Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar & Tangaroa Terrace, Anaheim, CA (bar)

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies

Yea, it is basically the same recipe as a Painkiller with a different rum
than Pussers, I will ask Kelly next time I see him, what rum is subbed at Sams.

It's Coconut Cream, Pineapple juice, Orange Juice, Rum & nutmeg

2 oz Pusser’s Rum (or sub Kraken Spiced Rum)
4 oz Pineapple juice
1 oz Orange juice
1 oz Cream of coconut

Mix in a shaker with ice, pour into a tall collins glass filled with crushed ice (or Tiki mug)
dust with nutmeg.

An interesting and detailed history of the Painkiller appears here:

http://pussersrum.com/rum-cocktails/the-pussers-painkiller/

It's a good read.

K

At Sam's they use Pyrat XO rum. Prior to obtaining El Dorado 5/8 and LH151, they've used Pyrat XO for anything Navy or Demerara.

Shipwreck on the Rocks Recipe - Trader Sam's

• 10 Mint Leaves
  • 1 Fresh Lemon Wheel
  • 1 oz Monin Agave Organic Nectar
  • 2 oz Makers Mark Bourbon Whisky

In the bottom of a Boston Shaker, muddle mint leaves, lemon, and agave. Fill shaker with crushed ice, pour Makers Mark over ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into double old fashioned glass filled with ice. Add straw and garnish.

K

Seems a bit heavy on the mint and agave. I'd adjust to

Mint Leaves - 4
Lemon quarters - 4 (so 1/2 lemon)
Organic Agave Nectar - .5 oz
Bourbon - 2 oz

This is what I've been told by one of the vet skippers and what I've observed.

On 2014-09-15 13:18, kkocka wrote:
Seems a bit heavy on the mint and agave. I'd adjust to

Mint Leaves - 4
Lemon quarters - 4 (so 1/2 lemon)
Organic Agave Nectar - .5 oz
Bourbon - 2 oz

This is what I've been told by one of the vet skippers and what I've observed.

Hey Guys, I'm new to all this. Over the last couple of years I've been going to trader Sam's and have fallen in love with it. Lately I've been trying to learn to make some of the drinks, I tried the shipwreck last night with no luck. Maybe you guys can give me some tips, I'm trying to get down some of their signature drink recipes to enjoy at home. I've nailed the tiki rum and I'm doing ok on the hippopota-mai tai. The shipwreck I made was terrible though lol.

Ladies and gentlemen...

I think we finally have the recipe for the Krakatoa Punch.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2014/09/26/disney-mixology-school-krakatoa-punch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheDisneyBlog+(The+Disney+Blog)

Article by The Disney Blog, but the video is from Disney themselves! AWESOME.

On 2014-09-26 11:32, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen...

I think we finally have the recipe for the Krakatoa Punch.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2014/09/26/disney-mixology-school-krakatoa-punch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheDisneyBlog+(The+Disney+Blog)

Article by The Disney Blog, but the video is from Disney themselves! AWESOME.

Amazing! Thank you for this! Now to find out the exact recipe for gorilla grog!

K

I'd suggest using 3oz of POG juice as a substitute for Gorilla Grog - tastes roughly the same and works out quite well!

Jungle Chris, welcome to TC!

Drink mixing, just like cooking is very dependent on both ingredients and technique. If you want the exact same tasting drink, you have to use the exact same ingredients, and process to create it. Otherwise it will never be quite right. You can substitute anything you'd like, for any of the components, but then you're not going to have "the drink." POG is not Gorilla Grog, Agave Organic Nectar is not Monin Agave Organic Nectar, and bourbon is not Makers Mark. Looks like Pyrat and Seven Tiki for the rums, kkocka do you know for sure?

[ Edited by: Loki-Tiki 2014-09-26 13:59 ]

K

On 2014-09-26 13:53, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Looks like Pyrat and Seven Tiki for the rums, kkocka do you know for sure?

Yeah they use Pyrat XO and Seven Tiki - obviously you can use what you want, but the video mentions "dark" when of course that's not what is used. While I don't know the portions, according to the menus and other websites etc Gorilla Grog = POG + lemon juice + falernum + pineapple juice. That's why I basically just use POG and maybe throw in a dash of the others because I can't imagine they're too present in a single drink.

EDIT: And for the record, I've fooled myself quite well w/the provided recipe!

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2014-09-26 16:29 ]

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! I made a pretty good version of the Krakatoa yesterday. I have most of the ingredients, I got all the different juices, falernum, coconut milk, different types of rum, some decent rum, organic agave syrup and ogeat syrup to keep to try stuff out. So far I feel like I'm pretty good on Tiki Rum and Krakatoa, I did decent on the Mai Tai but the Ship Wreck was well.... A ship wreck. I feel like when I get it at trader sams it has much more liquid then just mint, lemon, bourbon, and agave syrup. Am I missing something?

Also I'll be going to the 6:00 show on Monday if anyone is going to be there for the Mahalloween event, I'm super excited!

Keith,good to know about subbing the POG for Gorilla Grog. Gonna experiment with this tomorrow.
Jungle Chris, my girl and I are there Monday at 6, too. We'll have to exchange a TC "aloha" if we bump into each other.

Ok, maybe we'll see you at the next Don's?
Ryan

Hopefully I see you there Finky.

So it's been bugging me, so I went to sams Saturday night and ordered a shipwreck and there certainly is something else in it, club soda maybe? I guess I can ask the bartender tonight. I'm super excited!

K

On 2014-09-29 08:26, Jungle Chris wrote:
So it's been bugging me, so I went to sams Saturday night and ordered a shipwreck and there certainly is something else in it, club soda maybe? I guess I can ask the bartender tonight. I'm super excited!

Nope - what I posted is it. Either your taster is off or you got a messed up drink, which depending on the bartender (lots of newbies hired lately) could be a possibility. Shipwreck's just a revised Whiskey Smash.

T

I was Trader Sam's Sunday night and Michael was working. He used to be a bartender/manager at the old Don the Beachcomber. He makes four drinks not on the menu, but they are in my opinion, better than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu. He makes a Navy Grog, Lapu Lapu, Island Wolfhound, and a King Kamehameha Mai Tai. I'm thinking the Mai Tai is a pared down version of the Don's Mai Tai recipe.

I liked the Island Wolfhound the best, but all were excellent. He mentioned they are stronger than any of the drinks on the Sam's menu, but the alcohol is well hidden. He was right - I was buzzing for hours and had a small hangover to deal with the next morning.

Went back that night to have one last drink and Michael wasn't working. So I had a Shrunken Zombie Head and it tasted so unsophisticated compared to the previous night's drinks. Reinforced the fact that I've been ruined forever by well crafted cocktails!

"But why is the rum gone?!" -Capt. Jack Sparrow

[ Edited by: TikiHula 2014-10-22 15:24 ]

K

Ah, so my assumption for the Shipwreck on the Rocks was pretty spot on - just had an extra mint leaf, but I'll continue making them as I have been! The latest video straight from Disney Insider on their cocktails:

http://youtu.be/N1zpaj0v2oQ

Mahalo KK

That's four mint leaves?:

Looks closer to a dozen to me, or does a group of leaves count as one?

K

They use 4, can't blame Cristian for using tongs for mint leaves and the lemon, haha. Can you imagine the time added to all drinks if they tonged everything? That's corporate video for you. :wink: It also looks like I was correct after all in that it is 4 and not 3; I said 3 based off the video description in the box below.

Anyway, its just a Whiskey Smash so nothing new here!

T

^^^ That's perfect. hahahha.

Also, making ALL the Shipwrecks tonight....

F

Anyone know if Sam's is serving their holiday drinks yet?

Everyday is a holiday at Trader Sams!

Finky, they did just send out a recipe for their holiday drink on Instagram today so I would assume that they are.

Oops, pulled a GROG!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2014-11-26 18:40 ]

J

Yep, they've had the holiday drinks on the menu for a week or two now.

Awesome, thx all!
:drink:

Spotted yesterday at the Disneyland Hotel gift shop:

F

On 2015-12-12 08:53, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Spotted yesterday at the Disneyland Hotel gift shop:

Thanks for the heads-up! I have been wanting one of these almost as much as a T-shirt specific to Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar (whenever Disney finally gets around to it). I may pick one up tonight :D
Cheers!
:drink:

Sam's has 3 seasonal drinks on the menu right now--if you haven't gotten there yet this season do so soon--

This is a "Red nosed zebra" and it takes like a not-so-sweet strawberry daiquiri (does that even make sense??)

and my favorite the "Tropical snowstorm". When you order this it snows outside the "windows"

There is a 3rd drink called the Jingle Bells which is pretty good too but I was too tipsy to remember to take a pic :)

[ Edited by: Thrift Tiki 2015-12-17 14:12 ]

Does anyone happen to the the Trader Sam's music list for Christmas, or even the regular one for that matter?

K

I'll send you a PM, Loki :)

KG

Just saw something about this yesterday. I'm taking the plunge and "pre-ordering" a mug through someone on ebay. They're supposed to go purchase some and then ship them out once they're released. We'll see how that plays out. I imagine there'll be a huge demand for these, especially if they stay exclusive only to the west coast.

K

People were lined up before 8am and the mug has sold out as of this evening. I'm certain there will be more shipments coming in.

From MousePlanet.com

"...Disney has filed a permit to expand the "Tangaroa Terrace – Tiki Bar," otherwise known as Trader Sam's. The permit appears to add a new bar indoors, but move some storage and a walk-in refrigerator to the basement level, to the space that was formerly a wine cellar. It's unclear whether this would provide additional seating or dining space for the already cramped bar.

..In other Tiki news, Dole Whips are finally available for Disneyland visitors outside of Adventureland. The Coffee House at the Disneyland Hotel, possibly in a move to lure customers now that a second Starbucks has opened in Downtown Disney, now serves Dole Whip soft-serve and Dole Whip floats, just like you can find outside the Enchanted Tiki Room. For those so inclined, you can also order your Dole Whip with a splash of rum, an option not available inside Disneyland."

MousePlanet Dec 12,2016

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2016-12-12 14:22 ]

K

Ehhhh...really hoping they leave Sam's as-is. I'd hate to see it torn up to any degree. Even if it were truly expanded, I'm not sure if it would help vastly in accommodating larger crowds. Thanks for the share!

I agree with Keith. I'm sure Disney see nothing but $$$ based on the popularity of Sam's, though.

MAYBE -and I'm just shamelessly fanwanking here- they could convert the Tangaroa Terrace side into a smaller version of WDW's Skipper Cantina. It could serve a similar purpose to be capitalized upon like expanding Sam's, but maintain a separate space.

Dedicated Sam's aficionados want to be in Sam's but a cantina next door could service overflow and others who want drinks and light food, but don't necessarily have the specific desire that it has to be within Sam's.

On 2016-12-14 12:54, finky099 wrote:
I agree with Keith. I'm sure Disney see nothing but $$$ based on the popularity of Sam's, though.

MAYBE -and I'm just shamelessly fanwanking here- they could convert the Tangaroa Terrace side into a smaller version of WDW's Skipper Cantina. It could serve a similar purpose to be capitalized upon like expanding Sam's, but maintain a separate space.

Dedicated Sam's aficionados want to be in Sam's but a cantina next door could service overflow and others who want drinks and light food, but don't necessarily have the specific desire that it has to be within Sam's.

Hi Finky, the place you're mentioning is the Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen, not Cantina. It is a sit-down table service restaurant in the Magic Kingdom, and being where it is, there is no alcohol served. I'm with KK, leave Sam's and Tangaroa Terrace, add more wonderfully themed locations in Downtown Disney along the lines of Jock Lindsey's. There really are no alternatives, so of course Sam's is packed.

K

An update on the permit and construction:

After speaking with some cast members at both Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's, the construction will be to improve the available service outside on the patio. This, to me, is very much needed and will be hugely welcome! Tangaroa Terrace is losing space on the inside - pretty much the space currently occupied by the out of commission touch screens for ordering. Even though Tangaroa Terrace doesn't make money (not compared to Sam's) it is still a much needed service for hotel guests. I'm glad I'm not losing my loco moco because it's my favorite thing to eat at the resort.

As far as Sam's is concerned, they're getting roughly 3 wells outside which will mean MUCH improved drink service and reducing the wait time for drinks outside and likely the pool. There is also a plan to have a limited seating outdoor bar, akin to the terrace at Grog Grotto in Florida. This will be taking the mentioend space from Tangaroa Terrace and potentially have 6-8 bar seats. Grog Grotto's terrace was supposed to have seats at their bar but they've yet to have been added and I doubt that they ever will be. Either way, seats or not, the added bar outdoors will redefine my consideration of drinking outside on a nice evening.

Thanks for the update Keith.

(whew)

kevin

From MiceChat.com 9/11/2018

"...Tangaroa Terrace is closed for a major transformation. When the restaurant reopens early next year (it could be as early as January), it will be a family lounge. The entire patio area will allow alcohol (the patio is currently divided by stanchions which separate the Trader Sams (bar) side from the restaurant side), and a new bar service station will be added to the patio so guests don’t have to go inside to get a drink....On a positive note, Dole Whip will be served in this location when it returns. They are also planning to offer an alcoholic version."

MiceChat: Disneyland Update

From MiceAge.com

"Work continues on Tangaroa Terrace as it becomes bar-ified."

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2019 3:57 PM

Tangaroa Terrace has reopened, and MiceChat has a few pictures.

https://www.micechat.com/216921-disneyland-resort-valentine-day-update-tangaroa-terrace-reopens-as-a-bar/

I look forward to visiting in April. I've been to Disneyland twice, but never made it further than Trader Sam's....

K

New menu items are refreshing, though I'm sure they'll be tinkered with in due time. Tangaroa Cooler was known, off menu, as the Island Wolfhound. I successfully reverse-engineered it a few years back and shared it on this site (check Drinks & Food). The Sea Monster's Embrace is simply a Bali Bali, with the 4 oz split between 2 people rather than 1 hefty individual drink.

Trader Sam's on Mouseplanet.com

MousePlanet: In the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Bar

Brandon Kleyla was the Walt Disney Imagineer responsible for set dressing, writing, and giving life to Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. Here is an interview

MousePlanet:Tales of Trader Sam: Brandon Kleyla Interview

Pages: 1 2 3 99 replies