Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Culture and Diabetes

Pages: 1 10 replies

H
Hearn posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2011 1:09 PM

Hey Tc'rs

I haven't posted too much here, but have enjoyed this great site and everything to do with Tiki Culture for around 10 years. As an East Coaster, I haven't had the chance to participate in some of the great events in California, but I was lucky enough to go to the Hulikau last year and took away some great memories.

Anyways...recently out of left field I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and I have been struggling with how it has effected my lifestyle. Going into my Tiki Room used to be an escape from the everyday grind, but now when I go in there I am just reminded of the zombies and mai tais that I can no longer drink. Instead of checking Tiki Central everyday like I used to, I find myself avoiding it altogether.

Its not like I used to get drunk on tiki drinks daily (my fav parts of Tiki are the mugs and art actually), but completely removing that part of the culture cold turkey has been difficult.

I don't mean to be a bummer, but was just hoping there would be some fellow TC'rs out there with advice?

Mahalo,
Hearn

Hearn. Sorry to hear about your plight. The good news is that there are so many low carb alternatives readily available now - sugar free syrups, low carb fruit juices, even sugar free cake mixes and frosting. Here's a thread about low-carb tiki drinks
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40732&forum=10

I agree it is hard to imbibe as most of the drinks are high in carbs as well as the Polynesian foods. I don't think you have to go cold turkey though, you just need to prepare ahead of time. I am not diabetic, but doing Weight Watchers which essentially is a glorified diabetic diet. Not many bars carry diet tonic or sodas, so if you go to a certain place all the time, see if they would stock for you or let you bring in an unopened sugar-free soda/mixer. At least you can have an acceptable beverage served with a fruit slice in a Tiki mug.

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/a/alcohol_subs.htm

There are good links in the thread that Mike posted.

T

Hearn,

Diabetes is really challenging, especially Type 1. I know, as my wife has been a Type 1 Diabetic for more than a decade. Life has been much improved by an insulin pump, but it still requires constant attention, day in and day out, to provide manual feedback to the pump on blood glucose levels and carbohydrate intake, and there are yet other factors that must be considered beyond that.

The really good news is that, once you have stabilized your condition (have your A1c within the band) and have determined insulin sensitivities and carbohydrate ratios, it is still possible to enjoy tropical cocktails in moderation. The wife and I both enjoy simplified Zombies as per the Bum's recipe (e.g., Remixed) using Trader Tiki's Don's Mix. It is just a matter of dosing insulin to compensate for the carbohydrates, and in limiting it to one drink, while also being moderate on the food carbohydrates. She's generally able to keep glucose levels within range. I'm not saying that life is easy, but you need not miss out on all the fun stuff. Of course, you and your doctor must make the call on what is okay for you based on your own situation.

-Tom

BV

I could not do "cold turkey " I don't have diabetes or anything else but I do understand. The way I do it is by exercising like a mad man. I give up other things to have a cocktail - once in a while. But really, like you, I don't drink much any more. Don't loose heart. There is so much to tiki life that I don't miss the drinks much any more. The friends, clothes, mugs, parties, events, bands, TIKI HELL etc keep me happy. Think of it this way; the money you save on booze for one year could buy an air plane ticket and entry fee to Tiki oasis!! :)

H
Hearn posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2011 9:31 PM

Thanks Guys for all of the encouragement and advice.

I feel better all ready!

L
Luki posted on Sat, Oct 1, 2011 11:02 PM

Hey Hearn,

I feel for ya...

Our three-year-old son was diagnosed Type 1 early this year, a couple months before his birthday. It's been a LOT of getting used to things for all of us. Tonight in particular has been a rough night (seems we forgot to change out the chip in his meter yesterday and didn't realize it til tonight...crap!).

You will get into a routine, and you'll find things that work for you. My son is my hero...he's been much better with all of it than either my wife or I. It's especially hard on my wife, since she's with him all the time and is primarily responsible for making sure EVERYthing is ok, constantly. Not an easy task at all, on top of the already-daunting task of being first-time parents at right around the 40-year-old mark :wink:

Just try to keep in mind that diabetes treatment is worlds better than it was even a few decades ago. The insulins are really great, the meters are easy, there's a lot more available that'll help you enjoy food & drink without making your BG go nuts, etc., like other people here have said. If your favorite part of tiki is the mugs and art anyway, keep smiling about those things.

The Type 1 doesn't define you!!

We all have bits & pieces that don't work right. If it's your eyes, you wear glasses. If it's your pancreas, you take insulin. Sure, it's not a 1:1 analogy, but you get the idea.

Hold onto the things that make you happy and keep living your life :)

T
teaKEY posted on Sun, Oct 2, 2011 1:11 PM

I buy a lot of rum and haven't had a drink in years. I see the drinks a small part of tiki for me.

Between my Dad being diagnosed with Diabetes.
My Best Buddy getting diagnosed with early stages of Liver cancer.
My Sister, her boyfriend, and her ex Husband, all having 502(drinking and driving)
tickets.
And to top it off, My high Blood Pressure, and a odd tingling feeling in my feet, when I have a few drinks. I have really cut way back on my drinking.
I was told that my sugar levels are ok, but hearing (ALL) the nasty details of what is caused by drinking too much. I am learning that it is not good for anyone to
over indulge, ever!
;-/

Jeff(btd)

I asked my Registered Dietician daughter about this subject. She said some kind of mumbo-jumbo about the Cori cycle vs the Kreb cycle and about controversial theories that alcohol may actually require more calories to digest than it actual provides (making it "negative calories"). Then she told me that distilled alcohol does not contain carbohydrates - maybe this is old news to you but I didn't know that.

So in theory you can drink all the rum you want on the rocks or mixed with diet Coke, Goslings Diet Ginger Beer, Diet Coke, Diet Ocean Spray Cocktail, etc :D

T

My wife is a Type 1 diabetic but still participates quite enthusiastically in Tiki Bar culture. Like some others have posted, you just need to be prepared and be creative. If she is going to do a Mai Tai, she'll adjust her insulin dose accordingly. Also, there are quite a few drinks that can be made "sugar free" which you'd barely notice. Her go to right now is the Mojito made with Splenda instead of sugar. Most bartenders are happy to oblige. Having said all this, not all diabetics are the same and if you are recently diagnosed, you'll need some trial and error to find out what your body will or won't tolerate. Also, a good physician will be able to help you figure out what your tolerance levels are. So, with a little preparation and knowledge under your belt, you can dive in and participate in the wonderful world of Tiki! All the best to you!

Pages: 1 10 replies