Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Change the Date: Tiki Mag Spring '11 Release Party April 10th at Bahooka

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

Lucas will be fundraising for Public Broadcasting at the kissing booth as well. :wink: Be sure to wear that turtleneck and tweed blazer with the elbow patches! And don't forget those Charlie Rose DVD's....

[ Edited by: Jungle Ginger 2011-04-08 11:57 ]

Oh man, I'd LOVE to be there to hang out with all my SoCal Tiki buds at this shindig! I'll be sipping a mai tai there in spirit.....

HT

To celebrate the new issue of TIKI MAGAZINE at Bahooka and see my favorite band ,the THE HULA GIRLS I made a frame for the new issue. The guitar at the top of the frame is an exact copy of Spike's guitar

He is hiiiieeeeeere:

A shy little critter, he snarled at me, and then he was gone...

Just as YOU are gonna be gone when you taste the TIKI REVIVER from it:

I am thrilled to announce that this concoction, formulated by Beachbum Berry, will be prepared by no other than expert mixologist Kelly "HipHipaHula" Reilly - so you know you will be pleased!

Here is some research concerning the properties and history of the aphrodisiac ingredient in the drink:

1.) According to the Angewandte Chemie International Edition article, ..... became popular among young people, bohemians, and prisoners in the post-World War II period, 'and this use was mainly, if not exclusively, confined to the USA.' A 1966 New York Times piece named it along with morning glory seeds, diet aids, cleaning fluids, cough medicine, and other substances as alternative highs on college campuses.

2.) A jazz musician who played regularly with the legendary saxophonist Charlie Parker (known as 'Bird') recalled that: 'Bird introduced this ....... to the guys. It was a cheap and legal high. You can take it in milk or Coca-Cola.

3.) The extracts of .... were found to stimulate the mounting behaviour of male mice, and also to significantly increase their mating performance. The drugs were devoid of any conspicuous general short term toxicity.

I'm very proud and honored to be mixing up nearly a few hundred or millions of servings of "Tiki Reviver" for the Bahooka to serve up for the release of the Book of Tiki Mug this Sunday at the Bahooka. I've been in my lab working out math equations and taste testing, the cocktail is exotic and delicious to say the least. Did you know there is s a aphrodisiac in it? I can attest to this! Wonderful mug indeed a real show stopper, very impressive, awesome job everyone. Thanks again to Sven and Jeff for inviting me to mix up the Tiki Reviver! Cheers! See you at the Bahooka Sunday!

INDEED, HE HAS RISEN FROM THE BOOK!

Looks Awesome!!
can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

N

I'm really excited for the event. Missed seeing the TC Ohana. I think you'll really like the new issue. Also Kirby's necklace looks great! BOT mug looks great as well and is a must have. We have some great vendors, cool music with BigTikiDude and the Hula Girls (not to mention the beautiful Hula Girls dancers), and now Kelly is mixing the new cocktail. WOW! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Nicktiki

OK....sorrry folks to hog the events page with my imagery, but it's just that I have been on this Moritz Mug inspired trip to portray the Tiki in different settings.

Yesterday I was vibe-ing on the aphrodisiac contained in the Tiki Reviver cocktail. I came up with two set ups, and now I cannot decide which one I like best. Here is my first attempt:

"THE TIKI REVIVER - Always a Hit with the Ladies!"
(Alternate title: "Fiery Phallus")

Then it got a little more complex. So now, without further ado, I give you:

(in deep voice): "AT THE TEMPLE OF TIKI !"

(...oh the things grown men spend their time with! :lol:)

K
kirby posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2011 5:28 PM

Oh man that's a tough call sven, I like them both..

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2011 5:51 PM

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-04-09 18:55 ]

#2 Fo Sho.

now Grow up Sven.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2011 6:54 PM

Edited to put pic in previous post on preceeding page.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-04-09 18:56 ]

bump!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Apr 10, 2011 10:40 AM

and grind!

My 2nd tiki event in ever other than the "In Search of Tiki" Event at Forest lawn In August a couple years ago... yeah yeah im a tiki noob. Be Gentle... Looking forward to meet the Tiki Ohana.

Good user name, SLR!

On 2011-04-09 17:51, GROG wrote:

On 2011-04-09 16:54, bigbrotiki wrote:

"THE TIKI REVIVER - Always a Hit with the Ladies!"
(Alternate title: "Fiery Phallus")

"AT THE TEMPLE OF TIKI !"

Nice little cover collage, Ernie, looks real! You must be psychic or sumpthin': The NEXT Tiki Mag cover will actually be done by Moritz R. And I am gonna write an article about the man.

J

Anyone from Boyle Heights is A-OK in my book !!

On 2011-04-10 11:28, JOHN-O wrote:
Anyone from Boyle Heights is A-OK in my book !!

John-O
Dogtown as in: Around William Mead? Awesome!!!
and Lucas; I see you might be a fan of Lord Sutch or Screamin Jay! Good Man Sir.
Ill Be wearing a red baseball hat with TikiCore written on it... Say Hello! hahah.

J

Dogtown as in South SaMo/Venice BUT this Rosemead native son has family bones in Evergreen. Now I'm jonsin' for a Hollenbeck burrito.

We'll be offering the BOT mug for $15 or you can get it for $20 with a "Tiki Reviver" cocktail voucher. Also premierin'... "Rum Belly" by Flounder and our original Tiki mascot back from our earlier eBachelorpad days and our Tiki Farm "Tiki Theater" protagonist, "Partiki" - now, as a mug!

Also, I'll be bringing a stash of miscellaneous TF mugs - $10each at the Bahooka event!

T

Holden,
Good seeing last night. Stopping by an ATM, think I'm gonna need lots of cash for this one.

I

Bring on the tiki mugs!

Amazing night! The crowd was WAY bigger than I had anticipated as after all, it was a Sunday night. Thanks to Nick for putting this all together and to the Bahooka for hosting the show. Sven was a busy mug signer indeed! It was great to see a lot of faces I haven't seen in a while and really cool to see a lot of new faces. I'm completely spent....zzzzzz

Now THAT was a nice night! The people came, the place was hopping, the Tiki Reviver flowed, and the BOT mugs sold out. (Just the ones brought in)

Me and the BOT mug had a great time - even though he seems to be lookin' the wrong way here....

JB

Cheers! Beautiful mug Sven.

[ Edited by: Loki-Tiki 2011-04-11 09:06 ]

What a great event last night! I love the Bahooka!
Thanks to Nick for having The Hula Girls play. We tried some brand new songs for the first time.... Some worked and some (ahem) could use a little work. But nonetheless, we had a blast!

I picked up a Bahooka mug and Dinah got the new BOT mug for us. That drink was amazing!
I can't wait to go through the new issue of Tiki Magazine...

C

Wow, what a fun night! Got the BOT mug and finally the Bahooka mug, the new issue of Tiki Magazine (thanks mucho for the Ding Dong Devils review!), heard some great Hula Girls music (with some great dancing from Dinah and Judy), saw a lot of great friends, met some fine folks I didn't previously know, basked in the glory of Joe Banks and Marty Lush's stellar jackets, saw the finished Tikiyaki van, got to watch Rufus the 35 year old fish eat several carrots, bask in the general splendor of Bahooka, enjoyed a refreshing Tiki Reviver (and a few of something or other), and I don't remember what else!

Now I need a Monday Back at Work Reviver!

Caltiki

J

Hey this wasn't just the 10 year anniversary for BOT but 2011 is the 20th anniversary for the inspiration for BOT.

And at the Bahooka no less. It came full circle yesterday.

In Rosemead, CA !!

Which booth was the Bigbro sitting in on that eventful day in 1991 ??

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-11 11:25 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 11, 2011 11:53 AM

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5038/4da3474f.jpg[/img

[img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/5038/4da3474f.jpg)

Adrian and the Polypoppers

Crazy Al in stealth photographer mode

Cutey Pie Dinah Derosa with the Book of Tiki mug

GROG' crap came out well. Thanks everybody who buy GROG' crap

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-04-11 11:56 ]

Wheeeew!!
What a night.
I'm still beat, and need to get to work today, so I can take Friday off for Mojave Oasis.
I was totally surprised at the turnout for a Sunday too.
But Good stuff like New Tiki Mag, Book of Tiki Mug, and
and great venders and bands etc...
made for a really fun event,
that people realized they needed to be at.

Kudos to Nick, and all,
for a Great event.

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-04-11 11:11, JOHN-O wrote:
Hey this wasn't just the 10 year anniversary for BOT but 2011 is the 20th anniversary for the inspiration for BOT.

And at the Bahooka no less. It came full circle yesterday.

In Rosemead, CA !!

Which booth was the Bigbro sitting in on that eventful day in 1991 ??

John-O, you are my living conscience. THAT fact totally had slipped my mind! Too much Tiki in this ol' brain to remember. Oh jeez.... we So Cal Tikiphiles are so jaded, taking our classic Tiki temples all over the place for granted, we forget our OWN history with them.

Here's the historic document that proves it:
Flyer #5 of the L.A. Cacaphony Society (an off-spring of the Church of the Subgenius)

Yes it was at Bahooka (I cannot remember the booth, it was somewhere down to the right past the bar, I think..) where I sat with 8 -10 professed Tiki fans, and realized I knew more about this than anyone, and that I had to do the book.

J

Full circle for Hula too, ha ha. :)

And what are "talking Hula stones" ?? :-?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-04-11 13:09 ]

Awesome Party! My Girlfriend and I had a blast. GROG: the mug is sitting nice among the Special(autographed) Tiki mugs. The Salt And Pepper Shakers will be filled tonight. The New Issue of TIKI Magazine is great! The Reviver Was GREAT (3 down the hatch+ 2 Zombies) The Hula Girls were Great! BIG Tiki Dude Killed! we had to leave early... 5a.m. wake-up call + I was a little Smashed! Thanks to everyone involved in putting that together.

[ Edited by: Screaming Lord Richie 2011-04-11 13:44 ]

On 2011-04-11 13:43, Screaming Lord Richie wrote:
The Reviver Was GREAT (3 down the hatch+ 2 Zombies)....... we had to leave early... 5a.m. wake-up call + I was a little Smashed!

I can't imagine WHY!? :D

On 2011-04-11 10:27, congawa wrote:
Wow, what a fun night! Got the BOT mug and finally the Bahooka mug, the new issue of Tiki Magazine...enjoyed a refreshing Tiki Reviver...
Now I need a Monday Back at Work Reviver!

I want to a ask for a round of applause for Kelly, for doing such a stellar job at mixing Jeff Berry's Tiki Reviver cocktail. As usual, the effects of a good libation come to play later in the evening, when everybody is under its influence: I saw a lot of smiling, happy faces, and no one wanted to leave. Well, the Hula Girls (and the guys) had something to do with that, too. :)

The pic's look great wish we coulda been there for this one...

So when and where can those unlucky ones get that mug?

Besides Kelly,

I must also thank Moritz, for designing such an iconic Tiki that even ten years later it is a unique, instantly recognizable image.

I must thank Holden for helping us getting the mug in the perfect shape that it is now in. May it be a steady bestseller for Tiki Farm.

I must thank Jeff Berry for designing such a yummy, exciting, cocktail - you were right about the name!

I must thank the Bahooka for having stayed the same for so many years! Don't change!

I must thank Nick for having us take part in his release party, and for keeping such a great magazine running.

And I wanna thank the Hula guys'n'girls and Big Tiki Dude for providing excellent musical entertainment, and all the artists who brought their newest creations to the party. MY favorite mug among the many great ones was actually this one:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35726&forum=21&vpost=584468

:)

Oh, and of course I must thank my loving wife Naomi for playing my lovely sales assistant once again. Couldn't have signed that many mugs without you! (Phew, just in time!) :D

Sven,

Congratulations on a great looking and successful event, I was bummed that I could not get away from Santa Barbara to attend.

Any chance of picking up one of the BOT Mugs this weekend at Mojave?

