dogma blog:

http://drinkdogma.com/mustard-cocktails/

[ Edited by: MauiRose 2011-02-23 18:13 ]

Mustard? Really? :lol:

Sounds weird, but intriguing - I DO like spicy mustard. I need to retrieve my Cruzan Black Strap and Creme de Cassis from the houseboat bar and try the Cassis de Dijon, this weekend. Preferably, when I have plenty of time to be sick - just in case.

Yes! Let me know how it is. I'm very curious...

A

I made this drink last night. It was strange, yet somehow satisfying.

I'm confused if I like it or not myself...

I made one, last night, too. It is confusing, isn't it? At first, I thought it was pretty good, and so did my wife. But, sip by sip, it became too... rich? I'm not sure if it's the mustard or the sweetness of the blackstrap, but I finally gave up trying to finish it.

It's sort of like when you're eating something really salty, and you think, wow, this is great! But as you keep eating, you start to feel queasy, and you realize that if you eat very much more, you're gonna heave.

If I try it again, I'll cut the blackstrap, 50/50, with some other gold rum, and see if that helps.

Pages: 1 5 replies