Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NIxxon Addicted...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

N

I must say...I truly am addicted.

This is my latest...a few progress pics and then a few of the final product...this particular log had a couple of bad spots in it i think from nails or something, but its all good...I managed to work around them as best I could...im gona really start looking from some good sources of quality FRESH wood...any ideas?

...and from here on out I wont start any new threads ill just post anything new in here...so come back and check it out!! :wink:

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-09 08:48 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-13 14:20 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-14 14:06 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-19 06:39 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-23 10:36 ]

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-04-07 06:39 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-04-07 12:15 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-04-13 10:45 ]

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-04-15 09:41 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-04-27 14:21 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-05-02 09:35 ]

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-05-13 14:07 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-05-18 18:48 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-06-13 19:25 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-06-29 13:10 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-07-01 13:27 ]

N

cooool nixxon!!!!. like your clean lines and design. welcome to the addicts club.

N

thank you CC :)

B

Nice lines, Smooth surfaces,Excellent detail. You're on the right track so lets see Some More!

Good job! Where do you live, and how long have you been carving?

N

Thank you Benz and 4WD! More to come for sure :)

I live in Orlando Florida...I started in September last year...but had to take three months off because of shoulder surgery :( But now Im all healed up and ready to carve away!!

If you're in FL, then that's probably palm? If so, those 'nail holes' you mention in the first post are most likely scars from tree climber's spikes. We get that in our palm out here in CA.

Keep the great work flowing, and mahalos for sharing!

I'm afraid there's no cure other than to keep carving! If you are looking for wood - expand from Palm - in the Orlando area you have: Live Oak, Pecan, Camphor as well as Cedar. Lots of options. Keep the tikis comin!

Yeah Man! That came out CLEAN!
What's next????

Congratulations on some nice work. That tiki looks so smooth. You really have some great looking pieces

N

Thank you all for the kind words!! Def inspiring and keeps me wanting to carve more...and that I will do :)

Not sure whats next...but I do know it will be soon!

A
amate posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2011 1:00 PM

Very nicely done! Looks like you've been at it for years. I see you prefer to spell your name with dos equis. :D

N

aaahhh yes sir...dos equis :) I am def one to appreciate a good brew...thank you for the kind words.

N

Well I finally got around to putting some stain on this little guy...I saw a two toned stain tiki head which I thought looked great so I kinda stole the idea :wink: thanks Amate!!! Anyway...here she is...not too sure what to think about it yet, it seems like some parts of the wood didn't take too well to the stain..oh well, maybe it will grow on me...lol

N

and here's one I got started on today...its a really small little log...so I gotta give him a BIG attitude :) let me know what ya think! and as always thanks for looking!!

Carve Deeper!!!

NICE!

N
NIxxon posted on Tue, Mar 1, 2011 2:02 PM

I am def going a bit deeper before its finished...just a rough out design for now :)

Thanks HB!

P

Nice work man, and yeah, it's an addicting thing. Sometimes, even when I have really fun stuff to do, like going surfing or fishing or whatever, I find myself getting kinda pissed if I don't have a couple of hours to work on the tikis every weekend.

Just a suggestion, but at this point in your "tiki evolution" it might just be time for you to go to Lowes & buy a cheap torch, and start expirmenting with a little charr in recessed areas for a little contrast. I just burn in the recesses & and then sand off the excess. It's quick & easy and (to me anyway) makes it a bit more "multi-dimensional".

But either way your stuff is looking good.

I swear, the Florida contingent is growing stronger by the day!

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 6:34 AM

I very much appreciate the kind words Pic!

I would def like to try some torch stuff...seems to add some great character and more depth like you said...maybe next time i get paid lol :)

where in FL are you?

P

Tampa!

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 9:13 AM

right on brutha! Im over in O-town...just a stones throw away :)

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 3:28 PM

Couple of progress pics from today...its my first attempt at a body so I'm not going for any real detail...just happy to get the basic shapes cut out...def a bit harder than expected!

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Mar 2, 2011 3:31 PM

and one more with his brother :)

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Mar 9, 2011 8:46 AM

finally got around to standing this BIG BOY up and putting some stain on it. I only have the one pic from my phone right now...but will be taking a few more soon...let me know what ya think !!

N

Look what I found hanging out in a fed-ex box on my front porch :)

HOLY MOLY these things are SHARRRRRP!!!!

P

Ohhh man....

it's ON now!!!

N

lol...yes sir it is :)

they even came with a small band-aid holder with the flex cut logo on it

L

On 2011-03-10 12:09, NIxxon wrote:

they even came with a small band-aid holder with the flex cut logo on it

That is a strange sense of joke...

Good job on the big boy!

J.

N

LOL...it sure is...but pretty amusing

Thanks for looking :)

N

Couple pics from today...did a lil experimenting with the new flex cuts...man those things are GREAT!!!!

Let me know what ya think...and thanx for looking :)

good stuff man.
I've been wanting to try chisels like that. Lemme know if u figure out how to sharpen them things when the time comes.

N

Here it is! Finally finished...

I took your advice pjc and got a torch...its great...just burn what ya like and sand the rest.

Let me know what ya think! thanks for looking :)

C

Looking good, nice clean lines.

P

very nice bro!

N

Finished my first full body TIKI! Tried adding a little detail with the new flex-cuts too.

Let me know what ya think!! Thanks for looking :)

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-03-19 06:40 ]

Looks great! What type of torch did you use?

P

dude, that is looking killer!

Very nice man. The fire & flexys have officially taken your game to the next level!

N

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen...they are always very much appreciated and totally motivating.

And yes...the new tools are fantastic!!

TGG...This is the torch I used. I bought it at lowes for $25. It burns great, fast, and the tank is still half full after doing quite a bit of work with it. It has a knob to adjust the size of the flame and a trigger for ignition.

I burned all the areas I wanted then went back and sanded all the lines to make it nice and clean. Such a great tool to add TONS of character and style to the tiki. Thanks again pjc!

Cool,thanks!

N

You're welcome.

If there was one thing I could get picky about its the fact that the burn area can be a little TOO big sometimes, making it difficult to get into the tight small spaces...but they do make smaller torches with a much tighter flame so I guess ill just have to get one of those too! :)

N

finished another today...i really liked the way the last one turned out so i tried to make a similar one.

Now I have a pair of brothers, both from the same tree so they have to look alike right?

Thanks for looking!!

Sweet, nice work!

M

Very nice cuts!

Very clean designs too.

Break out some Moko!

Mahalo

McTiki

P

Diggin' the progress!

If you want to take things another step further, don't be afraid to bust out the chainsaw & cut the mouth deep instead of just burning it for effect. Gives it a depth that I really like. I just rough chainsaw it, and then use a gouge to remove the excess & give it a nice "scalloped" look.

Just a friendly suggestion.

But once again, your progress is great!

N

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback and suggestions...I am enjoying carving more and more each day and TC has a lot to do with keeping me motivated.

PJC, I def wana make the mouths deeper...sounds like a great idea...i will give that a try!

Thanks again for looking :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies