Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Goin'Primitive (Thanks to everyone who came to this little Oasis)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies

M

On 2011-04-22 11:16, TNT wrote:
If this isn't too prmitive - we're in too. Teresa doesn't camp.

If you rent one of their trailers, or bring a rented trailer or RV, it is not like camping at all! We officially stayed for the first time in our Vintage trailer at the event and it was awesome! VERRRY comfortable!

:o

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2011-09-26 20:20 ]

T

On 2011-05-17 15:05, Queen Kamehameha wrote:

On 2011-05-17 14:27, MadDogMike wrote:
I know it's not MCM but what about this '40 Ford Woody?

This is the new addition to Mojave Oasis, it's called a Delta Van Cruiser. It very much looks likes a hi-bred van/ Boat. It is unique to say the least. Here are some photos. I hope you like it.... We haven't determined a use for it yet, it does run, but our lake is really too small, but cool it is, built in the 70's with a mid-century modern fireplace. enjoy!

Amy

A boat that looks like a van,with a Preway fireplace inside.....PERFECT ! The best possible "use for it" is me sleepin in there :) WHOO !

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 18, 2011 9:58 AM

Why does everybody hit "quote" and post the same photos over and over, so we end up with a page or two of the same pictures? We know what you're talking about.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-05-18 10:39 ]

On 2011-05-18 09:58, GROG wrote:
Why does everybody hit "quote" and post the same photos over and over, so we end up with a page or two of the same pictures? We know what you're talking about.

Ditto!

And as a reminder to people considering coming to Goin'Primitive please check page 1 for information and updates.
If you look at this page it looks like a boat show!!!!!! No rednecks or inbreeds wanted at this event sorry.

W

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2011-05-20 10:44 ]

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2011-09-26 20:22 ]

Hi All, jut wanted to update on the event, we took lots of deposits at Tiki Caliente, thanks, those who went to Mojave, if you havent already emailed me or Rory please do, so you don't lose your spot before we open it up.

t was great to see everyone and thank you all for the kind words on Mojave. We have already started to add some new and exciting things, so I hope to see you all at "goin Primitive!"

amy

CA

On 2011-05-03 18:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Stellar, Ernie! From the outer reaches of Tiki space, this guy could have been a bar denizen on this planet:

Right on target again BigBro! However, lest anyone think Grog's clubs can hold a candle to...
here goes nothing, what is 'Going Primitive' without taking heads and slingin' poo!

here is my 2001 toy sculpt that i did for BurgerKing-Japan happy meal hand puppet movie promo...

that chainmail was a bitch and this sculpt was about the last commercial job I did. The toy industry took a hit at the time and i was starting to make as much for carving my tikis... if not more.

Groggie did a fantastic job at creating Davey Wong's character. I told him at Caliente he might have a future as a sculptor! However most likeness jobs are milled with a computer these days. Davey has done a few logos for my band APE.

speeking of APE... maybe Groggers can reference some nice glazes for the mug collection
here's a beaut' for primitive motif

my fave..

and Hip-hop hula gotz one. with a tiger pelt!

now that i got that out of the way....
I'm Suuuuuuuuper Excited about this Event! Perfect!!
when I graduated art school 20 years ago this year... I created CrazyAL's Bone Productions so i could live the bula life style and make 'primitive art'... soon i realized i could not compete with African and Indonesian imports and later Tikimania was born since no-one but Bosko and OA were dealing/creating in tiki stuff. Coco Joe's soon after went out of business. Now? I cant compete with Tiki imports or Buzzy or the Kirb Mi'ster

Bone Productions came from my collecting of bones and propensity for having them appear in my hair every day at the time.
here's a little crazy beard from 1993...you think mine looks crapy now...LOL...that's about all the face produced in the 90's,

didn't stop me then... look at me now... just add bones!! (to preserve the hair on my head, I moved the daily bones to the beard knowing that wouldn't be a sad loss)

stolen from face book.... thanks Mandy!
i have that '93 bone (drift-wood) some were in a box... I'll have to dig it up!
the wahine? she tired of the crazy life style and canoed off crazy island... she might like this event and paddle back! nice!

funny that on the same 'roll of film' that the Planet of the Apes head was on was the pics of c.AL Tiki #29 and a 4-6 foot bula shack i made for a commercial ad. shoot. Later all this OA stuff decorated the first Tiki Oasis stage and the appearance of APE on it in 2003. I referred my buddy Joe to make the shrunken heads because of the deadline. He made more on 4 heads then i did on the whole job. I really should learn how to bid jobs.

I was going to recreate this at the first Mojave Gathering for my 'tent'... but i decided to wait and Go Primitive instead!!

What a blast we had out at the big MO last time!
Seeeeeeeeee Ya Alllllll There! that is if I'm invited back after a goofy post like this...
Amy fired me once already!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2x_EOlGYd0

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 07:39 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 25, 2011 1:46 AM

Al, you're in better shape now than you were then. Proof some things do get better with age.

Killer Planet of the Apes sculpt. GROG glad GROG not have to do that for the Goin' Primitive mug!

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-05-25 02:16 ]

CA

well it takes a bit of effort to get into caveman shape. (and that photo is under lit with the flash)
I just finished a grueling 3 years of no sleep etc... i called it Art Center AIDS because most of the folks I new had some kind of sickness by graduation.
They didn't have any sculpting classes, I started sculpting my 'illustrations' and getting A's for my scholarship!! I think the teachers were blown away and didn't know how to grade me I guess. Sculpting re leaved some of the stress but took away more of the sleep

This sculpt is supremeo! can'ty wait to see it finished!!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 07:29 ]

Al, when are you going to write an autobio? I think that would be an interesting read!

CA

that's what TC is for....
there will be a lot of this propaganda coming out of the BoneProductions Camp!
It was about 23 years ago that someone called me CrazyAL... and introduced me to tiki collecting. It's all bioed out in the TikiMag artical here...
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/TikiMag.html

so every thing I've done 'Tiki'-wise will be a 20th anniversary from that point on... meeting Otto etc...
this one is 20 years old this summer i believe... Santa Barbara Banana Plantation. And yes I'm 'commando' :wink: in this shot... long story for next post....

that grass skirt I stole from my sister who brought it back for Hawaii in 1972...It never did wrap completely around me all so good as it was meant for a 7 year old. I still got that too.... what is left of it. Many parties were left with bits of Hawaii at them... or wherever that skirt was made, LOL

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 08:33 ]

We can't fire you Al, your one of a kind and you worked yourself into the fabric of the master plan. But I agree with Grog.
From seeing the before and after photo,I have to know how a starving artist can afford Roids!!! Now Dig that.

W

My voice and braincells are just coming back from TC3.

P.S. You brought the roof down faster then a piece of Bamboo Ben construction.

Al, you are one of a kind...... Did I really fire you? On another note I thought you did a masterful Job at Caliente, and at Mojave, so thank you for that. We expect nothing less then amazing for Goin Primitive!We know you wont disappoint us.

On the Mug, I would like to think we are just spreading the love. You are an amazing Carver, Squid,Babalu, Wendy, Tikidiable, Gecko, Kirby, Gogo and Danny, Eric October, Tiki Farm and their designers and others, I can't even name all the artists who Mugs I have in My collection.

Rory and I for our new event together wanted to go with someone we didn't use in our own events to keep them separate. We wanted to use someone we like and think has moved to the level of doing a run of event Mugs..... Grog was our man! His Mugs of late have been amazing, fun, whimsical and different. His rendition of the Original art is amazing and we are proud of him as an artist and honored that he would accept a job taking on someone Else's art. Very hard indeed for any great artist. We are excited to promote him and his amazing Mug.

Of all the years I have been in Tiki and of all the art, Mugs, Tikis, etc I have bought, I am always happy when someone tries something new and does good. It keeps me excited and is a great addition to the tried and true heavy hitters who started this hobby, made it what it is and inspires the rest of the pack

Amy

CA

Grog's our Man! Caveman that is... I've got several mugs to get in the works plenty to do! just got to get to it. The next one has been in the works for a while now and it's on APE tooooooooooooo......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

This Event is a long time coming.... GOooooooooooooo PRIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiMITIVE!

that little bone there is well over 20 years old... maybe the fad with finally catch on!

[ Edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 15:04 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 25, 2011 1:47 PM

20 years old!! The ads on TV said you should see a doctor if you have one longer than 4 hours. You should get that checked, Al!

Thanks everybody for the props on the mug and all the compliments GROG got at Tiki Caliente when people saw the wax master. GROG making plaster production molds now, and they'll have to dry out about a week, and then GROG will be able to start pouring greenware so GROG can get started on A.P. color tests to figure out the glazes for this bastard.

YAY! Ernie's getting famous!
and not for his fannypack either!
Hooray!
Great looking mug,by the way!
Eagerly awaiting to see it progress to a finished product!
:)

T

After Grog finishes these mugs Im sure he will be wearing a bone in his flowing locks too .

I am starting to go over the list of people that payed deposits and requested spot's.
I may be contacting you by email in the next couple of days to get a headcount for your trailer or Tents.
Please remember the Vintage Trailer on grounds only hold 2 people each and each one is set up different then the next.

Try to get a head count buy the time you pay for the package.....the rates are less

This is the breakdown for Pre-sales

kids 40.00
extra one day pass 99.00
extra person 75.00
tents 125.00
trailers they bring 165.00
our trailers 275.00

if you want to add on Thursday in will be $50 for the space No extra per person.

This group will be contacted directly from me (Rory Snyder) and then sales will go through the Mojave Oasis Website.....ONLY there website.

any questions please P.M. Me

I will be scanning a map in the next day or two.

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 26, 2011 12:41 PM

Here's the final wax sculpt which is what GROG brought to Tiki Caliente as a preview/promo. The big bump on top of the fezz is the pour spout for the mold.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-05-26 12:44 ]

On 2011-05-25 13:11, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
...We wanted to use someone we like and think has moved to the level of doing a run of event Mugs..... Grog was our man! His Mugs of late have been amazing, fun, whimsical and different. His rendition of the Original art is amazing and we are proud of him as an artist and honored that he would accept a job taking on someone Else's art. Very hard indeed for any great artist. We are excited to promote him and his amazing Mug.

Well said Amy! And well done GROG! Nice subtle texture on the fez, you got some approx dimensions for us?

Size? Big ass!!!!! Bigger then my massive Tiki Caliente 3 Mug.....

Use 2 hands

W

Size? Big ass!!!!! Bigger then my massive Tiki Caliente 3 Mug.....

Use 2 hands

W

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 26, 2011 6:39 PM

On 2011-05-26 14:02, MadDogMike wrote:

Nice subtle texture on the fez, you got some approx dimensions for us?

Thanks MadDoggers.

Right now he's almost 7.5 inches tall at the front of the fez where it's the tallest. From the furthest back of his head to his nose staight across is about 4 inches, and the same from his lip which sticks out furthest in front, to it's direct opposite. His ears are 6 inches across tip to tip and his head width is 3.5 inches at it's widest.

He'll be smaller when he's a mug. so he might be about 7 inches tall when finished.

Aloha! We didn't get a email about the 'Primitive event... we want the same spot (Todd & Deb) if its possible?

On 2011-04-17 19:44, Wildsville man wrote:
Express your Dark Side with Goin' Primitive.

Mojave Oasis + Tiki Caliente =

General Sales Start July 1st at 10a.m.

Friends of Mojave Oasis: You should get a email from Amy to Hold your Spot for Goin'Primitive. Let Us know what package your interested in and we will hold it for you Till July 1st.

YOU CAN RESERVE AND PAY FOR THE SPOT WITHOUT KNOWING THE HEADCOUNT.....ADD THEM LATER.

You will be send a paypal early June for request of payment,please pay by July 1st or the spot will be given away for General Sales.

If you Pick Rentable Trailers (Classic trailers already on ground) its first request first held but must be payed for by June 15th. Very Limited...and high request.

Friends or Caliente: you can Pay a $20 non-refundable deposit at Caliente and reserve your spot for pre-release too.

YOU CAN RESERVE AND PAY FOR THE SPOT WITHOUT KNOWING THE HEADCOUNT.....ADD THEM LATER.

Please trust that you will be entertained from the people that brought you Tiki Caliente and Mojave Oasis

PACKAGE PRICES BELOW

The dates are October 14-16th 2011

The Tent Package(warrior in the grass) prices are 125.00 with one full pass

The Outrigger package (bring your own Trailer) 165.00 with One full pass

Our Rentable Trailers package are 275.00 with one full pass

Extra Adult is 75.00
Extra Child is 40.00
Vending 50.00

We are offering a special to people who want to come Thursday and or stay over Sunday as well. The price would be 50.00 for Thursday and 25.00 for Sunday and those prices will be per tent or trailer, not per person.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goin-Primitive/196284880408355

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2011-05-16 23:16 ]

Kouko Lui, Todd, Debbie, please PM me or Rory all your info, we will add you to all updates

Amy

Peep's of the Primitive,
As I am Catching up from my Tiki Caliente 3 Show,I am going into Primitive Prep 100% this week.

