Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Gibbo's Hale KuKu Bar

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

T

Sorry I missed this thread, very relaxed old school Tiki style. NICE!

"old school" was exactly the words I was looking for. Looks like it has been there for decades...and that is a wonderful thing.

Great job!

• Dale

WOW! Your place looks fantastic! It would be nifty if you can find a way to keep a tiki-themed guest room :)

H

Love your place, love all the black velvet paintings and everything else, great job.

Your spot is amazing! The details and goodies are perfect! Hopefully more pics are on the way!

G
Gibbo posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2014 3:25 AM

Aloha All, time for another update for the Hale KuKu. A couple changes, the guest bed has gone and the jukebox has shifted places, a few new items and a couple more drawers behind the bar to stash stuff, you can never have enough places like that now can you. Ok, from the front

A new Fijian war club came my way from a kind lady in Queensland so it went on the entrance, it's very well carved and sure is a treat to see.

Alright, lets venture inside and see what these changes are...

First thing is I needed someplace to hang the ukulele collection that has been steadily growing over the last couple of years. My darling bride Georgie suggested I hang them here on the bare wall so I can actually see them and they are easy to grab and practice, practice and practice with...I'm still no uke player (I'm musically challenged it seems) but I have fun.

I finally have some more velvet on the walls now too, first up first is a moody shot of a painting by the late Perc Miller that now sits proudly behind the bar.

Followed by a shot with the flash so you can see the painting detail a little better.

I picked up another velvet from the same seller on our east coast around a year ago, this one is also by Perc Miller. These took a good while to arrive here as they stowed away with some freight that was heading west. They are rather large.....First the moody pic.

Now again with the flash, this one hangs behind the lounge chairs on the tapa wall

Had another that is unsigned and arrived from different seller, again on our east coast, finally found an old frame and hung her up last week to fill in the blank space on the bamboo wall.

Also found a place for an old shelf I have had for many years, and yes, here's the lit up version of the velvet above it.

I found this neat little cupboard on a local verge collection, I dragged it home, pulled it apart and did some mods, it fits in real well and holds a heap of stuff.

Found a seller here in the west with some genuine New Guinea fish traps for sale so up they went. He said they were from the 1940's but even if they aren't they are pretty old, they look great and sure add the the overall effect in the room.

Oh yes, this is where i moved the jukebox too (where the guest bed was located), it gave the room a different look so I think I like it.

OK, I sure hope I haven't bored you all to sleep now, if so I'll turn the lights down nice and low and throw in a couple more "mood" shots for you all just so you get into relaxing a little more.

Mahalo Nui to all for checking in and thanks for all the encouragement over the years.

Cheers Guys, Gibbo

H

There is nothing boring here, you have a great sense for design. Love everything you have done. Post more pictures when you can.

Wow,

One of the better builds. Your place is dripping with Tiki goodness.

Very impressive, thanks for sharing.

-Longboard

Love it!!!

I mean damn!!! I have nothing on yours, but I'd like some feed back on what you think of mine.

ATTENTION ALL KOOL KATS AND KITTENS!!! I'm new to the scene but jumped in as a full blown Tikiphile right off the bat!!! Built a 100% cedar, bamboo, palm leaf palapa with bar Walt Disney inspired main tiki poles hold it up, I got my tiki mug collection up on ooga-mooga, redid the whole backyard to a Tiki Lounge. I would like to invite you all to take a look at my Tiki Lounge. I need ideas, critiques, complements on what works and what doesn't and just kool conversation. I even made a page for my backyard EnchantedTikiLounge.com

Brian Martin
http://www.EnchantedTikiLounge.com

[ Edited by: EnchantedTikiLounge 2015-01-12 06:56 ]

K

Look'n damned fine there young Gibbo.

Congrats on the long awaited arrival of the velvets, way cool to see them framed and hung,
and looking right at home.

The uke collection certainly has grown since our last visit, the re-arrangement of the jukebox
sure flows nicely and the fish traps are fabulous, very nice score.

For those that haven't visited the Hale KuKu, opposite the ukuleles resides Gibbos' very
impressive Tiki mug and Tiki knick-knack (for want of a better term) collection. :)

A big ALOHA to your good self and your lovely wife and kids.

K

On 2014-11-10 17:08, EnchantedTikiLounge wrote:

..., but I'd like some feed back on what you think of mine.

Well Bri.... "half-arsed" and "not overly thought out" come to mind...

and the scant Tiki look a little cartoonish...

but that's just my two-bobs worth and I wouldn't want to derail Gibbos thread.

Looking good, Gibbo! I really like the ukulele storage!

Wow....simply amazing. NICE JOB!!!

F
Fox posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2014 1:50 PM

Gotta say man, that's probably the best I have seen yet!!! Wow!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies