Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Post-Oasis 2002 Roundup

Pages: 1 2 80 replies

Post your impressions here, kiddies!

This event was even nuttier than last year. I especially remember that moment when things really kicked into gear during the Dive-In movie, an episode of "Hawaiian Eye". During what would be the first commercial break in the show, there was a movie trailer promoting a film starring one of the show's stars. The film had a horror theme and the effects were so cheesy (superimposed "skeletons" that looked like plastic toys on fishing line) that the place just erupted with laughter and hoots. From then on, it was like a "Rocky Horror" audience with people hollering out wisecracks and just busting out laughing.

When the show ended, every inflatable item in the pool was launched airborne for like a half an hour, with people batting around beach balls, rafts etc. and shouts of "Hawaiian Eye!". It was pretty funny. Then management closed the pool at midnight.

About 25 - 30 of us were still feeling rambunctious so we gathered in Alnshely's room. A party with these consumate hosts would have been fun enough, but luckily Iuka Grogg and Mateo brought along their ukes; a drunken sing-along ensued that was quite memorable indeed. We sang many a hapa haole classic.

King Kukulele soon joined us and the and eventually the repertoire extended beyond tiki, meandering into the ridiculous. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. As one participant put it, "Songs about diahrrea are great, but when you start singing "Mandy", THATS where I draw the line!"

Apparently the front office was very unhappy about an spontaneous, after-hours, bathing suit-optional, unauthorized swim session that some of our rowdy number enjoyed. As a result, I was told by Management that Caliente may not hold the event next year because they could have gotten in trouble (he said there's some kind of ordinance that requires a lifeguard after 11 P.M.) Who knew!

Naughty, BAD tiki people!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-06-24 08:49 ]

WHAT A BLAST! The Tiki Central room singalong was the funnest experience I had in a long time. And skinnydipping afterwards was worth it. It's all b.s. that it endangered the next year's event:
Otto and I met with Casey afterwards to talk about what we learned, and here's the good news: Otto will be in charge of event organization next year, so no restriction on day passes and attendance from other motel guests! We are planning to move next year's Tiki Oasis up to May, to avoid the heat (which will place it in season and make it a slightly higher rate, unfortunately). But that way the overflow can go to the nearby L'Horizon Hotel, a neat midcentury modern bungalow hotel which was already closed this time for off-season. Vendors will be able to already set up on Friday, to allow people to browse, and the bar situation will also be improved.
I hope everybody had as great a time as I did and it will keep getting better each year!

Wow what a great weekend! Saw some old friends and made some new ones. Even Friday night was a fun start with dancing and hula-hooping to Lushy's music. And the surprise 1940's stag film (as a projector test) after the band finished. The bands were top notch. Sven's slide show was entertaining yet informative, as usual. The Hawaiian Eye episode was pure camp! And maybe best of all was the after-hours sing-a-long party: A small suite room crammed with hot sweaty people drinking, dancing and singing at the tops of their lungs. Echoes of the party scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's only without the formal wear and done as a sing-a-long. That mid-day heat was pretty harsh, but those warm nights were just delicious. Many kudos to Otto & Co. for their many efforts to keep everyone happy and make sure all had a good time.

One additional note: We stayed in the "overflow" Terrazzo Inn (a real peaceful & tiny resort) down the street and received 4-star treatment there. Kind of a nice contrast to the crazy vibe that the Caliente had going. It was also nice to have a bit of calm in between with the ensuing hangovers AND their pool is available 24 hours a day. This place is available to rent out all of it's 12 rooms for private parties.

