Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Using thatch or bamboo to sound proof a room?

Pages: 1 5 replies

Hey there, I live in a non-insulated duplex (no one above me or below me). I share only a wall with my neighbor. . .who drum circles on her floor without a drum . . . and we both have wood floors. She also practices tantric, ahem, things. LOUDLY. I'm basically privy to her every conversation, sneeze, cough, etc. I used to find it funny, now I'm starting to feel a little like David "Blame it on the neighbor's dog" Berkowitz. I don't think it's just a matter of soundproofing the wall we share. I believe the sound travels through the house's crawlspace, attic space, pipes, etc.

Without having to move, I am trying to figure out an effective way to block some of the sound, but in a way that still looks aesthetically pleasing. My place is decorated with a polynesian theme, so I thought maybe some thatch on the walls might help? Not sure yet what to do with the floors. I love my wood floors and don't want to cover them with a huge area rug.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :)

google:

tiki bar tv

then watch episodes 2 and 3

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-02-27 21:33 ]

I would say your Polynesian theme decore makes it easier. Bamboo or thatch are probably not that good of sound insulators but the would be good at hiding real sound insulators. I don't know anything about sound insulation, my first thought was styrofoam. But a little web research told me that styrofoam was a crappy sound insulator. Looks like rigid fiberglass board is better, about $1.25/sq. ft. for 2 inch thickness.

J

I lived in New York for years and this is a common problem. I do not know how much renovation you are able or willing to do. Do you rent or own?

The best way is to set up some 2 X 4s/studs and build a "second wall." Sound is an energy, so every layer it hits helps to diminish it. So her chants or moans or whatever would hit the established wall>A layer of Air>The second wall. And you could fill the second wall with acoustic insulation. Then you could use drywall with the thatch attached.

Of course, this is mildly ambitous and you would have to sacrifice some space.

More simply, you could fasten homasote board to the common walls and then it would be easy to attach thatch or bamboo to the homasote. Homasote is a fairly decent sound insulator, but it won't be perfect. But if you are renting, you can dismantle it easily and only have a few holes in the drywall to fill and thus save your deposit.

Rigid fiberboard works well too, but I think it has to be covered by drywall so as to avoid a fire hazard. Your thatch would add to that hazard.

Good luck.

[ Edited by: JackLord 2012-02-29 08:16 ]

[ Edited by: JackLord 2012-02-29 08:16 ]

hang10tiki---Ha! The loudest I ever get is when I'm tap dancing, but that's only for the garage (so I don't eff up my wood floors).

MadDogMike and JackLord---Thanks for taking the time and researching! Since I rent, I think I am going to try the homasote board. Bamboo/thatch might be tricky to use, so maybe I will try and use wheat paste to affix some boss looking barkcloth to the homasote board as a sort've "wall paper." I think this is a good compromise.

Thanks guys :)

This is a small and cheap suggestion. I live in an apartment without soundproofing so I know how maddening it can get. Go to your local home improvement store and buy some foam electric outlet sealing gaskets for your light switches and electrical outlets. That will lessen some of the bodily sounds coming from your neighbor. They also help cut down on your heating and cooling bills.
Tapa cloth might help too. Cloth and soft surfaces absorb sound.

Pages: 1 5 replies