Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Annoying Catch Phrases

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

D

I not only hate several of the catch phrases that have been discussed here, I absolutely DESPISE the catch phrases or catch 'tones' that are incorporated in advertising. For example the 'tones' or 'chimes' that accompany the Intel or Sprint ads. I also can't stand the musical accent followed by the phrase 'Hit It!' that is used for the tag in all of the recent Dodge ads. It's completely disgusting to think that the Madison Ave. geeks that work on this stuff actually resort to this shallow Pavlovian dog techniqueas a way to get their audience to respond. It's pretty sick! The sad part is that I guess it actually works. As you can see, I remembered it. Will it get me to buy the product...no.

Nothing personal, but....ad people suck!

What ever happened to 'Mama Mia! Thatsa spicy meatballa!'

Speaking of heinous ad sounds, any other fossils remember these?

K

Take a puff & let me do my stuff.

Fossils r us

Man, I've always hated this one: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

and then the inevitable follow up - "have you been drinking tonight?" and the coup de gras - "please step out of the car sir". AAAAAH. Whew, it was all a dream.

This reminds me of the Drew Carey bit about getting back at traffic cops when it's raining.
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yeah, do you know why I ran the stop sign?"

On 2003-10-31 22:56, thebaxdog wrote:
Eat me

On 2003-10-26 08:52, TikiGoddess wrote:
I hate the phrase "pardon my French" which usually follows an expletive of some sort.

I believe that's been changed to "pardon my Freedom."

"No, I know" is the new "like, ya know."

TC

2 that drove me crazy when i lived in london were ...

at the end of the day

&

value for money.

at the end of the day

ACK, I know what you mean! You could play a drinking game with that phrase, watching BBCAmerica DIY shows. Especially anything with Linda Barker.

On 2003-11-01 13:15, purple jade wrote:
You could play a drinking game with that phrase, watching BBCAmerica DIY shows.

My dear, life in the U.K. IS a drinking game!

"on your nickle" or "on your dime."

get offa there! reserved for jefferson and roosevelt!

"Do you want fries with that?" If I hear this in the (non fast food)workplace one more time I am going to go bananas! (how's that for a saying no one has used since 1969)

"puh-lease"

UJ

I thought of this yesterday, it's more than a thought than a phrase.
"If it's funny in the movies, it doesn't mean it will be funny coming from your mouth."

OR my favorite:

"You know why actors are paid to be funny?
So you won't"

This goes for "YEAH BABY!" "NOT!" and the like. Which i know those two examples are from Mike Myers. I have no beef with him, love his stuff. It's funny when it comes from his mouth, not yours.

"Any-who..."

AAArrrgh! I have ALWAYS hated that!

Oh, I forgot this one: "yadda yadda yadda." I despise this saying. It's so five years ago. hey, I just killed two birds with one stone. (actually that one belongs in the endearing category)

"No soup for you" is getting long in de tooth too.

Refund Anticipation Loan......I saw this on a office window today. Gotta love it.

Z

Maybe not a catchphrase, but "ill-gotten gains" has popped up a lot lately, in news reports, and coincidentally on dramas.
Why don't I have any ill-gotten gains? Dang morals!

How about when somebody says 'Call me' and they put their hand up to their ear with the index and pinky finger out like making a telephone. It's so Studio City and so passe'! How about 'passe'?

Here's my worst 'synergy'!!!! God after 20 years in corporate america I'll puke if I ever hear that one again.

May grandmother used to say things like, "Now you're cooking with gas" and "Heavens to Mergatroid" and "You're fulla baloney". I like those.

Here's one somebody said in a meeting at work one time - "Now let's all put on our thinking caps." I wanted to slap him. I think I laughed out loud.

"Just F.Y.I."

"How YOU doin'?" - ala Joey on Friends

"I'm SO not a fan of..."

B

"Wow! 179 Users right now! Can that be right?"

H

"sort of"

H

"I dont have a problem with that"

S

"Going forward..." and all such management-speak.

"fo sheezy"

"I'm all about (fill in the blank) up in here"

"Revolutionary new product, part of system in three easy payments..."

"Gidder dun!"

Stormwatch. Sick of it.

And Exclusive Live Dopplar Radar.

On 2005-02-25 18:10, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
And Exclusive Live Dopplar Radar.

--especially when you're in an area where it hardly ever rains.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Feb 26, 2005 8:49 AM

Any revolutionary new "system"."It's not a toupee! It's a scalp covering system!!!"

On 2005-02-26 08:49, JTD wrote:
Any revolutionary new "system".

I can't stand "system" or "solution," especially when used in infomercials!

If I hear one more singer referred to as a "DIVA" I'm gonna blow chunks.

J
JTD posted on Mon, Feb 28, 2005 12:52 PM

SWJ,
It's already worse. "Diva" has expanded into other, non-music, areas. There's now a woman being referred to as the "Cake Diva" on FoodTV. Aack!

[ Edited by: JTD on 2005-02-28 12:53 ]

M

"Bling"

makeover

"Process Based Methodology"
"Performance Metrics"
"Define ISO Requirements"
" It will be our task to establish individual departmental metrics to measure Quality, Timeliness/Delivery, Efficiency/Cost and Cycle Time for the unique work our departments perform."

K
kctiki posted on Fri, Mar 4, 2005 3:34 PM

I'm so sorry you had to sit thru that Frederick. Please tell me someone dumped a pitcher of ice water over this idiot's head!

RR

"Fire Storm 2005" Or "Fire Storm 2004" or ...

I heard this one today today, "She's happier than a pig in poop!" Not annoying but funny and typical for the region I live in.

I'm fond of using "dumber than a bag of hair". Or a bag of hammers.

lifestyle

to quote george carlin, "if you want to realize what a ridiculous word 'lifestyle' is, consider the fact that technically speaking, attila the hun had an active, outdoor lifestyle."

On 2005-03-18 07:17, Johnny Dollar wrote:
lifestyle

....especially when it applies to "swinging." Ecch.

"I'm Lovin' It"

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies