Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Wonderland 6 Dec.3 ** Grand Re-opening** pg.6

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies

GROG!!
Long time, no tease.... :(
Have you started a new 'list' for this thread? I haven't been #1 on GROG'S list for a while :wink: i've got some catching up to do....

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 19, 2011 11:59 PM

GROG making a list, but haven't decided what the list is for yet. But, right now Boris is #1 one on that list.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-11-20 00:02 ]

K

That's okay, I can knock Boris out of that #1 spot...no sweat! Watch out, GROG... I'm super motivated to be on GROG'S list again. It's been too long! :P

K

Hey GROG, wait a minute!... Are you saying Kinny isn't at the top of your list?!? Since when?

Kinney is at the top of my list, but Santa's list? Not too sure, those boys have all been naughty!. Better make good cookies, I like to taste good cookies! Prizes? Yes!

You would actually put something Kinny made.....in your mouth?

Oh how I've missed you guys and your wacky TC threads. . . . :D

I am really excited about vending at the Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland 5!
Mahalo to GROG for inviting me to be a part of the fun, and for keeping this crazy dysfunctional tiki family affair going for 5 years strong!

Wonderful news about the new partnership! I can't wait to celebrate and toast to the continued awesomeness of the Tonga Hut!
Congrats and Thank You's all around. I think Sven said it best by far:

On 2011-11-18 10:34, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wonderful! Kudos to Queen Kamehameha for continuing her policy of sponsoring artists and places that are part of Tiki history, helping to perpetuate the culture from within, by and for people who love it and are clued into what it represents - like a real queen would do it.

And now back to work~creating some really fun art pieces to share with you all. . .
Coconut Monkey Ornaments Maybe?
Lady Mai Kai Cocktail Trays?
Lovely Wahine Pendants?
Some Small-but-Sultry Velvet Paintings perhaps? . . .
Photos Soon!

And oh YES. . . . Cookie Contest Please!
Boris I would love to see you whip up a batch of those 'weird and doughy' GROG cookies too~they sound delicious. ;D

http://www.atomikitty.com

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2011-11-20 23:49 ]

Count me in for the cookie contest. I'll be pouring over episodes of My Drunk Kitchen for inspiration.

kevin

On 2011-11-19 18:44, little lost tiki wrote:
i vote that Kari IS the BEST LOOKIN COOKIE in TOWN! :)

Awww! You made my week, LLT! I better see you there!

kiss kiss sweetie!
I'll be there for sure!
i promised Kelly i'd vend,soooooo........
:)

B

On 2011-11-19 13:32, GROG wrote:
One for Best-Looking Cookie and one for Best Tasting Cookie.

Count me in for the contest. Mine will not win for best looking cookie. They look like snowman droppings. But the taste is Mmmmmm!

Tiki Magazine vending will be represented by two of its esteemed writer/photographers. (Gee, I wonder who those could be?) Plus, I will be bringing a bit of my Tiki overflow items to sell at this shindig. In particular... LADIES!!! I have an incredibly RARE, vintage, Alfred Shaheen dress in the infamous "International Marketplace" print! It's super-sexy, and is in practically perfect condition. Surely, this has to be on someone's Santa list! Looking forward to seeing you all. I'll be the one wearing very dark sunglasses, since I'm driving back from N. California very late the night before. Not pretty, but I'll be there.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 23, 2011 10:29 AM

All you artists, and non-artists, and anybody else who want to help spread the word about the event--be sure and save the flier to your desktop and post it on your facebook, myspace, website, blog, message forum, or whatever you have. We appreciate the help in spreading the word. Print it out and hang fliers at work. GROG going to email GROGself at work and print it out to hang up at the studio

Thanks for the help.

GROG

J

I posted the event on the Surf Guitar 101 Website. I'm sure the Glasgow Tiki Shakers will be a draw for the "Valleys" in that crowd (although most Surf Music fans only spend $$ on CDs, not art or fancy cocktails :().

The Kustom Kulture Tikiphiles here should spread the word amongst that community. From what I saw at the "Tiki Highway" event at Don's, that crowd was spending major money on Tiki art. :)

Great idea! plus the surf crowd do indeed drink don't be mistaken :)

On 2011-11-21 23:36, little lost tiki wrote:

Did ya even try...come on! You can do better than that!!

I'll have some time this weekend to polish off some better ones,Douggles!

This "Photoshop Wars" Tonga Hut thread is always so wonderfully funny every year! Thanks for cheering me up, guys! I didn't think it possible anymore, but you did it. Thanks A Bunch!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2011 3:55 AM

Hurry to the Tonga Hut on Saturday, Dec. 3rd for the GRAND RE-OPENING and Tiki Wonderland.
Vendors, Live Music, Cookie Contest, and Rum tasting. (bring your Goin' Primitive wrist band.)

See ya'll then.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-11-27 21:32 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2011 11:20 AM

Artists/Vendors:

Vending starts at 12:00 noon, so we need to set up before that. Spots are first come first served. We are charging the artists $20 vending fee to pay for the food and live band. Vending is out in the parking lot, so you do need your own table and possibly an easy up for shade. Either that or a hat and plenty of sunscreen if no easy up. Vending ends at 4:30pm and the Glasgow Tiki Shakers start playing at 5pm.

Customers:

Kelly and Lisa-Marie will be making drinks. That two bartenders mixing drinks for a whole lot of drinkers, so please be patient for drinks, because Tiki drinks are a bit more involved in making than just pouring a Jack-and-coke or a beer.

Cookie Makers:

Get your cookies there by 4pm if you can, and we will announce the winners at the first break the Glasgow Tiki Shakers take. One winner for best tasting cookie and one for best-looking cookie. Winners get a free drink donated by the Tonga Hut, and if GROG get any Moai Salt and Pepper shakers made, GROG will donate a pair for the winners.

I have the same scooter as Santa!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 10:15 AM

That was your scooter. Santa borrowed it for awhile.

We lost two and gained one. Vendors that is.

Tiki Farm is in the middle of packing up and moving to a new location, so they won't be able to vend. And kirby is in the middle of making stuff for the new Tonga Hut remodel, so he doesn't think he'll be able to finish stuff in time to vend. However, Sven Kirsten Mr. BOOK OF TIKI himself has stepped in to sell some stuff so you'll see him there in the vending area. Bring your Book of Tiki or Tiki Modern for him to sign. What!? You don't have Tiki Modern!? Well, you can get one then or buy one for your loved one who is into Tiki and/or Witco.

Then, the next day, Sunday there is the Memorial Service for Mike Adler at Don the Beachcomber about 1:30 pm, so head on down for that.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=41009&forum=17&start=120

And, while you're traveling from the Tonga Hut on Saturday or Don the Beachcomber on Sunday, be sure and stop off at the Purple Orchid in El Segundo for a drink or two. Let's support our Tiki establishments.

So when is the rum tasting going to be happening?

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 3:18 PM

Good question. GROG have to contact Jeremy and get back to you with that info.

You guys are a riot. Maybe I'll schedule next year's trip to include Tiki Wonderland 6. Have fun!

I'm looking forward to checking it out, and grabbing' a Mai Tai.

I have to work most of the day, but you can start the Rum tasting after I get there.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2011 11:57 PM

Swung by the Tonga Hut and talked to Jeremy and Amy this evening. Rum tasting is from 2pm to 5pm and is brought to you by Appleton.

P

Ah, too bad. Can't be there before 5. Love Appleton!

Well, here's my contribution to the flyer mayhem:

As one of only TWO lady artists in this show, I felt I had to come out strong and REPRESENT!

I've been busy as a rum-fueled menehune getting together a collection of
Atomikitty Artwork and Gift Items for this show. :)
. . . As well as a few mid-century, tiki, and vintage barware treasures from my collection.

I will post pics here tomorrow, or you can pop on over to my Facebook Page for a sneak peek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2740864686331.2150915.1398862755&type=3

Mahalo for Supporting your Local Artists and Tiki Bars!

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2011-12-01 02:33 ]

"Buy some Art or Get Cut!"
:lol:
Classic!

I love you guys, Wendy

yay, cleared from work till monday so will get to vend and party. Hope to have mugs, paintings, resin chunk swag lamp pendants, prints and such ready for the funs.
Also, as a side note, if anybody is willing to brave downtown that evening (subway is good choice) I have new installation set up in resident area for the Hive Gallery opening of the $250 and under show, so if'n ya aints to boozy and wants to see more arts and party, come on down and visit.
Lookin forward to see what the new co owner brings to the Tonga table, and lookin forward to yuckin it up with folks on Saturday!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2011 2:58 PM

Less than 24 hours 'til the festivities begin!! GLASGOW TIKI SHAKERS!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!

H

LOVE the flyer Atomikitty!! Can't wait til tomorrow!!!

I've got TONS of new jewelry made and some reduced prices on lots of stuff :)

See you guys tomorrow !

G
GROG posted on Fri, Dec 2, 2011 11:56 PM

Just about 12 more hours until vending starts in the parking lot at the Tonga Hut!!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 3, 2011 1:31 AM

The artist who painted this:

Also painted this:

It was his last commercial assignment, he was 71, and it was for the cover of Playboy Magazine.

See ya'll at the Tonga Hut.

YAWN!BlahBlahBlah
How 'bout some REAL ART?

Last Flyer of the Season....sigh...

See y'alls in less than 12 hours!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2011-12-03 01:36 ]

will you really be wearing an elf costume?! oh pleeze oh pleeze oh pleeze...

DZ

Art from noon to 4:00, Glasgow Tiki Shakers from 5:00 to 8:00 - what happens after 8:00? I've heard that the bar is closing at 8:00...

you gonna be wearin an Elf costume,Jeff?

please say "Yes!"

:)

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 3, 2011 9:55 AM

Now don't go starting any unsubstantiated rumors there, Z-Man.

GROG not hear anything like that. GROG hear rumors that it's supposed to be windy today, so artists if you're bringing EZ Ups, be sure and bring something heavy to anchor them.

You better not pout, you better not cry, cause we are coming to town!
See ya all real soon!

That "Blustery Day" might be the best one yet! :lol: A classic!

What a GREAT day it was, yes, blustery but sunny sky and sunny smiles all around. I was just so happy to see everybody!

Cass (Oceatica), Tiki Tony and JP

Boris, Naomi and Danny (Tiki Diablo)

Sven (Bigbrotiki) and Kari (Tangaroaru)

Kirby, Jim Bacchi ....and JP again!

Kinny and customers

The new Tonga Hut is a an achievement in Tiki Swankness, folks! Congrats to Amy and Jeremy and Kirby and ALL the people that worked so hard, spending more time there than at home for the last week!

Tiki Tom outside the parking lot door carved by Kirby:

Jeremy talking to the pizza man by a Kirby mural inspired by Tiki Modern:

A happy Drooling Bastard:

Nelson's resin lamps over every booth:

A nice couple...:

...by the new fire place. A corner of Kirby's map mural is visible. Somebody else has to post the whole piece, there were so many friends, sights and drinks it all became a big swirl of swank! :)

we just got home from the Tonga Hut & boy are my arms tired!

Nice to catch up with you motley crew, The place looks great, wait til you see pics of the A-Frames
over the tables along the wall to, Tonga Tom will show his I bet soon.

all you Tonga Nutters you done good! love the fire place.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 175 replies