DC

lol. thanks for being at the party Sven! The BOT Mug is a great addition o my ohanas collection. Thanks A TON!

AF

Lot's of fun! Sven, congrats on a the milestone and the great Moritz Tiki Farm Mug and also to Nick on the new Tiki mag! The drink was awesome, the sounds were great and times were good!

Big Bro at work...

Holden with a moment to relax...

It's all about the mug!

[ Edited by: A frame 2011-04-12 19:07 ]

OK, here's two-tons of photo fun...

Uh, that would be the "Featured Carver" (he also does a ton of other cool stuff too) of Vol. 7 Issue 1 of Tiki Magazine.

"Hey Brent, look at Scott's cool jacket over there."

"Hey Krisdrama, you like my cool new jacket?"

"Hey Scott, that's a pretty cool jacket."

"This thing isn't reflecting, is it?"

"No reflecting over here."

"Apparently Dave only has three fingers on his right hand."

"It's actually a mug."

"Oh Eric that's so funny!"

"Oh my, Christian is almost smiling!"

"What the Hell am I going to write on this for Tom?"

"Thank the Gods you're here!"

Hula Goods!

"Hey Gus, it looks like Sherri's makin' Misha sniff her sleeve."

"Sherri, keep that scented sleeve away from me!"

"Ooh, fragrant!"

"Hey, what's over here?"

"It's Al, he's so crazy!"

"...and thank you everyone for being here tonight."
Oh yeah...sorry Tonga Tom, for not crediting your photo in the new issue of Tiki Magazine, I blame it on the Photo Editor. Don't worry, Holden will hook you up with some mugs."

"We love the Hula Girls"

Apologies to the men, for cutting the girls out of this photo

Oh, wait a minute, here ya go...

Trouble in the parking lot...

We actually had a few more people at this table.

"Kelly, these drinks are delicious!"

Just in case anyone forgot what Sven's first mug looks like...

"Jeremy, you're so silly."

"So let me get this right, you didn't give Tom credit for his photo in the new issue of Tiki Magazine?"
"Yeah, that guy sucks."

The Hula Girls 3rd set...They just keep giving and giving!

The lovely ladies

...and, more lovely ladies

Insert whistle sound effect here

"What's everyone lookin' at?

"Oh, so that's what everyone was looking at."

Always a head above the rest.

Except for Erik Link that is...Hangin' in the creepy loner corner by the bar

"Hey GROG, you're creepin' me out."

"Hey Kelly, GROG's creepin' me out."

Hey, I forgot one...

Congrats Sven and Kirby! Sorry we had to miss out on this, looks like it was a swell time, unfortunately worked until late on Sunday. Will there be more of the mug available later?

Mais oui, bien sur, mon ami! Cass, that mug is a Tiki Farm open run, so I expect it it to be on the WACKO shelves soon.

And for all of Tiki Europe, Lurker ordered a bunch so they will be available at Klang und Kleid under http://www.alohawaii.de/

Tom D, you are one prolific shooter! Thanks for all the work of posting all these. Special thanks for the Bahooka mug product shot! And that kissing Big Al photo: Man, I forgot that the Mafia doesn't do that in public anymore (so the FBI can't "make" us)! :)

And then THIS is my all time fave shot to portray the Bahooka experience:

They should put that on their web site (WITH your credit, of course!)

TM

On 2011-04-12 07:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
Mais oui, bien sur, mon ami! Cass, that mug is a Tiki Farm open run, so I expect it it to be on the WACKO shelves soon.

And for all of Tiki Europe, Lurker ordered a bunch so they will be available at Klang und Kleid under http://www.alohawaii.de/

Tom D, you are one prolific shooter! Thanks for all the work of posting all these. Special thanks for the Bahooka mug product shot! And that kissing Big Al photo: Man, I forgot that the Mafia doesn't do that in public anymore (so the FBI can't "make" us)! :)

And then THIS is my all time fave shot to portray the Bahooka experience:

They should put that on their web site (WITH your credit, of course!)

Or, if you ever do a book of MODERN Tiki (documenting the current neo-tiki scene) that would be a GREAT picture!

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies