Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New Tiki Bar Sydney Australia Build.

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies

Hi
I'm just starting a new Build in Sydney
I'm going to post about the build to help anyone down under.

Samples of timber and Bamboo strips.

Starting with a small room.

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-05-11 02:19 ]

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-05-11 02:21 ]

I'm testing types of timber - I was going to use expensive cedar but good Douglas fir / Oregon pine is giving me a nice finish and it's easy to get in Sydney. at about 1/3 the price of cedar.
I just need to find nice dry fir.

I've been burning it twice and using a soft wire brush.

I'm going to stain it also - I need to try a lighter brown colour the darker Japan Brown is to dark.

Working with the router, I picked up this ozito router for $60.00 it's small and easy to handle. I have 2 larger routers but this looked good for the job. Like the routers sign makers use.

Bamboo supplies in Sydney are hard to find I've shipped down from QLD Bamboo slats to play with from
BAMBOO AUSTRALIA
1171 Kenilworth Road
Belli Park Qld 4562
I'm going to try the 2mm bamboo woven ply 2400x1200mm at $55.00 sheet. I was quoted on 8 sheets delivery to Sydney abut $170.00 but I will probably use less.

In a few weeks I'm going to pickup some 25mm / 50mm / 80-100mm Bamboo from Caveman Bamboo in Sydney to test, Will post.

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-05-11 02:18 ]

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-05-11 02:24 ]

Feast Watson Brown Japan (spirt)- very dark on this burnt Fir.

G
Gibbo posted on Sat, May 11, 2013 3:08 AM

All the very best with your bar build up, I'll look forward to seeing the pics as you go... good to have another Aussie here too.

Cheers and Aloha,
Gibbo

Welcome Tikispeer, man you Aussies are really keeping Tiki alive down under.

one word of advice, from the photos you posted, your maybe over burning your lumber
do you intend to scrape it with a wire brush for that Witco look?

If not, you are leaving quite a bit of carbon on the wood.

On 2013-05-11 03:08, Gibbo wrote:
All the very best with your bar build up, I'll look forward to seeing the pics as you go... good to have another Aussie here too.

Cheers and Aloha,
Gibbo

Mahalo
I see a few Aussie's on Tiki Central, just amazing what people create and find.

On 2013-05-11 03:25, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Welcome Tikispeer, man you Aussies are really keeping Tiki alive down under.

one word of advice, from the photos you posted, your maybe over burning your lumber
do you intend to scrape it with a wire brush for that Witco look?

If not, you are leaving quite a bit of carbon on the wood.

Aloha
Yes going for the Witco look,
The very dark Color is due to the dark stain I used over the top of the burnt timber after brushing.
I'm going to try some walnut and cedar stain tomorrow.

We have these owls, I'm going to try to match the lighter brown.

https://tikicentral.com/uploads/77677/518e22d5.jpg

You will need to do anywhere from 4 to 8, maybe even 10 burns & scrapes to get that look
depending on the type of wood you are using, got a heavy wire brush?

you are getting there though, good luck.

I hope you keep the painted white brick!

It's awesome!!! :wink:

You have a lot of work ahead of you, thanks for posting pictures, it is fun to watch.

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 11, 2013 1:01 PM

Since you are new here, if you can't tell, Bamboo Ben is joking. His motto: "No white walls!"

On 2013-05-11 13:01, GROG wrote:
Since you are new here, if you can't tell, Bamboo Ben is joking. His motto: "No white walls!"

Hi Grog,

I't all cool, There will be no painted brick in this room.

I'm excited to follow along with this build. Alway great to watch a new space come together.

That lamp in the first picture is killer!

Dale

Aloha Tikispeer - interesting handle. Sounds like Tiki is alive and well in Aus. I'm an old bastard and can still remember going to The Island Trader and the Jungle Bar in Sydney which were the only polynesian pop establishments around in the 1960s-early 70s. There was also the Mogambo in King Street Newtown which was more of a beatnik coffee house jazz venue. Sadly all gone now.

Looking forward to seeing your space develop.

THIV out.

And P.S. - that post from Grog was the longest sentence I've seen from him.

On 2013-05-11 16:03, littlegiles wrote:
I'm excited to follow along with this build. Alway great to watch a new space come together.

That lamp in the first picture is killer!

Dale

Hi Dale, yes we picked it up from Ebay in Australia, Think it's made in the USA. it is old.

On 2013-05-11 16:38, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Aloha Tikispeer - interesting handle. Sounds like Tiki is alive and well in Aus. I'm an old bastard and can still remember going to The Island Trader and the Jungle Bar in Sydney which were the only polynesian pop establishments around in the 1960s-early 70s. There was also the Mogambo in King Street Newtown which was more of a beatnik coffee house jazz venue. Sadly all gone now.

Looking forward to seeing your space develop.

THIV out.

And P.S. - that post from Grog was the longest sentence I've seen from him.

Aloha, there is one Tiki Bar at Bondi Junction we have to get to one day.
Yes Tiki Speer like Speer from the Descendants.

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-12-19 10:15 ]

Just missed out on this yesterday. Guy was selling it in Sydney for $80.00 on gumtree but ended up giving it away for free on Ziilch the day before before we spotted it.

More testing

Mixing Feast Watson Golden Teak with Poly to test on the Bamboo.

Raw

Burnt with Golden Teak Poly.

I've ordered some Zinsser Amber Shellac to try ( yes you can get it in Australia). But will have to use poly for some things.

That's the ticket!

Love the new test photos. Bamboo and trim is looking amazing.

Dale

Great start to your bar thanks for the tips on where to get stuff. I have been looking at getting a router to practice the one you got looks like the go.

god i wish I was talented with wood instead of just being good looking and charming !!

J

Nice looking work!

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Love these images from Delta Millworks USA, time for more experiments this weekend.

Extending tiki bar out into the garage a little.

3 x burn and soft wire brush + wash down and light sand.

Now using Feast Watson Prooftint Colour Reducer mixed with these stains.

Just a quick burn and using ELM

3 burns + brush and wash and sand.. sanding killed it.

3 burns + brush and wash ELM

3 burns + brush and wash with japan brown in the router groves and ELM on the top.

3 burns + brush and wash CEDAR.

Lookin good
Love the smell of the burn

:)

H
harro posted on Wed, May 29, 2013 4:42 AM

Gday tikispeer - hats off to you for your superb investigative work on the staining/burning combinations. Do you have shares in a paint shop to buy all those bottles of stain and varnish?? Although i also love to experiment, i usually just try and make the best with what i've got in the shed as each new tub of stain or varnish gets more expensive each time...
anyway, there is quite a lot of good info on this topic deep in the buried threads of TC, just have to keep searching. I'll be keen to see your results though, especially with the locally sourced materials.

there are quite a few bamboo suppliers here in Qld if you are after comparisons, though the one you have found is well established.

i've never seen one of those rattan fishtanks in Aus before - shame you missed it.

looking forward to your next post of results...

cheers

All these pictures make me want to relax with a Mai Tai or a Zombie. Nice job.

On 2013-05-29 04:42, harro wrote:
Gday tikispeer - hats off to you for your superb investigative work on the staining/burning combinations. Do you have shares in a paint shop to buy all those bottles of stain and varnish?? Although i also love to experiment, i usually just try and make the best with what i've got in the shed as each new tub of stain or varnish gets more expensive each time...
anyway, there is quite a lot of good info on this topic deep in the buried threads of TC, just have to keep searching. I'll be keen to see your results though, especially with the locally sourced materials.

there are quite a few bamboo suppliers here in Qld if you are after comparisons, though the one you have found is well established.

i've never seen one of those rattan fishtanks in Aus before - shame you missed it.

looking forward to your next post of results...

cheers

Hi

As it turns out I had zero stains at home, samples were cheap, I've checked out a lot on the threads but thought I'd add my .02c with Sydney Australia info.
Anyway on with the show.

