Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

ATP is Old, Angry & Ranting!

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies

Why is it now considered rude,To say that you don't like something?

Why can't we have an opinion without so many people shitting themselves?

If you don't like the way I look, Why are you looking at me?

If a Comedian say's something bat-shit crazy, Why do we get all bent out of shape
when it is their job to say crazy bat-shit?

Why do Politicians get a free ride when they say bat-shit crazy things?

Why is your face so red?

Tiki was conceived for "adults" as an adult past time, So why do you insist on bringing your kids to the bar?

Please tell your brat to put down my Munktiki mug!
No, he can't have a virgin Mai Tai!

If you don't like the way I look, Why are you looking at me?

If that ain't Punk, I don't know what is!! :lol:

On 2012-07-17 02:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
...No, he can't have a virgin Mai Tai!

Wouldn't that just be a little lime juice, some syrup and a mint sprig? Yuk :lol:

I'm still trying to figure out what that lovely woman sees in you! :D

Thanks guys, You know I love you, now get off my lawn!

Hipsters!

Time Magazine wrote this:
"Hipsters are the friends who sneer when you cop to liking Coldplay. They're the people who wear t-shirts silk-screened with quotes from movies you've never heard of and the only ones in America who still think Pabst Blue Ribbon is a good beer. They sport cowboy hats and berets and think Kanye West stole their sunglasses. Everything about them is exactingly constructed to give off the vibe that they just don't care."

Time, July 2009

Christian Lorentzen of Time Out New York calls them "The Assassins of Cool."

I see them everywhere, But what are they?

Their mode of dress has assimilated, cannibalized, regurgitated 1970s, Emo, 80s New wave, Gypsy & urban influences, while discarding everything that the styles stood for, They drive BMWs & Mercedes, They have Messy hair, Tight Jeans, Big glasses, way over priced silk screened T-Shirts & Hoodies
They pay alot of money to look thrift store & they are walking ads for Urban Outfitters.

They are in their 20s & 30s and stand for nothing, They have no Ideology or Philosophy, They like only the latest bands but not because of any musicality, but just the fact that the band is so new, they must be good.

They think they are better then everyone else, They stand for nothing & they all look exactly the same, completely devoid of any Individualism, what so ever! is that not Anti-Punk!.

The sum of these parts, iPods,iPhones & iPads, Energy drinks, Flavored Vodka's, Designer clothes meant to not look like designer clothes
ad nauseum, what does it all add up too?

Yup! just a bunch of Super Consumers.

P.S. If you like "Coldplay" you may not be a Hipster, But you still suck!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-07-17 21:32 ]

. . . piss off . . . :)

Blue Kahuna,Are you being Punk? or did you just wet yourself? :)

Just joining in the grouchiness, feels good to be in a space where it is "okay" . . . its all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Ain't that the truth! :D

That's what "Eye Patches" are for!

All "Reality" TV shows are just televised "Human Cock Fighting"
They have no intrinsic or narrative value what so ever!

They showcase the worst humanity has to offer & at the same time provide a template
that allows society to adopt behavior that once was considered aberrant.

"Breaking Bad" is the best fucking show on TV!!!

"ATP is Old, Angry & Ranting!"

well d'uh

Actually this is really cathartic!
I feel nicer already, Jeff you can hang out on my lawn for a few more minutes.....

Reminds me of a recurring column in our local alternative paper. : )

[ Edited by: The Quiet Village 2012-07-18 11:10 ]

I rarely ever chime in on TC anymore, but I must say that this thread speaks to me. Woofmut's commentary on the redundancy of topics is good, as are most of his observations, but this thread has the bite I relate to. Cheers to you sir for another thread that I get. By the way, hipsters are merely nerds that are afraid to express their "nerdiness" in the regular ways that have been stereotyped as "nerdy". They are a bit annoying simply because there is something condescending in their attitude. That is the real meat of the issue that people have with them. Pretending to be uninterested in everything is a defense mechanism that protects them from their fear of being judged for liking something, or having an interest. So glad I was at least aware enough to feel dissatisfied with things. Anyway, great thread. Keep the angry humor coming. It's working for me.

Matt, Your good people!

I am sick of lying to many of you!

What if we start being honest on Tiki Central, Instead of saying "Gee that's a nice ahem, work of art
you posted, phlegm-Tiki

How about we say what we really think, like "Oh God, My Eyes! My Eyes! please take it away"
nice try phlegm-Tiki, but don't quit your day job.

