Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Inspiration Point - San Pedro, CA (progress)

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

Inspiration Point is the name of my garage tiki workshop and in the last week I've started throwing a few things on the walls. What you see is the rough draft of the tiki workshop and creation area. What is the "rough draft" you may ask? I need to build an attic in the garage to store non-tiki stuff and in order to have enough space to build it, I decided I should get all the tiki stuff up off the floor and out of the way (currently there are lots of bins and what not on the floor in the garage). Rather than just move it all to another storage area (like the basement), I thought it would be cool to decorate a bit. When the attic is finished, everything needs to come off the walls so I can re-wire and insulate under the drywall. At that point, it will go back up on the wall, but in a way more akin with my vision. For now, check out what has been done so far:

The walls in the garage are drywall white and the idea for the initial build out was to make it easy and get stuff out of the way and on the walls. Rather than spend money to coat the walls (that will be coming down eventually anyway) in expensive wall paper or lahala, I opted to use some old blinds that we had in our old house (and were going to throw away, but decided not to) as the wall covering. Everything was already taking up space in my garage, I just started to display them!

The start on a part of the wall:

Some more wall:

(in this picture I've used some of my VERY old carvings/trim as wall covers)

yet more wall:

even more wall:

Some nautical trinkets I had:

More goodies:

Some awesome tiki art waiting to be hung:

Some floats waiting to be hung:

Part of the ceiling:

I'm also working on the back yard (no pictures yet) and our guestroom/artist showcase. The room is a work in progress (wall covering next!), but here are a few pictures of the furniture I covered for it:

Dresser:

Bed Frame:

Storage unit (holds my records):

Thanks for stopping by and getting a sneak peak! More soon!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: polynesiac 2013-05-24 07:10 ]

Jetsam and flotsam of the seven seas - I like it!

H
harro posted on Thu, May 17, 2012 2:47 AM

awesome stuff, look forward to seeing more of all those projects, including progress pics!

The vibe of collected tiki stuff sharing work space is really cool. Eventually, the space may become "decorated", but in the meantime it's just "there" in the raw. Nice.

when's the party?

Thanks for stopping by, friends!

yes, Sven, my favorite stuff! Bahooka, FI, SC, skipper Kent's, trade winds....I love the feel of escapist locations that mix the nautical and south pacific vibe.

Harro - once I get off my butt and edit the timelapse I've made, I have MANY progress shots of the backyard concrete and deck removal. More to come!!!

Thanks Bongo, I agree that sometimes inspiration is best in it's spontaneous form. We'll see how all this progresses, but for now, I like where it's going.

Ben, it's always a party at my place!! Woot, Woot!!!!

Polynesiac,

Looks great. Nice idea on using the old blinds for wall covering. I just picked up a bamboo set at the thrift store to do the same thing in my motorhome.

Look forward to more photos.

DC

A

So far this is looking fantastic. But where's the bar?

Oooh, dig that antique radio...

Lots o cool stuff

Thanks friends!

DC - If they were staying up permanently, I would have painted the wall first (dark brown or black maybe), as if you look super close you can still see the white wall behind. That said, after I insulate and rewire the drywall, I think I might use these blinds as backing again. I really dig how they look!

Arriano - Thanks and I'll have to figure that one out! I'll probably do something in the backyard...tho I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

markmywords - Thanks! the finished product will hopefully have a late 40's early 50's vibe to it. This radio may eventually get a tiki treatment (and the floor one I have too) and it will be converted (read - gutted) so I can play my ipod through them.

Thanks hang10! Too much stuff!! but that's okay. It'll all find a nice place to be when it's finished!

Thanks for looking!

Even though it is just temporary, your collection of decor is delightful. Got a great sunken ship feel to it. NICE!!!

Thanks Vamp! Details for the backstory of "Inspiration Point" are still yet to come, but they do revolve around many shipwrecks. I'm happy you gleened that from the photos!!! I guess I'm headed in the right direction! Thanks for stopping by!

The place looks freaking Awesome !!

Aloha friends! Long time no update!

I've done a little work around Inspiration Point recently and thought I would share the progress. As this is a "tiki" workshop and not a bar, I do not have a proper bar, but I do have lots of wonderful flotsam!

Here is the carving corner:

I do painting/chisel carving/casting and other non-dusty stuff in the garage workshop. All super messy, major power tool creation takes place outside.

Here is the "inspiration" corner. There's still quite a bit of work left to do, but I finally got it to a point where i can sit and relax in it!:

Thanks for looking! More progress shots later as I finish up the back yard and make more plugs for my lamps and finish up the remainder of the "tiki" workshop!

Nice Saturation !! Not surprised. You are one of TC's original artists.

HT

I don't know, I see some jetsam in there...

Looks great, man. Haven't seen much from you lately carving wise. Love the pad. Great office space :)

Thanks Spermy!!!! (a little late, I know, but thanks for checking it out!!)

Thanks MM - Saturation is key...and I think I just have too much crap to fill in a small space!

Hale, thank you for stopping by. I've been carving a bit here and there, but definitely need to post more and interact more on the TC boards!

AND the workshop/inspiration corner is officially open....

Lookin good!

Love your space.

M
Murph posted on Wed, May 22, 2013 7:48 PM

I love the tiki density in your room!

G
GROG posted on Wed, May 22, 2013 8:21 PM

Traveling Rumpus Room at Polynesiac's place!

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-05-22 20:21 ]

Q

You've got a great vibe going on in there and a very appropriate name to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers and aloha,

Q

Now that is what a call a nice work space. Love the collection.

• Dale

Looks great! Nicely done!

Bad Ass Place.

I love the Nautical/Tiki look. You really hit it out of the park, with the mix of items and overall vibe of the room.

Your ceiling is simple and great at the same time.

Great job brother!

-Longboard

Lori, Murph, Grog, Q-tiki, littlegiles, slacks, longboard - thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Gets me pumped to do more and inspired to keep on-keeping on!

Grog - I'm STOKED that you would even mention a traveling Rumpus Room stop at Inspiration Point! I'm a bit out of the way, but would love to host one! Maybe this summer?

A cool space for your inspirations. You have done a great job and can never have too much stuff, especially the flotsum and jetsum. You don't have to have a bar.....we don't keep our booze in our bar unless we are having a party (don't want any wandering neighbor kids getting drunk in our backyard). If it's just us or a couple friends drinks are made in the kitchen

You have a great looking place! I like the nautical antiques mixed with the tikis. It's like a shipwreck on a South Pacific island.
When I first moved to Long Beach 8 years ago I used to go to the beaches in Palos Verdes and San Pedro and find all sorts of flotsam and jetsam on the beaches. It hasn't been that way for 3 years now. Somebody had told me that it's illegal to pick up the fish floats and being the newbie that I was I didn't. Now I wish I had!
There's a lot of cool history in Palos Verdes and San Pedro, that most residents of LA and OC don't even bother to discover. Plus, the views are the best in the area!

A

This place looks fantastic. Great job all around

T

On 2013-05-22 13:34, Monkeyman wrote:
Nice Saturation !! Not surprised. You are one of TC's original artists.

Here! Here!
I can remember looking at your lights and saying man I wish I could do that.
So you inspired me.
Looks great!

Very cool! Love the eclectic mix of stuff.

Thanks for the aloha, friends!

Bongo - Thanks for the comps! I guess one can never have too much flotsam and jetsam...and if I do, then I give it away! Keeping the booze indoors is a wise suggestion..as it will hopefully keep the alcoholic skunks away as well!

TLB - the shipwreck theme is exactly what I was going for! So you're the one who gets the floats before me along the coast?? The flotsam is still there..you just need to know when and where to go as there are quite a few combers in this area! I love this area too! Super rich in nautical heritage...and the inspirational beachcombing legacy of the Hedleys!

Thank you Arriano!

Tikiskip - thank you for that! I think I need to add a TS lamp to the ceiling! Your style is perfect for inspiration point!

BigK - thanks, my MA brethren!

H
harro posted on Wed, May 29, 2013 4:26 AM

great to see an update to this thread and just... WOW, as I expected, its over the top awesomeness and - to be obvious - inspirational!!!

now where's those time lapse progress pics???

T

uh, that's definitely the most awesome garage i've ever seen!

PP

thats an awesome awesome work space!!!!! looks better than my tiki bar!!Great, now Ive got inspiration to re-do my garage and work space lol!!! wont the GF be happy to hear more tiki stuff is going in the garage now too!!
really too cool bro, Im always down in San Pedro at Ft. MacAurthur maybe we've covered the same ground lol
Paul

MR

Yeah Jim, you pretty much rule.

Thanks for stopping by, friends!

Harro - thank you!! Time lapse is coming...I just need to complete a few more things to the back yard before I can release them. Should be cool tho!!

BigT - thanks! When we bought the house, I had a major choice to make about the garage - will it be devoted to a workshop and inspiration corner (and storage too), or will I keep and fix up my 1956 landrover I had. I decided (through a little trial and error) that I sucked at working at cars, but I seem to be okay with wood.

Pele Paul - your backyard is awesome!! Down 'Pedro way quite a bit, huh? I'm sure we have. You also combing the beaches for goodies? Thanks for the comps!!

Matty - right back atcha. Lava lounge is the beez-kneez and major source of inspiration. Plus, you're a swell guy.

More updates soon!

Aloha tiki peeps! I thought I would add some new pics to the ol' Inspiration Point thread here on my lurking paradise of TC!

I've worked out a lot of the lighting and added quite a bit more to the little space. Let's check it out:

From the corner of IP, looking towards the rattan screen - behind that is the workshop

CU of wall with life ring logo

Another CU

Corner opposite the couch

Corner CU of flotsam and what not. Plus a little of this and that.

CU or corner

Nautical wall

From couch looking back towards the garage door. The hutch holds the mug collection, but haven't figured out how to get electricity in there yet. The screen covers regular garage stuff.

Looking towards the workshop (note the bamboo and whatnot on the wall)

Not so well lit, but the workshop area

CU of workshop side looking over to the rest of Inspiration Point

Final CU of workshop area

I hope you've enjoyed your tour of Inspiration Point!

I wish my garage looked that good!

Damn that's nice!

Looks awesome Polynesiac!!!

Wow, What a show off!

-Longboard

One of my favorite places to tour on TC. Great job!

On 2013-05-22 13:29, Polynesiac wrote:

Here is the "inspiration" corner.

I think everyone should have a place like that for "Inspiration."

Love it! Nicely done!!!!

I've been there and seen it in person. Believe me, the pics don't do it justice! Awesome job Polynesiac!

T

"Tikiskip - thank you for that! I think I need to add a TS lamp to the ceiling! Your style is perfect for inspiration point!"

Nice work!!
It's got that amber glow, Perfect.
I do hit and runs on TC so I don't always see what people post so I'm a year or so late.
BUT yeah I want to send you a light, may take till spring when I can get outside and work on it
but I will get to it.

Heck I owe you one for starting me off.

ATP, Slacks, spermy, longboard, tikilongbeach, MaukaHale, lorilovestiki thanks for touring and for your words of encouragement. Means a ton coming from the likes of the tiki elite with such phenomenal spaces as your own!!!

Polynesianpop - Mahalo for the kind words, and yes you have been here and took some great pics as well! Thank you! I need to make it out to hang in yours soon!!

Tikiskip - wow! What a kind offer! No rush, there will always be space for a tikiskip in my tiki room! Maybe we do a trade? Although, as anyone who does a trade with me will say, I do not do the quickest of work, but I would LOVE to have a tikiskip in my collection!

The workspace is open! Time to tiki!

Pages: 1 2 51 replies