Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

New member, new build and new to Tiki

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies

D
dtel posted on Mon, Sep 9, 2013 11:00 PM

New here and have been reading a lot, it's addicting looking at all the great looking builds and reading the stories.

I have to admit we started a hut before I found this site. It was going to be a Tiki Bar but like most people I really didn't know what that really means, still not sure. The more I read the more I learn, so it will be a build and learn as I go thing, so for now I will just call it a Hut as not to offend.

It started as a project to redo our front garden/landscaping, we live in the country so the front yard is fine, hidden from the road (to the right 100' away in pic) by 2 rows of large Azalea's. There was a pond with waterlillies and Koi surrounded by gardens when we decided to make a change. After about 15 years of that we wanted something different so we went with the hut idea, we like doing this kind of stuff, my wife and I did landscaping as a living and still enjoy it.

It's all still rough, just getting started but happy so far (I love building things). The frame of the hut is up and I started the bar and have some landscaping in, we have a long long way to go.

This is the only pic I have so far, it's just some temporary white Christmas lights hung for when we sit out there at night. The hut is 16' wide and 24' long, we live in the South and need the shade in the summer for sure.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-09-09 23:09 ]

Where are you located?

-Longboard

D
dtel posted on Tue, Sep 10, 2013 9:45 AM

Sorry about that, South Mississippi, one hour North of New Orleans.
Thought I filled that in, after looking back I see what I did wrong I didn't add the password, fixed thanks.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-09-10 09:50 ]

Welcome to Tiki Central dtel. Lots of potential there, lots of space to fill. Have fun!!! :D

A

Big tiki space = jealous! :) My kitchen doesn't compare...

I agree...you are lucky to have that much space...the sky is the limit!!! Welcome to Tiki Central and best of luck with your "hut". Once you get started it will be addictive.

D
dtel posted on Thu, Sep 12, 2013 6:25 PM

It is a lot of space, it's going to take me a long time to get it right.

This is how the bar is coming along, the back bar still needs to go in, Bamboo on the front then a lot of sanding before the finish.

D
dtel posted on Thu, Sep 12, 2013 6:35 PM

The top is 2x12's cut smaller in the back to make the curve, that was a headache figuring out the angle, they are screwed in from the bottom. the back shelf on the bar will be made the same way. It's over 16' around the long side(where you sit)should seat 7-8 people ?

I really like the way wood looks burned so that's what I think I want to do then some Spar Varnish.

D
dtel posted on Thu, Sep 12, 2013 6:45 PM

Just to give you an idea how it's laid out, the burning wood idea was straight from the TC forum, never heard of it before so I wet crazy and burned every inch of the hut and everything you can see from inside the back of the bar.

After looking at home huts I am thinking about some fish netting for the ceiling to hide it a little, I have a bunch of old trawl netting. The problem is it's a greenish bluish color, should I try to change it or leave it that color, or skip the nets altogether ? The light are temporary, maby some colored lights ?

I have a looong way to go !

H

It is always fun to see progress pictures. Keep us posted.

Love the shape of the bar. If I hadn't already built mine I'd seriously consider "borrowing" that design :) A+

You're off to a great start, can't wait to see more!

T

Looks awesome- I'm working on preliminary design for my home bar, love the circular design- will be a beefy bar top w/ the 2x12s. Dig the idea of using the varying cut pieces to make the arc, should look killer when finished. Can't wait to see what you're going to do next.... thanks for posting!

Seeing the progress is going to be awesome - I can't wait! Great job so far.

D
dtel posted on Mon, Sep 16, 2013 9:35 PM

Thanks everyone, about all I have been doing is sanding, and I hate sanding but almost done.

I wanted to use marine spar varnish for the top, what are some of the brands people here have used ?

It's in the shade except for early morning and late evening and could get some rain if the wind was really blowing. Thinking about Z SPAR
1015 Captain's Varnish, but not finished looking ?

Thanks

D
dtel posted on Mon, Sep 16, 2013 10:02 PM

Just realized I did add the back shelf to the bar since the last pics. I have been running the orbital sander hard, it's like a 2' wide counter 28' long between the top 16' and bottom 13'.

I hate sanding even more now but the wife keeps saying, "you know it's the most important part" which does not make it any more fun. This was after sanding twice with 60 grit and once with 125, still going to go again with 220 to finish it off.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-09-16 22:05 ]

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-09-16 22:10 ]

D
dtel posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2013 10:48 AM

Still here just slow progress but it's moving along.

The front of the bar is covered and sanding the top is done, except between coats.

D
dtel posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2013 10:51 AM

3 sealer coats and 2 normally thinned coats of marine spar varnish, a few more coats and the top will be done.

D
dtel posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2013 11:01 AM

I didn't want to take up space behind the bar with a sink so we made it freestanding, plus we have grandkids around so it will be more handy for use for everyone out there to be in a more central place. It's an old time porcelean style my son in law had laying around and donated.

This space will be used a lot for everything from birthday parties to regular parties so were trying to make in convienent. I say used a lot because they are already planning parties and different ways it can be used, the grandkids already want the birthday parties out there.

This is not finished, just roughly sitting in place to see if will work there. Next step building bar stools and seating.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-05 11:03 ]

Looking good!

D
dtel posted on Sat, Oct 5, 2013 11:16 AM

On 2013-09-11 20:04, VampiressRN wrote:
I agree...you are lucky to have that much space...the sky is the limit!!! Welcome to Tiki Central and best of luck with your "hut". Once you get started it will be addictive.

I now understand, it is very addictive you are right.

The more I do the more ideas I get, already have plans for a pond and other things like covering the inside roof and the ends.

One day I will get around to actually trying to make a few tiki's, I am saving this for later I don't want to get discouraged early on.

Lookin good bruddah
Cheers

Jon

Lookin' good! I just LOVE that bar top!!!!

Can't see what you do next.

That circular bar is the bomb! Nicely done.

TM

Very, very cool! Your climate there is practically tropical...you could add more typical ornamental tropical foliage, and they would thrive...Philodendrons, palms, bamboo....etc. bet you could also install some sort of lava rock streams, fountains, waterfalls, etc..you clearly have the space.

Love the circular bar...expert quality work!

D
dtel posted on Tue, Oct 8, 2013 8:54 PM

Thanks everyone.

I definitely want a pond along one side and the area around the hut has only been planted with some trees, other plantings are needed for sure. We do get in the teens and twenties at night with a cold winter so I can't go with everything I want. The fence line behind the bar in the pic is clumping bamboo, we have it bordering almost three sides of this 6 acres, probably over 500' long.
We did landscaping for almost 20 years and have grown impatient with plants that freeze easily, but wanting some tropical looking plants will force me to deal with it.

I need some bar stools for sure, probably what's next. I have a really long way to go but I really like the idea of going slow, (not that I have a choice) I keep getting other ideas the more time I spend out there.

TY

WOW, Awesome Bar!!!!!

H

I'm sure the Drinks are going to taste a lot better coming off from a Bar like that !!! Really nice work all around !!

D
dtel posted on Thu, Oct 10, 2013 10:35 PM

I can't wait to try it out, going to take a break from the varnishing for a little while, that's 3 coats @ 50 thinner and 5 coats thinned @ 25%. I found some good info on how to do it here......

http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Article/All-About-Oil-Based-Varnish-7519.aspx

I did hang a hammock between a couple of the poles, very relaxing, ever more with a good drink which I have yet to try !

Were leaving on a cruise Sunday, while gone I am going to look for some different ideas, not Tiki in the Caribbean but lots of other thatch covered structures and bamboo, ya never know ?

The hammock we have now is from Roatan Honduras, going to look for a couple more while there considering they were around $15 and comfortable. I put hooks in the poles so the hammocks can be removed and not permanent.

M

Wow! I love that circular bar! That is beautiful! Nice work!

Indeed...your circular bar is awesome. I like the separate sink too. BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!

T

BeauuuuTiful. Well done.

D
dtel posted on Mon, Oct 21, 2013 1:23 PM

Thanks everyone

We have been gone for a week, no progress on the hut, but much progress was made here and many other places just as nice.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-21 13:26 ]

D
dtel posted on Mon, Oct 21, 2013 1:44 PM

On 2013-10-20 10:44, VampiressRN wrote:

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

And I did use the VampriessRN line, and it worked great !

Not a cocktail but just to break them up these work great on the hammocks under the palm trees.

K

Awesome ! Our designs are quite the same . :)

Now that's the kind of "progress" I can really get behind! :)

D
dtel posted on Tue, Nov 12, 2013 10:01 AM

Need some opinion's

If it were yours would you do this, I have no shortage of bamboo around the 3/4" size and a little smaller.

It's a pain to do this but I hate the bright metal roof you see on the inside and this is free but a lot of labor by me. I will do something that metal has got to be covered. Each section will be filled in so you see no metal, it would take a while but would be finished eventually.

The other idea would cover all the wood, bamboo reed fencing stuff with larger bamboo covering the seams and wherever it's needed. I think this idea would last longer ?

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-12 10:04 ]

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-12 10:09 ]

I'd only be concerned about bugs.

Trader Vic's used to get Japanese Newspapers and wallpaper them to the underside of their sheet metal.

Looked great!

-Longboard

D
dtel posted on Tue, Nov 12, 2013 11:37 AM

Never thought about bugs, there were some lizards climbing around in it this morning, probably looking for bugs.

I stuck in the last few pieces to give you a better idea of what it would look like.

I like the Trader Vic's idea, that would look good.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-12 11:42 ]

Looks great with that bamboo.

Glad that cocktail request verbiage came in handy.

I like it either way, but of course the bamboo make it look more "Tiki" :tiki:

D
dtel posted on Sat, Nov 30, 2013 10:52 PM

Almost done with the bamboo on top, a little more here and there. I like it, way better than that metal showing, and was a lot more work than I thought.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-11-30 22:54 ]

I like it too.

Good lookin boo

Z

Looks great! You're lucky to have free bamboo to work with! I'm sure some more crafty ideas will come along for its use as well. If it dries to brown relatively fast I'd be cutting a bunch for trim work, tiki lights, shelving, just about anything 3/4" would be good for. And that bar rocks!

Turned out great!!!

D
dtel posted on Sun, Dec 1, 2013 5:13 PM

On 2013-12-01 13:45, Zinctiki wrote:
Looks great! You're lucky to have free bamboo to work with! I'm sure some more crafty ideas will come along for its use as well. If it dries to brown relatively fast I'd be cutting a bunch for trim work, tiki lights, shelving, just about anything 3/4" would be good for. And that bar rocks!

Thanks everybody

I was going to cut some extra and look for ways to use it. I was thinking lighting but will have to look for some designs I like and could actually make, some look way past what I could do. I like the shelf idea, behind the bar would work well, good idea.

What is missing from this clump is about 2/3 of what is in the roof. I wanted to cut the rest of that clump so it will grow back like it should so I will just cut and let the rest dry. I would think I should tie them up so they will dry straight ?

Average size is 3/4" with many 1", this clump is about 25' tall. All the other bamboo I have is 3/4" at the most.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-12-01 17:15 ]

I love the bamboo on the roof! Add me to the list of people who are jealous of your crop. I'm sure you'll find tons of crafty things you can do with it. I know to you it seems like things are going slowly but it seems to be moving along nicely to me. By this spring/summer you'll have a whole new space!

Pages: 1 2 3 130 replies