On 2013-06-03 22:30, skygroove wrote:
All these pictures make me want to relax with a Mai Tai or a Zombie. Nice job.

Thank you .

Pushing out the room

Using flooring sheets to line the wall, they lock together and there solid.

2.4 meter poles from caveman bamboo $15.00, Look good - just have to cut them and if OK I'll get more.

Also from Caveman
Rolls of 25mm bamboo. 2.2 meter high 2.4 meters wide.
Pre drilled for wire that holds them together. Drilled 20mm and 65 mm form each end and in the centre 1.1m.
Going to cut them in half and line 4 to 4.8 meters 90cm high of the lower part of the wall (wainscot ) for $110.00

Ended up getting 100x75mm North American oregon - about 7.50 a meter

Cut in half with saw 100x36mm

Run though the thickness planer now 92x30mm

Ended up machining my own timber so I could use old dry clean oregon.
Lots of oregon beams for sale on gumtree. The ryobi planer was $445.00 but now I have control over the size and quality.

• I have some old oregon planks to cut up.

Work starts on the door / wall

New door frame

92x30 mm oregon timber with final design. Still needs staining.

New Faux Bamboo lamp at the entrance to the future bar.

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-06-10 03:13 ]

A feel a tiki bar coming on. Good work and good prices on that bamboo. I've bought stuff from Jungle Fever near Noosa but for a lot more than you paid.

Love what you have done and the bamboo you chose. The door frame looks great.

Cool faux bamboo lamp.

• Dale

On 2013-06-10 15:03, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
A feel a tiki bar coming on. Good work and good prices on that bamboo. I've bought stuff from Jungle Fever near Noosa but for a lot more than you paid.

Aloha Mr Thurston Howell the IVth

Problem in Sydney is just getting good Bamboo from what I've found. North NSW or QLD looks to have more options.
There is a guy just north of Sydney the has a big crop of Bamboo and will sell fresh cut - Via Gumtree / ebay.
But the guys a Caveman have what I need. I just have to get the Bamboo woven ply from Bamboo Oz in Qld.

If only I could get some Bac Bac Matting. But Importing Banana leave products in to Australia is probably a pain.

On 2013-06-10 17:19, littlegiles wrote:
Love what you have done and the bamboo you chose. The door frame looks great.

Cool faux bamboo lamp.

• Dale

Thanks Dale.

To get a more 3D look to the wall I'm setting the timber 60mm out from the batons, this way I can recess the Bamboo lining and upper panels.
This skirting board ( lower grade NZ? stuff (rubbish(big growth rings )) is 60mm x 160mm 2 bits of oregon laminated together. Still to be stained

I've used 2 bits of timber for the door architrave 30 x 92 mm each.

I'm using 19mm batons to keep off the brickwork and also I'll be able to run cables behind the bamboo.

Just picked this up from ebay.

T

A few new pix.

80-100mm Bamboo run into quarters

JUst checking the pre drilled bamboo, ended up redoing the skirting board.

The 2x30mm(60mm) deep vertical timber will support the 35x125 top shelf.

Oregon timber.

I'm most jealous of your router skills. Outstanding! Can't wait to see how your space develops but it looks good so far.

A little slow - just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii. Lucky Hawaiian airlines lets you bring back 64KG's / 2 check in bags each. Lots of stuff for the room.

My Waikiki inspiration.

Pedro the parrot, US$10.00 Aloha Stadium Markets.

135mmx35mm oregon shelf. Just need to do the infill on the first wall.

[ Edited by: TikiSpeer 2013-08-13 02:29 ]

WOW....the wall with the bamboo bottom is awesome...can hardly wait to see it done. You are doing a bang up job for someone who is having to work so hard far materials...NICE!!!!

Note to self - check and replace floor if needed before you start.

Little by Little

Just starting on the other doorway

Pages: 1 2 3 97 replies