Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Gibbo's Hale KuKu Bar

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

G
Gibbo posted on Mon, Oct 22, 2012 6:49 AM

Perth - Western Australia...

My first ever new topic after all these years of visiting here. Hale KuKu Bar (House of Ku...or two)renovations 2012, near completion....

Finally made the decision this year it was time for my dream bar to become a reality. The old tiki room was ripped apart, excess items were sold off to fund the new build and after about eight or so weekends of solid hard work, the new and improved Hale KuKu Bar is just about finished. It has been a labor of love and a real learning curve to get this far, it's all been so much fun too. More fun on the way now with time to relax and enjoy a nice Mai Tai for me and a frozen Strawberry Daiquiri for my beautiful wife Georgie.

My sincere thanks to all here on TC for the great inspiration, info and all the fine photos of your rooms posted over the years, I have learned so much from just looking and reading about your experiences and have now been able to put all this into practice building my bar...I truly hope to have done this.. and you all, justice.

And now....insert drum roll...

The entrance foyer.

A bar sign still to be made for above the doors.

Those carved doors.

Behind the doors....

The lounge area...

A quiet corner.

6 footers from PNG. Just arrived Tuesday.

A vintage sign from a local bar.

So, who's up for one?

Please bear in mind that I have not finished decorating by a long shot and this is straight after putting everything back into the room and the tools down on Sunday afternoon, so there is much more to come down the track. I just wanted to finally post something for you all to see.

OK, now that you have all seen it, I do hope you like it as much as I do.... I'm going to put my feet up and relax with that drink now!

Many thanks again to all,
Gibbo

Q

Congratulations on a beautiful bar! Great job on your build. Those carved doors are simply amazing.

Cheers to you!

H

I love the way you constructed your ceiling at the entrance,very nice. Everything else looks great also. You have a good sense of design. Would like more pictures.

Great job there. Love the way you blended all the different wall textures. Looks to me like a nice place to sit back and have that cocktail. Thanks for sharing all those pics.

• Dale

Great looking bar. You must have been collecting PNG for awhile.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-10-22 08:31 ]

Hey Gibbo What's the cover charge to get into Hale kuku?
Well done !
David, Los Angeles area

Gibbo, Took a second look at your great pix. They are screaming for a narative-maybe some history on how you acquired that great bar in your entry ( looks to be "vintage").The doors are absolutely stunning,tell me about em.
Cheers,
David
P S you don't need a drum roll, you need the Marine Corps Band!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-10-22 10:12 ]

awesome...

Yeah, those doors are amazing! We are all envious. Great job on a great looking room!

Awesome! My only problem is you're a little too far away for me to drive over for a Mai Tai.

K

Great job Gibbo!! Looking very nice indeed.

Love the use of the large bamboo in the round on the ceiling,
really lends a look of authenticity and true character.

The walls blend nicely already and I think they'll just come
alive as you decorate further!

Cocktails? - Hell Yeah!!

p.s. really glad you decided to hang-on to the vintage bar :wink:

L9

looks Fantastic!, love the PNG Tikis and the large bamboo poles on the ceiling.
Great Work!

G
Gibbo posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2012 4:34 AM

Thank you all so much for the kind comments on my bar build, very much appreciated.

Q-tiki - Glad you liked it, means a lot.

hiltiki - Thank you for the compliments, I am humbled.

littlegiles - Dale, I'm loving your build too and yes, I'm looking forward to spending a little more time in there with out the electric drill in hand.

MaukaHale - Some of that PNG stuff is just copies but some of them are really old, there is far more of those PNG carvings down here than the Hawaiian style carvings. Those big 6 footers came from Madang in New Guinea to North Queensland in a Blackhawk helicopter and then from North Queensland to Perth in a Greyhound bus around the very top of Australia, talk about well traveled...I really like those tikis you have in your bar and your bar in general, looking good.

nui'umi'umi - David, thanks mate. No cover charge for the Hale KuKu for you, let me know if you ever get down this way! The vintage rattan bar in the foyer came second hand years ago and the lady I bought it from had it shipped back from Singapore on a cruise ship in the 60's, seems to be a common thing here as the lounge suite was brought back to Perth the same way... and that came from the original owners too.

hang10tiki - Cheers and thanks, digging your Hawaiian Mai Tai post too. Looks like you had a ball doing that research.

lunavideogames - Those doors...would you be surprised if I told you I picked them up for 60 bucks. They were a bargain but needed a little bit of work to get them squared up. They came from an island to the north of here and are fairly soft timber, lots of cool carving though so they had to come home with me for the room build. Glad you like 'em.

