Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

New Drink - Twist on Manhattan

Pages: 1 11 replies

I'm calling it the "Los Angeles".

What is it and how is it tiki?

It is 1.5 oz Woodland Ridge Bourbon
.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
and
.25 oz Senior Curacao. Yep, that is the tiki part.

Plus, remember to put a few twists of bitters- I use orange Fees and Anagostora. And, remember the cherry. Pour over ice, stir and drain into a glass.

So, it has no rum, but not every tiki drink does. Plus, Los Angeles is another tiki connection.

Angelinos, it is time Manhattan pay its due regards.

The Senior Curacao is a strong compliment to this very famous drink. Orange goes so well with bourbon.

Let me know what you think and how it might be improved.

It's time Los Angeles has its own drink.

sounds like a Minneapolis Hustler to me, or a Liberal Cocktail.

On 2012-02-22 19:46, thePorpoise wrote:
sounds like a Minneapolis Hustler to me, or a Liberal Cocktail.

Not quite. No lime juice, simple syrup, and a better choice of orange curacao.

I honestly don't want to get in a pissing match (where did that term come from anyhow?) over semantics, but I rarely consider short drinks as "tiki". Tiki drinks, to me, are more of a punch type drink.

Regardless, I'll give it a whirl. It reminds me of the description of a fancy cocktail in David Wondrich's "Imbide" which, if I remember correctly, is basically booze, bitters, and curacao (or maraschino).

Edit: Ha! I used the google to determine WTF a pissing match is. Here you go. Slightly NSFW. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pissing_contest

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2012-02-23 08:45 ]

Sounds good, no matter what ya call it... speaking of new drinks... Squid Row Comics is having a drinkee-poo contest as we speak! There's a new drink Kona Karl introduced called KAPU... he won't tell ya what's in it... (it's forbidden)... so I'm leaving it up to readers to send me their Kapu drink recipes! For more info, go to squidrowcomics.com and see the recent blog. Scroll down a little. In the meantime, Hooo- Haaaa! Cheers!

On 2012-02-23 11:24, Squid Row Mama wrote:
Sounds good, no matter what ya call it... speaking of new drinks... Squid Row Comics is having a drinkee-poo contest as we speak! There's a new drink Kona Karl introduced called KAPU... he won't tell ya what's in it... (it's forbidden)... so I'm leaving it up to readers to send me their Kapu drink recipes! For more info, go to squidrowcomics.com and see the recent blog. Scroll down a little. In the meantime, Hooo- Haaaa! Cheers!

You should start your own thread. Just sayin'. Also, link stuff like this http://squidrowcomics.com/?p=3075

Speaking of pissing matches, I remember getting into one with a peer over w2 forms.

Anyway, I remember Don Beach drank lots of bourbon. I've always felt that tiki drinks also extended to other spirits then rum. While this drink isn't really "tiki", for those who enjoy bourbon, I think you will like the change up.

I got the idea for this from Treo, a restaurant where Rory use to work as a bartender. There Manhattan uses a splash of Creme de Noyeaux and is it ever great.

The Los Angeles cocktail already exists: I think even Marcos Tello revived it at one of his bars. It's really nasty IMO though, it calls for a whole egg yolk and everything.

You're right on that one. I am going to call it a Los Angelino instead.

But this drink... it's wonderful. Orange and bourbon always have been one of my favorite combinations. I prefer this one over a well-made old fashioned.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2012-02-27 18:39 ]

[ Edited by: telescopes 2012-02-27 18:49 ]

Firstly, a Manhattan should be make with rye, not bourbon. And many before have thought along this same vein. For example, Dushan Zaric has almost the exact same recipe here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0gYinAwVlaA

• George
H

According to Ted Haigh (Dr. Cocktail)
"Along with Champagne Cocktail, the oldest cocktail still made the same way it was 145 years ago".

the Manhattan

2 1/2 oz rye or Bourbon
1 oz sweet vermouth (or,for a so called perfect Manhattan 1/2 oz each dry and sweet vermouth)
2 dashes Angostura bitters

combine with iced mixing glass. Stir, and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry or a twist or
both.

I am having one with rye right now and it is good.

On 2012-03-02 12:32, TikiHardBop wrote:
Firstly, a Manhattan should be make with rye, not bourbon. And many before have thought along this same vein. For example, Dushan Zaric has almost the exact same recipe here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0gYinAwVlaA

• George

I agree. I use Bullit rye for my manhattans. But I use Woodford Reserve for my new drink, the L.A.

I have loved the taste of Rye for many years now and am thrilled that Bullit has come out with such a wonderful rye.

Pages: 1 11 replies