Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Annoying Catch Phrases

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies

On 2003-06-20 12:31, tikimug wrote:
If I'm not part of the solution, I am part of the problem

No, if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate. :lol:

Annoying catch phrases I'm tired of hearing:

"You drink to much!"
"Are you drunk again?"
"Why do you feel the need to drink so much?"
"Are you going to the strip club again!?!"

"They pelted us with rocks and garbage".

Martiki:

My God. That was Horrible.

Now I need a drink!!!

Hmmm. I wonder if writing that crap pays better than, ah, implementing it.

Besides, I suspect being drunk would aid greatly in the creation of doubletalk drivel.

pondering CQI in all things,

tikivixen

M

Wow, I just noticed that they put "world class" in quotes. Hmmm...Is it not really world class?

As long as you remember to put the cover sheet on your TPS report....

On 2003-06-20 14:28, martiki6 wrote:
As long as you remember to put the cover sheet on your TPS report....

Office Space!

Another annoying one:
"Ask yourself - is it good for the company?"

A

One that really bugs me is "If you could..." as a way of asking for a favor or assigning a task. As in the manager who says "If you could get these reports to me by noon" and leaves it dangling like that. Then what? Then you'll have one less task to do yourself? Why not just have the guts to say "please do this."

Unfortunately, I think I use this a lot too with people I manage, which makes me a rotten stinker. In fact I think I use a lot of the catch phrases listed here, which is really embarrassing.

-Randy

J

Here's another one...

"Waiting ON line." - Is that the 21st century equivalent of waiting IN line? Are you trying to prove that you're so technologically savvy that you can't separate your real life from the time you spend behind your computer?? I f-ing hate that!

T

Have fun!

Come on. DON'T be telling me to have fun if I'm not having fun or don't wish to be having fun at the moment!

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:10 ]

OK, how about this ... the tendency some people (mostly in the business world) have of usurping non-verbs and using them as verbs.

For example: I lateraled from one company to another.

On 2003-06-20 14:28, martiki6 wrote:
Wow, I just noticed that they put "world class" in quotes. Hmmm...Is it not really world class?

And "world famous". You can live 2 streets awy from a place and never have heard about their "world famous" [insert terminally obscure product here].

Actually, the romantic in me actually kind of likes 'world famous'. Perhaps it's the whole 'little guy against the world' deal. It beats 'synergy', at least.

Trader Woody

T

I cannot STAND 'Solutions', and trust me, in the ad biz, EVERY client wants us to make them an ad that says they provide 'solutions'. I'm eagerly awaiting my next beer brief - perhaps it will ask us to tell folks that X brand beer provides 'thirst solutions', hahah! Or 'sobriety solutions'.

Also, a few days ago I heard my old boss say, in all seriousness, 'You Go Girl!!!' to someone on her cell phone, which makes me SOOO glad I quit that joint.

"Bridezilla"
I thought this was funny the first time I saw it, but the last 7,000,000,000 times killed that.

"And you can take that to the Bank" - Robert (Baretta) Blake.

(that and "honey, wait here in the car. I forgot my gun at the restaurant")

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-06-24 13:01 ]

"Is that a tiki in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"
I get this one all the time. :)

T

That movie "A Mighty Wind" plays up on all of this...

"Whaaa Hapuuuuhhhh"?

Wot a riot. Go see it.

Also, note that the three guys in the band are played by the same three actors, playing the same instruments, as Spinal Tap.

Cool nod to Tap.

But, yeah, that catch phrase guy in the movie is a hoot.

Anyone here know what I mean?

Bueller... Bueller...
:)

My co-worker while talking, just reminded me of a few more (because she actually used these)...

When talking about something that happened a long time ago -- "back in the day"

When asking for a reply -- "holla back"

C

"Its all good" and "Surf Etiquette"
Both of those expresssions bug the crap out me.
Chongolio
P.S. I will probally start using "Kiss my ass in Macy's window"

P

On 2003-06-19 00:14, woofmutt wrote:
Maybe not catch phrases but crutch phrases I hate...

"This is true."

"...but the fact of the matter is..."

"...sends a clear message..."

Drives me crazy when people say "Quite honestly...(insert lie here)"

"Bling Bling"

S

Its not the heat, its the humidity.

Right back at ya!

Any pickup line used by a man wearing a toupee or a plaid jacket.

This may seem to hard to believe but in the pirate world the phrase "argh" is totally overused.

Its not the heat, its the humidity.

HA! You ARE from Louisiana!
But isn't it more often "It's not the heat, it's the stupidity"?

S

That's why I talk to myself - Its the only way I'm assured of intelligent conversation!

TK

"on the same page"
"24-7""at the end of the day"

"Attention Southeastern U.S. Progressives"

I'm getting sooooooo tired of seeing that post, that the above is now one of my new annoying catch phrases.

K

peeps
wassup
brothaz
wit
happnin'
dis
"I'm naked on my web cam right now, click here"

T

Let me piggyback on what she just said... (and then to make matters worse, the person says the exact same thing!)
And
That really resonates with me.

Ugh!

C

"fo' real" (usually said repeatedley from beginning, through middle, to end of story)
"____ arc"
"synergistic""nesting","empty nesters" - any nest reference
"we need to grow our audience"
"key"

I miss "Frankie say RELAX","Everybody Wang Chung Tonight", and "I'll Tumble For Ya"

[ Edited by: Chacha on 2003-08-22 15:33 ]

On 2003-06-24 05:13, tikifish wrote:
I cannot STAND 'Solutions', and trust me, in the ad biz, EVERY client wants us to make them an ad that says they provide 'solutions'... quote]

I agree TikiFish, I work in the sign industry and it annoys the mess out of me when a client (esply a start-up company) wants to use the tag line: "your one stop shop for your "blah-blah" needs".

It was mentioned earlier about "being part of the solution" My boss actually had the balls to put a sign up in the plant (our parent company makes gun cases... long story)
The sign reads: "If 'can't' is in your vocabulary, then you are the problem".

I agree with everyone's old one-liners. They are all over used. Current slang terms are so rediculous, it really shows that our education system is failing. Either that or there's something in the water.

I hate the word 'surf' used to mean anything other than carving up perfect, glassy A-frames (ah... real surfing that is).

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 5:01 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 22:59 ]

On 2003-10-22 17:01, SES wrote:
"AXE"
when they mean "ASK"

Ooh, I suggest staying far away from N.O. then, you'll be apoplectic in ten minutes.

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 6:26 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 22:59 ]

think outside the box - I happen to like my "box" and when I die you can bury me in it!

T

"Fo shizzle my nizzle" or any word ending in izzle

"Bootylicious"

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 3:00 AM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 23:00 ]

On 2003-10-22 20:41, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
I happen to like my "box"

I'm rather fond of mine too...heh, heh.

E

I just got fired from a company called CRS Inc., for Custom Retail Solutions, Inc.

Their slogan: "CRS solutions = savings solutions". Is it just me or is there at least one redundancy in there?

em.

E

P.S. no big f***ing loss, so nobody has to say they're sorry for me.

emski.

J
JTD posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 4:10 PM

On 2003-10-25 03:00, SES wrote:

Even sizzle and drizzle?
I like sizzle!
:wink:

And let's not forget "swizzle" - an essential word for the tiki tribe!

-JTD

T

I meant words that end in izzle that normally don't.

TikiPizzle

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 5:55 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 23:00 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 5:56 PM

On 2003-10-25 15:51, emspace wrote:
P.S. no big f***ing loss, so nobody has to say they're sorry for me.
emski.

One door closes another one opens, hopefully it leads to a better place!

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 25, 2003 5:58 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2003-12-27 23:01 ]

I hate the phrase "pardon my French" which usually follows an expletive of some sort. Also the following mostly business-speak terms have got to go:
"I have too much on my plate"
"Are we on the same page?"
"Are we all on board?"
"Im not married to it" when discussing an idea
"Company X is IN BED WITH Company Y on the deal" I hate that!
And "yadda yadda yadda." If I hear that one more time I will "literally" die
"and things of that nature," which is usually said by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.
Ok, people, Im on a roll, here are a few more I cant stand: Ear candy, head candy, brain candy, arm candy. AAARRGGHHH.
And one more: the use of the term "rock" or "rocks" to describe anything other than a band. "You rock!" "Dinner at Bennigans Rocks!" No, it doesnt, are we on the same page?

Emspace - Nothing succeeds like success! So let's roll up our shirt sleeves, put our noses to the grind stone and get down to business. Time is money. - an excerpt from my new book entitled "Motivational Speaking For Dummies"
available now wherever fine books are sold.

Pages: 1 2 3 140 replies