Most of you have been contacted with spots and options,but If I missed you please send me a P.M.

Also,These are special prices for people who came to Mojave Oasis or payed a deposit at Caliente.
Please know we have a names list not a location list.

ATTENTION PLEASE!!!!!!!
Please realize until we go public for sales on July 1st every booking is hand done by myself.

Please Do not send general comment like ,WERE IN!!!! or I WANT MY SAME SPOT!!!!

We do not have the Mojave assigned spots to work with.

So if you want a certain Spot,please give it to me or contact me so we can figure it out.

If you want the special rate this is what I need as an example.

Tent spot with 2 extra people

or

Trailer spot with 2 extra people

NOT.........

I'm In!!!!!!

But,I do hope your in!!!!!!!!!!DIg?

P.M. me any questions and I will respond within 24 hours.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2011 1:57 PM

GROG IN!!!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 3, 2011 1:57 PM

P.S. :D

Hi All, remember if you came to Mojave Oasis and you want the same spot and the same price, you need to email Rory before July1st. We are excited about this event, we are adding some new features, music, contests amenities, and fun! we hope you will Join us

Amy

KL

Thanks, got our pay pal invoice.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 10:02 PM

Here's a bone-dry greenware (it hasn't been fired yet) compared to the wax master on the right. The greenware is 7" tall and the wax is 7 and 1/4".
The ears on the greenware are about 5 and 3/4" wide. He'll shrink just a smidge more when he's fired, but he'll basically be about 7" at the front of his fez.

Here's a size comparison to a couple of popular mugs.

So cool GROG!!!

This Mug is Amazing.
The photo of the 3 mugs together shows how it will stand out in any collection.

Grog and David Wong are the Game changers.

Thank God we have Grog.

:music: And it's all for me GROG me jolly, jolly GROG
All for my beer and tobacco
Well, I spent all me tin with the ladies drinkin' gin
Far across the Western Ocean I must wander :music:

Awesome Ernie. And what a great image you had to create from. Can hardly wait to see the finished version.

Bear

Peeps of Primitive,
If you gave a deposit and have not been contacted please P.M. Me.

If you have a Vintage trailer being held please pay by June 15th or it will be going,going,gone...........back-up's are waiting.

People who have a spot held for tents or campers please pay by July 1st.

We will go on sale to the General Public at 10a.m. on July 8th.

Please tell your friends.........but only the cool ones,Dig?

W

Peeps of Primitive,
If you gave a deposit and have not been contacted please P.M. Me.

If you have a Vintage trailer being held please pay by June 15th or it will be going,going,gone...........back-up's are waiting.

People who have a spot held for tents or campers please pay by July 1st.

We will go on sale to the General Public at 10a.m. on July 8th.

Please tell your friends.........but only the cool ones,Dig?

W

Do you Follow us on Facebook?

Tune in at 10a.m. June 16th for your chance to crash in one of our on ground vintage trailers.
This is for the fan that likes to kick it retro like,and travel with just a bad in hand.

only 2 spots remain and one can be yours.......tune in at 10a.m.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goin-Primitive/196284880408355

W

Ernie this mug looks amazing! Seriously, I am humbled by your talent. I love the source material and you just brought it to life!

...I may need to make a batch of special extra tall fezzes to commemorate this.

Wanna live large among the Primitive people? Go to our Facebook page at 10a.m. For your chance to get into the last 2 vintage trailers on grounds......

Trailer holds only 2 people and puts you in the area next o the bathrooms/showers/general store.

Get ready o pull that trigger,

Rory

CA

AND WHAR THE PAH'TEAH! Izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! FI'YAH!!

what's more primitive then dancing around a bond fire whooping it up???

One Vintage trailer left.........

W

i got mine!
Get your vintage trailer NOW
and you could possibly have
one of the handsomest artists in Tiki
as a NEIGHBOR for the entire weekend!
just stay off my lawn!
:)

Kenny, wow, I am sure we will sell it soon and get you a nice neighbor :), it is early. We have a lot of fun and cool things planned with Halloween around the corner, but it won't be dark, it will be fun. so stay tuned for updates and book when ready! tiki Ray will be doing the fish and fry, we now know there are many many fish in the lake, Buzzy caught 3-12 lb cat fish last week. and the bass are as big.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2011-06-19 21:43 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 399 replies