Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A kinder, gentler Tiki Central

Pages: 1 2 3 138 replies

My 2 cents...oh no I think I only have one! But I have posted here and then haven't visited for awhile, and come back. I never felt left out, or insulted that I can remember. I do love learning here, and the range of artistry and knowledge couldn't be found anywhere else. I don't ever remember a forum where there wasn't some friction at times. But you have to understand all the different personalities involved.

Ben's dad is Mr. Tiki!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 11:47 PM

Plato

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."

GROG not mentioning any names, but there are definitely several people (including GROG) who fall in the latter category.

:drink: I'm raising my glass to you all

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 11:51 PM

On 2013-02-01 23:48, hang10tiki wrote:
:drink: I'm raising my glass to you all

Now lock this thread on a good note!

On 2013-02-01 18:53, LostIsland wrote:

On 2013-02-01 16:53, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
John O- There is a group on FB called "Tiki" and there are a lot of Tiki Central folks on there. Artists, carvers and tiki lovers that most of us know or have heard of. No cat posts there. No one was 'bashing' TC but the attitude was such that they won't go there anymore. This discourages me because I like this tiki community and want it to thrive.

ATP- Don't assume any of this is directed at you. It wasn't.

All- Its good to talk it out. Tiki therapy. I hope to see some of you at Mojave Oasis. Now pick up yer Mai Tai and DRINK!

Well said! That's my main concern. Hell, if folks want to behave like steaming piles of dung, I couldn't care less, but it can have a negative effect on the community as well as this site. How many people might have contributed a whole lot more had they not just gotten fed up with 10th grade smack talk? While some is actually funny and I'm sure intended to be so, a lot is just pathetic and fueled by internet anonymity. I don't know if it's so much a matter of who can take it or not, so much as it's often "why bother". Life's simply too short to tolerate childish annoyances. There's a reason grown folks don't hang out with 7th graders. Why tolerate adolescent annoyances when there are simply far better, more fruitful things to do with your time.

The sad fact is that most of what this community has to offer in terms of historic materials, information and research can be of benefit whether you contribute or not. That being said it certainly behooves those that care for this site to do our best to give folks a reason to contribute rather than simply a compelling reason to just lurk.

Perfectly said.

BK

I just like to hear myself type! :)

On 2013-02-01 23:47, GROG wrote:
Plato

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something."

GROG not mentioning any names, but there are definitely several people (including GROG) who fall in the latter category.

W

I love the library. But as with most multi-layered things I love (family, cities, music, movies, TV, trifle, museums) there are many things i hate about the library.

I can't stand the people who yack on their cell phones despite all the signs.

I don't care for the children's sections which are frequently put together (and used) like preschools with play equipment and toys.

I don't like the gamers on the computers slammin the hell outta the keyboards.

But I haven't stopped going to the library because of all these constant irritations. I just ignore them and go to the library because that's where the FREE! books, movies, and CDs are.

It's the same thing with Tiki Central. I have always had irritations with this place (I even used to attempt to logically address some of these irritations with threads). But I learned to mostly ignore the irritations because of all the good stuff on here.

Anyone who loves Tiki but completely dismisses Tiki Central merely because of an old grudge or because they can't self righteously tell off someone who annoys them or because they know in their hearts that they're so much cooler than everyone on here is cutting themselves off from the best online source of Tiki information.

I can understand many of their annoyances. (Except long held anger at complete strangers is something I don't get. And I know I ain't cooler than anyone on here.)

And though I think Tiki Central is the best online source of Tiki information it does become harder and harder to find this information when the forums get filled up with new threads that should have been posts in old threads or threads get filled up with "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!" type comments that have little to do with the topic. (To quote GROG quoting Plato ""A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something.")

These days I mostly ignore what annoys me on Tiki Central. (Occasionally I'll have an outburst of absurdity, see above.)

But then I'm someone who can visit an old relative with a little yapping dog and ignore the dog for several hours because I'm enjoying my visit with the relative.

Nicely said, woofman. And: If only half of the time spent thinking and posting on this thread would be spent on Tiki culture research and development, TC would be a lot better off.

On 2013-02-01 20:42, RevBambooBen wrote:
I hope this wasn't all because of my silly little facebook post....

"If I put this up on Tiki Central they would tare me apart. lol!!"!

Timeline Photos
My Dad was more Tiki than your Dad. On Guam, WW2, Tapa Cloth print shorts, drinking a beer with a Shaka!
By: Bamboo Ben

Yes, this fb post did evoke some anti-TC sentiments from the peanut gallery but it wasn't the only thing. At recent tiki events (Frankies, Chops, Mojave Oasis) I've heard the same thing, "Oh, I don't go there anymore." Maybe I'm wrong but I'd like to think Tiki Central is a "big tent" that welcomes everyone that has a love of tiki. So, its just food for thought and I'll leave it at that. Anyways, I'll take Sven's advice and drop it.

Mahalo for the discussion.

TM

On 2013-02-01 16:07, Big Kahuna wrote:
Lucas, I've never had the pleasure of meeting you, but I'm rather fond of those other 2 knucklheads!

We all belong to a club known as PSC (Pot stirrer's club)...collectively, we are a group of people who like to make off-kilter posts on this and any other forum (You ought to see how ATP goes off on the roadside diner forum....evil posts, troll posts, about ketchup VS Mustard, etc...it gets quite heated at times and he gets banned a lot!) but anyway, as I was saying, all of us three members are very evil with our crazy posts, but perfectly nice when you meet us in person. It's all in good fun, and people need thicker skins!

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2013 5:55 PM

I stopped reading this at page two.... Did anyone post a pic of the fake boobed tattooed chick?

Ok back to making Tiki, carry on.

[ Edited by: Dagg 2013-02-02 17:56 ]

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Feb 2, 2013 7:09 PM

Thank you! Sheesh... That's much better.

T

OK, now that we've determined a direct relationship between neck length and torso length , I'm off to the library to research tiki history! :)

aloha, tikicoma

Now why would a a perfectly fine looking woman like that, have those air bags installed?

Safety ATP. Its all about safety. :D

She probably can't swim either...

BK

That's disturbing!

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 7:02 AM

On 2013-01-26 12:30, hang10tiki wrote:
found one...

That's both very cool and very depressing at the same time. :) :(

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 7:04 AM

On 2013-01-21 22:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
It is high time we get to see a photo of the artiste:

Thanks Bigbro !!

Did you get that from Frank Bowers' daughter ??

J
JOHN-O posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 7:15 AM

On 2013-01-10 07:58, Dustycajun wrote:
I found another double postcard mailer from the Holiday Inn at Disneyland.

All those juxtaposition of different styles at a Holiday Inn is pretty groovy man !! :)

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 10:15 AM

What happened? Is John-O posting drunk again?

On 2013-02-03 10:15, GROG wrote:
What happened? Is John-O posting drunk again?

that's funny!

Ben, here is the correct logo.

Doug, you didn't do that logo, did you?

Yes, it is Doug's, I just asked him tonight.

HT

On 2013-02-10 12:33, Swamp Fire wrote:

But the important question, will it be a mug, and when can TC members get one? :sheckymug:

Nice logo, guys! Allow me to note that to me as a fresh viewer, my very first read of the name is "Tikiniki" - and it has been so with the logo that Ben posted earlier. Without any space or separation between the two words, that's what the uninformed eye sees. That kind confusion upon introduction of a brand is to be avoided, I would think. :)

Love the mug drawing...but it does look like Tiki Niki :wink:

I was thinking a leaner & meaner Tiki Central myself....

U

I've looked through most of the responses in this thread and have come to the conclusion that the primary reason for the mean and disdainful comments it contains is Rum. Therefore I would like to propose that all members of Tiki Central immediately swear off this spurious liquid. Now I know that some of you will respond by saying that you drink rum all the time and you are one of the most kind and gentle people around. I have considered this conundrum at great length and am willing to concede that the brand of rum may be a variable in whether one becomes mean or gentle after imbibing. I have generously taken it upon myself to conduct an analysis to determine if this brand hypothesis is correct. If you would like to participate in this study all you have to do is send me a bottle of your favorite rum(unopened of course) and it will be included in the analysis. Just PM me and I will send you the address. It doesn't make any difference in the size of the bottle but the larger it is the more detailed and sophisticated the analysis will be. If you have any questions send them along.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2013 5:38 PM

The rum drinkers are happy drunks. It's the pot heads that are ornery.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-12 18:07 ]

T

"the primary reason for the mean and disdainful comments it contains is Rum"
More like rum and other.

•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•:''':•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

U

OK, you can send me bottles of "other" too.

It's a card with a lever so you can make her hula.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-02-14 09:21 ]

Lori, thanks for posting that card,you got me outta trouble with the missus.
Happy Valentine's day to you!
David

T

It is working, don't know if it's this thread or just because, but TC IS kinder.
More Aloha, Mahalo and an Ohana feel.

Valentine's day is coming, can you feel the love?

On 2016-01-21 07:46, tikiskip wrote:
It is working, don't know if it's this thread or just because, but TC IS kinder.

Could it be...?

On 2016-01-21 07:46, tikiskip wrote:

FU Skip! :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Love ya ATP!
You make TC everything that it isn’t.

I know what it is!
It’s Madness!!

I never thought I'd miss you
Half as much as I do Aloha
And I never thought I'd feel this way
The way I feel
About you Ohana
As soon as I wake up