Big Kahuna - Rick, it depends on what you are driving, it's not that far...really. Thanks buddy!

komohana - Bob, if i can get this room half as nice as yours I'll be a happy fellow. Yes, I thought about moving that rattan bar on as I was really short on space but when the time came, I just couldn't do it. Glad I hung onto it as it fits there perfectly there. I now have three bars in the house, go figure!

Lodge 9 - Glad you like it all, thank you.

Cheers, Mahalo and keep smiling,
Gibbo

[ Edited by: Gibbo 2012-10-23 04:36 ]

[ Edited by: Gibbo 2012-10-23 05:29 ]

S

Great pad Gibbo. Those doors are great and i love the stone? Ku at the entrance.

I'm a little closer to you than the majority of TC members but you're still too far away for me to pop over for a drink. :D

M

I am loving it!!

Really excellent attention to detail.

It's got the vibe that makes me want to come in for a drink and never leave.

As you flesh it out further keep posting the progress pictures for all of us.

Great job!

B
Bonj posted on Thu, Oct 25, 2012 2:30 PM

Lookin' good, Gibbo!

Well done, Gibbo. Thanks for sharing. As it continues to evolve keep sharing pictures. I am jealous of all your big statues and carvings! They look great and so impressive!

Very nice, great job

T

Gibbo,
I'm jealous of your entire bar. I like the way you put it all together. Nice collection of everything. It's perfect the way it is. If my Bro, David (umi' ) ever makes it down under, you know I will be there too. It's on our bucket list.

Gibbo, Thanx for all the feedback on Hale Kuku. After enjoying the pix of your place the story behind your "stuff"is like icing on a cake.
Cheers,
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-10-27 00:08 ]

WOW!!! Really great build...your furnishings are awesome. Your PNG collections is off the hook...it really livens the place up. Looking forward to more of your passionate work.

G
Gibbo posted on Sat, Oct 27, 2012 2:51 AM

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, I'm seriously blown away by all of them and so very pleased you guys like the bar room as much as I do.

As I mentioned previously, this informative and addictive site with all the sharing people here has been the inspiration and has provided the information and knowledge that taught me how to get this far with the room. I'm a metal worker by trade and wood is usually something that I put on the BBQ... so getting all the timber and bamboo etc up on the walls was all new to me. The ceiling was a little bit of a mystery too but the photos of Bamboo Bens work helped me to nut out how to get that sorted out and looking good. So, I am indebted to you all.

Swizzle - Thanks for the compliments and hey, Melbourne is not that far a way, Yes the stone Ku out front and the Lono were carved out of some sort or white stone. I have a larger one out the back in the yard by the kids Polynesian style cubby house on stilts.

Murph - What can I say, your bar is the killer. You are one of the "TC's Grand Poobars" of home bar builders, I have always enjoyed checking out your pics over the years. Thank you for your kind words. Words just don't come to my mind to say how much I have enjoyed your pics.

Bonj - Thanks mate.

LoriLovesTiki - Glad you liked the big PNG pieces also, they sure make a statement don't they...every time I go into the room I too think just how cool these are (they are that new to me too). Will certainly post more pics as the room fills out over time, I should throw in some of the back yard for you all to see as well if you are interested.

Bamboo Bev - Thank you for your comments also :wink:

Tiki Vato - Joe if you and David do ever get to cross Australia off of your bucket list, make sure you guys look me up. Yours is another bar area I have admired since you first posted your photos here, it is fantastic!!

Nui'umi'umi - David, I really appreciate you guys letting me know how much you enjoyed the pics and a little back story. Thanks Buddy!

VampiressRN - Thank you so very much!

Cheers and Mahalo,

Gibbo

DAMN. There is nothing NOT to like. What a beautiful bar. I love all the little touches like the lei hanging off the picture frame, and the glass floats under the table. Is that a bubble top Seeburg jukebox? I want to drink a Mai Tai in this place! :)

W

That's a really beautiful place you have, not just the tiki's and PNG carvings but the overall room, like going to a Trader Vic's!

Great feel, Gibbo. And -- like everybody else -- love those doors!

G
Gibbo posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 4:46 PM

Tigertail777 - You can have a Mai Tai here any time! that old jukebox with the bubble top is an AMI Continental from around 1961 but the one in the foyer is a Seeburg from 1955

Wayfarer - Thank you for your nice words too and also the comparison to Trader Vic's...that is a huge compliment to me.

Mike and Marie - Thank you for checking this out, I'm really enjoying seeing your room evolve and come to life, it is a terrific space with so many cool things you guys have done to make is so special.

I have attached a few pics of the back yard for anyone that's interested. It's been evolving for the past nine years so it looks a little weather worn, plus the dry winter didn't help things. The plumaria looks much better in a couple months when they have leaves and flowers too.

The Hale KuKu has a sliding door to the left of the big PNG carvings that opens up so you can go into the outside luau bar to serve drinks. I put this bar together some years ago for our luaus...it was an old packing box I modified for a one night stand but everyone loved it so much it's still being used.

There are also a few shots of the kids "little grass shack" (cubby house) which went up a few years ago as well. There is even a jetty and a fishing boat for them to play in. Our three kids love it and we seem to have a heap of other kids from school wanting to come over and play here as well.

Hope you guys enjoy these pics as well.

Mahalo and Aloha!
Gibbo

Absolutely WONDERFUL...... Killer pad.

...my first post ever and a fitting post at that.....

[ Edited by: Gran Poobah 2012-11-02 18:44 ]

I wish we lived in AU just so we could hang out at your tiki palace. I really enjoyed your photos. It shows the joy there is in tiki decorating. I am inspired by your creativity right down to floats under the table. Wendy

H
harro posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2013 3:52 AM

wow, its been a while since i've been on TC and i'm blown away by all the aussies kicking arse with the home bar projects! Gibbo this is out of the park, if only you weren't so far away i'd love to check it out in person. Good inspiration for my upcoming bar and backyard build. In fact now you've got me searching for an old wooden row boat to throw out the back too, hopefully i can find one. Great idea!

cheers,
harro
PS great collection of tikis too, some real nice ones in there. Bet they've been hard to acquire?

J

WOW... so cool...!!! :)

Great space. Those jukeboxes are awesome!!!!

W

Fantastic place Gibbo! Outstanding! You've notched a spot on my all time favorites list.

Chris

That's a lot of tiki space.....awesome

Jon

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Jan 7, 2013 8:56 AM

Masterpiece for sure mate!

I wouldn't want to ever leave!

Thank you for sharing.

McTiki

P
pablus posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2013 2:21 PM

Fantastic looking place. I've learned a little about Perth watching Gardening Australia but they failed to mention the tiki scene. Imagine that.

Looks very inviting. You'd have to have security kick me out of there.

G
Gibbo posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2014 4:22 PM

Aloha All,

Just a quick update on how the Hale Kuku is progressing after a the initial post.I carved out a sign from an old packing crate and it now lives above the entry doors to welcome our guests.

A closer look, first time I have tried anything like this but after reading through enough information in posts here on TC I felt I could tackle it with the router, it turned out just fine.

Next I added an old dresser for some cupboards. You need storage and after cutting (hacking) the top of the unit off, I built the bottom section in and extended the bottle display and it looks at home there now.

The top of the unit was resting up against the bare back wall and it to looked at home there so I haven't moved it. It proves to be a great place to store and display more "stuff" that has taken up residence in the Hale Kuku.

And a close up of the Barsony Hawaiian lamp copy for those interested.

Found a few fishing floats that I have since hung up, some repros I had, some came from Sue down in Mandurah and one kindly donated by good mate Komohana..thanks Bob.

I needed some place for all the glassware and found some brass plated glass hangers cheap on the net, so up in the roof they went.

Of course, a tip jar with the requisite PNG tiki, "God of Tips", looking after the donations and providing good mana to those who are generous :) .

We had a friend come visit from the States last November and so lacking any other form of accommodation, I added a bed to the Hale Kuku for her, now we have somewhere for guests to stay as well. Not sure if this will be permanently here but it certainly works for now.

Added a little more ....ahem...artwork as well, thanks to Keith for sending the beautiful Song Shen velvet all the way down here to Perth.

And finally if you have all hung in here reading until now, a bit of an overview of the room so it kinda joins it all together for you.

Mahalo for all the wonderful comments I have received in the past too, they were very nice, so very much appreciated and I know I didn't get to thank everyone for their kind words. I'm glad you guys liked my little room as much as we do.

Aloha Nui Loa

Gibbo

Really coming along nicely! keep up the good work.

Gibbo,

Looks great. Such nice touches all around.

Love that large tiki you've got.

Sweet
Cheers
Now pull one of those glasses down n shake me a Mai-Tai
:)

Jon

Some fabulous additions to an already beautiful space Gibbo!

The Song Shen is particularly lovely... and the other velvets flesh out the walls nicely. :)

The cabinets turned out great! Also the entry sign, way cool. I think you're more of a wood guy than you let on, hmmm?

Stay awesome Gibbo, see ya.

Wow...that is classy looking. Very nice ambiance and beautiful collection. GREAT JOB!!!

Gibbo,

The Hale Kuku is an inspiration. Your keen attention to detail is truly impressive. If I had a bed in a tiki bar like this, I do believe I might never leave!

Cheers!

Wow you have a very nice collection.
It's a challenge to get some stuff down under for the right price.

Great job on the ceilings.

A real pain in the neck to do, but worth it.

-Lonboard

Hats off to you Gibbo. I hadn't seen your earlier posts. That has to be hands down one of the best tiki spaces I've seen. Love the attention to detail and all the extras like the Hawaiian girl Barsony lamp, vintage jukebox and cane furniture, and of course your excellent collection of tikis.

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2014-03-17 16:30 ]

G
Gsc posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2014 2:52 AM

Wow, what a spectacular blend of EVERYTHING- supurb job. It inspires me in my future bar build. Thank you for all the pics...you did an amazing job!!!!

G
Gibbo posted on Tue, Mar 18, 2014 3:25 AM

Aloha All,

Thanks for checking the new photos out and all the responses have been really wonderful.

ATP and Lori, thank you so much :)

Hang 10, if you are in neighborhood let me know...it's a hell of a drive from Vegas for a Mai Tai though Jon.

Komohama, Bob thanks a heap old mate, your bar is fantastic, I really enjoyed the chance to check it out in person too! Really, I'm not a wood guy, love the stuff, can absolutely appreciate those who can make things with it but unless it goes together with 6 inch self drilling screws I have no clues. Thank goodness for those self drillers :)

Vamp, Marlene, thanks a bunch for the nice words, you are too kind.

BayIslander, Cheers and I'm really glad you like it, that bed may just have to stay in that case...might have to carve it up a little or find something more fitting to leave in there. It's great for the occasional visitor that's for sure.

TikiSpeer, you are so right, finding anything much in Perth is a real mission and I've been scrounging around for this stuff for years. Sometimes you just need to make things fit if it's not quite right. This stuff blends well for an overall effect at least so it's not too hard. We live in a tiki desert.

Longboard, Mahalo mate, if it was near as cool as yours bar I'd be very happy. Those ceilings were fairly straight forward after a little study here on TC, did them on my own so not too difficult. I had the look in my mind, I just had to figure out the steps involved to make it happen. The thanks go to those who have been there before me and posted pics.

TH IV, thanks mate, your comments were really appreciated. It has been a blast to built and fill and I'm very happy with the outcome. We spend a lot of time in there so it was well worth the effort.

GSC, just missed yours as I hit the button hence the edit but thanks for your nice words too, glad you found the pics helpful.

Cheers and mahalo for everything guys,

Gibbo

[ Edited by: Gibbo 2014-03-18 03:28 ]

[ Edited by: Gibbo 2014-03-18 03:29 ]

WOW, just WOW!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies