Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NIxxon Addicted...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, Apr 6, 2011 2:37 PM

Finally got around to putting a coat of poly on this beast, the poly darkened it all just a bit which I think gave it a pretty cool look...

and a friend decided to add a little jewelry while i was away...its a string of rib bones...lol...

W

Wow! Love your carves.

Chris
WestADad

Great stuff!Cheers Watango

N

Thanks for looking..and thanks for the kind words...always appreciated!

N

The latest...trying another full body...its about 4 feet

And damn is it HOT out!!!

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 2:24 PM

heres a couple more progress pics from today...had to call it a day before I had a heat stroke!!

Let me know what ya think...thanks for looking :)

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2011 2:27 PM

and one more with him back inside enjoying the shade :)

your carves have such a nice smooth look

P

Yeah, smooth would definitely be the operative term.

Very nice. Good job knockin' the mouth out. I dig it.

N

Thank you both!

And yea I wanted to go deeper with the mouth but started on the back this time and didnt leave enough room...

N

A little more carving, burned and sanded. I will probably stain it this friday after a final fine sanding...trying to decide on a color...Im thinking something on the lighter side...anyway...let me know what ya think!

Thanks for looking!

B

Love the clean lines and the details with the new chisels.

Digging this last guy the most but these are all awesome ! Very nice work !

Rob

oooooooooooo. very nice nixxon.........

giddy up!!!!!

N

Thank you very much guys...your words are much appreciated and very motivating!

Im def diggin the news chisels...im gona throw some stain on it today so hopefully ill have some pics up later.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!!!

N

Here it is...all finished. I used a lighter color stain but it came out quite a bit darker than I expected.

Next time I may just go for the "natural" color stain and see what happens.

Let me know what ya think!!

N

knocked out this little fella today...the log had kind of a weird shape so I tried to work with it as best i could...just gota put some poly and he'll be all finished!!

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 9:34 AM

my latest project...

P

Nice start on that lono.

I'm finishing one up as we speak!

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, May 2, 2011 1:16 PM

Thanks Brother. Ive been wanting to do one for a while and then I saw yours and got motivated.

Im gona try and finish it up tomorrow...so stay tuned :)

Thanks for looking!!!

P

dude, that one has a great start. I wouldn't be in a huge hurry to finish it up too fast.

JJ

Wow you been busy, they look awesome man

N
NIxxon posted on Wed, May 4, 2011 7:47 AM

Thx PJC...def not gona rush it...i want to try and sell this one.

And yea ive been VERY busy...carving as much as I can...thx for comps

S

Ohoo ya he is looking GREAT!!

N

Thank you for the compliment and thanks for looking :)

M

Next you are going to say that you got rained out so there will be no progress pics of this beaut...(It was raining in Orlando when I left at noon today lol)

Keep on cutting Nix

Mahalo

McTiki

N
NIxxon posted on Fri, May 6, 2011 1:01 PM

LOL...I wish i was home today to enjoy the much needed rain

ill be in brevard til sunday morning so the carving must wait :(

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, May 9, 2011 3:12 PM

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-10-03 13:50 ]

N

Well here it is all finished...used some paint pens to put the logos on the bottom and then a coat of poly over that...Let me know what ya think!!

Thanks for looking!!

N

I seem to have gotten just a little carried away with this one. I think it looks cool as hell though. I need to get some better pics but here it is for now. Let me know what ya think!

N

It has since received 2 coats of poly so its quite shiny! I couldn't really decide what to carve out of all the open area so I decided to leave it be for now...I may try and do some painting on it...

C

Beautiful work man, I actually really like the UCF one, and I personally have less than no interest in college sports. (or most sports that don't involve angry french Canadians and Russians beating the tar outta each other.)

N

LOL...Yea not a sports fan either...but money talks :)

Thanks for looking!!

They looking great!

P

what color stain is that?

N

Its actually all burnt! Thats what I meant when I said I got a little carried away...lol.

There is some dark cherry stain on it that you can see in some of the small unburned areas like in between the teeth that make it look really neat...

but for the most part its all charred up :)

N

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-10-03 13:51 ]

T

Diggin the dark stain.

N

So here is the Hammock project all finished. The other tiki you see was done by my brother about 5 years ago with a small electric chain saw and a bottle of rum. Its his first and only carve :)

My friend and I shared the work in sanding and refinishing it so it would last a little longer. We had to take off the cool vines that were growing on the top but its all good...they will grow back. I included a pic of how it looked before we made the changes...Let me know what ya think!!

TR

On 2011-05-18 18:47, NIxxon wrote:
I seem to have gotten just a little carried away with this one. I think it looks cool as hell though. I need to get some better pics but here it is for now. Let me know what ya think!

I'd like my Tiki well done please. Very nice!

N

LOL! it certainly is well done :) thanks for looking!!

N

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2016-07-06 13:39 ]

N

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2016-07-06 13:40 ]

N
NIxxon posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 1:25 PM

OK. So I'm feelin pretty good about my progress today. I feel like I hit a wall for a short spell with all of my tiki's looking the same, not really getting the concept of depth, and just generally not really progressing much but after today i feel better about taking the next step into higher quality carves. I spent a considerable amount of time today creating this body. Its still not what I'm after but a big improvement from my previous attempts at a body. Most importantly I learned a great deal about my tools and different ways to use them. Thank you everybody at TC for providing AMAZING work to draw inspiration from and as always thanks for looking!!

I HIT A WALL ,IT WAS CALLED DIVORCE!!!!!!!
BUT YOUR CARV'NS ARE LOOK'N GREAT,CHEERS WATANGO

N
NIxxon posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2011 1:58 PM

LOL!!!!!

Thank you :)

WC

One small step for Tiki.
One huge step for Nixxon.
carve on.

A
amate posted on Sat, Jul 2, 2011 6:27 AM

This one is definately showing more dimension. Keep it up!

TR

Very nice start, can't wait to see where this one goes! Deep cuts make a huge difference.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies