Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

NIxxon Addicted...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies

Lookin good!!

N
NIxxon posted on Tue, Jan 3, 2012 5:49 AM

Thanks Captain!

N

got a little cuttin done today...had to scale back the jaw a little bit which wasn't my original intention but oh well....here is today's progress.

Thanks for looking!

N

Finished carving and threw on some stain.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2012 3:30 PM

On 2012-01-10 14:32, NIxxon wrote:

I like the way you scalloped the teeth with the chisel. cool idea!

WOW!! That looks great! Is that a bit of torch work in the mouth? And are the teeth stained a natural stain or is that just the color of the wood? ... Very nice work!

Yeah, way cool! Innovative touches on the feet too!

N

Thanks Capt, and yes you are correct. The mouth is torched and then stained, I really like the way it comes out with that combination. The teeth are just the color of the wood in this picture but I did put a coat of natural stain on it that darkens it up just the slightest bit, I like the contrast. Thanks again for the kind words.

Thanks surfintiki! Much appreciated.

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2012-01-18 14:55 ]

Cool! Looks Great! Another question ..... is that dark stain the dark mahogany from Minwax? How many coats?

I like the finish as well. The urethane gives him a nice shine

N

Got some more carvin time in today...the proportions are extremely skewed but I feel like I learned quite a bit so far with this carving. let me know what ya think, Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2012-01-25 15:05 ]

Primo!! You've graduated! Now you have to produce and share photos full time now!!
That's a classic piece, the gods will be pleased.

N

Thanks surfintiki, I am far from graduation but I do appreciate the compliment.

I hear much insight on carving "deeper" and that is exactly what I am trying to do. I understand the concept but the challenge appears when the chisels are in hand.

I have no doubt that I will eventually figure it out but until then this is what I have to offer :)

Again thanks for the comps and thanks for looking!!

Very impressive!! And hopefully very sturdy at the waist. Keep up the good work!

N

Thanks Capt. The waist is suuuper thin...makes me a bit nervous actually.

Only time will tell :)

P

yeah Nixxy....looks awesome!

I've been thinking about starting my own Benz/Will style lono myself!!!

Strong work bro...

A
amate posted on Thu, Jan 26, 2012 3:10 PM

You've just reached a new level. IMO your best effort yet. I believe we are all waiting to see you finish this one.

M

Nicely done brother.

Still looking for a Marq or a Tang....sigh

Mahalo

McTiki

N

Thanks amate. It should be finished up soon.

Mctiki - this was another I had already started so the next new one will be by your request :) Thanks for the compliments.

A
amate posted on Sat, Mar 17, 2012 9:03 AM

Waiting on an update...I hope you didn't break him in half!!!:)

N

LOL...no he didnt break...but he does have a different color on him. I stained it twice...wasnt 100% happy with the first color so I went back over it with something a bit darker. I stare at it alot trying to figure out what else to do to it because it just doesnt seem "finished" to me yet. I got some new carving knives so I may try to spice up the headdress a bit...still unsure. Only time will tell. Thx for stopping by!!

P

Nice work!

Yeah, I'm still figuring the whole stain thing out myself. I'm finding myself mixing them more to get the color "just right"....

Looks nice! I'm in that same boat .... start light and see what works .... once it's black, you can't go back!

M

Cough cough..paua inlays...cough.

Looks killer as is bro.

Where is that Marquesan you're working on?

: )

Mahalo

McTiki

P

yeah man! post up the new one!

C
cy posted on Wed, Mar 21, 2012 4:13 PM

Nice carve with a high degree of difficulty NIxxon. Looks great with the dark stain and McTiki's inlay idea would add some color.

A

I think McTiki is on to something there. Those inlays would go great with that color.

N

Thx for the interest everybody!!

The inlays sound like a great idea...just may have to try that.

So I was planning on waiting until I was a little further along to post this one but since you asked here it is...its proving to be quite the challenge...and for some reason the piece of wood has completely dried out throughout the carving process making it VERY light and kind of brittle. I could probably throw the thing 20 yards.

Anyway...here it is. Thx again for looking!!

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2012-03-22 16:18 ]

[ Edited by: NIxxon 2012-03-22 16:20 ]

P

that is an excellent start brother.

M

Nice rough out!

If the wood in the middle is powder Be leary of pressuring
The cuts in the head. It may snap at the neck.

Props Nix!

Mahalo

McTiki

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 2:10 PM

Well the Tang is still in production but I managed to finish this guy for a co-worker who is an avid angler...

Here's one in my yard

And one in action fishing for the ever elusive toilet trout...

P

lol...nice.

He'll be stoked for sure...

you should try to carve a likeness of his favorite fish for the end of the line...

and that tang is takin' your game up a notch! well played sir...

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 2:54 PM

Thx bro...I actually cut out the shape of a Red to put on the end b/c that's what he mainly fishes...the wood is plywood though so it didn't really take well to carving...but the shape is on.

P

I'm bringing you some cedar.

N
NIxxon posted on Sat, May 5, 2012 3:21 PM

oh dang...for real?

P

yep. I still have some, and I have a neighbor who has a cedar tree that needs to be trimmed.

I'm comin' out either tues or weds or both. waves are gonna be NE and like chest high & glassy. I'll call ya.

N
NIxxon posted on Sun, May 6, 2012 9:43 AM

Right on bro...ill be working Tuesday but off Wednesday for sure.

Love the work

N

Thanks!! ^^^

N

Got some carving in over the last few days...and boy is it HOT outside.

This log has a couple of bad spots in it but I kinda like the look so far

Thanks for looking!!

P

I like!

nice start...

Lookin good

N

So its been a while but I got back out and worked on this guy a bit...I was asked to supply a donation for Saint Baldricks and of course a TIKI was the first thing that came to mind. It went to a raffle and raised some money for a great cause. The pic isnt that great but you get the idea.

A
amate posted on Fri, Mar 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Nice to see you back on the forum. Hope to see you start another one soon.

P

how's your back bro?

N

Thx Amate! More to come soon...

The back is doing much better...thx for asking! I should be back out carving on a regular basis :)

N

Got back and did some carving today! Feels great to chop some wood again :) more to come soon! Thx for looking

P

this makes me happy.

welcome back bro...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 245 replies