Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Annoying Catch Phrases

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

The other day LuckyDesigns mentioned that he hated the catch-phrase "You're so money and you don't even know it." Well, it annoys the hell out of me too. Here's a few more that drive me absolutely nuts:

"Talk to the Hand"
"Who's your Daddy"
"Sucks to be You"
"You go Girl"

Anyone got any others?

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-06-18 15:36 ]

Isn't the catch phrase "Polynesian Pop" overused? :lol:

Of course, "who's your daddy" never quite bothered me. :lol:

S

"tastes like chicken"

T

She's all that and a bag of chips!
I hate that!
:x

"take it up a notch"
"bam!"
anything Moon Zappa said in "Valley Girl"

and, of course
"weapons of mass destruction"

J

"Show me the money!"

"You can kiss my ass in Macy's window!"

On 2003-06-18 17:38, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
"You can kiss my ass in Macy's window!"

Wait...Sorry, I actually do like that one.

K

Anyone who still says: "try to think outside the box", obviously can't think outside the box themselves.

"I like them fried taters" - funny but, we HEARD it already!

Can we mention ones we like? OK, here's one I like:
so and so is "off the chain", as in someone who's angry to the point of being livid. Or someone who's frisky to the point that a tranquilizer dart may be in order (like Twowheelin' these last few days).

"true dat"
"sho' nuff"
"my bad"
"off the hook" (thanks for reminding me of that, KC)

S

"fo' shizzle my nizzle"

"Bee-atch""Xtreme" anything

"Twisty, technical single-track" (for bike trails)

oh, and "amplitude" for snowboarding.

C

"you know what I'm sayin"
"now that's what I'm talkin' about"

"Do the math"

"Better then a hay bag"

"Whatever""You're not listening" (That's precisely why we're still married) heh, heh

The single most over-used expression in all of sports..."We/He/They/She really stepped up tonight and took the game to a new level!"

E

"Bugger me blind with a two-by-four!" Or do you have that one in the States?

:),
emski.

"United we stand" can usually get a cringe and eye roll from me.

Maybe not catch phrases but crutch phrases I hate...

"This is true."

"...but the fact of the matter is..."

"...sends a clear message..."

"...is a step in the right direction..." [Usually follows "Doesn't (solve the problem), but..." and is most often used when some politicians have created some minor program to address some major problem]

"Actually," [My own crutch word]

And my favorite bit of bad script dialog:

"You just don't get it, do you?"

Useless as tits on a bowl
Blowing chunks

T

On 2003-06-19 00:14, woofmutt wrote:

"Actually," [My own crutch word]

I actually believe that the word "Actaully" is actually is most over-used and miss-used word in the English language, Actually!

T

I meant to add this to my last post...

I F-N hate it when people put thier hands up when they are talking and use the little "finger quote" thing... you know like they are quoting something! When I see that it makes me want to stab babies!!!

Thanks I feel better now.

E

"In your face!"
"You want a piece of me?"
"Yes!!!"24/7/365"

(insert retching noises here), emspace.

M

I feel like this thread is like a giant minefield. If one of these phrases pops out of my mouth at the wrong time in front of the wrong person, I'm gonna get my ass kicked. Cripes. I usually say many of the above things in a ironic/sarcastic way, so don't take it too seriously!

But, I have to agree with the post about "thinking outside the box" Grrr....that really makes my skin crawl, too.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, "proactive" is awful.

-martin

E

People have already listed two of my current top three: "think outside the box" (which soon will spur me to kick people) and "my bad."

Third is "It's not rocket science."

[ Edited by: Erika on 2003-06-19 12:20 ]

"You want to put that where?"

T

Farts isn't it as useless...on a Bull?

T

"like"

I love to make fun of people (usually teenagers) who use the term "literally" figuratively, as in "Like, when I spilled that drink at the party, I literally died of embarassment!!!!!!!"

H

The literally thing drives me nuts, too! It is usually a good source of amusement, though. I was at a special screening of "This is Cinerama" a few months ago, and before the movie started, a presenter was giving a little history of Cinerama. While describing the declining audience numbers, he said "the audiences were going down the toilet, literally." My friend and I couldn't hold it in, we busted out laughing.

S

"that's wacked!"

S

"that's wacked!"

S

"that's wicked-e wicked-e wacked"

Here's a few more:

"Funky Fresh"
"Shabby Chic"

"I need closure" when discussing some personal trauma. For example, after my friend's married boyfriend went back to his wife and child, she kept calling him, saying she "needed closure." (I said she needed her head examined)

"Eames Era"

"L@@K!"

On 2003-06-19 18:42, cynfulcynner wrote:

"Eames Era"

"L@@K!"

How about "rare"

H

It's not a catch phrase, but I've never met a sentence I liked that started with the putrid phrase "I'm not racist, but..."

:music: Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding :music:

On 2003-06-19 17:39, sungod wrote:
"that's wacked!"

I believe the term is actually "wack" as opposed to "wacked". But that doesn't make it any less annoying.

S

Hey hanford, "my bad"

True dat.

"I'm pregnant"

But seriously folks, the one that really pisses me off is 'solutions'. As in 'we offer a range of office solutions' - like what - chairs? desks? 'Network solutions' - what - a server? Gah!!

Trader Woody
Oh, and 'logistics'. What ever happened to simple trucking firms? It's all 'logistics' nowadays

I couldn't believe it when I saw one of those "Logistics" trucks this afternoon. I kept staring at it, thinking "what do they MEAN?" until I became quite annoyed.

M

Oh, Woody & Vixen. Because they're far more than merely trucking companies. The modern third party logistics provider (or 3PL) provides a seamless integrated solution to your supply chain management needs. The application of centralized management and control strengthens the continuity and consistency of our operations and our logistical processes, allowing us to provide consistent, quality service. Centralized management supported by our state-of-the-art communications systems is the key to Pacer Global Logistics' ability to provide Total Customer Satisfaction.

Want to learn more about Total Customer Satisfaction?

Pacer Global Logistics is committed to being a "world class" provider of transportation and logistics management programs. To achieve this distinction, we provide quality services that meet or exceed the expectation of our customers, resulting in "Total Customer Satisfaction."

This brief statement reflects the feelings of every employee at Pacer Global Logistics. From the senior management to our newest employee, our focus on customer satisfaction is complete.

In order to make the quality process work, Pacer Global Logistics invests heavily in the training and development of its personnel. Our holistic approach to personnel development has produced a motivated work force that is capable and willing to exercise the empowerment delegated to them. Our integrated team concept provides them with the framework to do their job right, the first time and every time.

Pacer Global Logistics is actively involved in Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) of its processes and procedures and applies this same process to the analysis of our vendors' performance. Under our ISO 9002 Certification, CQI is a major component of process improvement. Our CQI program pulls together all elements associated with process improvement into a controlled systems environment. Our objective is to ensure that our customers' freight is handled properly, and efficiently, in accordance with their instructions, each and every time.

Service reliability and on-time performance are critical elements of our customers' logistics management programs. All carrier service performance is monitored and reported monthly. Carriers who fail to meet our standards or fail to correct their deficiencies are replaced.

In other words, we move shit from point A to point B and we try not to drop it.

This is my employer. This should clearly explain why I drink so much.

Ew! Ew! Ew! Thanks for posting that -- you just reminded my why it's SO IMPORTANT that I try to find a job in biology.

wherever you land up humuhumu - you end up having to be a good "team member" yuck.

I'm sure they meant for the phrase "Total Customer Satisfaction" to be spoken aloud while you hold up two fingers on each hand. Air quotes don't translate well to the written page.

T

While we seem to be on a corporate and work trend.

In last weeks meeting, my boss made everyone write this down on a piece of paper 25 times.

If I'm not part of the solution, I am part of the problem

by the way TODAY is my LAST day of work there! :D

C

Leave him a note that says:

You are not the solution, it's not my problem.

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies