Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2012 Sacramento Capital Tiki Living Space Tour (Oct 12,13,14) PICTURES start pg6

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

ATTENTION SACRAMENTO TIKI CRAWLERS (October 12,13,14)...please message me with your name and email address if you need the Crawl addresses. I finalized the schedule with the addresses and phone numbers (which we will not be posting) but I will send them to you via email.
Vamp (Marlene)

===================================================================================
Greetings, fellow Tikiphiles, we are excited to announce our 7th Annual Sacramento Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour. We are also partnering with Ohana South of Sacramento (SOS) to add a 3rd day (Friday).

Please RSVP in this thread so we can estimate attendance as there will be no registration this year. We would like to know specifically which days you are crawling.

Wendy's mug is off the hook as usual and is a limited edition. Please sign up in this thread for the mug so she can add you to the appropriate list.

FRIDAY 10/12/12
SOS & BEYOND DAY (South of Sacramento & Other Locations)
10:15am-11:45am = Vic Phillips/Turlock (Trader's Jungle Outpost)
12:15-2:00pm = Minnies for Brunch/Modesto
2:45pm-3:45pm = Greg's/Stockton (Cannibal Cocktail Club)
4:30pm-6:30pm = Darilyn's/Elk Grove-pool (Kohana Wahine Lounge)
7:30pm-11pm = Alan & Melissa's/Carmichael (Mt. Ubangee)

SATURDAY 10/13/12
CASH & SPLASH DAY
10am-12pm = Lauren's store (Swanbergs on J Street)
12:30pm-2:30pm = Brad & Melanie's (The Alohacurrents)
3pm-6pm = Matt Hull's-pool (Rugger's Reef) Swim & Tiki Market Place
6:30pm-10:30pm = Marlene Cross (VampTiki Lounge) Tribute to Sinatra

10/14/12
SUNDAY TIKI WORSHIP DAY
11am-1pm = Shane McDaid (Forbidden Orchid Tiki Lounge)
1:30pm-3:30pm = Lauren Lundsten's home & pool (Laurens Tiki Bar & Cantina)
4pm-8pm = Brenda & Scott's (Brenda's Tiki Hut)

MUG = by Wendy Cevola (see Wendy's posts below to sign up)

MARKETPLACE @ Matt Hull's
You are all welcome to bring your Tiki related items for sale (bring your own table)

LIST OF SACRAMENTO CAPITAL TIKI BAR/LIVING SPACE TOUR CRAWLERS
(please send me a pm if you need your name(s) edited or you are missing from the list)

Dan & Wendy (Fri,Sat,Sun)
The Blue Kahuna/Greg & Gale (Fri,Sat,Sun)
Marlene & Mom (Sat eve,Sun as possible)
Sandy (Sat,Sun)
Diana & Duane (Fri AM)
Matt Hull
Brad & Melanie
Darilyn Ruth
Brenda & Scott
Marone Tiki/Monty & Debbie
Alan & Melissa (Fri,Sat, Sun)
Liz (Brad & Melanie's/Sat)
Laura Riley
Nelson & Mary Parker
Mike & Alia (?Fri, Sat, Sun)
Steve Soto (Sat, Sun)
jdseeks/Jim & Julie
Mr. Aloha-Brian Faulkner & Wife (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Dr. Tikimojo-Dave & Eva (Fri)
Terri and Tom Coleman (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Revcole & Jenny (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Cathie Wartelle (Fri, Sat, Sun)
David Foster-abstractiki (Fri)
Jorge & Ellen Garcia (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Ilsa Hess (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Sean Klein (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Aquatic Safarinaut-John & guest (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Tikitastic-Mark Holt (Fri, Sat, Sun)
Miss Monk-ii-Maggie & J (Fri, Sat, Sun)
David Zook-Moai Nui & guest (various stops)
slowhandtikiman-Rob (Sat afternoon & evening)

POSSIBLE (if available)
Anthony & Kaitlin
Tiki Tonja/Bill & Tiki Fig

**HOTEL INFORMATION**

Rocklin Area  
http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/searchResults.do?jsk=344b050a364b050a20120903232235dcf010230383&key=h6o72ppu&showDP=y

Sacramento Area  
http://www.hotels.com/search/search.html?nr=1&r=2&rl=destination%3A1476323%3APROVIDED%3APROVIDED&so=PRICE&vt=LIST&gclid=CJ-M-orHmrICFWThQgodlB0AhA

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sacramento/citizen/

[ Edited by: VampiressRN  2012-10-13 14:54 ]

Hello crawling to Northern California tikiphiles. I started the crawl mug last night. If it works out I'll start to share photos here and on my "other crafts" thread soon. Right now it's a mess. Cheers, Wendy

Debbie and I plan on attending. Wendy, Please sign me up for a mug, of course.

C

in for a Mug Wendy.

Will stoke the fires of Mt. Ubangee for everyone.

I'll keep the list for the mugs on this post. This will help me know how many I should make.

Attending these numbers are not assigned. It is first come first serve. So try to come on Friday for the lowest numbered mugs.

These numbers are only for me to know how many to make for the event plus some for out of towners.
1.Marone Tiki
2.Chop Top
3.The Blue Kahuna
4.Dan Cevola
5.Brenda's Tiki Hut
6.Scott
7.VampiressRN
8.Sandy
9.alohacurrent
10.LiddleLola
11.thequin
12.bavtech
13.RugbyMatt
14.WSWahini requests #13 mug if possible
15.TikiHula
16.anthonymaye
17.Steve Soto
18.jdseeks
19.Aquatic Safarinaut
20.TikiTNT
21.Mr.Aloha
22.Dr.Tiki Mojo
23.Cathie Wartelle
24. Mystery Man
25. Savage Tiki
26. Joanne
27. Miss Monk-ii

Not Attending but hoping for a left over mug.
Eric Banks
dartharnie
Moai Mike
Q-tiki

People are signing up for the crawl mug there. So I'm making two lists in order. One for those who attend and one for those who don't but would like a left over mug. Eric Banks is number one on that list.

We always try to do a mug based on a tiki place that once existed in Sacramento. The first year it was the Zombie Hut/ Coral Reef. Last year was a Tiki Bob decanter. This year will be Hawaiian Hut.

See Psycho Tiki D's thread on this place.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40039&forum=2

Here are photos of roughing it out to match the menu cover.

Because molding is hard I'll make the lei for each mug by hand after casting.

It will have West Sacramento on the front. On the back I'd like to put on this hut and palm trees (the upside down view).

I think this will keep the look vintage.

What do you think?

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-09-25 14:55 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-10-04 12:24 ]

Hi Wendy, Maronetiki is Monty

Mug me Wendy! No really mug me! :)

Hi Monty, my columns ran together when submitted. I just changed them to one after the other. Gotcha Blue Kahuna. Wendy

Wendy can you please put me down for 1 mug.

I will be coming to Brad and Melanie's for sure :)

Thanks and its already looking great!

On 2012-07-17 08:26, danlovestikis wrote:
Hello crawling to Northern California tikiphiles. I started the crawl mug last night. If it works out I'll start to share photos here and on my "other crafts" thread soon. Right now it's a mess. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, sign me up for one and Scott for one as well.

Wendy...awesome as always!!! Please put me down for one and sure Sandy will want one too.

Hi Friends, I've fine tuned the front some and here's a photo update. Wendy

Luv it!

Still life 2012. Hope you can make it. Heard there's a surf thing going Saturday, so we're going with that. Dan, put us down for one of Wendy's killer creations.

[ Edited by: alohacurrent 2012-07-19 22:23 ]

[ Edited by: alohacurrent 2012-07-19 22:23 ]

Hi friends, for the back of the mug I've copied the matchbook. I have to pull objects closer together so that molding will work.

I'm fine tuning the front as I go.

I can see that the shape of the huge lei is off, I'll fix it some. Again I've compressed for molding. Here I had to put the West on top of Sacramento.

My plan with this mug is to hand carve tapa down the sides and across the bottom under the hut. Each mug will be done by hand so there will be variations. I will also add the lei around her neck before firing. Once the base glaze is finished I'll hand paint each mug adding background color and the woman's face. Busy busy busy. Cheers, Wendy

Wonderful work, Wendy! Looking forward to the drinking out of the finished product.

Oh I will need one of those myself.
Looking great Wendy.

Darilyn

Oh, magnifique, can't wait . . . here we go again with the anticipation thing! Looking goooooood Wendy!

T

Tiki Tonja and Tiki Fig plan on attending. Wendy, please sign us up for one of your great creations!

Bill

Just a touch more carving to match the match book. Cheers, Wendy

The mug master successfully fired. Next up making the molds.

I will add a lot of hand carving and painting to this mug to jazz it up.

Cheers, Wendy

PS Marlene could you add to the header that I'm taking orders by messages here or PM's. I need to know how many to make.

B

Hi Everyone.... Me and my wife would love plan to attend the crawl. Put us on the list Marlene.

Wendy... You know to put my name down for one of mugs!

Wendy,please put me down for a mug this year. Mahalo

Wendy,please put me down for a mug this year. Mahalo

Thank you Matt and Nelson, I've added your names. Wendy

Progress Report:

Yesterday while the kiln fired we worked on making two molds of the Sacramento Ohana crawl mug due in October.

I took a short cut using the blank mold to hold the bisque hardened master mug.

Next after deciding where the widest point of the mug was and drawing a line I built up the clay to that line and added mold locks. I extended the end to the top of the mold.

I put the box on and added the clay to all the seams to prevent leaks. Then I used mold soap so that the mold will come off.

After the first piece hardened it was removed. Now I took off the clay and the plastic wrap that protected the back side.

At this point the front had a mold piece on it and we have done the back side. We took it off and prepared to start on the second mold.

Mold number two. We now molded the back for a second time.

We took it apart to see how it was going. Three pieces down one more front piece to make. We are very happy because no matter what we have one good mold. We are soooo tired.

It was all downhill after that. First Dan says it's leaking but didn't put the bucket back to catch it so we had to fix the leak and mix another batch.

Then I remembered that I hadn't used the mold soap before we poured in the plaster. Would there be enough left from the last pour? It was stuck. I trimmed the sides trying to get it out.

That didn't work so I just hit it with the rubber mallet. I should have had Dan catch the mug but I didn't so it crashed on the floor.

The good news is that I only lost a couple of letters that I can carve back in on each mug.

We ended up with two good molds that are now drying in the sun.

It was a good day after all. Thanks for taking the journey with us. Now I need to find my maniac...man and get to work.

Cheers, Wendy

PS Dan did a good job mopping but I forgot to take a photo_______________

Thanks for all your wonderful pictures Wendy & Dan. The mug rocks!!!

T

Woohooo, looks like we'll be in town for the crawl this year. Alia and I will be there on at least Saturday and Sunday - hopefully Friday too.

Looks like an amazing mug, Wendy and Dan. Put us down for one.

mahalo

Thank you Vamp and Tiki Hula.

Today we poured the mug molds for the first time. Tomorrow we'll take them out and check to see if it worked.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-02 10:07 ]

I would love one of the crawl mugs. And can't wait to meet you and every one at the crawl.

[ Edited by: anthonymaye 2012-08-02 21:05 ]

Thanks anthonymaye you are on the list. We look forward to meeting you at the crawl. Wendy

Progress Report:

Menu from the long gone Hawaiian Hut that was in West Sacramento.

The Sacramento Crawl mug. The first two came out of the molds yesterday.

They are rough and need a lot of fine tuning.

Mold line are bad because I had to dig the original out of the molds.

I decided to carry on the carving around the mug. All done by hand. I still need to fine tune the words at the bottom.

These will be glazed and hand painted.

On the first two I'll use to find the right glaze and paint colors. They are missing one element. I forgot to add the lei around the girls neck after taking it out of the mold. I'll remember on the rest of them. Any one can ask to be on the left-overs list. Those who attend get them first.

They are gonna be exquisite! To me they have a real early '50s vibe, what time period was the Hut open for business? See ya soon Wendy!

The Blue Kahuna - thank you. The only information I have comes from
Psycho Tiki D's thread here on Tiki Central. Check it out.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40039&forum=2

and in that thread he sends us to one on the Zombie Hut which my first Crawl mug was based on.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37968&forum=2&vpost=595424&hilite=Zombie Hut

Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-04 08:24 ]

Wendy Sac Crawl Mugs...COLLECT THEM ALL!!!

This one is turning out great too...kudos to you and Dan for all your hard work. Looking forward to seeing the glaze when you get to that step.

Hi VampiressRN, For fun I'll take a photo of the three lined up when I have the tests completed.

I've got two in the kiln that I'll test glaze, these two drying in the shed and two more in the mold.

Cheers, Wendy

S

YIKES! I can't believe I missed this post!

Please put me down for a mug and attendance at everything...

Mahalo, Steve

Hi Steve, I've added your name to the list, thank you. What a fun party last night. It was fantastic to see everyone.

When we got home we went to work.

We poured two more crawl mugs.

I added the lines to these two that were now leather hard.

I added Sac Ohana Crawl to the bottoms.

Now its time to do more. Wendy

J

My wife Julie and I would love to attend the Sacramento tiki tour for the first time. The mug is fantastic!!! Please sign us up for one. Mahalo!

-Jim

Hi Jim and Julie, contact VampiressRN with a personal message. She'll get you on the list for messages. If you are not part of the Sacramento Ohana page on facebook ask to have that activated too. This is a great group of people and we have lots of fun together. It will be terrific to have you join. Wendy

Two at a time the numbers are growing. Thanks for all the orders.

This shows how they shrink as they dry. Then they shrink again during the first firing.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2012-08-09 21:22 ]

MA

Aloha. Hopefully it is not too late for my wife and I to sign up for the crawl and a mug. It'll be our first time as well. Mahalo. PS Your artistry is amazing. I'm a little bummed that I missed out on prior years.

My wife and I are thinking of making a weekend out of it and doing all 3 days, could anyone please suggest a nice B&B or hotel to stay in? Mahalo!!

[ Edited by: Mr. Aloha 2012-08-13 14:57 ]

Please include Eva and I for the weekend and 1 mug!
For all I know we may be living in the Sacramento area by October....but that's more like 2013
Since we didn't get to do Oasis or any of this year's events maybe we'll find a cool hotel, spend 3 days and have Oasis North!!

I like the Woodlake hotel. It's centrally located and has a real nice vibe. Get a room on the lake if you can.
http://www.radissonsac.com/

Darilyn

MA

Mahalo LiddleLola. That place looks great. Unfortunately, due to work and other commitments, my wife and I are only going to be able to do Saturday this year.

Mr.Aloha and Dr.TikiMojo you have both been put on the mug list. Thank you!

Progress Report:

Each day we are able to pour 2 mugs.

I clean off the mold lines and cut off the excess in the garage.

Then I move the work to the family room where there is a TV.

I fine tune the sculpture, add my name and Sac Ohana Crawl to the bottom and carve all the lines around the mug.

I have 16 of the run drying and two in molds ready to open today.

Thank you for keeping me busy. Our crawl is so much fun. I love being a part of its history. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, I'm really digging the mug this year! It's fabulous, just like you! Thank you for your lovely tribute the our crawl each year.

Hi Sacramento Ohana and all of our friends. September is here. That means I better get these crawl mugs finished. I've got 20 out of the kiln. So soon I'll glaze a couple and hand paint the detail so you can see the finished product. At that time I'll come up with the price. It will not be more than $80.

Please post a message on this thread if you would like a mug and I'll add you to the list. Soon I'll be stopping production of the mugs so I can concentrate on glazing them.

We are so excited for this crawl. VampiressRN/Marlene you are doing a fabulous job to pull this off.

Brenda thank you so much. We are fond of this mug. I hope I can do it justice when I add the cold paint. Wish me luck. Cheers, Wendy

Hi Ohana and friends, we continue to pour and to build the inventory. My goal is to have 40 mugs Made for the crawl. In addition I may have a few specials unless Dan swipes them for his work.

12 more drying, it is getting close to the 40.

This year Dan's name will join mine on the bottom of the mug. He's helped me every day. I love this man, 35 years of bliss!

I should be able to show you a finished mug with a price by September 14th. That is my goal.

Cheers, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies