Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

How many published Zombie recipes are there? List on page 1

Pages: 1 26 replies

A

Ive noticed a lot of people are a bit, ummm, purist about the Zombie. Particularly the 1934 - I'm just saying!

We are all making efforts to recreate the flavour we don't know - unless we are 90 odd & can still remember our youth.

I've made a few 'google' recipes that weren't great. I've quite enjoyed Beachbum recipes Ive made subbing Woods 100 as I haven't had any LH151. Therefore technically not a 'real' Zombie in some eyes. Unless we've used the specific rums used at the time, technically, no-one has had any 'real' Zombies for a while!

Anyway, I have located a missing part of the my Zombie puzzle - a LH151 supplier to the UK & will be ordering some soon.

I recently discovered that Grog Log had another Zombie recipe. Wait - what!?! I'd not heard of that one!

I found out a bit more about the recipe & got to thinking: no doubt there are a lot of Zombie recipes out there but how many can we find in print?

I'm not talking about the ones you can find on drinks databases from Google without a source, I'm thinking of the 'forgotten' tiki bar recipes like the ones below circa 1930 to 1970! Id like to collate them.

So far through contributions on TC we have:

ABC of Mixing Cocktails 1919 (page 1 of this thread)
Beachcomber 1934 (Intoxica)
Beachomber / Winnipeg Free Press 1938 (Wikipedia)
Gentleman's Companion 1939 (page 1 of this thread)
Whitfield 1941 (Wikipedia)
Ronrico Hot Zombie 1941 (Sippin Safari)
Trader Vic / Life 1944 (Wikipedia)
Tonga Room 1945 (Remixed)
Carioca 1947 (page 1 of this thread)
Trader Vic 1947 (Trader Vics Bartenders Guide)
D Embury 1948 (page 1 of this thread)
Beachcomber / Speivak 1950 (Sipping Safari / Remixed)
Tahitian Room Canado 1950s (page 2 of this thread)
Skipper Kents 1950s (page 2 of this thread)
Luau Room 1950s (page 2 of this thread)
Saucier 'Bottoms Up' 1952 (page 1 of this thread)
Beachcomber / Cabaret Magazine 1956 (Sippin Safari)
Esquire 1956 (page 2 of this thread)
Aku Aku Restaurant 1964 (Remixed)
Boston Deluxe 1968 (page 1 of this thread)
South Seas Restaurant 1970s (Remixed)
Drinks of Hawaii 1970s (page 1 of this thread)
Cocktails In A Shake 1974 (page 1 of this thread)
Duffys 'Simplified' 1975 (page 1 of this thread)
Tiburon Tommie 1990 (page 2 of this thread)
Beachcomber / Bitner & Beach 2001 (Wikipedia)
Beachbum 'Simplified' 2007 (Remixed)
Atomicgrog 2011 (page 2 of this thread)
Far Bar Asian 2012 (page 2 of this thread)

Undated:
Duffy 1940 or 1934 (Grog Log, page 2 of this thread)
Grossman's Guide (page 1 of this thread)
Mandarin House (page 2 of this thread)

All dates are likely the subject of debate! They may represent the year the drink appeared or when a book was published.

Anyone got any more published 'forgotten' tiki bar recipes?

If you can add another I'll edit the above list to put them in chronological order ~ yes I am thinking of mixing through them all!

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-21 15:06 ]

That's quite the endeavor! I'll be curious to see what contributions you get. If you look at the recent posts, it looks like most of the activity on TC is either event focused or tiki carving focused. My suspicion is that it's just the time of year, but TC has been around for a long time and I'm sure for most if the old timers it seems like lots of topics have been discussed to death. I, for one, appreciate your enthusiasm!

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute. :)

Does anybody here have a copy (or reproduction) of Patrick Gavin Duffy's 1934 Mixer's Manual? I know there is a 1948 edition and I can understand the Beachcomber 1934 Zombie being twaeked and reinterpreted and mutated into Duffy's version over the course of 14 years, but I have a harder time believing that Duffy's very out there Zombie was printed in a cocktail book the very same year Donn first concocted the drink. I understand that with Donn's secretiveness regarding his recipes that imitator's versions are going to be all over the map as far as the presumptive ingredients, but it just seems too uncannily timely for Duffy to have published such a far-removed recipe the same year Donn introduced his.

And all in the year after Repeal to boot!

I love all this cocktail history!

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-08-19 18:35 ]

G

The Hawaii Kai cookbook from the 70's may have had one. I just moved but haven't found all the bar books yet.

gabbahey

On 2013-08-19 18:33, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Does anybody here have a copy (or reproduction) of Patrick Gavin Duffy's 1934 Mixer's Manual?

I have a copy of The Official Mixer's Manual, by Patrick Gavin Duffy. It is apparently a 1940 reprint of the 1934 edition. After the title page, it says:

Copyright 1940 by
BLUE RIBBON BOOKS, INC.

Copyright 1934 by
ALTA PUBLICATIONS, INC.

I suspect the Zombie was inserted for the 1940 printing, because it differs in style from the other recipes. It specifies ounces, where in the other recipes, Duffy says, e.g., "1/2 Dry Gin" and "Use glass number 10". It would be interesting to see if this recipe is in the original 1934 printing, if anyone has a copy.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-20 09:09 ]

D

Okay, I'm game! :)

Here's the first one, as printed.

Harry's ABC of Mixing Cocktails: with new material from the Harry’s Bar team
By Harry MacElhone
Souvenir Press, 1919, 1986, 1996, 2010

In a very tall tumbler: 1 ounce of Jamaica Rum, 1 ounce of Light Rum, 1/4 ounce of Cointreau. Add equal parts of Lime Juice, Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, 2 dashes of Grenadine. Stir and decorate with fruit, float 151 Proof Rum on top.

D

Professional Mixing Guide: The Accredited List of Recognized and Accepted Standard Formulas for Mixed Drinks
The Angostura-Wuppermann Corporation, 1947, 1950

Original and authentic Carioca recipe

1oz tropical heavy bodied rum, 2oz Puerto Rican or Cuban Gold Label rum, 1oz. White Label rum, 2 teaspoonfuls apricot brandy, 3/4oz unsweetened pineapple juice, 3/4oz papaya juice, 1 teaspoonful fine granulated sugar, juice of 1 lime. Shake well with plenty of cracked ice and pour unstrained into a 14oz zombie glass. Float a splash of 151 proof tropical heavy bodied rum on top. Spike on a toothpick, in the order named, 1 green cherry, 1/2 inch pineapple stick, 1 red cherry. Decorate with this and a sprig of mint. Sprinkle powdered sugar over all and serve.

The Zombie recipe that I first started using in 1979 was one I got from Grossman's Guide to Wine, Beer and Spirits (not sure which edition). I had to give it up for a while, due to no longer being able to find Falernum (it was Sazerac ) and Lemon Hart 151. Now that I have those again, I still make one, now and then.

ZOMBIE (from Grossman's Guide)
3/4 oz. lime juice (save a shell)
3/4 oz. pineapple juice
1 teaspoon Falernum syrup
1/2 ounce apricot liqueur
1 oz light rum
2 oz medium rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1/2 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum
Shake all but Demerara with ice. Strain into 14-ounce chimney glass filled with crushed ice and the spent lime shell. Float the Demerara. Garnish with pineapple/cherry on a pick, and mint sprigs.

D

[Included misspellings, etc. from source.]

The Gentleman's Companion
Charles H. Baker Jr.
Derrydale Press, 1939

AN EXOTIC COCONUT-COGNAC COCKTAIL from CAP HAITIEN, REPUBLIC de HAITI, and which Is CALLED the ZOMBIE

Any one who knows his Haiti and his Vaudou knows what a Zombie is; and for those who don't, a Zombie is merely a departed brother who, for reasons not generally attractive, has been called back from the Spirit World, labours without pay, without food, without complaint, in a weird sort of spirit bondage. . . . We have just helped "spring" an artist friend, Christopher Clark, from a five months' stay in Cap Haitien, where he had been soaking up material and madly painting the unbelievable scenery and even more unbelievable people of Haiti, as a follow-up to the wave of acclaim which greeted his The Crapshooters, in last year's American Art Exhibit at Rockefeller Center, and we fetched him via Pan American to do a mural for us.

Chris brought back a long list of amazing cookery receipts, too late for this volume, but we are squeezing in this Zombie Cocktail, he claiming that it will put the spirits to work for you, but whether they or ourselves, are in bondage, is something for each man to decide according to occasion and the needs thereof.

Enriched coconut milk, see be- Maraschino, 2 ponies
low, 1 cup or so Angostura, 2 or 3 dashes
Cognac, 3 jiggers Very finely cracked or shaved ice

Put in shaker with lots of very finely cracked ice, shake hard and turn ice and all—à Ia Daiquiri—into small, chilled goblets. . . . Another variation, and a much better flavoured one we find, is found by using only two jiggers cognac, and one jigger old Haitian—or other medium dark—rum.

Enriched coconut milk: Get a ripe coconut anywhere. Bore two holes in eyes and drain out water into saucepan—being careful to strain out fibres or bits of shell. . . . Crack open nut, peel off brown outer skin from kernel, and either grate, grind, or cut up fine and add to water. . . . Fetch to a simmer for five minutes. Put through a fine cloth, squeezing out the final rich cream by hand. Ripe fresh coconuts can be had in most good grocery stores these days. . . . Those possessing The Mixer will save an incredible amount of time by cutting up kernel, with brown part unremoved, into the top container of The Mixer; turn in the coconut juice. Reduce to a pulp at high speed for 1 minute, then rub through a very fine sieve, or strain through several thicknesses of cloth.

D

By the time the 1975 edition of Duffy's book came out, the recipe had changed to a more simplified version.

The Official Mixer’s Manual
Patrick Gavin Duffy
Revised and Enlarged by Robert Jay Misch
Doubleday & Company, 1934, 1940, 1948, 1955, 1956, 1975

1 Jigger Dark Rum
1 Jigger Medium Rum
1 Jigger Light Rum
1 Jigger Pineapple Juice
1 Jigger Papaya Juice (optional)
Juice of 1 Lime
1 Teaspoon Powdered Sugar

Shake well with ice. Pour into tall glass. Garnish with Pineapple and Cherries. On top float a little Medium Rum.

Those are great; thanks, David!

Here's the recipe from the 1947 Bartender's Guide, by Trader Vic. (In the 1972 edition, it had changed to a weaker, juicier recipe.)

ZOMBIE (1947 TVBG)
1 oz. Jamaica rum
2 oz. Puerto Rican rum
1/2 oz. 151-proof Demerara rum
1 oz. orange curacao
1 oz. lemon juice
1 oz. orange juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
1 dash Pernod or Herbsaint
Mix in mixing glass with large piece of ice; stir well and pour over cracked ice in 14-oz. chimney glass. Serve with straws.

This recipe is from the 1952 edition of Ted Saucier's Bottoms Up:

ZOMBIE
Courtesy, Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco
1 oz. white rum
1/2 oz. dark rum
1/2 oz. 151-proof rum
1 oz. Passion Fruit
1/2 oz. pineapple juice
1 oz. lime juice
Blend in electric mixer. Serve in 14-oz. highball glass, to which has been added shaved ice. Decorate with slice fresh lemon, slice fresh lime, maraschino cherry.

S

In making the Grogalizer, I also had the issue that The Bum threw curve balls on the Zombie. He renamed them and juggled the recipes. I seem to recall in one book he had a "50's Zombie" and in another the "Mid-Century Zombie" but the recipes did not exactly jive, so I had to guess.

On 2013-08-20 08:24, Limbo Lizard wrote:
The Zombie recipe that I first started using in 1979 was one I got from Grossman's Guide to Wine, Beer and Spirits (not sure which edition). I had to give it up for a while, due to no longer being able to find Falernum (it was Sazerac ) and Lemon Hart 151. Now that I have those again, I still make one, now and then.

ZOMBIE (from Grossman's Guide)
3/4 oz. lime juice (save a shell)
3/4 oz. pineapple juice
1 teaspoon Falernum syrup
1/2 ounce apricot liqueur
1 oz light rum
2 oz medium rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1/2 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum
Shake all but Demerara with ice. Strain into 14-ounce chimney glass filled with crushed ice and the spent lime shell. Float the Demerara. Garnish with pineapple/cherry on a pick, and mint sprigs.

I think that's the exact version in my bartending school notes. I was on my azz after consuming that.

Found some additions to the list.

Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide 1968 Edition:

1 oz Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
Juice 1 Lime
Juice 1 Small Orange
1/2 oz Old Mr. Boston Apricot Flavored Brandy
2 1/2 oz Old Mr. Boston Imported Rum
1 oz Jamaica Rum
1 oz Passion Fruit Juice may be added
Add cracked ice and agitate for full minute in electric mixing machine (if none available, shake very well in cocktail shaker), and strain into 14oz frosted zombie glass. Decorate with square of pineapple and 1 green and 1 red cherry. Carefully float 1/2 oz 151 proof Demerara Rum and then top with sprig of fresh Mint dipped in powdered sugar. Serve with straws.

Wonder which edition this recipe appeared in first...

From 1974's 1001 Cocktails in a Shake (by Coles Books), a slight twist on the above recipe:

1 oz Passion Fruit Juice
1 oz Plum or Apricot Juice
Juice 1 small lime - drop in skin
1 Dash bitters
1/2 oz Anisette
2 1/2 oz Rum
1/2 oz Apricot Flavored Brandy
2/3 oz Demerara Rum, 151 proof
1 oz Jamaica rum
1 oz Porto Rican Gold Label Rum
(Exact same instructions as above, word for word)

From Drinks of Hawaii (a colorful, illustrated manual with various 1970s printings), a new spin:

1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz Light Rum
1/2 oz Orange Curacao
1/2 oz Sweet Vermouth
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Orange Juice
FLoat 1 oz Dark 151° Rum
Pour all ingredients into a tall chimney glass, saving 151° for the kill. Fill with crushed ice and float. Garnish with a first aid kit.

I have an 1980 edition of David A. Embury's Mixing Drinks (originally The Art of Mixing Drinks) but I'm not sure if the Zombie appeared in either the 1948 or 1953 editions. He actually has an interesting, if a little controversial, write up on the Zombie:

This is undoubtedly the most overadvertised, overemphasized, overexalted, and foolishly feared drink whose claims to glory ever assaulted the eyes and ears of the gullible American public.
Actually, as a drink, it is not bad at all; but the claims made for it and the advertising by which it has been touted, as well as one feature of the formula, offend my sensibilities in three respects.
First of all, I am allergic to secret formulas for mixing drinks at a bar or in the home. The Zombie formula is supposed to be the jealously guarded secret of Don the Beachcomber, of Hollywood. One of the rum distilleries, however, states that they devised the original formula. Charles Baker, Jr., states that he invented a quite different formula some two years ahead of Don the Beachcomber. All of this mystery, of course, is calculated to inspire curiosity and thus advertise the drink.
Second, I am also allergic to any fear-inspiring slogans such as "Only two to a customer." Everyone except Caspar Milquetoast, of course, comes back for a third just to pit his personal prowess against the allegedly devastating power of the drink. This not only is the cheapest type of advertising; it is also a steal and a perversion of the old claim of Southern Comfort of a "self-imposed limit of two to a person."
Third, the multiplicity of various rums and other ingredients is an offense against the first principles of drink mixing and adds nothing to the flavor of other value of the drink. Two rums - white Cuban for the base and a dash of Jamaica for flavor - would do as well as four or five. The 151-proof Demerara adds nothing to the flavor of the drink, and the quantitiy used is too microscopic to add appreciably to the alcoholic strength. The mere mention of 151-proof liquor, however, is sufficient to add to the mental hazard of the unsophisticated consumer of the drink.
Twenty different bars serving this drink will probably put out eighteen to twenty different versions of it. In the main, however, each drink will be concocted approximately as follows:
1 teaspoonful Sugar Syrup*
1/2 to 3/4 ounce Lime Juice
3/4 ounce fresh Pineapple Juice**
1 ounce White Label Rum
2 ounces Gold Lable Rum***
1 ounce Jamaica Rum
2 teaspoonfuls Apricot Liqueur****
1/2 to 3/4 ounce mysterious ingredient*****
*Falernum or orgeat my be used in place of the sugar syrup
**The less conscientious bars, of course, may use canned, unsweetened pineapple juice.
***Just for the sake of making it more complicated this may be changed to 1 ounce gold label rum and 1 ounce Barbados or Haitian rum.
****For the same reason this may be changed to 1 teaspoonful apricot and 1 teaspoonful cherry. Sometimes the liqueurs are used and sometimes brandies.
*****This is usually papaya juice. Sometimes it is coconut juice. Sometimes - and preferably - this ingredient is omitted altogether.
The above ingredients are shaken with crushed ice and poured, with the ice, into a Zombie glass (a 14- to 16-ounce Collins glass will do just as well). From 1/2 to 1 teaspoonful of 151-proof Demerara rum is then floated on top and the drink is decorated with slices of orange and lemon, pink and green cherries, a pineapple stick, and several sprigs of mint. Finally, powdered sugar is sprinkled over all. And there, brother, is your Zombie, grandfather of all pixies, and great-uncle to the gremlins.

Quite a wordy and possibly offensive write-up! Anyone know if this tirade appears in either of the earlier editions?

[ Edited by: Brandomoai 2013-08-20 15:06 ]

H

Esquire Drink Book 1956

Zombie
2/3 jigger Jamaica rum 90 proof
1 1/3 jiggers dark rum 86 proof
2/3 jigger light rum 86 proof
2/3 jigger pineapple juice
2/3 jigger papaya juice if available
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
float on top Demerara 151 proof
They suggest sprinkling the white sugar at the end on top of the drink lightly.

There are two other versions in the book one is called Zombie A La No 1 Boy and the other is called Zombie A La Puerto Rico.

A

Zombie
From Tiburon Tommie's Mai Tai, Tiburon, Calif., circa 1990
*½ oz Lemon Juice
*¼ oz Lime Juice
*4 oz Hawaiian Punch
*½ oz Orange Curaçao
*1 oz Light Rum
*1 oz Gold Rum
*1 oz Dark Rum

Blend ingredients with crushed ice for five seconds on high and pour into a large glass or tiki mug. Garnish with a mint sprig.

Zombie
From The Tahitian Room of the Waldorf Hotel, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 1950s
*½ oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*½ oz Demerara Rum
*½ oz Barbados Rum
*2 oz Pineapple Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Grenadine
*Orange Curacao (float)

Blend all ingredients, except Curacao, with crushed ice in a blender and pour into a tall glass. Float Curacao. Garnish with a mint sprig and pineapple wedge.

Zombie
From Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, Calif., circa 1950s
*2 oz Light Rum
*1 oz Dark Rum
*1 oz Orange Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Grenadine

Blend ingredients with ice. Pour into a frosted chimney glass. Garnish with a parasol and a straw. A later revision of this cocktail replaced the grenadine with two dashes of Hawaiian Punch.

Zombie
From the Mandarin House, San Diego, Calif.
*2 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*1 oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*3 oz House Mix *

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with crushed ice. Shake well and pour contents into a tiki mug. Garnish with pineapple wedge and cocktail cherry.

*House Mix: 1 part orange juice, 1 part pineapple juice, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part grenadine

Asian Zombie
From the Far Bar, Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, Calif., 2012
*1 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum
*1 oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*1 oz 151-proof Puerto Rican Rum
*½ oz Blue Curaçao
*2 oz Pineapple Juice
*¾ oz Lemon Juice
*¾ oz Simple Syrup

Shake ingredients with crushed ice in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a tall glass and garnish with a lemon slice and a cocktail cherry.

Atomic Zombie
From Atomicgrog.com, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., 2011
*½ oz Lime Juice
*½ oz Lemon Juice
*½ oz Light Nicaraguan Rum
*½ oz Gold Guatemalan Rum
*¾ oz Dark Jamaican Rum
*¾ oz 151-proof Demerara Rum
*½ oz Elderflower Water
*⅛ oz Falernum
*¼ oz Demerara Sugar Syrup
*¼ oz Don’s Mix
*2 dashes Peychaud Bitters
*Absinthe
*Demerara Sugar
*Large Mint Sprig

Moisten rim of chilled glass with a lime wedge and dip in ground Demerara sugar. Coat inside of glass with absinthe. Place mint in shaker and gently muddle for 15 to 20 seconds, coating bottom and sides of shaker with oils from mint. Add rums and gently muddle for another 15 to 20 seconds. Add remaining ingredients to shaker. Add 1 cup of cubed ice and shake vigorously for 15 to 20 seconds. Strain drink into glass.

Zombie
From the Luau Room of the Hotel del Coronado, Coronado, Calif., circa 1950s.
*2 oz Passion Fruit Juice
*1 oz Lemon Juice
*2 dashes Orgeat Syrup
*1½ oz Boston Rum
*¾ oz Gold Puerto Rican Rum
*¾ oz Martinique Rum
*1 dash 151-proof Demerara Rum
*1 dash Pernod

Shake everything – except 151-proof Demerara Rum – with ice cubes. Pour into tall glass. Float Demerara 151-proof on top of drink. Garnish with ½ slice pineapple, orange slice, cocktail cherry, pineapple leaf and mint sprig.

On 2013-08-20 07:52, Limbo Lizard wrote:

On 2013-08-19 18:33, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Does anybody here have a copy (or reproduction) of Patrick Gavin Duffy's 1934 Mixer's Manual?

I have a copy of The Official Mixer's Manual, by Patrick Gavin Duffy. It is apparently a 1940 reprint of the 1934 edition...
...I suspect the Zombie was inserted for the 1940 printing, because it differs in style from the other recipes...

I confirmed my suspicion. The Zombie recipe was NOT in Duffy's original 1934 version. I found a Google image of that same page (209) from the 1934 edition. After the 'Sunshine Cocktail', there was just empty space. The Zombie was added in the empty space, beginning with the 1940 edition.
:down: page 209, 1934 and 1940 versions :down:

Thanks for confirming that. It was my assumption as well that Duffy would not have been so on the ball as to have had a Zombie recipe in 1934 if that was the very year Donn invented it.

D

I have an 1980 edition of David A. Embury's Mixing Drinks (originally The Art of Mixing Drinks) but I'm not sure if the Zombie appeared in either the 1948 or 1953 editions. He actually has an interesting, if a little controversial, write up on the Zombie:

That's in the original 1948 version, according to someone who has it. Amusing, although a bit overblown. :)

I'll vouch for the Duffy version (as reprinted in the 1st ed of Grog Log). It may be way off from the original, but it will zombify you nonetheless. Also introduced me to the wonders of Applejack; gotta love that!

I'm guessing this was one of AdOrAdam's first references: http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Zombie
It gives a pretty good picture of some of the earliest publications referencing this recipe, although it looks like they got the date wrong on Duffy. Even still, would Duffy's 1940 edition be the earliest appearance of a zombie recipe in a bartender's guide? I'm guessing that 1938 Winnipeg Free Press reference was from a newspaper and the next appearance so far is 1941. My guess is that Duffy's was the first in print to include a fruit brandy (apple brandy, which seems to have translated into apricot-flavored brandy from there) and pineapple and papaya juices, which certainly became common in printed recipes thereafter. However, I assume this recipe was based on widespread imitations that would have been popping up all over in the mid-to-late 30s, especially after the 1938 World's Fair. I wonder how much influence these imitations had on Donn's amended 1950s recipe, or was it just that he felt tastes had changed? This discussion seems familiar and is probably already summed up in another thread. Let's keep on track here! Any clues on how some of the other big temples were doing their zombies back in the day?

BTW, readers of this thread may wish to dip back into this earlier Zombie Recipe discussion. It begins before, and continues after, Berry acquired the loose-leaf pocket drink notebook of Dick Santiago, who worked at Don's between 1937-53, with its Zombie Punch recipe.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3892&forum=10&start=0
I've updated it with my discovery that the Zombie recipe was NOT in the initial 1934 edition of Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual, since that was also a controversy within that thread.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-21 12:15 ]

A

On 2013-08-19 15:41, TikiTacky wrote:
That's quite the endeavor! I'll be curious to see what contributions you get... TC has been around for a long time and I'm sure for most if the old timers it seems like lots of topics have been discussed to death. I, for one, appreciate your enthusiasm!

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute :)

Cheers TikiTacky, much appreciated comment for a 1st poster. I second the motion: Tiki Central needs a 'I, for one, appreciate your enthusiasm! Sadly, I have nothing to contribute' button :)

On 2013-08-21 08:13, Brandomoai wrote:
I'm guessing this was one of AdOrAdam's first references: http://wiki.webtender.com/wiki/Zombie

Not even that! My first recipe was this miscellaneous one: http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink624.html

I subbed the overproof rum & brought apricot brandy specially for the occasion... I was severally disappointed! In fairness, I knew how to make cocktails back then but tiki requires a bit more 'something' I have more of now. I didnt try another Zombie til I got Sippin Safari about a year ago.

On 2013-08-21 10:44, Limbo Lizard wrote:
BTW, readers of this thread may wish to dip back into this earlier Zombie Recipe discussion... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=3892&forum=10&start=0

I read that post before creating this thread - cheers to you Mr Limbo Lizard :) Note the post by Alnshely on page one - pretty much the 1934 Zombie isnt it? Considering it was posted in 2003, four years before Sippin Safari was posted...

We're up to 32 recipes now (chronologically ordered on page 1) :)

FYI, there's a newly updated recipe for The Mai-Kai's Zombie up now on The Atomic Grog, along with lots of discussion of the drink's history ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/01/mai-kai-cocktail-review-the-theory-of-evolution-of-the-zombie/#tribute

Trader Vic's 1944 recipe, from Life magazine, is listed in the roll of recipes in the first post, sourced to Wikipedia. I noticed Martiki posted this recipe in another Zombie thread, back in 2003, but I'll include it here.

The recipe is on page 82 of Life, Sept. 4, 1944 issue. (The article about Trader Vic's begins on page 79, and Google Books has it, here.)

"1 oz. orange-lime juice"? What is this enigmatic ingredient from the days of yore?
After a bit of searching, I believe this may refer to the rangpur lime, sometimes called a mandarin-lime, in the U.S. Apparently quite tart, very seedy, and used in place of limes in cocktails, especially with gin.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-05-21 12:51 ]

So I just attempted to make the Aku Aku Zombie on page 172 of Beachbum Berry's Remixed [actually, a double...], and I sort of fudged the "Zombie Mix" portion of it by using the 1/8th teaspoon method. It turned out somewhat too cinnamon or tart, so; in desperation and wanting to save the liquor already in the mug, added about 3 ounces of orange juice...and it has leveled out to be a wonderful drink. I was just curious if anyone has a 'Go To' avenue to attempt to save an otherwise yucky drink...? I thank you for your indulgence - JV

Pages: 1 26 replies