Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NIxxon Addicted...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

N

Lol yea I don't do it out of sheer laziness, I need to find an efficient and clean way of doing it then they would all have hollow mouths :) I thought about using a boring drill bit but can only find them so big and its nowhere near the size of some of the mouths...any ideas?

Thx PJC. Yea I wanted to try something new and I thought it turned out pretty cool...I feel like my forward progression has halted just a bit as far as new and creative ideas but I think I just need to do more planning for each piece and really think about what I'm gona carve before hand...anyway, Thanks for looking, the comps and thanks for the friendly advice!

Happy Carving!

P

I'll get over there fairly soon and we'll go have a surf with Andy and maybe do a little hammering after...

Kool stuff!Dig the effect with the bark,I've got a big peice of fan palm
which has a great texture to it that I was going to work into the design also.
Keep em com'n!Cheers Watango

N

That sounds great Jeff, the swell from ophelia is kickin today and tomorrow, 3-4 ft @12 sec. Im headin out early 2mrw am. Looks like we may get a few more storms out of the season so hopefully we continue with the swells :)

Thanks wantango, Yea i really like the look with some of the natural bark on it...probably gona do some more like that.

Thanks for looking!

N

This was at one time a full bodied TIKI. Unfortunately I cut a little too thin around the legs and it broke in half :( So I ended up turning it into this...

P

I've learned that one the hard way as well!

Yup,
the down side of carving too deep.

When I suggest "carving deeper" perhaps I wasn't as specific as I should have been. This is intended as constructive criticism - I hope you take it that way.

When most people start carving tikis, they scripe lines into a log that convey the image of a goofy smiling face (FL carvers especially - since thats the image we see most in touristy spots). Its quick and easy for people that are just getting into carving (you're past that point). I am just as guilty as anyone of embracing the "the big goofy smile", however there are other styles and representations of tikis beyond the basic. Many of them can not be created with chainsaws and angle grinders. The shape of the log should not dictate the shape of what you are carving. Conveying the shape and posture of a human(ish) body takes some thought (not just the body but the face) and practice. Look at anyone's profile it is not round and cylindical. Eyes are set in, noses stick out, mouths can dictate expression, the chest can dictate body posture, and position of the legs are the base. My suggestion to "carve deeper" was meant to get you to explore the shapes and relationships of a more "realistic" figure. Also, do a search for authentic oceanic figures and idols. Try emulating some of the more simple figures, like a Tangaroa, a Moai, or even a Marquesan. They may have simple designs, but their relationships to proportion and symmetry can be a challenge. Take your time! Put down the chainsaw and pick up some chisels - accidents happen to fast when you use a chainsaw. Practice digging all the way through a log with the chisels - wood goes all the way through to the other side, but is softer on the inside than the outside. Palm is strong and can take a lot of stress - the only way to find out how much is to test it. I have several pieces laying around that I did experiments on. Mistakes are essential to the the learning process.

Good luck - keep carving deeper!

N

I definitely take it as constructive criticism. I have learned so much from all of you guys here in the short time I have been carving. I absolutely would not be anywhere near the level I am right now if it weren't for this site and the incredibly knowledgeable and helpful members that provide all the helpful hints and motivational comments. Having said that, I definitely want to try my hand at some of the classic designs that you have mentioned. I just want to be able to do a good job when I am ready for those pieces :)

Thanks again EVERYBODY for the ongoing support and motivation to continue this wonderful art form!

P

Hey man, sorry I didn't get over there & hang out this last swell. Just blew most of my cash going bakc and forth to Anna Maria Island & needed to lay low. And my new truck is one thirsty bitch! Yikes!

Anyway, I'll get over there soon and we'll surf a morning sesh and jam some stuff out in your back yard all afternoon & have a few cold ones.

N

No worries brother...sounds good. Just hit me up whenever. I'm sure we'll get a few more swells out of the season...

P

no tiki pic posted in over a month?

get yer head back in the game kid!

N

LOL I know it! Ive been slacking big time...I plan on doing some carving over the next two days so Ill have some pics up soon :)

N
NIxxon posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2011 7:30 AM

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-11-03 11:54 ]

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Nov 3, 2011 9:27 AM

Weak.........................Sauce!

I had a colonoscopy today and I'm back here .....carving.

I'm well rested too!

I'll truly Post pics up later. On a dif thread!

Mahalo!

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, Nov 5, 2011 3:39 PM

^^^ lol at the colonoscopy! hope they were gentle with ya :wink:

I figured it was time to post some pics...I wanted to wait until I was finished with this one to post pics but I'm bored and I'm pretty excited about how its turning out. I took your advice Aloha Station. I put down the power tools, picked up the chisels and carved deeper...

Let me know what ya think!

Thanks for looking!

P

yeah man....you're on.

Yeah man - thats a great start. Further suggestions include: Cutting through the mouth, make the waist thinner, and spread the knees. Keep us updated.

N

Well I did some more work on this guy today. Getting the legs to look the way I want is proving extremely difficult, but I'm optimistic. I also want to knock the entire mouth out but unsure if the little wood that would be left is going to support it...

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-11-14 14:04 ]

[ Edited by: nixxon 2011-11-14 15:05 ]

N

and a shot in the early evening sun...

A
amate posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2011 8:37 AM

You've got a lot of mallet strokes invested in that. It shows so keep it up.

When you carve through the mouth bring the back of the throat out to a point. That will assist in giving the jaw some strength and can easily be disguised when you finish.

N

Thank you for the tip! Unfortunately I started carving before checkin this today so I went ahead and just knocked out the whole thing but I will give that a try on the next one. I did a bit more carving, some sanding and then stained it. Pretty happy with the way this one turned out. I think I shoulda spent more time on the sanding and finishing but I was just too excited to get some color on this guy and see what he looked like all finished...so here it is. Let me know what ya think!

T

Yeah, nice, very nice! I like the contrasting colors around the mouth. Great job.

N

Thanks BigT. I do appreciate it. Im not a big fan of big white teeth but as I was staining this one the contrast just seemed right...I put a coat of "natural" stain on the teeth to darken it up just a bit and it came out like this. I like it also. Thanks for the comps and thanks for looking!

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2011 8:10 PM

I like the way you cut the end of the eyes parallel to the nose cut
giving the eyes a squared off look. Good job!

M

Awesome carve Nix! Keep em coming!

Mahalo

McTiki

Ya,
Split those legs & didn't feel a thing.
Good job.

groovy design nixxon.....like the nose and eyes too

P

that's lookin' good Nixxy.

Some real progress on that one bro...

N

thanks all for the words of encouragement. i'm really excited to get back out and start on another!

S

Back at ya man, nice looking carve. Looks like I need to try working on something larger for my next one.

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2011 8:47 PM

Your thread is showing great improvement NIxxon. Really like the light colored teeth to highlight that area.

N

Seagoat - Yea man the bigger stuff seems to offer alot more room for error :)

cy- Thx man I really appreciate it...i really like all of your work...very original stuff you got goin on

Nice work on the last peice Nix.

N

Thanks Wantango, I do appreciate it! I got to carving on this long thin piece and thought what better to do than a tall hollow head-dress:) Carving all the way through the log certainly isn't as easy as it sounds!

Ya sure made it look EZ.

A
amate posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 2:21 PM

You are cranking! The last two are very impressive.

P

nice bro.

you stepped away from your normal deal and went out on a limb...

I dig it.

N

Thanks Will...it def wasn't :)
Amate - Thanks for the compliments. Ive actually been taking quite a liking to your Ku's and trying to get some ideas for making my bodies more life like the way you do.
Jeff - Yea I've really been thinking about "carving deeper", adding more depth and life to each piece. It takes much more work but the results I believe are well worth it

Hope to have some updated pics by the end of the day...Thanks again for looking!

P

I'm glad you stepped out of the box my friend. I've been feeling "stale" lately & needed a little creative inspiration...

M

I want to see a Tangaroa next!

Awesome head dress on that log!

Wood type?

Mahalo

McTiki

N

well I'm certainly glad I could provide it for ya Jeff, Cant wait to see what ya come up with!

Alright McTiki, Next carve is a Tangaroa :) and that is palm...not sure exactly what kind though...I always have trouble distinguishing between the types since there are so darn many of them!

Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2011-11-30 14:32 ]

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2012 2:36 PM

Well McTiki its not a tangaroa but I already had this one started so I wanted to do some more work on it before starting a new one.

The next NEW tiki though will def be a tangaroa :)

keep up the good work

T

Nice. gonna be a good one. What happened to the lono? Any progress on him?

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2012 4:11 PM

Nixx! Happy New year good man.

This shape is cool. I like the layers!

Mahalo

McTiki

Will wait for Tang!

N
NIxxon posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2012 4:52 PM

I will try Mr Thorn...thx for looking!!

BigT - The lono is still leaning against the wall in my garage, still looks the same. Kinda hit a wall with it but will be back on it as soon as I see what I want to do with him.

McTiki - Happy New Year to you too! Thx for the comps...shouldn't have to wait too long for the tang...I think I caught the new year inspiration bug too :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies