Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Douk-douk knives

Pages: 1 13 replies

L

Anyone here into Douk-douk knives? My buddy gave me one for my birthday and I've become a bit obsessed with it.

Just great. Now I'm gonna have to find one of those.

Looks like a French spelling of Duk-Duk. "The douk-douk is a very simple slipjoint knife, having no locking mechanism, but only a very strong backspring to bias it towards opening and closure"

TK

ooohhhhh... i want 1.

V

Have you seen the tiki one ?

Those knives were used by the french army in the colonies. You can see most of the collection here : http://www.hommedesbois.fr/couteau/couteau_poche/douk_douk/couteaux.htm

Easy to find in France.

[ Edited by: virani 2011-02-28 09:15 ]

L
Lente posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2011 4:59 PM

They are really functional as knives also. Fit right in the pocket, and they stay sharp a really long time.
I just have the basic douk-douk, not the tiki one. But I'm sure I'll be acquiring more.

The most tiki knife I own is a Dyak made Parang I bought in Brunei, the old chap I bought it off had the old style throat tattoo. I use it for everything from gardening to opening coconuts.

TM

Filipino bolo

TK

dats a nice bolo. i perfer the barong myself. i have a nice 1 and a punal and 2 sundags and a balisong. its great to have ex-pat friends in davo city.

I've got a couple of balisongs too but don't take them out of the drawer much. Possesion in California is a FELONY!!! You can strap a machete to your belt or a shotgun to your back, but don't get caught with a balisong in your pocket!

TK

not illegal here but it is too nice to carry around. the spydercos are for that.

Found my douk douk knife. Reminds me of Eric and Manuel.

Looks gently used Erik, where'd ya find it?

Teh pic is way better than the knife. Ya know that fancy "flash photography!" Found at an estate sale today. The only thing.

Pages: 1 13 replies