Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

P

Hale,

Just cut the tapa about 1/16" smaller than the main pickguard material, then you'll have a light border that will show the shape. Just a thought.

Paul

I looked at the photos then I read littlegiles response and it was exactly what I was thinking. Wendy

I agree, one ivory colored Moai. Maybe you can find something with a bit of texture and a color variation to took like stone. Or maybe a thin slab of actual stone if you have a way to cut it.

Very cool idea Hale.

T

I like the one with two Moai.
Plus you may want to use Baleen,(See post here on that)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=40536&forum=18&start=0&hilite=baleen
Don't know if you can get it but it looks cool.

HT

Actually, I can laser cut/engrave stone......well, cut if it's thin enough....I like the way you think, Mike.

EDIT: John, not a fan of that for the pick guard, but I love that material. Thanks for the suggestion. I may use that for other things like inlays.

Mike, you're brilliant. Formica makes great stone textures!!!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-18 09:16 ]

T

Here is some on eBay.
They put art on it because you can sell it with art on it because it's art.
But not if it's just whale parts I guess.
Has a really nice black shine to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALEEN-WHALE-DECORATIVE-PIECE-Exquisite-/221213011215?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338152ad0f

"Actually, I can laser cut/engrave stone" - I figured you might :lol: but the formica is a great idea!

HT

On 2013-04-18 09:17, tikiskip wrote:

They put art on it because you can sell it with art on it because it's art.

That's brilliant, man. And can be said about so many, many things. I really do dig the look of it.

HT

Well, I got in my samples, and immediately hit the laser cutter. I now know that there's one more thing I can add to the list of materials that does not cut well on a laser cutter:

1. PETG
  2. VCT
  3. PVC - Produces chlorine gas, which destroys the lungs and leads to a slow death
  4. Formica

Here's the results. I like the black one better to begin with. It kind of looks like lava rock, and you can't see the burns as well. The burnt edges on the gray kind of look like a shadow. Anyway, you decide. Thanks for the idea, Mike.

T

Ok I saw this and this is what came to mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Tortoise-Shell-Celluloid-Guitar-Head-Veneer-Shell-Sheet-Parts-jewelry-making-/290901395802?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43bb13095a

But It seems like you don't like to chop up animals to make things with so
this may not work.
But looks cool.
Maybe this comes in a faux version?

Love the name of this uke.

T

Oh wait these ARE faux.
So no problem.
Comes in all kinds of funky colors and black.

And If

1. PETG
  2. VCT
    won't work how bout LMNOP or XYZ.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-ABS-Celluloid-Guitar-Head-Veneer-Shell-Sheet-Also-jewelry-Making-Inlay-NEW-/251141242001?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&var=&hash=item3a792f3c91

Personally, I would lean toward the lighter colored feature as I think it shows off the details of the profile better against the darker wood. I like the darker one because of the texture, but I just think it gets lost in the wood.

Dale

HT

I love celluloid and pearloid and and tortoise shell.

And trust me John, as long as it looks good, or tastes good, I'm down. Like Dennis Leary said, "Save the dolphins, save the dolphins!" "Well what about the tuna?" "Fuck them, they taste good."

Also, LMNOP isn't bad, but XYZ will mess you up! Hahaha.

Looks like I'm going to have to be patient, not go with what's on hand, and order up some other materials for testing!

EDIT: We have some of the black pebbled ABS that you'd find on the outside of an ATA Case. Maybe I'll try that while I'm waiting for the other stuff to come in. It's a real bright black, and may provide for better contrast against the wood.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-04-23 07:39 ]

HT

Here it is, the same pebbled ABS you find on the outside of hard instrument and ATA cases:

That is better than the other dark one you tried I think. I still lean toward the lighter one because it really pops against the wood.

Dale

HT

On 2013-04-23 19:01, littlegiles wrote:
That is better than the other dark one you tried I think. I still lean toward the lighter one because it really pops against the wood.

Dale

Yeah, I'm still leaning towards lighter myself. Time to go scrounge for other material and see what I can't come up with. I just wish I could cut that light material without the burns. I'm repairing our cutting laser today, so hopefully that one will do the trick.

Is there no way to polish the burns off? Like you said, it does kind of give it a shadow effect and that isn't really a bad thing.

Dale

Here's a wee little moai I printed with the 3d printer that is temporarily on my desk at work. He's next to my Wendy Cevola War God. I've asked artists for their 3D designs, and am looking to print the first tiki mug that was designed in on a computer in a 3d rendering program, and then printed with a 3d printer. From there, the print will be either cleaned up, or the lines from printing will be left in, and molded. Then slipcast mugs will be poured from the mold. There's a few people that have contacted me, so we'll see what comes of it.

I am wearing my 3D glasses, but nothing is happening?

Tilt your head to the left.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I like the photo! Wendy

Hale Tiki ... I envy you having a 3D printer on your desk ... There are so many possible uses for one ... Your moai is cool and the neon green is a nice color ... I did a tutorial thread a while back showing how I made pendants in 3D programs and had them 3D printed. Working in 3D can be great fun ....

[ Edited by: Gene S Morgan 2013-05-13 19:24 ]

Gene, no more tutorials! it had to be said.

S

Gene, this is your forum as much as anybodys. It does not belong to one person. Do what you want.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2013-05-14 00:17 ]

EJ

On 2013-05-13 20:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Gene, no more tutorials! it had to be said.

Really? We are back to this crap again?

They are (The tutorials) "Justin Bieber" good.....

HT

Hey hey hey. Children. Go sit in the corner and have a mai tai! Now. And if you don't behave yourselves, it'll be one with grenadine. LOTS of grenadine. And vodka.

EDIT: I said vodka in jest, but then I found this:

O'Sheas Famous Mai Tai

Ingredients

• 3 Ounces Raspberry or Regular Vodka
  • 3 Oz. Of Cranberry Juice
  • 3 Oz. of Orange Juice
  • 3 Oz. of Pineapple Juice
  • 3 Oz. of All Natural 7-Up

Glass

• SOLO Cups are best for no breakage!

Instructions

1. Pour vodka over shaved ice
  2. Add juices, stir with vodka in cocktail shaker
  3. Strain or leave with ice.

Also, this one:

Vodka Mai Tai
• 1 oz Vodka
• 1 oz Cherry juice
• 1/3 Orange Juice
• 2/3 Pineapple Juice

Sweet Baby Ray's, what have you done to my Mai Tai!!?!

And I've seen reference to Trader Vic's Vodka Mai Tai?!!?! http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39013&forum=10 And there's photos of one online. ...THE FUCK TRADER VIC'S?

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-05-14 04:13 ]

I'm sorry ,Dad......

HT

On 2013-05-14 04:19, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I'm sorry ,Dad......

That's a good boy, son. And at the next event, I'll buy you a real Mai Tai, with no grendaine, or vodka, OR pineapple juice!

T

Did a silk screen of a tapa print once and it just did not look right.
I think when you try to mass produce or take out the organic hands on nature of an
art like tiki, well it's not so good. IMHO

HT

On 2013-05-15 05:41, tikiskip wrote:
Did a silk screen of a tapa print once and it just did not look right.
I think when you try to mass produce or take out the organic hands on nature of an
art like tiki, well it's not so good. IMHO

That's funny, there's the same discussion going on on that photo over on instagram. I think there's merit for each. Like someone said, good artists make good art, no matter what the medium.

T

I don't do instagram, But I guess that would be the secret to
good mass produced tiki art is to make it look like a one
of a kind piece with imperfections and all.

But if you look back at all of the Tiki mugs ect,
Some of the most highly sought after stuff is the hand made
one of a kind items.
Like the stuff Bill Sapps wife made.

Not saying yours is bad at all.
I'm one of those analog guys in an digital world.

Look at the new menus that come out today.
Do you think they will be as collectable as the old ones of yesteryears.
Or cds,
can't fit a zipper on the front of a cd cover.(Rolling Stones Sticky fingers)

HT

I'm a good balance of both. I abhor digital, yet I embrace it out of necessity/convenience. Conversely, I hoard as much from the analog world as possible, because it's made to last. 75 year old records look better than, and play better than 5 year old CD's. It also helps that things are made to last. Artistry, craftsmanship, quality, and design. Doesn't matter how something is made, if it has those four things, it's golden. At least in my book.

"No doubt there, ATP. They really don't make things like you used to."
Quote you.

And I agree. If you is actually they in above quote.

On 2013-05-15 11:16, tikiskip wrote:
"No doubt there, ATP. They really don't make things like you used to."
Quote you.

And I agree. If you is actually they in above quote.

Indeed. Can't say that I've ever seen anything ATP has made, so yes, definite they in that sentence. I don't always proof read before I post.

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies