Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Variances in Intoxicating Effect

Pages: 1 11 replies

ET

First post here.....Can't help but notice the differences in sensation experienced in imbibing various drinks. I'm talking same amount of Rum (as an example) but great difference in effect felt. Case in point, a QB Cooler (Grog Log version) which is one of my favourites, has a strong personal knock out effect. Just tried a Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai (from Remixed) for the first time...3 ounces of rum just like the Cooler but a much milder intoxicating effect. Which leads to my theory...do the various mixers / juices / ingredients shape or transform the intoxicating effect of a drink?

[ Edited by: Ebb Tide 2013-03-16 19:15 ]

[ Edited by: Ebb Tide 2013-03-16 19:17 ]

Well let me just say welcome to Tiki Central, Ebb Tide

Please introduce yourself in this thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6&forum=1&start=3585&3594

Since this is your first post I will not correct your unusual use of grammar in your post :lol:
which perhaps is caused by your ongoing testing in the field of "Variances in Intoxicating Effect"

But the answer is simple science: The rate of alcohol intoxication levels is slowed by the volume
of non alcoholic fluids & solid food matter that is ingested then absorbed into the bloodstream

In other words it just takes longer for the effects to happen than if you just drank 4 shots of straight
liquor which would be absorbed at a higher rate & volume in a shorter amount of time.

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Excellent reply ATP. I would also add the psychological effect.

In other words, the more alcohol you taste, the more you expect to feel it.

Could milder tasting drinks (due to the other ingredients used, even if actual alcohol content is the same) being sucked down faster be part of the equation as well? Some drinks that I enjoy practically force me to sip them slowly while others go down like water.

On 2013-03-17 05:33, poutineki wrote:
Could milder tasting drinks (due to the other ingredients used, even if actual alcohol content is the same) being sucked down faster be part of the equation as well? Some drinks that I enjoy practically force me to sip them slowly while others go down like water.

Taste can only factor in the rate of consumption plus the quantity consumed over a period of time
The variables are: The rate of alcohol consumed, The amount of alcohol consumed and taking into consideration
a person's physicality & tolerance to the amount of liquor needed to reach a certain level of intoxication.

Science Bitches! it is what makes things work.
Doctor ATP, PHD

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-17 06:17 ]

On 2013-03-17 06:13, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Taste can only factor in the rate of consumption plus the quantity consumed over a period of time
The variables are: The rate of alcohol consumed, The amount of alcohol consumed and taking into consideration
a person's physicality & tolerance to the amount of liquor needed to reach a certain level of intoxication.

Science Bitches! it is what makes things work.
Doctor ATP, PHD

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-03-17 06:17 ]

That's pretty much what I was saying. If it goes down easy, a person may drink more in less time. Thus more alcohol consumed in a given period of time versus something that they'd drink more slowly. If I suck down a fruity tasting drink with 3 oz of rum in 10 minutes it may feel like it had a stronger effect than if I slowly sipped that 3 oz of rum for 30 minutes or so. That rate of consumption thing you mentioned. The original post didn't mention if the drinks were being tossed back in a somewhat equal amount of time. It was mentioned that one of the drinks was a personal favorite so maybe it was disappearing at a faster rate then the comparison drinks.

ET

Love this scientific analysis. Appreciate your replies. Actually since I greatly prefer the stronger combos involving dark rum / angostura / pernod etc I actually tend to drink these slower not faster as I want to savor every sip. Still the slower consumption results in, for me, a greater pleasurable intoxicating effect. At any rate I will be at Hukilau 2013 and perhaps these theories could be investigated further. Perhaps a small scale laboratory could be setup for this purpose.........

On 2013-03-17 09:02, Ebb Tide wrote:
Love this scientific analysis. Appreciate your replies. Actually since I greatly prefer the stronger combos involving dark rum / angostura / pernod etc I actually tend to drink these slower not faster as I want to savor every sip. Still the slower consumption results in, for me, a greater pleasurable intoxicating effect. At any rate I will be at Hukilau 2013 and perhaps these theories could be investigated further. Perhaps a small scale laboratory could be setup for this purpose.........

A lab studying the intoxicating effects of tiki drinks! Need any volunteer lab rats?

ME! ME! ME!

I like your moniker, it has a lot Polynesian Pop history

On 2013-03-17 09:02, Ebb Tide wrote:

Like a bar?

kevin

Pages: 1 11 replies