Would that really make some of you cry? could you handle it?
or do you still want me to lie to you?

I don't mean it is open season & I have have a license to be a dick, Just some straight shooting, real honesty
could we all be adults and deal with that?

I myself would prefer straight, honest answers for once, I think we should try it.

I am on pins & needles & just waiting for some douche nozzle
to say "Tiki is whatever you make it"

You might as well say "The Earth doesn't need a Moon"
And you would be the complete opposite of Einstein, The Anti-Einstein if you will.....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-07-18 23:50 ]

On 2012-07-18 22:18, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

What if we start being honest on Tiki Central, Instead of saying "Gee that's a nice ahem, work of art
you posted, phlegm-Tiki

How about we say what we really think, like "Oh God, My Eyes! My Eyes! please take it away"

I don't mean it is open season & I have have a license to be a dick, Just some straight shooting, real honesty

I myself would prefer straight, honest answers for once, I think we should try it.

Most of us here don't want to hear lying pleasantries. Its just we somehow realize that it is not a Tiki Central rule that each member has to post their opinion on every single post that appears every single day. Some times you can just not click the link to something that does not interest you.

Most of us can go to bed and sleep soundly even if there does exist those uneducated, undiscriminating souls who love the purple and yellow tikis from Big Lots. Most of us just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. Apples and oranges. We realize that not everyone needs to have the exact same opinion as us and we don't feel deep anger at thinking that differs from ours. Cue the cries of "But what about the integrity of Tiki Central?!?!?!?!" Well, the serious topics like historical photos and stuff like "Crypto mugs" tend to stay serious....and the pictures of "my kitten in a hula skirt" and "my attempt to turn a cardboard box into a tiki bar" tend to stay pretty far away from each other. They really do.

Most of us can remain civil and polite when we do decide to disagree. There are plenty of differing opinions here. Most are content to say something like "Hey its not my cup of tea and its for this reason...." and then leave it at that. Whats important are the thoughts and ideas....not grinding a person down in a personal attack because of their bad taste.

Most folks get along here amazingly well. But there are some for whom the Tiki Fan Boy rage burns red hot, who feel politeness is surrender, who feel discussion without insults is a waste of time, and feel the internet was invented for the sole purpose of taking safe pot shots at harmless people from the safety of mom's basement. Hey....I 'm just being "straight and honest for once."

Thanks for being honest, Feels good, doesn't it :wink:

But if you can tell me you never,ever wanted just to say "No" to someone
I would say you are lying.

TM

On 2012-07-18 22:18, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

you posted, phlegm-Tiki

No! I have done it, and made nothing but enemies here because of it.

Why is everbody always pickin' on me?

The morn' that I was born my old man beat up the doctor
He clocked the doctor cause the doctor said I looked like Chewbacca
The doctor said sir you're misled sir which infers you mistook me
I did not mean your lovely wife was shackin' up with a wookie
What I mean is Wolverine is less hairy than your son
He's looks like Chewie Baba Booey Baba Booey and Hong Kong Phooey all in one
To put it mild your new-born child's completely nutty fu-fu lookin'
I'd shove him back into the oven until he is done cookin'
But why's everbody always pickin' on me?
Cause my fifteen year-old cousin has less acne
Ain't brushed them teeth since 1983
Cause you got the grooming habits of a chimpanzee
Cause you're white but you got a nose like Bill Cosby
Why's everbody always pickin' on me?
Always pickin' and rippin' apart poor ol' Jimmy Pop Ali
I got a schnoz like the 'Cos' but there's a lot more wrong with you
So back me up Bill yea and you're ugly too
So what if I brush my teeth with a piece of cheddar cheese
Or where a fish net shirt by Chams with my Sergio Valenti jeans
And my mirror never lies but it always verifies
I got more cheese and pepperoni than a homemade pizza pie
You compare me to a Monchichi but I don't understand
Why I'm scorned like I'm deformed like the Elephant Man
And yea I took my mom to the prom but hey she asked me first
But at least this time I didn't find my date in the back of a hearse
About as popular with the girls with Englebert Humperdink
And that might be 'cause everybody calls me Shrinky Dink
I know I'm known as Polaroid I'm not a total retard
It's cause I'm done in sixty seconds and you'll still want it enlarged
Cause ya wore velour flares until the late Eighties
Cause you run like a girl and sit down to pee
Cause your only school chum was the lunch lady
You took your mom to the prom but still got lucky
Like that episode where Gilligan gets sick of being teased
And he breaks into the Professor's lab and makes some LSD
Peaks freaks and eats the Skipper's brains then beats Ginger with coconuts
As Mr. Howell and Lovey burn alive inside their grass hut
Oh he'll kill again that Gilligan they he should of let him be
And like a postal clerk I'll go beserk if you don't stop teasing me
See the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm
The drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm
Cause my fifteen year-old cousin has less acne
Ain't brushed them teeth since 1983
Cause you got the grooming habits of a chimpanzee
Cause you're white but you got a nose like Bill Cosby
Cause ya wore velour flares until the late Eighties
Cause you run like a girl and sit down to pee
Cause your only school chum was the lunch lady
Cause no one likes you monkey boy.

Does the earth NEED a moon? Neither Venus nor Mercury have one and they're still in orbit. There would be no tides and as an added benefit, there would be no honeymoons, no lunatics, and no moonings!

Psycho Tiki D, But where is the subtext?

Mike, now list what would happen without a Moon? I know we won't have anymore Werewolves....

the best way to preserve a knowledgeable heritage of Tiki
is to gently guide therse folks towards books or diff styles of tikis
maybe we're just second wave ol schoolers,but therer has been a slight degradation/homogenization in allowing tiki "offenses" to go unchecked...
Just do it with kindness....
as any scene grows rhis happens
but this is the generation that's going to be defining tiki
after we're gone...
so the best hope is to encourage them in a right direction
coax them towards Sven 's books or some of your favorite..
share a storyabout Lono
or the civil strife on Easter island
or about a Sepik river Spirit hook
it only takes a few minutes...

Is this the designated area for political incorrectness? What happened in Colorado was a tragedy and my heart goes out to all of those affected. But that doesn't happen in Arizona or Texas where citizens carry guns. When the coyote wants a meal he goes to the sheep pasture, he doesn't go to the lion enclosure at the zoo!

MDM, as a 60 year resident of Tucson, I partially agree with you, but it did happen here in Tucson, not 2 blocks from where I work. Idiot Laughner shot and killed 6 people, and wounded many others, including a congresswoman. I think the key fact is, if someone is equipped to protect himself and others, is he at the right place and the right time. Many things have to come together for the conditions to happen. I've owned and sometimes carried guns all my life, but being in the right place at the right time is a fleeting thing. I know I'm oversimplifying it but I think that could happen anywhere.

Agreed. In this case, it would have taken someone who goes armed to a midnight opening of a movie (?) to instantly recognize the situation (witnesses have said they thought it was part of the movie somehow or a practical joke) and then draw their weapon and hit a target in a dark, crowded movie theater obscured by tear gas. Good luck with that.

Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming but I can already hear the cries to ban all guns. I don't even own one but I like that I COULD if I wanted to. I don't want to get in trouble by turning this into a political discussion of gun control :D Now returning you to ATP's rant

I welcome others rants

I have been slammed with work all week and missed the news story you are talking about
so let me do some research, Before I reply......

Wow! Another example of one (Crazy Fucker) persons actions affecting & destroying
so many others lives, People are so quick to want assign blame to other things in cases like this
But the one to blame is the this nut job who did it.

Then the question has to be asked,
Why did no one notice that something was horribly wrong with this guy?

Then the question has to be asked,
Why did no one notice that something was horribly wrong with this guy?

Especially the shop owner who sold him the gun.

The Olympics coverage in the USA......

Quite a few years ago now, When ABC Television's "The Wide World of Sports"
had the the Olympic Games coverage, You got to watch the entire games, every event & every county
that participated right up to the closing ceremonies,It was pretty impressive coverage & we got to see
all the great athletes of the world & the human drama of physical competition.

But not any more!
what we get is edited coverage that only covers the "American" favorites in those few events
why doesn't anyone want to see the best Athletes of the world compete in a world competition

When did it become The "American" games?
NBC this year even edited out 6 minutes paying tribute to those who lost their lives during the London
subway bombings, Do we only care about "American" lives?
Are we really this insensitive to the rest of the world now?

Are we really this self centered? Yes.....Yes we are.

It became the "USA Olympics" when NBC paid $1.2 billion for the broadcast rights. This means that NBC needs to maximize ratings for every second of coverage. Put simply, Americans are more interested in watching American athletes over other countries.

Another issue is just the vast amount of events to cover. If may have seemed like they covered everything back then, but that was a physical impossibility. They may have been less "USA-focused", but trust me, there were vast amounts of the Olympics not even mentioned. NBC is advertising streaming coverage of every minute of every event online or through various pay-per-view options that vary with the different cable providers. They have been having some server issues, but I hear that things are getting better each day.

And put yourself in NBC's shoes. Suppose you decide to show the exciting China-Lithuania men's handball qualifier rather than an American woman win her second straight gold in skeet shooting. Now you look like you're anti-American. Trust me between showing USA medal-winning efforts and the "money sports" like gymnastics and track (and of course, the up close and personal athlete profiles and the gazillion commercials), there really isn't much free time to play around with.

Not a huge fan of the Olympics myself, but from what little I've been able to see on TVs in bars and restaurants, it appears that some of the "lesser" NBC channels are definitely covering athletes and teams from all over the world; it's just the main NBC during prime time that is in full "USA-mode".

I luv 'Murica

On 2012-07-20 09:18, MadDogMike wrote:
Is this the designated area for political incorrectness? What happened in Colorado was a tragedy and my heart goes out to all of those affected. But that doesn't happen in Arizona or Texas where citizens carry guns. When the coyote wants a meal he goes to the sheep pasture, he doesn't go to the lion enclosure at the zoo!

MadDogMike, I'm originally from Texas and there have been plenty of massacres. In 2009 a nutcase killed 13 on Ft. Hood Army Base in Texas. 23 people were killed in a mass shooting at a Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX in 1991. Charles Whitman killed 16 people in 1966 on the University of Texas campus. 76 people were killed in the 1993 Branch Dividian fiasco in Waco, TX.

OK, maybe it wasn't a valid argument :lol:

But the Brank Davidian thing doesn't count, that wasn't armed idiots killing innocent bystanders. (yes I know there were several children killed, but their parents put them in harm's way by following a lunatic)

At the core of the matter is personal responsibility
Who is responsible, Not what can we blame these things on without holding the person or people who did it responsible
Or those who could have prevented it if they opened their eyes.

But that being said, who needs an Assault weapon, except to kill alot of people.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-08-01 23:45 ]

TM

Sounds like a GREAT name for a neo-tiki band!

ladies and gentlemen, THE HAWAIIAN PUNKS!!!!!!

Just some random stream of consciousness......

If you dress up your Pets in funny little outfits, Your a horrible person and should be forced to dress
like a wild animal, Preferably prey animals, Then released onto the Serengeti or other suitable wild lands.

In some circles on Tiki Central, I am being called the "Butcher of Tiki Central" which is forcing me to use my alias
of "Jesus Diablo" when I go to Tiki events,I would prefer being called "Tiki Kali" Destroyer of online worlds
I find it fits my crimes much more appropriately.

Now please prepare your virtual sacrifices to me or feel my wrath!

You can build an entire house out of Bamboo, But it's not Tiki if it has no Tikis!
Which reminds me you should add Sam Fuller's "House of Bamboo" to your Netflix cue.....

Corporate fast food chains do not serve good food! They serve bad food, It looks bad, It tastes bad & it is bad!
Except for In-N-Out......

Why don't we have any "Theremin" Bands? They could have cool names like "The Gorts" or "The Forbidden Planeteers"

TM

ATP, from now on your new delta chi name is "remo williams".

ATP...I luv ya...I think your delightful moxie just hits some folks the wrong way (and maybe some of them deserve it). You are so right-on about people zooming past this site with one post asking how much something is worth without any intent on Tiki passion.

It is rough to start posting here as a newbie if you don't "get" Tiki. I didn't know the difference between commercial Tikis and the real thing when I first started posting on this board and certainly had to dodge a few bullets (still do to this day). But if a person is interested in learning about the genre, then they really should introduce themselves and do some reading and we have the opportunity to encourage them to do so. I will never be an expert on the knowledge related to cocktails, Tikis, art, etc., but I admire everyone that is an expert. It's not that I don't support Tiki, it is just that my disc drive is out of space, I can barely remember what I need to do at work.

To me, it is just not worth getting angry about when the innocent folks or the annoying fly-byes post something that is not respectful or similar posts already exists. I agree that some folks can certainly turn a newbie off and I know people who are not experts like me that don't post for fear of retaliation. I do find that rather sad, but I do my best to avoid drama and that in itself can be a challenge.

Thank you for being you!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 131 replies