OH my god, how can you have more fun and be treated so nice. We met so many new friends. Talked with all the people we did not talk to at the Madonna. This NEEDS to happen twice a year, I think it would fill easy. Fri. was so mello, Sat. a total gas. If you missed it you got to make the effort next time. Thank you to, Shag, Piet, Nason, Sven, Crazy Al, Otto/Vander/Baby Doe, King Kukulele
All the members of Lushy, Bosko, CC. and Ann Rider, Vicky, Wes, Allen, Shellie, Hugh,
Sue Li, Emily, Pete, Charles, Marsha Marsha Marsha, Bruce and Bruce, Judd, Dawn, Angelo, Sharron, Mateo, AND Charles and Casey and the crew from Caliente Tropics, the best restored, best run, most fun hotel I have ever been to. If I missed anybody's name you know who you are and we love ya baby.

PS.If you need a life guard or anything special to help run things, just put it to the Tiki Freaks out here and there is NUTHIN' we can't pull together. bye bye

I am glad that Casey wasn't as ticked with us as Charlie was!

Your slideshow was informative and funny. My non-tiki companions were filled with wonder, impressed by the amount of research that must have gone into it. I told them you are a Virgo and can't help it.

The music was great! The He'e Amakuas were such fun - whadda ham that Grogg is. Lushy was smooth. I especially liked that song where the guy started playing "Bali Hai" on his flute.

Hats off to Kukulele. I credit (and thank) him for making the sing-along as insane as it was. I had underestimated him when I saw his show at the pool, I think because he was so far away and the audience was on the other side of the pool. I think he really shined when he was close to his audience and could ...instigate. That word comes to mind. The wall to wall drunken participants were as necessary to the vibe and I thank them too. Geez, if I'd have known that you were skinnydipping, It would have been worth it to scale that fence after all :wink:

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-06-24 08:13 ]

WOW! I feel like I got ran over by a 20' tiki!!!

Man, you's really now how to have a good time!!! Mrs. Bamboo and I would like to thank "everyone" (my memory is wacked) for such a great time and making us feel like "family". We're trying to put together the "Grand Opening" we never had in Aug. and hope to see all of you's there. Room # 135 will be logged into history!! I'm still in awe! Mahalo's again to "All"!

TBC

Did anyone C that crazy guy (no,not that Crazy guy!)with the chainsaw & wearing thong(s)? Oh ,wait that waz Me!
-=CC=-
()))):

I overheard that other Crazy guy saying, "Notice the thongs?? Good for the grip!" Is it true that if you loose a toe it will off balance you?
Ma-jah-lo
Benboo Bam...

Maybe we are having server problems today - a couple of my posts didn't go through. Here goes again. Hopefully they won't pop up later today, then it will be "Department of Redundancy Department" time.

I have to give special props to our sing-along's fabulous bongo player, Cary Stratton. He was just right.

Bamboo Ben, it was an honor to meet you; I am glad you and Mrs. Bamboo were able to make it to the Oasis. I wanna go to your opening party.

Caliente is such a nice place to stay. The rooms are meticulously maintained and the service is excellent. All new and tikis too!
I do think that Ulla from the front desk was a bit like Nurse Ratchet, though. Man, it's a lot of work to get a smile out of her.

It was cool to meet other TCers, Mig, Frenchy, Martiki6, Mrsmiley to name a few. We had Mr. Grogg announce that members of our faction would meet (by a tiki of course) for a photo. Not all of us made it out there, but we appeared to be a relatively small group. I'm looking at this crowded pool and wondering like Butch Cassidy, "Who ARE those guys?" I know that there were four groups represented at the sing-along: Palm Springs Modern Committee, LA Conservancy ModCom, Tiki News and Tiki Central. There are probably going to be some new members here from the Oasis. I hope Uncle Artie and his friend who was next door to me in Room 147 joins. They were a scream! Artie: "Just TRY to knock that tiki off his shoulder! Wait, you'd better not...you don't want ANY of THAT, trust me!"

The appeal for me is shifting from the tikis (gasp) to the people that attend - getting together with this great group of whacked-out friends.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-06-25 14:43 ]

It was fun to finally meet all of you in person that I have been talking via e-mail for years.Also made lots of new friends.Everyone was really nice and I had a great time.CC's carving went well considering the heat.His assistant wasn't up to helping,but sure looked cute in her hula skirt!He did a great job and I was a proud wife.Just call me Mrs.CC!The He'e Amakuas were great and my daughter and I had fun hula dancing to their songs in the pool.I missed Lushy :( ,but did meet one of the band members(nice guy). Sven's slide show was entertaining and interesting and loved the cheesy Hawaiian Eye episode.
Saturday night our daughter couldn't sleep so we took a walk only to find a group of people watching 8mm films in their room.We saw The Wild Ones and a western starring Dean Martin,Jimmy Stewart and Raquel Welch.Everyone was very hospitable and nice.We cruised on out again and heard bongo drums and ukes playing with a lot of singing coming out of a room labeled Tiki Central OPen 24 hours!We were greeted with a birthday cake song by a group of happy people who were having a great time.The music was great and we sang a few songs before Crazy Al suggested to scale the pool wall and sneak in.So we decided to be sheep and follow our leader!Scaling the wall and jumping in the pool felt great.I didn't see any boobies or weinies though,so I don't know about the skinny dipping rumor.The lady from house-keeping came and threatened to call the cops so everyone courtesly left the pool.We got scolded for bringing our daughter in there with all you heathens!So we went back to our room and while our daughter bounced off the walls I finally got her sleep at 3 am.In the morning I luckily got to sleep in and then was greeted by a funny King Kukulele show poolside.I don't know he can play that uke so fast,but I guess that's why he's called the king!

I have been editing my posts like crazy and just realized that some of you folks who get the posts emailed to you might be unfortunately, receiving each one. If this is the case, I apologize. I was just nipping and tucking away and since I don't get the posts by email myself was only thinking about the appearance on the webpage. Sorry!

P.S.-Sorry to all of you that my brother hit on!

Next time we will have to be more organized about the group picture. I would love to meet more of you than I did. Maybe a scream on the mic. over the loud speaker would help. I would be more than happy to do so. I was running around with a Shag sticker tatoo on my left arm. But I did have a blast with the people I did meet. Maybe we can meet at the pup crawl. Keep me posted.

Hey Anne, yes, I too was a victim to yer bro, but that just made the event all the more unforgettable. What can i say? you and cc were very nice, as were all the attendants and tiki nuts. I took my wife along to prove that I am not the only one afflicted with this tiki virus. I was glad to meet all of the carvers that have influenced my tiki carving. Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben were also great people. I need more events like this to obsess over.

M

Rebecca and I had a fantastic time. It was great to see everyone and to meet new folks who have also lost their minds. We had to buy a new suitcase for the trip home. It was like a shopping spree, and it's all mine! Mine! Well...at least until the good people at Visa come a knockin'

Once again, a thousand and one thanks to Otto and Sven. I know how it is to do event planning- mostly thankless. But I think this group understands and really appreciates it. And thanks to all the dealers who came out to show their wares....

A pleasure to meet the BigBro (and his "Little Bro"! :)), Frenchy, Floratina, AlnShely, Mateo, CC, V3, The Beachbum, and the King himself, who is damn funny. Sending mad props your way, as well as everyone I've forgotten.

Must also give a shout out to Mig, Judd, Bruce, Doe and Crazy Al- good to see y'all again. Much love.

One Three Five is most definitely in the hizouse.

OK, I'm slipping here and this has turned into a yearbook page, so I'll stop. Can't wait 'til the next one.

-martin

M

Whoops! Also forgot to thank Tiki Bob for the CD - good to meet you and thanks.

I was also hoping to see the jab again, but I missed him, so until the next Bay Area event.

And Hanford, you were missed by many.

-martin

T

I couldn't make it either but I'm looking forward to the next one. I had a few tropical drinks this weekend in honor of everyone who was there.

I discovered how good drinks are with fresh squeezed pineapple juice. Pineapple from Hawaii is down to $2 each at the flea market. I just put chunks through my juice squeezer. Mmmm!

Did Beachbum Berry's new book "Intoxica" make it to the Oasis shindig?

Well, in spite of being a little under the weather, I still had a great time at the Oasis! Friendly people, great entertainment, fun shopping!

I would have interacted with the group more, if I had felt better. I did get to meet some Centralites, but not as many as I had hoped to... maybe we should have a hospitality booth or something next time?

Sounds like I missed the best part of the weekend, as I left shortly after the slide show...

Much thanks to the organizers, hosts, and all involved in presenting an awesome weekend!

:tiki:

TBC

On 2002-06-24 10:15, bamboo ben wrote:
I overheard that other Crazy guy saying, "Notice the thongs?? Good for the grip!" Is it true that if you loose a toe it will off balance you?
Ma-jah-lo
Benboo Bam...

Theres worse thing to lose!(then a Toe!)
-=CC=-

Alooohas,
Why is it that when I was reading about the skinny dipping after the best party of the year, "RM. 135," the first thing that came to my mind was seeing C'Al (like the Pide Pier) scaling that fence ? And, whooooola! It was he who was the instigater!! Oh man, good thing it was split time for this Bamboo.
Mahaloooooooos

p.s. CC. that story you told me about that scar on you thigh scared me. Ouch!
p.s.s. Florentina, we will let Tiki Centralites know asap when we figure a date for the "Gathering of the Tribes" (grand opening we never had). It'll be in August on a Sunday.

On 2002-06-24 16:39, thechikitiki wrote:
Hey Anne, yes, I too was a victim to yer bro, but that just made the event all the more unforgettable. What can i say? you and cc were very nice, as were all the attendants and tiki nuts. I took my wife along to prove that I am not the only one afflicted with this tiki virus. I was glad to meet all of the carvers that have influenced my tiki carving. Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben were also great people. I need more events like this to obsess over.

Hey Danny,
Unfortunately when I invite my mom to these events my bro tags along.Hope you don't think that you're not special because he hit on others? ha ha :wink: :)

A

A BIG ALOHA to all the card carrying Tiki Centralites who attended the Tiki event of the century!

It was great to see and meet up with Weird Uncle, The Mysterious Miss Monaloa, Migg, Frenchy, Mateo, THE Fabulous Tiki Bob, King Kukulele, FloraTina, Mr. Smiley, Cary, Mary Margaret,Trader Pup, Otto, Doe, and Vander Vegas, C.C., Anne, and the adorable Catalina, Sven, Shag, Charlie, Baxter, Sarah, Crazy Al, Uncle Artie, Markus, Biff, Martin, Rebecca, Tiki Mike, Alice, Beach Bum Berry, Bosko, Truues, Phil, Bamboo Ben, Holden, Gretchen, Rich, Shawna, the Professor and Maryanne there on Caliente soil!

The Tiki Oasis weekend was the most outrageous fun we have had in many a moon. It sure beats the Hell out of getting kicked out of Vegas! I just want to thank everyone who turned out and went to great lengths to have a Tiki-riffic time! Everyone I met seemed to be getting into the spirit of the event with a no holds barred type of zeal. I felt truly welcome by all and was ecstatic about all the new friends we made.

The sing-along in our room (the infamous Room 135) was the most unexpected, spur of the moment party we have ever thrown, and I think that is really the best type of all. I've never had so much fun in a hotel room, (Sorry, Al. I love you, but you just can't compete with a room full of Tiki freaks and the spontaneous live entertainment of King Kukalele, Weird Uncle, and Cary on Bongos, etc.) They played the ukes and bongos with reckless abandon!

We got a few photos of the sing along on the digital cam, so we will be sure to post them somewhere where you can all see them and check out how crazy you look after too many Waikikians.

Floratina, I am dying to see the video!

Migg, you were so gracious to remember us and bring your guests over!

The impromptu slide show of someone's parent's 1961 trip to Hawaii was an unexpected visual treat.

Incidentally, whomever brought their ice bucket over to use as a rasp instrument for the jam session, I returned it to the front desk on Sunday. So, you should not be charged for it! The "Shopping List" had me a little shook, I must say. I did not take my usual "complimentary" washcloth on this trip.

Overall the staff at the Caliente Tropics was great! Ulla at the front desk, was a bit too Gestapo-esque for my taste, but otherwise we were met with pleasant hospitality.

This trip to Palm Springs was definitely up there in my Top Ten Weekends List. I was also thrilled to relieve the thrift stores of the desert of a ridiculous amount of vintage Hawaiian vinyl.

Lastly, if any of you have somehow misplaced your Official Tiki Central Membership Card, not to worry. Your complimentary Mai Tai or Fogcutter is not lost. Just be sure to mention the password, "HAWAIIAN EYE, HAWAIIAN EEEYYYEEE, HAWAIIAN EEEYYYEEE!!!!" the next time you visit Al & Shelley's Lagoon Room in Exotic Oceanside, CA.

Until then, may all your Mai Tai's be good ones!

Mahalo,
Shelley

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2002-06-24 21:50 ]

Aloha Kids!

I had a rockin' good time at Tiki Oasis!

I was especially amused by the mahem that erupted at the pool following "Hawaiian Eye." The Tiki Central party in room 135 was AWESOME and as a newcomer, my wacky nephew and I felt very welcome. I had few too many tiki punches and so my memory of the event was a little fuzzy but it was nice to relive the event through your messages. My wife is kicking herself for going to bed early on Saturday, missing out on the La Bamba/Twist 'n Shout rendition, but I'm sure she will not make that mistake next time! Thanks for not kicking us out, and special thanks Alnshely for being such gracious hosts! Also, thanks to CC for helping me back over the fence when we got kicked out the pool area --you are one Cool Dude! In fact all of you are very cool people! Let's do it again soon!

Cheers,

Uncle Arty in HB

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2002-06-24 23:16 ]

I'm not even sure where to start. How 'bout "WOW!" What an amazingly enjoyable weekend! It really kicked into gear Friday night while dining at Banduccis Bit of Italy with Johnnie Velour, Miss Robin, Mig, Frenchy Polynesia and the Martikis. Dinner was good, but the piano bar in the back was GOING OFF! We made our way back there to find it packed with folks(I won't say they were old, but they probably knew Kamehameha when..) shaking tambourines, and singing along to raucous piano arrangements of old standards. That certainly got us into the mood to party with reckless abandon for the rest of the weekend!

The poolside ukelele/bongo jams under the stars were simply enchanting as were the Hawaiian musical shorts that Kevin and Jody screened.

As for the party in Room #135: Isn't it wonderful how such an impromptu gathering could turn into the weekend highlight for so many? If the whole world could be as wild, happy, and good natured as what happened in there, we'd all be in good shape.

TO ALL TIKI CENTRALITES: When next at Caliente Tropics, be sure to make a pencil and paper rubbing of the number plaque for Room # 135. This is now our secret banner!

Shmoozing, tippling, performing, etc.... I did a little of everything and will reflect back on the weekend with fondness forever.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

ARTY! ARTY! ARTY! I am so glad that you found your way over here. "Twist and Shout" was captured on tape, by the way. Now hopefully your buddy with the big hat (whose lovely wife was in a motherly way) will register too. You are somethin else and I hope to see you guys again soon.

I think it might have been King Curtis who first discovered the ice-bucket-as-rasp technique. They were these nice, lucitesque buckets with ridges from top to bottom in our rooms. It was demonstrated that a stick (or backscratcher) dragged along the length of it in a certain rhythm would make people want to sing "Quiet Village". Or mumble it at least, because who knows the friggin lyrics?

When the CC Riders came into the party, they were bombarded with the "If I knew you were coming, I'd have baked a cake" song shtick that Kukulele introduced. Little Catalina had this look on her face like, "What the f***?!" It was priceless. What an adorable little girl.

AlnShely are to be admired for the completeness of their bar. They even had little mermaids and monkeys to go along with the umbrella garnishes - cocktail peanuts, too. Al is quite the talented mixologist.

I was happy to meet Trader Pup at last, and it was fun to see Miehana Tiki again. I got a neato set of tiki hair ornaments from Robin Velour that I am thrilled about.

Lemme add thanks to Otto, Casey, Charlie, Sven and Kevin and Jody!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2002-06-25 11:21 ]

I'd like to thank Crazy Al for the High Colonic via his 'supersoaker', and of course, everyone else for a great time (you know who you are!)

Photos! Who's got photos???? I only have a very few snapshots to remember the weekend by. If any of you(Mig, Floratina, Johnnie Velour, Martiki... I'm trying to recall who else I saw with cameras) fellow Tiki Oasisers have any snapshots you could e-mail to me, I sure would be grateful. I don't even have to be the subject of the photo, any fun shots that captured the vibe will be appreciated. My e-mail: [email protected]
Thank you very much in advance.

-Weird Unc

We think we have an adorable little girl too.Thanks for the compliments of her(luckily,she takes after her father's side!).You know,all the events that happened I really can't believe it happened in my lifetime.It's nice to see such nice people left in the world.Maybe it's the fantasy life of tiki/polynesian that makes it so(Or the fact everyone was on vacation and drunk
!)Too bad Catalina won't remember any of it,but hopefully we'll be able to take her to such cool events in the future(pocketbook providing!)Aloha!

T

I bet Catalina WILL remember when you came in the room and everybody was singing (yelling???), "If we knew you were coming we'd of baked a cake."

I saw her expression and could not figure out if it was the thrill of excitement or the terror of coming into a room of crazy people. (Maybe it was both??) Really, I expected her to burst into tears because that crowd was INTENSE.

Maybe she WON'T remember the "Party Pooper" song that we sang when you/she left the room.

Of course my favorite song was . . . "Sven's in the bathroom and he's taking a dump, taking dump, taking a dump. How'd ya poo, how'd ya poo, number 2!

Still laughing out loud at the songs.

HAWAIIANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-YAH

TB

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2002-06-25 12:54 ]

[ Edited by: tikibob on 2002-06-25 12:55 ]

TikiBob,you are probably right about her remembering.Especially with the deathgrip she had around my neck! I think she knew she was getting away with murder,because her bedtime is at 7pm!Missed the Sven poo song,but you made me crack up reading it.I did relive some old diarhea songs from grade school everyone was singing though!

M

Unc-

We've got lots of pics and we'll see about getting them posted as soon as they're developed. Yep, we're at the cutting edge: Apparently after years of suffering through these cameras where the pictures are on this little screen and then have to be sent through a wire into a computer, they've now come out with this brown strip that comes rolled up in a little plastic cylinder, and the picture is actually IMPRINTED on the strip. It's pretty neat. We'll get them soon.

-martin

On 2002-06-24 12:36, artbyanne wrote:

Anne, your brother was a riot! He hit on me twice, wouldn't believe that I was married and that my wife stayed home in Denver for the weekend (she doesn't like the heat). He was a real crack up. Just another funky character there for the weekend.

BTW, does anyone know the final amount collected for Kevin and the Warner Bros. fee? I hope he made his money back. I was the guy at the pool in the aloha shirt who put a doller in the box as Crazy Al passed it around (lol).

M
mig posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2002 2:29 PM

Hi everyone! Your humble co-moderator here, thanking you all for making this a truly epic occasion.

Sheesh, there are a LOT of people here in TikiCentral whom I didn't meet this weekend. :( Next year-- name tags! Meet & Greet!!!

I think Al & Shelley get the MVP award... it was absolutely incredible. The ROCK ROOM was going off! I made a rough head count, there were about 40 people packed into the room. Photos forthcoming!!

In addition to some of the other previously-mentioned songs-- numerous Hawaiian songs, and also various oldies and schoolyard classics ("Jingle Bells, Batman Smells" and "Diarrhea"), one particularly notable number was a 40-person accapella version of "Quiet Village". Yes there are no words to the song... but we all sang it anyway. Probably nowhere else on earth could this have happened.

Tikifish was there in spirit-- I called her during the height of the rock-room lunacy and left her a voicemail so she could hear everything that was going on. (Hanford, I was going to call you too, but didn't have your number on my new phone yet! hers is easy to remember.) :)

VERY HAPPY to see new people here at Tiki Central. This group is stronger than it's ever been.

It just gets better and better!

On 2002-06-25 14:23, miehana_tiki wrote:

On 2002-06-24 12:36, artbyanne wrote:

Anne, your brother was a riot! He hit on me twice, wouldn't believe that I was married and that my wife stayed home in Denver for the weekend (she doesn't like the heat). He was a real crack up. Just another funky character there for the weekend.

BTW, does anyone know the final amount collected for Kevin and the Warner Bros. fee? I hope he made his money back. I was the guy at the pool in the aloha shirt who put a doller in the box as Crazy Al passed it around (lol).

OK,now it's getting embarrasing...You're #3,any more hit-tees out there? If you guys ever see him again just turn and run!What can I say he's out of control!Run for the hills!!!!

T

I'm new to this more formalized tiki-worhiping scene, but me and tiki go way back.
This was my first tiki outing ever, and what an incredible weekend it was. Gretchen and I had the BEST time. Everyone was so friendly and nice, CT was a wonderfully run resort and the staff very easy-going. Ulla even smiled at me! Mahalo to Otto and everyone who put this shin-dig on. We can't wait for next year (maybe we need one in the fall???)

I thought we'd had the best time possible til I started reading the posts about AlnShely's impromptu sing-a-long. Al - we even passed you on the way back to our room after Hawaiian Eeeeeyyye and you invited us for a drink. We were exhausted and very sadly declined. Now I feel like someone offered us half-sies of a soon-to-win million dollar lotto ticket and we said no thanks. :( I think is says something about our exhaustion level that we were in 139 and didn't hear a thing.

Can someone tell me what Sven looks like? I brought my book for signing and searched all weekend for Sven, but every time I asked someone what he looked like, I got a different description! Way to go incognito!
Maybe next year...

Again, thanks to all the folks at CT, Otto, Baby Doe, and Vander (who hands-down won the cutest baby award...til I met Catalina - uh-oh!), AlnShely, CC, Dick with the best Aloha body art ever, and all the other great folks whose names my grog-soaked brain can't recall (sorry!). Thanks also to all the wonderful musicians of He'e Amakua, Lushy, and The King himself, King Kukalele. Can't wait to see our (and everbody's) pics!
Aloha
Tiki-bot

PS Does anyone remember the name of the movie that played in the commercial break during Hawaiian Eye? It RULED!

K

tiki-bot, here's a sven mugshot: http://hukilau.info/sven.htm

T

He doesn't look much like any of the descriptions I got....hmmm.
Mahalo Kahukini!

Tiki-bot

M
mig posted on Tue, Jun 25, 2002 4:44 PM

Well, here's a few of us TC'ites, taken at the function itself. Click the "view pictures" link, and you will see that I labeled everyone!

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b301f46a05be

CA

test...test... this is wacky sh..tuff

CA

finally-hey i spent all this f'n time writing up this nicey smoozo thing on tiki central.... and it never came up????????

important tiki types like myself aint got time for all this.....just kidd'n folks!!!

man there was a whole lot-o-people a didn't meet :-/

here is a reply...to Colonic Cocktail
Posted: 2002-06-25 10:46

"I'd like to thank Crazy Al for the High Colonic via his 'supersoaker', and of course, everyone else for a great time (you know who you are!)"

the rum was making the pool feel 'Quite Nice' Yet i do remember more then i usualy do... my recollection is that i got more water on the camera (Sorry) then i did up the skirt.

and as far as the comando raid on the pool, it was great to have more then just me, Otto and Joe Savage, like last year. However the effort was much more of a democratic one, being lead by the Founding Father Sven. Damn those Euro's! What up with the Tiki Chicks keeping on the skins???????

Hey CC! Better luck next year with the tips!
Love what you are doing these days!! GO CC GO!!

Chiki!! welcome aboard!! your are a man after my own heart. The new addition to the TikiRoom is fantastic!, but i am having trouble convincing my beter half.

Great Weekend! Please, Please introduce your selves the next time we meet. My memory for names is as bad as my spelling! Faces are like Tikis.

Hope to see you LA'ers at the APE gigs in July!! If you are not on the APE list... get on now... [email protected]

STAY TIKI!!everyone

TBC

Crazy Al,Thanks for the tip($)(I passed it on to housekeeping,hope that holds them over from calling child services)!Did B-Ben wake you up with my emergency room pic yet?CC-ya -=CC=-

CA

nice one... i think i saw that one in the chainsaw massacre... been lucky myself, only splitting open a thumb or two and a won't be sticking my fingers in the grinder any more.

Wow what a weekend! I finally unpacked and added yet more great tiki memories to the bar. It's always great to meet new people and hang out with some good friends. Cheers to Alnshely for the great after party. I think 135 was the maximum occupancy limit. Lady Velour was bummed she missed Disney's Tiki Room sing-a-long with wierd uncle and the King. Pictures will be posted as soon as they come back.

I wish I could have met more people from TC. I had no idea there were so many of yous guys there. A drink and greet would be a great idea for next time.

for the next Oasis, I'll build a Tiki Central, Central meeting hut/ bar and we'll put it in the center of the grass. A couple of volenteers (sp? mine is worse than C'Al) could hang in it and TCers could sign in and get their name tags there. Through out the day's there could be times for meet and greats. Then, maybe a sunset conch blow, lighting of the torch's amd a cheers or what not. Maybe TCers could even bring some stuff to put around and sell, barter and trade etc. Any ideas??

BAM that sounds perfect, but why wait let's all meet at the pub crawl in OC.

HAY AL HEY AL I just found out I can't make the OC. Ape scene :( :( :( I'm bummed

T

Bam Ben,

That suggestion for name tags is great. Maybe this could be done in conjunction with Otto and a real tiki-ish tag could be styled.

I will talk with him about this idea for future events.

Oh, I luv the picture of your grandfather, mother and aunt. Muchos mahalos again.

TB

Hey Tiki-Bot, I look like...the grey haired eminence in Mig's pix. I don't really look like the photo on the Hukilau website anymore, although they are really nice foto montages, my compliments to Swanky?
I also slipped a pic of myself into the Book of Tiki, page 13, below Otto (the bald haired guy), looking straight at ya.

I am sorry to have missed the "dump" song in room 135, because I was already in the pool then. Thanks Denny (King KuKu) #%&@!

But if anyone wonders why I had that laugh attack on the bed earlier, it was because someone nearby had cut a fart and what was cracking me up was seeing the expression on my friend's Pete's face change as he was leaning over the bed conversing with me, trying to maintain composure as the invasive stench was making him loose his thread of what he wanted to tell me. -You had to be there..

T

Sven,

I have to sort of own up to the "Sven's in the bathroom . . ." song. When you had stepped out, someone asked, "Where is Sven?"

We had just greated someone with the cake song so I answered "Sven's in the bathroom and he's . . . "

Of course Denny DID pick up on this immediately and started on the uke. Others added the variable endings of "Number two, number two, number two," or "how'd you poo, how'd you poo, how'd you poo?"

All in good sport (I hope!) Never meant to be offensive. I know you know that.

TB

Pages: 1 2 80 replies