Pages: 1 37 replies

Just heard this from Don the Beachcomber
I will repost the email:

"We are saddened to bring such news but this morning, Arthur
Snyder passed away in his sleep at 79 years old. He was a
United States Marine, a USC Law Graduate, a politician, a
restauranteur, but most importantly, a dedicated husband,
father, and grandfather. He will leave a legacy for ages to come
but what he left in everyone's hearts will last a lifetime.
Burial information will be posted soon. We will be holding a
celebration of his life this Saturday at Don the Beachcomber
in the Longboard Room from 3 pm - 8 pm.

For more information please email [email protected].

We ask that during this time of grieving you do not try to
contact the family or staff at Don the Beachcomber. More
information will be posted shortly"

I am happy to have known the man, Just saw him Monday night and he did seem a bit fragile
my condolences go out to his wife & family.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-11-08 10:01 ]

This is very sad news I read on Facebook before here.
Art was always very nice to me ...he will be misssed .

T

(I'm reposting my earlier facebok post here...)

Though I've had my differences with Art in the past, I assure you they were truly business and not personal, and we'd since made amends and have been working together again. Some of our best and most memorable shows were at Don's,and I'm grateful for that.

My deepest condolences go out to Delia and his family.

Thanks Art for Rescuing Sam's Seafood and keeping not only my favorite tiki bar/restaurant alive, but for bringing back the Don The Beachcomber name as well, and giving all us Tiki Nerds a great place to hang out, and a great room for The Tikiyaki Orchestra to perform in.

I know Art put alot of heart,soul,time and money into Don's and it showed.

Rest In Peace Art

E pili mau nâ pômaika’i me ia (May blessings ever be with him)

E Ho'omaha Me Ka Maluhia Art. You Will Be Missed. Aloha Nui.

The first tiki event I ever went to was at Don the Beachcomber and I've been hooked ever since.
Rest in peace, Art.

I am at such a loss right now. He was always so great to me, Dinah, and The Hula Girls. We had dinner and drinks with him so many memorable times. Going to miss his stories and his warm personality...

He lost money for a long time on Dons, but wanted to see it though. Where most could have given up, he persevered to make Don's the premiere tiki establishment in Southern California. He was such a gratious host to everyone who came though the place...

We are devastated and absolutely miss you already, Art.

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 14:31 ]

TM

Oh my god!

This is terrible.

BK

I'm absolutely crushed by this news. I'm so thankful that I came out to visit when I did. Spike & I had a nice conversation with Art, Saturday night. It was a pleasure to meet & get to know this gentleman. I remember on my first visit, Art found out I was visiting from Boston & he came over to introduce himself, shake my hand, pose for pictures & just chat a bit. He will be sorely missed in this community. My thoughts & prayers are with his family & friends. Thank you Art, for all you did for the Tiki community. Godspeed, my friend.
Rick

Rick, I was just remembering that last conversation with him too. I dealt with him a bunch with the band, but those discussions about his massive tiki collection or history of Don or Sam's were always my favorite. I do miss him already. He had such grand views of what he wanted to do with Don's. Hopefully that lives on!!

Glad that you were able to share that night and the hanging out with Art, with us.

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 16:27 ]

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2012-11-07 16:28 ]

O
Otto posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2012 6:21 PM

I've known Art for many years as the driving force behind revitalizing the Don the Beachcomber name and tradition. He succeeded and we should all thank him deeply for that. He was a great man and will be sorely missed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Art, but having seen his picture so many places and people speaking so highly of him, I feel like I did. RIP Art.

J
JOHN-O posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2012 6:36 PM

Art lead a colorful life to be sure, Don's was just a bookend to that. I've read several books and articles on LA history seeing his name being referenced, thinking "Is that the Art I know?".

It's amazing the DTBC that we love so much even exists, it's like something out of a perfect Tiki dream. It took a person like Art to make it a reality. And he always took care of the Tiki peeps, he was a true kindred soul.

We never knew Trader Vic or Donn Beach, but we did know Art. RIP Art Snyder, when we're drinking at the big table we know you'll be there with us. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2012-11-07 18:44 ]

KD

Sorry to hear this. The one time I was able to visit DTB, Art sat down at our table and we had a nice long conversation about rum; esp. the-then lack of 151 Demerara. Really nice guy.

CA

Art really had a vision and energy that we all need to carry on.... it was great working with him and helping him along with these visions. Keeping his Spirit alive, we will carry on.

J

i didnt realize how much i would be upset when i had found out... i cried on and off throughout the day just remembering good talks with him and how much he truly cared for our whole community.

A sad day for the Tiki community. There was a big obit for Art in today's LA Times.

Art Snyder

DC

S
savoy6 posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2012 7:03 PM

RIP Art....you are loved and will be missed...

C

the 3-4 times we have made the road trip to go to Don's for dinner he always was there, greeting guests and walking the floor talking to people. We had my 40th birthday party there a couple of years ago and he personally cmae over to wish me a happy birthday. very sweet guy and the place just won't be the same without him.

What a shock. He did seem frail recently, the struggles to keep DTB afloat took a lot out of him. But he also got to see it flourish with the International Tiki Market Place. He really loved seeing all the Tikiphiles come together at his place. He just wasn't the guy to retire, so he died doing what he loved. Catch a glimpse of him being interviewed here (around minute 1:35):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ-DasnJXfQ

We want to Thank everyone for all the kind comments posted as well as the outpouring of love for Arthur. We are celebrating his life this Saturday from 3pm to 8pm at Don the Beachcomber. Wear your best and brightest Tiki/Hawaiian Shirt in his honor.

Funeral Information:
Date: Wednesday, November 14th
Time:9am
6300 Forest Lawn Drive, Los Angeles, CA (Drive to Old North Church once inside cemetery)

If you have any questions please email [email protected]

S

Art you were always so kind to me. I remember the first time I went to DTB and you made it a point to come up and welcome me and to talk to me about some of the different parts of the restaurant that you loved. It was great being made to feel so instantly at home

Thoughts with your family and our tiki community on the loss of a great friend and person.

When we found out about Art's passing, the entire day found the Tiki Farm staff very saddened. There were tears and there were laughs. Laughs? Art shined and that is what we are taking with us - we really enjoyed our relationship with him and we feel very fortunate to have worked closely with this larger-than-life man. Here is how Art greeted me on the phone every time that I spoke with him... "Hello Holden, hello friend, Art Snyder here". I am going to miss hearing that. Someday, I hope to hear that again!! RIP Art.

S
Seabee posted on Fri, Nov 9, 2012 4:19 PM

I had seen Art in the bar many times and knew who he was, but only spoken to him a few times. The first time I met him, I had pulled in to the Dagger Bar after a long day at work just for a quick Navy Grog. He noticed my US Navy ballcap and sat on the stool next to me. We ended up having a nice long chat about our times in the service (his much more interesting than mine). Before long, I was three grogs in. Art seemed to be about that: finding connections with people and sitting down for a good, honest chat over a rum drink. He embodied what I consider to be the Tiki spirit. From a Sailor to a Marine, I salute you, Art. Fair winds and following seas.

Shocking! I was just at Don's on Saturday with a friend from out of town, and I talked about Art and pointed out his picture on the wall. I looked around and was disappointed not to see him hanging around the place that night. I'm very sorry to hear the reason why.

Art was just the right guy who came along at just the right time to preserve the best of Sam's, morph it into the Don's we know and love, and make the personal and financial investments to turn it all into a success. And as so many have said, he was always a gracious and gregarious host.

I've posted a few comments, memories and photos over at my Tiki Lagoon blog: http://tikilagoon.blogspot.com/2012/11/arthur-k-snyder-1932-2012.html

CJ

O
Otto posted on Sat, Nov 10, 2012 2:22 PM

On 2012-11-08 18:16, Dustycajun wrote:
A sad day for the Tiki community. There was a big obit for Art in today's LA Times.

Art Snyder

DC

That's a good obit - who would have been more appropriate to run a Don the Beachcomber's than a "character" like Art?

O
Otto posted on Sun, Nov 11, 2012 5:02 PM

I wanted share this earlier but waited to get permission from Delia.

This is a letter Art sent to Tiki Oasis staff. Art in his own words. It shows how dedicated he was to preserving Tiki AND sharing it with everyone. He singlehandedly saved the historic Sams Seafood location. Let's share the love by supporting Delia and the staff. Forever.

For the last three years Delia and I have felt that it would  not be to the best interest of our enterprise to step away for even a day.  We have worked an average of 18 hours each day for the last 42 months.  It is our prayer that we could one day soon be in a position to call our development of management leadership and staff excellence to the level that we will be able to have a vacation.  It's coming, and hopefully that need will be satisfied by the end of this year,  Until then our joy will have to be contained, we fear.

But!  That is not to say we are not happy with what we have done and what we are doing!  To put the old Sam's Seafood back where it does not threaten to fall down on a daily basis, restore its decor and replace its fixtures, and at the same time refresh the memory of Donn Beach in the minds of America--all of this has given us a feeling of satisfaction that will one of these days top-off this, the final chapter in the great adventure that our lives together for the last 35 years has been.

Mahalo, Christi, for being one of the many pieces of that adventure!

Art & Delia Snyder
Don the Beachcomber

Art allowed me to create my works in the best possible place it could be done. I wish I could match the love, effort and inspiration that has gone into Don the Beachcomber.

I walk into a Paradise escape with fountains, flowers, exotic sounds, beautiful friendly natives, flowing waters and the aromas of orchids. I could sit in a bamboo booth with low lights and remember that life has those pauses where the moment touches the infinite.Much of my own artistic inspiration came while sitting in a deserted backroom; hearing tropical melodies and inhaling that place beside a stream below a mountain that all of us have access to when we allow.

Over a hundred miles away and I can still return whenever I like. Thanks Art!

Starting tonight we will begin a new tradition of remembering Art Snyder and his dedication not just to revitalizing Don the Beachcomber but supporting the tiki community in whole. In his honor and memory we would like to raise our glasses in toast at 7:30 pm in the Dagger Bar every Monday night. All of us that attend Monday nights can recall at one time or another Art's coming up and sitting with us to listen to stories and tell some of his own. He felt a very strong tie with the tiki community and always enjoyed our presence. If you couldn't make it to the celebration of life this past weekend or may not be able to attend the funeral Wednesday at Forest Lawn, this might be a good way to show your appreciation.

TM

Well done, Chris!

I second that, well done Chris.

And here, more on the Art before we knew him:

http://echopark.patch.com/articles/art-snyder-a-genuinely-interesting-dude?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001

He lived a full life, for sure.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-11-18 11:07 ]

That is sad news.

I didn't know him, but a while back I was in the area and I stop by the Bar.

They weren't open yet but Art took me in and gave me a tour of the place. Turned on all the lights, had his bartender fix me a few drinks and treated me like a VIP.

A very pleasant meeting and I am very grateful for his kindness to me that day.

Rest In Peace Art

Well it is the Anniversary of Art's passing
this one is for you Art!

This was being shared on that other social network and thought it should be shared with the Tiki Ohana

Don't know who took photo but if you did, let us know.

How is DTB doing in Art's passing?

Pages: 1 37 replies