Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies

Tangaroa-Ru, well said!
ATP, don't you ever sleep!?

So long Bahooka. One day earlier than expected. I look forward to the reading of the will on March 17th and picking up those items that time will wash away.

R.I.P

Mahalo, Tiki ohana. I talked to my mom this morning, and she said she and my dad felt the exact same way when The Luau and Kelbo's closed. Those were "their" places. My dad had even proposed to my mom (twice!) at The Luau. (She accepted when he did it without the aid of a Mai Tai.)

You know, I will actually go to this new incarnation of the restaurant, if they keep the tanks and booths intact. I wouldn't be surprised if they painted it all white and hung modern lights from the ceiling though.

And I'll still enjoy seeing the Tiki apartments (what's left of them) on the drive down Rosemead Blvd. on the way to Bahooka corner. You know, there's still much to celebrate and enjoy. And we know clever people who are making new Tiki places for us to go to, in Los Angeles and elsewhere. I'm not trying to be all "Miss Disneyland" about this, because losing the Bahooka IS sad, but as my dad used to say, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." The solution is to try and preserve what we can of what we love. And, if we can't, then document it thoroughly, and allow that to inspire others, including yourself.

And now, I really have to finish my next article for Tiki Magazine! Aloha to you all.

C

Tangaroa-Ru, I relate to what your mother said about the Luau and Kelbos. My wife and I began dating as a result of a gig my brother and friends' lounge band played in Kelbo's Coco Bowl Room in December 1991, so there is always something special in my heart for that place. However, though the building is still in operation as a bikini bar, I can't bring myself to visit it and have the original memories diminished. Though it sounds like Bahooka's next incarnation will be closer to the original than Kelbo's is, it may still be a hard choice as to whether or not to see the update. However, if indeed Rufus and his pals are still going to be there, that might be an incentive to visit an old friend.

Caltiki Brent

C

Actually, if you want to see video footage of Kelbo's (maybe this should be in a Kelbo's thread), here is a wedding Lovingkindness played (my brother is the keyboard player you see at the beginning) in September 1991 in the Coco Bowl room. (I should correct myself, as the December 1991 gig where my future wife and I "met"--though we had met before--was in the front bar area.)

(Sorry if anyone's musical sensibilities are damaged...Monte Vista & Lovingkindness was an intentionally warped group, who started in 1985 and predated the craze of more "authentic" lounge music that occured in the 1990s, and directly or indirectly contributed to the Tiki scene.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldV99KsdVKE

I've actually been to Kelbo's, since it became a strip club. Of course, I was hoping to find some remnants of what had been, amongst the bedazzled thongs. Sadly, all gone, BUT the structure remains, and, because of that, it would be very easy to make it into a fantastic Tiki temple once again, should the opportunity ever arise. I did talk to the owners about, at least, serving a drink at their bar in memory of what had gone on before. Of course, that ungodly blue beverage in the giant plastic clamshell. Come on! That goes really well with bow-chicka-bow-bow! But, they just laughed and offered me a job.

Wow, Congawa. That's one heck of a band. I applaud the flinging oneself on the floor in mock agony. Perfect for a wedding celebration. No musical sensibilities damaged here. Thanks for sharing. Too bad we can't see more of the Kelbo's decor in your video. But, that really wasn't a place you wanted to have the lights turned up, right? I didn't get to go there until the 80's (when I was old enough to be in a bar), but I'm sure it was a lot better back when my parents went. Still, I loved it. And I still love that structure with the lookout tower. As I said, an easy conversion back, should it ever come up for sale again. Get your imaginations revved up, folks.

Apologies for the cross-post from the events thread, but thought everyone might be interested.

For those in the Los Angeles area who were planning on going to Bahooka tonight, Tonga Hut just posted this on their Facebook page:

"Tribute to the legendary Bahooka tonight, beginning at 4.
Toast at 6, wherever you are.
Serving the 'Ruffus' created by our own Marie King, garnished with a carrot stick!"

R

Bahooka Tiki Restaurant 1967-2013 RIP Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tW-CX6yGUBo

On 2013-03-10 07:06, Big Kahuna wrote:
Tangaroa-Ru, well said!
ATP, don't you ever sleep!?

Just got back from the gig at Don the Beachcomber, Rick
then you throw that extra hour on for daylight savings time and the night is half gone!
Nancy & I will be having that drink with you tonight in honor of the Bahooka! :drink:

H

Photo courtesy of John English

So... not to, you know, search the body before it's even cold, or anything. But has anyone heard anything about the potential interior item auction?

The only thing I heard was that it was potentially going to be on the 17th. Being two days away, you would imagine that there would be some news about it?

T

From their Facebook page:

"We are selling the rest of the small stuff ( Parrots, floats, glasses, ect.) Saturday and Sunday 11-4. March 16th and 17th. Cash only. Will let you know about bigger items soon! Thanks!"

This was just posted on Bahooka's Facebook page minutes ago.

"Evidently the sale this weekend has been cancelled by the family member that was doing it. Sorry everyone. I have no control of it."

Ow man...there's gonna be a lot of pissed-off people standing in that parking lot this morning!

Wow! Bad form...

yeah, that wasn't cool to cancel at last minute like that. I'd hate to be someone traveling from far. Even my commute from the 10/710 was annoying to find nothing.

CJ
M
Murph posted on Fri, Apr 19, 2013 3:00 PM

Looks like just a building and fish tanks now.
All the interior items that made it Bahookas have been sold to Cliftons.

I hope the family didn't get screwed.

I heard this news from Marty Lush this morning! I certainly hope that someone is maintaining the fishtanks during all of this! Has anyone peeked in and checked?

Look, as I've posted before, we were all so darn lucky to have Bahooka for nearly fifty years. The owners were ready to retire and got an offer they couldn't refuse. No one can blame them for taking it. We're just sad we can't eat and play there anymore. No one hates losing this place more than we do!

Even though its decor will be given a new home later this year at Clifton's, the Bahooka building itself is one-of-a-kind. We will not see its type again. No one would go to this trouble to build something like this again. Meandering hallways leading to rendezvous-worthy tables, dark and mysterious. Perfectly designed for fun dining and good times. Not to mention the soothing, bubbling fishtanks that surrounded everyone. THAT'S what I hope will be saved. Sure, turn it into a Chinese restaurant or an Korean BBQ place for ten years or more. But SAVE the building and don't gut the interior!

Look, I may just be dreaming here. The value of this property will be determined entirely by whoever buys it and how expansive their imagination is. However, like Kelbo's (on Pico), IF the structure can be left alone, it will still have charm AND, more important, it will have the POTENTIAL of possibly being returned to a nautical-Tiki establishment one day.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies