Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Caliente Tropics Iconic A-Frame suffers terrible structural damage

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

On 2011-05-24 15:29, Wildsville man wrote:

On 2011-05-24 09:13, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-05-24 07:29, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-05-24 07:05, Piratiki wrote:
Ack! We're booked to stay at the Caliente Tropics in about a week and half for 2 nights.

The primary reason we are/were staying was for the Tiki Architecture here. (I wasn't aware of the disdain the owners have for Tiki. Boo.)

Should we look elsewhere in PS for a couple of nights? Suggestions?

Scott

"Disdain" might be harsh. C'mon they own/run a Tiki motel. :). My understanding is they didn't want to accomodate a large event until the SLOW season. Anyway NOW might be the best time to go out of your way to stay there. Just make sure to remind them you're there for the TIKI.

Good differentiation, John-O. Can we really judge the owner of a business if he does not bend over backwards for a once-a-year event? The fact remains that the Tiki community does not carry enough weight for any large business, Motel OR restaurant, to sustain itself all year around.

That said, it is totally understandable that an event operator, after having proven the economic validity of his event several times and still not getting appropriate service, chooses to go somewhere else. And I hear the new Motel owners offered just the kind of hospitality and gratitude that one COULD be shown - that is wonderful!

I would not call it disdain, I would call it indifference. In this case though, the indifference is such that it gets close to willful indifference. :)

And the same indifference will ultimately affect the outcome of the A-frame salvage: If it is economically feasible, and covered by insurance, OR if the owner is concerned about the loss of re-sale value (a possible argument?) it will get done - it will not be saved because of any love for mid-century architecture.

Well Said Sven,
It wasn't the owners who were the problem because I never had the ability to talk to them.
It wasn't the Staff on Grounds,they were all charming and nice.
It was the off Grounds Manager of the investors who overlooks several locations for the them. The same name that came up when you mention the fall out with Tiki Oasis.

The Place NEVER hated the Tiki Crowd they were just indifferent. It's like loving someone that do's not love you back.

I have great memories of staying at the Tropics with my girlfriend on our first vacation to Palm Springs almost 6 years ago together.
I remember being invited into hawaiian bills before it was open when I peaked my head in with a friend when i was in town to do paperwork on my house too.
The Caliente Tropics Mugs from tiki farm in 2003 were the first got to have tiki swag i HAD to have.

I wish no ill of the Caliente Tropics,I walk those grounds at least once a month and look around and feel the past history. But sadly it is all past history. Every year it looks more distressed and tattered.

I am not saying that out of hate or hurt.

Since 2008 when we did the first Tiki Caliente,they have been through 4 G.M.'s. When I heard about the roof I stopped by to talk to Jim Law the great G.M. I worked with last year and found out he just left.

When you focus on having the cheapest rates in Palm Springs you get a crowd that is usually a little sub par.

I hope to God they fix it,but it would shock me if they did. Because I can't believe the only damage would be to the one leg of that A frame.

So as the Guy who runs Tiki Caliente please believe I love this place and had no problem sending people there to stay on the weekend of the event. I knew the Event would give them some booking and I was cool with that. But my primary job is to be loyal to the people who treat me well.

Travel Lodge was warm and inviting to all the tiki fan's,but you can always visit both.

I will always have a soft spot for the Caliente Tropics....It was my first California Tiki Love.

But HOLY CRAP what were the chances it would go down the weekend of the event?

By the way that first photo is from 2008 with no crack

W

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2011-05-24 15:42 ]

On 2011-05-24 15:34, Wildsville man wrote:
...It was the off Grounds Manager of the investors who overlooks several locations for the them...

And ain't that what's wrong in general with this current "shareholder" form of capitalism: There is no direct relationship between OWNER and CUSTOMER anymore. It's all just dollars and cents shifted around by some middlemen, and the numbers, not the people.

Rory, since you were a LITTLE busy this weekend, I just wanted to make sure you didn't miss this post on your favorite head gear:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40103&forum=1&vpost=590367

T

On 2011-05-24 16:48, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2011-05-24 15:34, Wildsville man wrote:
...It was the off Grounds Manager of the investors who overlooks several locations for the them...

And ain't that what's wrong in general with this current "shareholder" form of capitalism: There is no direct relationship between OWNER and CUSTOMER anymore. It's all just dollars and cents shifted around by some middlemen, and the numbers, not the people.

