Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies

N
newB24 posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2011 9:47 AM

On 2011-10-05 15:24, Trader Mitch wrote:
The floor looks fantastic! Like a sandy beach. I'm curious to see how it stands up to traffic and spills so keep us posted.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comment! I concur!!!

Will keep everyone updated on the floor...my sister has had this in her entire basement for several years, after a recoat it looks brand new. You can use shop vac, steam cleaner or carpet cleaner to clean up the floor.

Feels great on the feet, will be curious how the bar and barstools sit on it, definitely not perfectly flat surface but should be good enough to not have rocky chairs!

N
newB24 posted on Thu, Oct 6, 2011 3:04 PM

I took some final install pics for the flooring guys so here are a few better pics with some more light and my better camera.

Well I guess after they get uploaded, the picture quality goes down just a bit, oh well, more pics to look at.

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-10-06 16:35 ]

Rice crispy treats!

I love that kind of floor...looks great!!! Keep up the good work.

N
newB24 posted on Fri, Oct 7, 2011 4:20 AM

Thanks for checking out the build Chuck Tatum is Tiki and VampiressRN, really appreciate the comments! Hope the rest of the build doesn't disappoint. I have some concerns over what has been chosen as the wet bar cabinetry....

After all said and done I'm about $3.66 per squarefoot installed.

Look for more updates on Sunday, going to work some late nights down in the WIKI TIKI with a few cocktails tonight and tomorrow night.

We are either going to

A. work on the wet bar cabinetry
B. hang more bamboo and work on rope lashing the ceiling
C. work on the island bar

P

Hey newB,

I've been following this build all along, and I have to say I'm very inspired and hopeful that I can create an atmosphere like yours when I get to working on my room. Very nice work. Thanks for all the progress shots, and please keep 'em comin'.

Paul

N

On 2011-10-07 09:49, pwest71 wrote:
Hey newB,

I've been following this build all along, and I have to say I'm very inspired and hopeful that I can create an atmosphere like yours when I get to working on my room. Very nice work. Thanks for all the progress shots, and please keep 'em comin'.

Paul

Paul, thanks so much for the kind words, construction has been a lot of fun, I take way too many photos, glad they are doing someone else some good!

Look for some more pictures posted tomorrow....doing some more clean up work and may possible have something else installed!!!!

Jon

N
newB24 posted on Sat, Oct 8, 2011 6:05 PM

OK, I had a buddy ask for some photos and the lighting was pretty good so here is what we did today....

Wow! The whole room is really coming together. I really love the floor! Great job! :)

M

Inspiring work! I love seeing the progress from a blank slate to the beginnings of what may very well become your favorite part of your house. Keep posting and can't wait to see it continue to come together!

MauiHowie

N
newB24 posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2011 4:49 PM

Tigertail777 and MauiHowie....thanks for checking out the build and the super great comments!!!!

Since we moved to Page 8, had to put up some pictures....

Got the bar set and put on the toe kick for the half round bamboo!!!

Loving the floor, I made a huge mess cutting wood and bamboo and the shop vac sucked every last big of it up and out of the crevices (yes I got down with a light...psycho, check)

Put the bar stool in few different spots to check out clearances and rocking, both got the thumbs up from the building inspector....pheeewww

I'm getting closer and closer to structurally complete, cannot wait to get to some decorating and detailing. I think you can drink a lot more when you are not working with power tools!!!!!

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-10-12 04:12 ]

BTW, do you mind me asking where exactly you are in 'Southern Ohio'? I grew up in the Buckeye State (Akron area), but enjoyed four of the most wonderful years of my life in the beautiful Appalachian foothills of Athens while attending Ohio University. 'Southern Ohio' is pretty much anything south of I-70 to me so I was wondering where you might be.

MauiHowie

[ Edited by: MauiHowie 2011-10-10 17:58 ]

N

On 2011-10-10 17:58, MauiHowie wrote:
BTW, do you mind me asking where exactly you are in 'Southern Ohio'? I grew up in the Buckeye State (Akron area), but enjoyed four of the most wonderful years of my life in the beautiful Appalachian foothills of Athens while attending Ohio University. 'Southern Ohio' is pretty much anything south of I-70 to me so I was wondering where you might be.

MauiHowie

[ Edited by: MauiHowie 2011-10-10 17:58 ]

I'm a Dayton Flyer! Go UD. Spent a great FIVE years there and never left!

I should clarify I'm Southwest!

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-10-10 18:10 ]

Dayton, huh? That's great! Perhaps our paths will cross when there's another FesTiki???

N

Sorry total posting and picture abuse, but I can't stand it....IMO...this turned out so much better than I ever expected....I toasted it with a bud light lime (sorry I'm a Budweiser fan)

N
newB24 posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 2:28 PM

Slowly but surely keep putting some new touches on the bar are, so much more to do.....CRIKEY

Not sure I am sold on the lights (the blue under the awning, the white under the bar, the white in the ceiling or the blue in the can lights) yet but it definitely helps with the ambiance. Everything is on a dimmer but my rope lighting sucks, I think I need to invest in some LED and the white lights just look a bit intrusive, I may need to try and make them blend a bit better.

I'll list what I have done later....

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-11-08 14:29 ]

T

Wow, you've come a long way with your home tiki bar, newB24! I really like the bamboo moulding you've applied to the bar itself. On your concern with the white rope lighting, maybe some red fish float lamps would help... tikiskip's in your region and might have something to offer.

-Tom

N
newB24 posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 5:54 PM

On 2011-11-08 17:26, TikiTomD wrote:
Wow, you've come a long way with your home tiki bar, newB24! I really like the bamboo moulding you've applied to the bar itself. On your concern with the white rope lighting, maybe some red fish float lamps would help... tikiskip's in your region and might have something to offer.

-Tom

I'm very honored to have you check in on the build, thanks for the great comments!!! I'm definitely down for some float lamps, just a matter of when adn $$$!!!!!

Really great that the moulding made an impression, it was a big fat pain in the a$$ but it had to be done, the 1/2 round I originally bought didn't work at all, glad I had a few sticks of 4" laying around I could filet open and fit!

Thanks again for the comments!

N
newB24 posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 6:11 PM

So what have I been up to the last month or so....

1. As mentioned above, I put the moulding on the bar, this really sucked but it was worth it in the end, it is a much more finished look. I basically just held the 4" up against the bar and marked the top and bottom. I then took the jigsaw and cut down the lines and then knocked out all the nodes. Made a huge mess and took a lot of finagling to get it to sit flush and square. Unfortunately I did not have much 4" leftover and my one corner doesn't look very good, the one piece of bamboo is much bigger than the other.

1. I got the cabinets white washed and installed the butcher block top. It is eventually going to be a wet bar and I need to install the sink and plumbing.

2. The aforementioned cabinets about ruined my plans for the kegerator, the fridge was a just a bit too short so I had to build a platform for it to sit on so my tap will pour out the side. As you may or may not see, the fridge needs a rehab job, going to get painted and some decorations will be added. I will stain the platform so it might blend in a bit better.

3. Got a puffer fish, it is only 13" and is going to be too small to turn into a light, I guess I need to get another one...d@mn right?!

1. Installed some netting over the one window, put a few crabs and a lobster up in there, I like the look, really adds to the ceiling.

2. Put up the rest of the rope lashing and hid all the screw heads, I used hot glue and it worked really well

3. Installed that lighting, I think it may need to come down, but it does look really good dimmed down....I guess I will give it some time to see.

[ Edited by: newB24 2011-11-08 18:24 ]

That's looking awesome! Great work!

N
newB24 posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 6:30 PM

I'm also currently working on the bar top...

Since my bar top is just bare hickory, it called for it to be sealed first so I put a very light coat down to seal the top.

Before:

After:

Next step is going to be a true flood coat, I'll put about a gallon of product down and it should be around 1/8" thick. I may do that this week yet or maybe this weekend.

N
newB24 posted on Tue, Nov 8, 2011 6:33 PM

On 2011-11-08 18:19, zerostreet wrote:
That's looking awesome! Great work!

Zerostreet, thanks so much for the comments! it is so encouraging to hear!!!!

Made me thirsty...

N
newB24 posted on Wed, Nov 9, 2011 4:15 AM

On 2011-11-08 22:43, hang10tiki wrote:
Made me thirsty...

I do believe the first keg will be something nice and I will guarantee cold!

Thanks for checking in hang10tiki!!!

Upon further review, I need to start thinking about something to hang on the front of the bar, that expansive bamboo is just calling out for a little decoration.....hmmmmmmm

Just read the entire thread, your bar is looking great! We're building an outdoor bar to open next year. We've got our footings and base in. The goal is to build the structure before winter comes to NJ and then build the bar itself in the spring.

I've saved some of your pics for reference. Thanks for the info and for really motivating me! I can't wait for spring. For now I am collecting tiki!

Can't wait to see more... keep the pictures coming!

N

LoriLovesTiki, thanks so much for the great comments. I'm sure I have plaguerized my entire design from someone on these boards so you really have them to thank. If you want to know how I did something, I am willing to share, just ask!

Thanks again.....

Well PAGE 9, guess that means more pics in varying states of light. Will be it for about 8 weeks, having ankle/foot surgery tomorrow :(

T

NewB24, good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery on that surgery. Maybe you can get some navigational assistance down to the basement and enjoy restorative time in the paradise of your creation, the Wiki-Tiki Bar.

-Tom

N

On 2011-11-14 17:40, TikiTomD wrote:
NewB24, good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery on that surgery. Maybe you can get some navigational assistance down to the basement and enjoy restorative time in the paradise of your creation, the Wiki-Tiki Bar.

-Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the well wishes, really appreciate it. Between the bar and my 120" screen, I plan on doing some major recovery down there. Had a soft opening on the bar this weekend and put in a Cozumel reef scene on the big screen and just had ocean sounds songs playing. Was really great!

Jon

Hope you recovery quickly from the surgery. Looking forwards to seeing more of the fine details added to your little paradise. :wink:

N

Tigertail, thanks for the well wishes, I'm home recover, good news is that I might be down to 6 weeks non-weight bearing!

I thought I would upload some photos of my view this morning....nothing like vicodin and some snorkeling!

Q

Forget the Vicodin. You need a couple of Painkillers!! :)

Get well soon.

N

On 2011-11-16 08:54, Q-tiki wrote:
Forget the Vicodin. You need a couple of Painkillers!! :)

Get well soon.

Q-Tiki...thanks for the well wishes. No doubt on the painkillers, could go for something tropical about now!

N

So here I am 4 months after I put the first touch of paint on the soffit and I am just about structurally complete on the construction (well at least I got everything bought to put in and since I am laid up, nothing will happen for a while).

First and foremost, thanks to everyone who checked in on the build and really big thanks to anyone who contributed and answered my questions or gave me advice! I obviously took a lot of my inspiration from other home builds and some professional builds and really appreciate people posting their projects!

I can't even tell you how many hours were spent researching, looking, buying, actually working, reworking etc but I can tell you how much money I have spent to date!

The biggest expense by far was all of the bamboo, thatch and stuff I had shipped in from California, the second was the flooring and the third was the wet bar. so without further ado....

Bamboo and thatch of all sorts $1,500
Flooring: $660
Cabinets (bases, top, stain, trim, faucet, sink) $450
Custom Bar (frame, flooring, stain,shelves, electric, trench) $375
Screws, nails, staples, glue: $100
Paint/stain: $30
Mural: $100
Rope: $150
Misc. Lights, Decorations: $150 (this number will triple once I get into the LED that I want)
Fridge: already had but painted $20 and base was made with material left over.
Bar Stools: already had but will have to replace so $125 each so $375

GRAND TOTAL: $3,760 for approximately 180 square foot of space or $21 per square foot.

I'm not sure what to think about the numbers, probably more than I anticipated but in the long run, worth every penny, sweat bead, blood and tear put into it.

I have a bundle of bamboo leftover that I plan on turning into some art work and look forward to adding to the bar as we go!

N

Well I've been toying around with some LED lighting and found some great stuff, I did a test install in the awning.

This stuff rocks, it is brighter than bright (plus it has a built in dimmer) and is multi-colored (different shades of White, Red, Blue, Green) and can be programmed to fade, dance, flash or whatever.

BRIGHT WHITE

BRIGHT BLUE

View from outside, with all other lights off

Celebratory Cocktail the next day!

It cost about $40 for 16 lineal feet, comes with transformer and remote control. I also just ordered a roll of the water proof LED at $50 for 16 lineal feet. That is going to go under the bar and shine down.

From the reviews and other users, on this size transformer you could run around 32 lineal feet, just need a connector piece to join them, I'm debating taking down other lights and mounting the LED on top of my bamboo ceiling grid. the possibilities are about endless with color schemes and such. Just not sure if 32 lineal feet will do the job.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! I'm off my crutches and still healing but at least I am mobile!

Jon

The new LED light kits do rock indeed!

N

On 2011-12-27 12:18, newB24 wrote:

UGH, just looking at that bar top makes me ill! Anyway, I've done 2 seal coats with massive amounts of polyurethane and latex caulk to fill in voids, gaps, oil, knots, whatever this d@mnable epoxy coating does not like sticking to.

In retrospect, I would never have put down a hardwood flooring for my bar top knowing what I would go through with this epoxy. The bar top was installed with a pneumatic nail gun, all I can say is that the oil from the gun was getting blown around on top of the wood and soaked in because I sanded that entire top like crazy and I still have spots where this epoxy is just being REPELLED away in perfect little circles.

I will say that the places where this stuff is working, looks immaculate, truly going to be spectacular but any imperfection sticks out like a sore thumb and a few makes the whole thing look like a train wreck!

With all that being said, I think I have it about as good as I can get it, I'm going to flood coat the top when I can get an extra pair of hands available for about an hour and help me pour and watch for bubbles!

I'm hoping for the best but I wish I would have just put down something that I could clean and insure it was free from oils and such!

W

That's a really nice table you put together, but if you're going to put a beer on it you need something that goes with the theme, like a Hawaiian microbrew or the beer na beer- San Miguel.

N

On 2011-12-28 02:29, Wayfarer wrote:
That's a really nice table you put together, but if you're going to put a beer on it you need something that goes with the theme, like a Hawaiian microbrew or the beer na beer- San Miguel.

Hey Wayfarer, thanks for checking in on the build! I know, I know! I'll have to head down to party source in covington to pick up a nice assortment!

The bar is one of my favorite things so far, it has been a lot of fun to build, looking forward to finishing the interior this winter!

N

I got the waterproof LED light kit in, good and bad, the LED's are definitely in a waterproof case (definitely noted for my water feature) but the controls and transformer are not so this would not do well in an outdoor application. Regardless, I still love them and I think they worked out really well!

This photo was taken during the day and look at how much light I can throw down on the floor and bamboo! But the lights have a dimmer so I can create any amount of ambiance I want!

I'm now on the hunt to hang something on the front of the bar, just looks like it needs something.....

[ Edited by: newb24 2011-12-31 19:11 ]

You need one of Doug Hornes masks.

On 2011-12-31 23:01, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
You need one of Doug Hornes masks.

Oh hell yeah, ANYTHING of Hornes is awesome.

Dayton used to have some killer tiki-themed places, including Georgie Rudin's The Tropics and the Kon Tiki Theater. We even had a very short-lived tiki bar in the Oregon District, but it didn't make it either.
We do have DaddyKatz though!

Hope to see you around.

[ Edited by: the75stingray 2012-01-04 18:47 ]

Jon, any new updates on your bar?

N

I didn't even follow my own rule, new page new photos!

Thanks for keeping me on my toes Chuck!

Well, I'm somewhat mobile after surgery, have not really done much except tedious type work, but it is fun none the less.

I put some shelves in the bar, but those pictures will not be posted till I get it cleaned up.

N

I tried to take some ambiance shots, didn't turn out too great, these shots are a TON brighter than real life.....

I need at least 2 float lamps and some other things.

N

Just thought I would stop in and post a pic.

I favor the blue, but the red just seemed to do the trick.

Bar is up and functional, I'm working on some small stuff to go around, I've antiqued a map that I found, just trying to figure out how to 'frame' it.

came across 8 barstools and a pub table for 100 bucks, now I just need to figure out how to tiki-fy them a bit.

[ Edited by: newB24 2012-05-21 08:17 ]

I know I'm late to the party but just had to say I'm in love with your floor. So. Pebbly...

N

On 2012-05-21 09:22, markmywords wrote:
I know I'm late to the party but just had to say I'm in love with your floor. So. Pebbly...

I am as well! in love with the floor that is. it is quite expensive though, I think doing it DIY is possible but you need to have access to the materials. anyone thinking about it, send me a PM and I can go over costs, level of difficulty etc.

I'll post up a few more pictures, got the shevling and lighting in the custom built bar complete, top is fully epoxied in. I'll show a photo of the map I want to hang and I drafted up the plans for the shelving unit, now to find a nice tapa cloth for the background, bar is in desperate need of color!

That is a incredibly cool bar and room wow love it

Pages: 1 2 3 4 147 replies