Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: New recipe - name?

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

Was mixed up last night by Erik at the Zig Zag Cafe, Seattle. I trust Erik with tiki stuff - though they don't have any of those types on the menu, he has made me classic polynesian stuff (and made it right) without looking up recipes. I was wanting something with the rum-falernum-lime combo, and I asked him to put something together that was really deep and complex. At first, he said it was a take-off on the Zombie format, but it came out differently. And it has loads of depth and complexity, with the sweet-spicy-tart falernum flavor coming up but not overpowering. It does require one oddball ingredient: a hibiscus syrup or liqueur, which Zig Zag makes themselves. I'm told other similar products are available or can be made at home, and that adds another little layer to this. Here it is:

1 1/2oz. light rum (he used Cruzan)
3/4oz. amber rum (he used Appleton Special)
3/4oz. falernum (Zig Zag makes their own falernum, too)
1/2oz. Green Chartreuse
1/2oz. fresh lime juice
1/4oz. hibiscus liqueur/syrup
Shake with ice, add a few dashes Angostura, serve in a Zombie glass with loads of crushed ice and big lemon twist.

It comes out a lovely red-pink, and smells flowery. Erik had no name in mind, so I called it a Zombie's Dream. If anyone else tries this, feel free to suggest a name. I call it worthy of inclusion on a menu somewhere.

Dammit! Second thread with chartreuse as an ingredient. None in the cupboard.

Anyhow, how'd the chartreuse and falernum get along? Seems like a bit too much flavor wise. Especially if you're trying to show off the hibiscus. It does sound good...just curious. The name should be swizzle based IMHO. Zombie seems more of a misnomer due to different juices/spices.

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2011-07-31 19:31 ]

T

The falernum and Chartreuse are great. The drink is very tart - it's hard for me to describe, having a tiny bit of synesthesia, but it tasted like the bright pink-amber color it was. It had many, many layers, but these didn't change as I went - I got depth in every sip. The hibiscus is just a whisper, and that's all it had to be; Zig Zag makes their own, and I managed to get ten ounces of it from them, though they don't sell it (shhhh) for making my own.

No one ingredient in this drink shines, stands forward or becomes a star - yet none fully take a back seat. They're all in there, and I picked up hints of all in addition to a smooth whole.

Anyone try this, give me a name please. I like the idea of "_____ Swizzle". I called it Zombie's Dream because, as Erik was just starting the mix, someone else asked what he was making and he said, "It's a variant on a Zombie". Mind, this wasn't a recipe idea he'd had - he was adding a bit of this and a bit of that which he thought would approximate what I asked for (tiki-style, lime rum falernum but loads of complexity) which was then shaken, tasted, then adjusted slightly, shaken again, then the bitters added - and even at the end he considered adding mint, but switched to an orange twist. This was a master tender exploring the avenues of his built-in drink creator program.

What recipe are they using for the falernum?

T

I don't know, but I doubt they'd tell me if I asked - I'm not certain that they make their own, they may use Fee's - I was once introduced to the owner of Fee's there, and I know they use many Fee's bitters (but then, Zig Zag carries innumerable bitters, you name it, they probably have it, plus some homemade ones). They make a few things, some (but not all) of which they can't easily buy, specifically pimento dram, Swedish Punsch, hibiscus liqueur, and habanero tequila and vodka, but I'm not certain they make their falernum. Whatever it is, it's wonderful, I've tasted it straight.

Either way, I'm going back down there tonight, and I'll ask. Gonna order another of this same drink; every time they serve me something I really love, be it classic or invented, I have the tender write it down. Got a stack of cardboard coasters with recipes on 'em now; the stack in front of me has the Fogcutter, Vicious Virgin, Royal Bermuda Yacht Club (incredible early Vic drink), Coin Toss, Theresa No. 2, Yokohama Romance, and stuff invented on-demand including the Honey Badger, Left Hand Right Hand, and others that still need names.

T

Yes, Zig Zag makes their own falernum. no, they won't share the recipe.

Had another of these last night. It's a deep red-pink at the top, fading to burgundy at the bottom, and the hibiscus is the only flavor that tells above the rest. It's tart, but not too, the Chartreuse adds depth without showing itself openly, and similarly the falernum doesn't jump out.

I've got to try the hibiscus in other stuff; I've got about ten ounces of it here in a bottle, and hopefully it'll keep for a while. I'm sure I can get creative; I gotta buy me a small glass bottle with an eye dropper for it.

I think maybe we mad science types need to stay away from adapting existing names. It smacks of the fill-in-the-blank-'tini craze that rears up every now and again (apple-tini, mango-tini, lighter fluid-tini). It sounds like your leading flavors are tart and floral; perhaps something pointing up those notes would set your beverage apart: Hibiscus Swizzle? Hawaiian or Latin Name for Hibiscus plus Swizzle?

[ Edited by: Professor G 2011-09-08 20:19 ]

Hibiscus? How about the Scent of a Woman Swizzle? :wink: Or, Saucy Tart Swizzle?
Also, Zig Zag Zombie, or Zombina.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-09-09 19:38 ]

how about a "Hibiscus"

or a "Honolulu Swizzle"

Pages: 1 8 replies