Well put....with the world and it's economy being how it is...there IS no more Mom and Pop. It's all shareholders......Ken Kimes is probably rolling in his grave right now.
Rory,I have a similar experience to you...Me and Coco stayed at the tropics for the first time in August of 04',shortly after we started dating. I remember seeing the Tiki Central Signboard posted in the lobby,and I guess Tiki Oasis had just been there...I was a TC member then, but didn't really go to any events.Too bad...I missed out.
I DO love the Tropics, and will stay there if I'm ever in Palm Springs and need a place to stay, or just to go bask in whatever tiki-ness is left there. It still has the greatest swimming pool ever.

Hopefully we won't be posting an "R.I.P Caliente Tropics A-Frame" post any time soon.Let's hope the insurance covers restoration.

How's about some old pics of the early Tiki Oasis and Tiki Caliente events of the past ?
Who's got Pics of the very first Tiki Oasis, besides the one Sven posted already ?

T

I found this : Pretty cool !

http://www.tikibot.com/misc/135_convert.mov

Yup, a typical Room 135 "happening". I wonder who DOES have pics, digital photography (camera OR phone) was not as rampant then as it is now.

I love being at the Tropics to walk Martina and get an eye full of the Caliente Tropics and check out Royal Hawaiian and Tiki Spa down the street,But I only like staying at the Tropics when the TC'ers are there. Otherwise the Crowd seems a little more gangster or trashy. Remember last modernism when we stopped by Jim? The Guy next to JP's and Maria's Room with a all the tattoos,tear drop tattoo and the shorts falling off.

But I enjoy the Building....

A couple of other losses over the past 3 years

Found i Trash when I was walking my dog in 2010,now on my wall

Build bu Bamboo Ben for Hawaiian Bills back in 2003

2010 no Jaw

2009 Jaw

Now to happier times

T

Rory...Good point...I remember that night.... Very true when you talk about keeping better clientele there as well.

Yea, it IS best when the Ohana is there.

Glad to see you rescued the parts they they keep throwing away.

I regret not going to the first Caliente,and look forward to the next one.

On 2011-05-24 10:44, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2011-05-24 09:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
it will not be saved because of any love for mid-century architecture.

Given that Palm Springs is the true remaining Mecca for this type of Architecture, and that aesthetic is becoming more a part of the allure of Palm Springs for it's tourism, not only is that sad, but a bit ignorant.

Hopefully, the insurance covers it, and we're all worrying for nothing.

Remember too, people who are not necessarily die hard tiki nerds like us, still are attracted to the tiki "theme"as it were, just for the kitsch factor,and because it does illicit a real "tropical/vacation/relaxation"vibe that you just won't get at a boring old Hilton or Motel 6. It's different, unique. Hopefully the owners realize that and feel that being unique has market value too.

Tiki Caliente needs its dramatic A-Frame entrance to market itself to the Mid-Century Modern fans and to separate itself from the other Travel Lodge motels down the steet.

Many go to Palm Springs not only to chase the desert sun, golf or meet the man of their dreams for the night, but also for the mid-century vibe. That is the audience which Caliente Tropics has invested in that market.

The cost should not be prohibitive in the "big picture" or the "long run."
Caliente Tropics spent $2 million on a make-over in 2001, so they should spend another $50,000.00 to have a street presence to separate them from the Motel 6 and Travel Lodges.

From TikiFarm:

Caliente tropics Resort in Palm Springs, California re-opened in March 2001 after an extensive $2.2 million renovation and is one of the last and greatest examples of the classic Polynesian-styled motor hotels of the 60s. Our Polynesian and Tiki Playground now features up-scale, boutique-styled guestrooms with custom furnishings. Our exterior has been made over to celebrate the original mid-century look when the resort opened in 1964 - A True Palm Springs Icon.

http://www.tikifarm.com/calientetropics.htm

On 2011-05-24 11:41, bigtikidude wrote:
Has anybody asked the hotel what time this happened?

I was sitting at my DJ booth on Sat. around 130 ish,
and heard a big Boom, and felt a vibration.
I thought it was an earthquake.
But some have said there was no earthquakes.
Maybe I felt it fall.

Jeff(btd)

This graph shows NO earthquakes.
This means the insurance $$$ comes through, minus whatever commercial deductible.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/Quakes/quakes_all.html

C

Found i Trash when I was walking my dog in 2010,now on my wall

I don't recognize this (apparently a door). What's unique about it is that, while it isn't original, the tiki on it is patterned after one of the trio from the original logo/art. I believe the middle head of the trio. It's very cool.

Casey,
It's from that cabinet in the photo of me with the Red Shirt. It was in the conference room and we used it for the outside bar in 2008.
Bottom Left Door

W

C

On 2011-05-25 08:56, Wildsville man wrote:
It's from that cabinet in the photo of me with the Red Shirt. It was in the conference room and we used it for the outside bar in 2008.
Bottom Left Door

Gosh, I remember the case now. Ben built it for The REEF, as a display case, as near as I can recall. Thx. Cool. Ben's amazing. I wonder if any of Al's work is still on the patio of the bar as well? That was amazing as well.

DZ

I've always wondered what ever happened to the yellow interior wall of the REEF that everybody signed in 2003 (I think...). I'm certain it's long gone by now - does anyone have any pictures of it?

On 2011-05-25 20:01, Doctor Z wrote:
I've always wondered what ever happened to the yellow interior wall of the REEF that everybody signed in 2003 (I think...). I'm certain it's long gone by now - does anyone have any pictures of it?

It was painted over in the spring of 2005.

I just posted an old postcard of this hotel earlier this week on Flickr before I heard this terrible news.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24047957@N06/5751940180

Here's a picture I took during Modernism Week in February

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24047957@N06/5484416349/in/set-72157626164470848

Does anyone know who the original architect/designer was?

[ Edited by: atomicpear 2011-05-26 10:36 ]

[ Edited by: atomicpear 2011-05-26 17:09 ]

From The Desert Sun today.....

Who is Mark Tipton?

On 2011-05-26 11:50, MadDogMike wrote:
Who is Mark Tipton?

Also, is the person from Kentucky one of the tribe?

Nice first post, Atomic Pear.

Thanks christiki295!

I used to visit Palm Springs every weekend as a child in the late 60s and 70s. Love all things tiki and MCM.

From 2000 through 2004, there was a lot of research done and many connections made with people who not only used the facilities regularly in the 60s but a particular previous property owner as well. At least we got Ken Kimes (the developer) out of it but never much further.

Save the A-Frame!

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Caliente III Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svcK9aoIF4c

Mahaloz and Cheers!

GOOOD NEWS!!!!!

This just in from Pete Moruzzi, Palm Springs Modcom founder and chairman:

-----Original Message-----
To: sventiki
Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 3:59 pm
Subject: Update on Caliente Tropics

Sven,

I just got off the phone with Robert Hoffman, manager of Caliente Tropics. He
told me that he has just hired a contractor to lift the entrance canopy and
replace the support beam with a new one so that the canopy will be completely
restored! He laughed when I told him of my concern because, he said, he has
been inundated with calls about this issue.

Congratulations to everyone who contacted them, making it clear that people care
about the Tropics' original historic fabric!

Peter

JB

Very good news. Thanks Sven!

Wow, great news! The positive power of TC!

DC

Awesome News Sven! I'll drink to that! Cheers!

On 2011-05-31 16:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
GOOOD NEWS!!!!!

This just in from Pete Moruzzi, Palm Springs Modcom founder and chairman:

-----Original Message-----
To: sventiki
Sent: Tue, May 31, 2011 3:59 pm
Subject: Update on Caliente Tropics

Sven,

I just got off the phone with Robert Hoffman, manager of Caliente Tropics. He
told me that he has just hired a contractor to lift the entrance canopy and
replace the support beam with a new one so that the canopy will be completely
restored! He laughed when I told him of my concern because, he said, he has
been inundated with calls about this issue.

Congratulations to everyone who contacted them, making it clear that people care
about the Tropics' original historic fabric!

Peter
INDEED! Bra-VOH everybody who called and e-mailed! You made a difference! :) :) :)

Excellent news!

WHOO ! I was in PS this past Sunday...drove by it several times. SO glad that they are reconstructing it,and that we here made a difference and had a positive effect for once.

Hope all gos smoooth!

Good news!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2011-06-02 15:32 ]

On 2011-05-28 12:43, CaseyJPS wrote:

From 2000 through 2004, there was a lot of research done and many connections made with people who not only used the facilities regularly in the 60s but a particular previous property owner as well. At least we got Ken Kimes (the developer) out of it but never much further.

Many thanks for responding to my question. I'll keep my eyes out for additional intel and will be sure to report back if I find a definitive answer.

Your tiki pal,
Gretchen aka atomicpear from Sacramento

CA
C

Great pics Al!

[ Edited by: CaseyJPS 2011-06-04 09:47 ]

Raising the Roof of the Tropics.

I stopped by today to check on the progress and here are some photo's.

Tell me this is not strange. I took 3 Photo's at one time and didn't notice the mask in the middle during the photo taking,but it shows in 1 of the 3 pictures. WTF!!!!!! I wasn't even drinking.

But congrats to all the Tiki Fan's for having a piece of history to enjoy in person vs. pictures of the past.

W

can one of you nice computer tiki freaks blow up those pics
Wildsville just posted? :wink:

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 6:17 PM

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-06-05 20:12 ]

Go to my facebook page
rory Snyder

The larger photos are there..

W

On 2011-06-05 13:56, Wildsville man wrote:
Raising the Roof of the Tropics.

I stopped by today to check on the progress and here are some photo's.
. . .
But congrats to all the Tiki Fan's for having a piece of history to enjoy in person vs. pictures of the past.

Excellent news!
Fast turn around, too.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 8:07 PM

Nice job, Kirby.
It looks like that the A-frame is being lifted into place in order to allow new support
base(s) to be built?

Any updates

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jun 26, 2011 9:01 PM

fixed?

Great to see this being saved when so many other places are being torn down. Rory you do a lot to keep Tiki alive in PS...a big thanks to you for your positive influence. :)

The wooden supports in Kirby's excellent photos are gone, so hopefully, it is fixed, although the fence remains in place.

Awesome that they saved the a-frame!!! Maybe we should try ANOTHER event there?! ...maybe
Hopefully they can get that bar going now...

Castaway Clemens here with a Tropics update:

I was just there today and Coreen -- the lovely young desk clerk seated in the relocated lobby -- gave me the skinny on the latest at Caliente.

First of all, she said that she believes someone drove a vehicle into one of the supports which is what caused the collapse. And since I readily admit to not having read all 7 pages of posts yet on this thread, I don't know whether or not that jibes with what others have reported re. the cause of the Caliente crash.

Secondly, she informed me that the lobby has not been TEMPORARILY relocated, but that the lobby will now be PERMANENTLY relocated in what used to be the Caliente's restaurant -- or, rather, in PART of what used to be the restaurant. And she believes the plan is to keep the South Sea Islands motif from the former lobby and relocate a lot of that material to the new, larger space. Meanwhile, what used to be the lobby will now be converted into two luxury guest suites!

Also, they are currently looking for someone to lease the restaurant space and get it going as a functioning eatery again. And, lastly, they are also in the process of renewing their long expired liquor license in hopes of reopening the bar. (I'll definitely drink to THAT!)

So, that's what I was able to learn from the very cheerful and helpful Coreen. But I, of course, did some additional snooping around on my own and here's what I discovered... (Sorry no pictures -- my camera is on the fritz!)

First of all, the A-frame is back in action and the fence has been removed. And a nice restoration it is, overall, as there's no glaring evidence -- at least upon a casual glance -- of what had recently occurred. But there is no longer any tiki mask affixed to the apex of the structure. That mask, split completely down the middle, was sitting upside down inside the former lobby, leaning against what used to be the check-in desk. (I know this 'cause I examined it up close and personal, strongly resisting the overpowering temptation to walk off with a nice souvenir! lol) And some of the decor which used to be in there is gone but much still remains -- i.e. sofa, chairs, tiki fountain, etc. as well as all the lauhala matting and bamboo on the walls and ceiling.

I also noticed a funky smell in the former lobby which I certainly never noticed in that space before. And, trust me, that odor alone would be reason enough to have relocated the lobby to where it is now!

So, that's all I know, really, except that I also took a peek in the former bar and though most of the wall decor items are long gone, the mini A-frame structures remain.

Cheers and Mahalo! :drink: :tiki:

Excellent job!
Your report is painstakingly thorough and, as such, is all the more appreciated.

Good news for a change,Usually stuff like this is torn down! We are coming over in October and always stay here i hope it will be open as usualand they get that long promised bar sorted out.

On 2011-06-29 01:21, TIKIWAGON wrote:
Good news for a change,Usually stuff like this is torn down! We are coming over in October and always stay here i hope it will be open as usualand they get that long promised bar sorted out.

Otherwise, Tucan's Tiki bar may be your destination - do bring your dancing shoes:
http://critiki.com/pictures/?loc_id=133#/0

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies